Stallion News

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:36 pm

I'm pretty sure that the winners of big "classic" races are referred to as the "[Insert Race] Champion" even if they never got an Eclipse.

Occasionally the winners of non-classic races may be referred to as champions, but not in the same way.

For example, California Chrome is the Derby champion, but you wouldn't say that Mind Control is the John Nerud champion.

That is how Go For Gin would qualify even if he never got an award.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Nenikikamen23

Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:16 pm

Not sure if it's been posted about but G3W My Prankster (Into Mischief - My Wandy's Girl, by Flower Alley) is entering stud at O'Sullivan Farms LLC in West Virginia for $2,500
Dam a Puerto Rican champion
A is for Arrogate, A is for absolute superstar, A is for anointing
Nenikikamen23

Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:31 pm

Is Ride on Curlin still standing stud? I don't see him on Pleasant Acres' website and I never heard anything about him being sold or pensioned but maybe I missed something?
Anyone have any idea?
mariasmon

Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:49 pm

Nenikikamen23 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:31 pm Is Ride on Curlin still standing stud? I don't see him on Pleasant Acres' website and I never heard anything about him being sold or pensioned but maybe I missed something?
Anyone have any idea?
His last Report of Mares Bred was 2021. There are no exports or a death report in his record and his listed owner is still Pleasant Acres. Perhaps he was just pensioned from stud?
Flanders

Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:57 pm

Nenikikamen23 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:31 pm Is Ride on Curlin still standing stud? I don't see him on Pleasant Acres' website and I never heard anything about him being sold or pensioned but maybe I missed something?
Anyone have any idea?
I have to find it but he is pensioned.

I heard it in the 2014 video.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9166
Flanders

Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:13 pm

djnorth wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:05 pm Anybody know why some retirees go to KHP and some OF? There must be some difference in how transfers are handled, etc. Just curious. I know that KHP calls theirs the Hall of Champions but Go for Gin was there awhile back. Was he champion 3yo, or because he was a KD winner?
The Kentucky Horse Park has a Hall of Champions, those Thoroughbreds are Eclipse winners. But they've had Classic winners and Breeders Cup winners before but I think someone said on here that they were not in the Hall of Champions(like Da Hoss and Go For Gin) and were kept in another barn. And yes most horses go to OF because they can take a lot more horses. I'm sure KHP would have been looking for new Thoroughbreds but they lost Funny Cide and Point Given really close together, so they got the 2 new ones really close together.
Squeaky wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:31 pm
TapitsGal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:50 pm
Squeaky wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:13 pm

Did he fail at stud? Was he gelded?
I think he just hasn't been popular. Bred 9 mares this year
Gelded?
I would doubt it. They have had stallions before in the Hall of Champions. And yes he failed. He had 2 SWs, no GSWs, no Graded placed, his AEI is 0.66. He wasn't going to make it in Kentucky and if he was moved to a regional market, he'd probably be bred to 5 mares.

----
I wanted to add, I'm fine with stallions moving on if they fail at stud. But its nice that Hronis and Lane's End decided to pension him and send him to the KHP.
TapitsGal

Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:51 pm

Does anyone else think Spendthrift will relocate Thousand Words in the next couple years? According to the jockey club he bred 61 mares this year. I just can't see him staying at spendthrift much longer if that trend continues
TapitsGal

Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:54 pm

Squeaky wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:13 pm

Did he fail at stud? Was he gelded?
Gelded?
I saw it mentioned on social media that Accelerate is still in tact. He was placed in Point Givens old stall. Apparently his barn name is Celery Stick. Because the person was like "x" person drove him over from lanes end and Celery Stick is in point givens old stall
Flanders

Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:10 am

TapitsGal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:51 pm Does anyone else think Spendthrift will relocate Thousand Words in the next couple years? According to the jockey club he bred 61 mares this year. I just can't see him staying at spendthrift much longer if that trend continues
It will depend if he fails at stud. It was his 3rd year at stud and that is just how it is now. Most stallions don't get a lot of mares their 3rd season because by the time those foals get to the yearling sales, the verdict will already be out on the stallion. If the verdict is fail, then the yearlings will all be loses for the breeder. If the verdict is success, then those breeders that took a chance could make out well at the sales. Historically only about 1/3 of stallions make it in Kentucky past their first crop reaching 3 or 4. And even then, they still sometimes get moved later, like we saw with multiple stallions this year, such as Alternation, Lookin At Lucky, Honor Code, Creative Cause, etc.
Flanders

Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:23 am

Faversham, full to California Chrome, relocating to Clear Creek Stud in Louisiana.

https://paulickreport.com/news/bloodsto ... louisiana/
Akitaperson

Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:04 am

TapitsGal wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:51 pm Does anyone else think Spendthrift will relocate Thousand Words in the next couple years? According to the jockey club he bred 61 mares this year. I just can't see him staying at spendthrift much longer if that trend continues
It's spendthrift so probably, they seem to be a revolving door when it comes to stallions. One horse I think who won't make it to 2025 roster in KY is always dreaming
TwilightTear

Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:18 am

Flanders wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:13 pm
djnorth wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:05 pm Anybody know why some retirees go to KHP and some OF? There must be some difference in how transfers are handled, etc. Just curious. I know that KHP calls theirs the Hall of Champions but Go for Gin was there awhile back. Was he champion 3yo, or because he was a KD winner?
The Kentucky Horse Park has a Hall of Champions, those Thoroughbreds are Eclipse winners. But they've had Classic winners and Breeders Cup winners before but I think someone said on here that they were not in the Hall of Champions(like Da Hoss and Go For Gin) and were kept in another barn. And yes most horses go to OF because they can take a lot more horses. I'm sure KHP would have been looking for new Thoroughbreds but they lost Funny Cide and Point Given really close together, so they got the 2 new ones really close together.

Gelded?
I would doubt it. They have had stallions before in the Hall of Champions. And yes he failed. He had 2 SWs, no GSWs, no Graded placed, his AEI is 0.66. He wasn't going to make it in Kentucky and if he was moved to a regional market, he'd probably be bred to 5 mares.

----
I wanted to add, I'm fine with stallions moving on if they fail at stud. But its nice that Hronis and Lane's End decided to pension him and send him to the KHP.
Go For Gin was definitely in the Hall of Champion barn along with Funny Cide & Point Given. The groom let me feed him a treat through the window. I have a picture on my backup drive, I'll see if I can find it. He was in the same stall as John Henry and Alysheba.

https://kyhorsepark.com/memorial-walk-o ... o-for-gin/

I think KHP uses a very "loose" definition of "champion." For the general public (which is who KHP caters to), getting to see a horse who won the Kentucky Derby is more exciting than say seeing the champion turf male who has little name recognition outside of racing fans (think horses like Main Sequence or World Approval - not knocking them at all, but if you gave the general public a choice between Rich Strike and World Approval, they are going to want to see Rich Strike.)
djnorth

Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:19 am

You're right about GFG; I got to pet him the last time I was there. He was the first Derby winner I saw win in person so it was kind of cool. (Did I pick him to win? Of course not!) There's a little discussion on FB about KHP or OF as best retirement homes for racehorses. Outdoors & sheds vs. stalls and shows. They both tend to have horses living to ripe old ages. To me, that's the proof.
Gemini

Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:19 pm

Mylute wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:14 am Breaking: Accelerate WILL go to Kentucky Horse Park.

https://paulickreport.com/horse-care-ca ... champions/
“I feel it is important for the Thoroughbred community to share its racing superstars with the fans of our sport.”

Did Hronis say that with a straight face?

It’s easy to be generous with a superstar who’s no longer valuable at stud. He sure wasn’t in a sharing mood with Flightline.
Flanders

Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:14 pm

Somelikeithotbrown to Cabin Creek in Pennsylvania. No stud fee yet.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... creek-farm
Izvestia

Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:37 pm

Gemini wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:19 pm
Mylute wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:14 am Breaking: Accelerate WILL go to Kentucky Horse Park.

https://paulickreport.com/horse-care-ca ... champions/
“I feel it is important for the Thoroughbred community to share its racing superstars with the fans of our sport.”

Did Hronis say that with a straight face?

It’s easy to be generous with a superstar who’s no longer valuable at stud. He sure wasn’t in a sharing mood with Flightline.
Well, if Flightline is a bust at stud, maybe we’ll get to pet him at KHP too.
Nenikikamen23

Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:35 pm

Not sure if it's been posted here, but G3W Enforceable (1/2 to New Year's Day) was found to be infertile after retiring to Haras Rancho Fatima and re-entered training a few months ago in Peru. He finished 2nd upon his return to the track last month

https://twitter.com/Rickten/status/1669644019272409090
https://twitter.com/fotografodeperu/sta ... 0494350762
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:33 am

Aren't prospective stallions tested before retiring to stud? :?
If I were thinking of buying/retiring a stallion, I know I would want a vet to take a close look at his 'swimmers' under a microscope before I made any decisions.
Retrospectiv

Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:52 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:33 am Aren't prospective stallions tested before retiring to stud? :?
If I were thinking of buying/retiring a stallion, I know I would want a vet to take a close look at his 'swimmers' under a microscope before I made any decisions.

No
I read the reason many years ago but can't recall now. That's why they have infertility insurance....
Think about the fact also they'd have to pull a horse from training, and have them mount a mare or phantom to get that collection to test them. Most colts get those stud deals when they're still running and I'm sure most trainers wouldn't want to deal with colts who've now had a taste of something more appealing than racing LOL
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Retrospectiv

Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:55 am

Champion Stravinsky ((Nureyev - Fire the Groom)) has died in Japan from the infirmities of old age, he was 27.

"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."