Stallion News

brunanas

Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:33 pm

Slewfan, the "good" news is that the Japanese Studbook is 10000x better than the USA Studbook so you will know who he bred much easier, plus it seems that the farms are always posting footage of their guys. you will likely see videos often :)
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
mariasmon

Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:56 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:07 pm
mariasmon wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:56 pm Wow. I really thought they would give him more time. They certainly gave Mineshaft a lot longer than most farms would have.
Mineshaft got off to a really unfortunate start, but he never was a commercially popular sire even when he first retired….at least that I can remember. And I suspect his early offspring were just late developing - HC offspring were mostly slow. I wish they’d given him a chance with speedier mares - I suspect they bred him to long winded mares to bolster his chances of siring route horses.

But this really just seems like money. I don’t begrudge anyone for making money, but LE makes it hand over fist; I don’t know why they had to sell HC
I feel like Mineshaft was pretty commercial when he went to stud. He was a HOY son of A.P. Indy from a top female family. That's probably why he got mares that didn't really suit him. It turned out he needed mares with a lot of speed (even cheap speed), not the really classy router types. Seriously, check out someone the mares he covered in 2005: https://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php ... Horses&cf=

Also, maybe his leaving will be good for him and for Honor A.P.? We'll see.
Justahorse

Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:26 pm

brunanas wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:33 pm Slewfan, the "good" news is that the Japanese Studbook is 10000x better than the USA Studbook so you will know who he bred much easier, plus it seems that the farms are always posting footage of their guys. you will likely see videos often :)
Yea Shigeki Yusa on Facebook posts videos of creator and animal kingdom just to name a few of the studs there. I'm sure there's someone at the other farm who do the same
Slewfan2

Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:41 am

brunanas wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:33 pm Slewfan, the "good" news is that the Japanese Studbook is 10000x better than the USA Studbook so you will know who he bred much easier, plus it seems that the farms are always posting footage of their guys. you will likely see videos often :)
Thank you - I feel better about that !
Slewfan2

Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:46 am

mariasmon wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:56 pm
mariasmon wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:56 pm Wow. I really thought they would give him more time. They certainly gave Mineshaft a lot longer than most farms would have.
Mineshaft got off to a really unfortunate start, but he never was a commercially popular sire even when he first retired….at least that I can remember. And I suspect his early offspring were just late developing - HC offspring were mostly slow. I wish they’d given him a chance with speedier mares - I suspect they bred him to long winded mares to bolster his chances of siring route horses.

But this really just seems like money. I don’t begrudge anyone for making money, but LE makes it hand over fist; I don’t know why they had to sell HC
I feel like Mineshaft was pretty commercial when he went to stud. He was a HOY son of A.P. Indy from a top female family. That's probably why he got mares that didn't really suit him. It turned out he needed mares with a lot of speed (even cheap speed), not the really classy router types. Seriously, check out someone the mares he covered in 2005: https://www.pedigreequery.com/index.php ... Horses&cf=

Which is odd to me because Mineshaft wasn’t a plodder…but fortunately LE did give him time, and he became a solid sire.

I hope so. I really do believe in HAP, but his having bred only 39 mares is rather discouraging. He wasn’t like his sire in general in that he had speed, so I’m hoping he’ll get off to a much better start with his juveniles. He’ll need to, I think
Slewfan2

Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:47 am

Justahorse wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:26 pm
Yea Shigeki Yusa on Facebook posts videos of creator and animal kingdom just to name a few of the studs there. I'm sure there's someone at the other farm who do the same
Great to hear - Japan doesn’t seem quite so far away now
Honor Code

Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:07 am

I guess it's time to spend more time looking into Japanese racing. I feel like all my contemporary favorite stallions are there now. Declaration of War, Caravaggio, Nadal etc. and now Honor Code :cry:
tachyon

Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:17 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:52 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:40 pm It is also possible that the Japanese buyer convinced Lane's End that they had a plan for him, and had mares lined up. If anyone can get the best out of A.P. Indy's last good son, it would be the Japanese.
I’d love it if that were the case. I think he needs to be bred to speedy mares…he’s pretty decent on turf, too
I believe that this is wonderful news for breeders in Japan!!
And Yushun Stallion Station had many reasons to introduce this son of A.P. Indy(USA).

Firstly, A.P. Indy-line stallions have been doing very well and popular here.
Sinister Minister(USA)(Old Trieste), standing at Arrow Stud, has been very very popular recently siring such star horses on dirt as T O Keynes(JPN)(2021 JRA champion dirt horse), Mick Fire(JPN)(2023 Dirt Triple Crown winner) etc.
Pyro(USA)(Pulpit) has always been one of the most popular stallions standing at Darley Japan, too.
Majestic Warrior(USA)(A.P. Indy) and his son Best Warrior(USA) have also been doing well at East Stud and Yushun Stallion Station, respectively.

Secondly, as Starine already suggested, the cross of A.P. Indy and his sons and Sunday Silence(USA) mares are productive.
And Japanese breeders will also focus on Honor Code's broodmare-sire Storm Cat(USA), as the cross of Storm Cat and Sunday Silence bloodline is believed to be the most successful nicks.

Finally, dirt racing is getting more and more popular in Japan recently. :D

Welcome to Japan!
And good luck to him!!
mariasmon

Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:34 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:46 am

Which is odd to me because Mineshaft wasn’t a plodder…but fortunately LE did give him time, and he became a solid sire.

I hope so. I really do believe in HAP, but his having bred only 39 mares is rather discouraging. He wasn’t like his sire in general in that he had speed, so I’m hoping he’ll get off to a much better start with his juveniles. He’ll need to, I think
I strongly suspect Lane's End will not relocate HAP until his first crop has had a chance to run, so there's that. Hopefully they hit the ground running.

Mineshaft became a nice sire after he was bred to cheaper mares. Go figure. He's very loved at Lane's End, though.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:18 am

I can't imagine that Honor Code is/was not beloved at Lane's End. But, aside from a money problem, they may have sold him if they believed he would be more successful over there. I also can't imagine they don't have some kind of buy back clause.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Slewfan2

Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:56 am

mariasmon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:34 am

I strongly suspect Lane's End will not relocate HAP until his first crop has had a chance to run, so there's that. Hopefully they hit the ground running.

Mineshaft became a nice sire after he was bred to cheaper mares. Go figure. He's very loved at Lane's End, though.
Oh I agree, but in terms of the market. I was excited for his yearlings because his goals were stunning - but given how ice cold he and his sire have been, I think no matter how good looking, they won’t sell. I hope his offspring land in good hands.

I adore Mineshaft - I think he’s a forgotten racehorse in some ways. I should visit both he and HAP
Slewfan2

Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:57 am

tachyon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:17 am
Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:52 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:40 pm It is also possible that the Japanese buyer convinced Lane's End that they had a plan for him, and had mares lined up. If anyone can get the best out of A.P. Indy's last good son, it would be the Japanese.
I’d love it if that were the case. I think he needs to be bred to speedy mares…he’s pretty decent on turf, too
I believe that this is wonderful news for breeders in Japan!!
And Yushun Stallion Station had many reasons to introduce this son of A.P. Indy(USA).

Firstly, A.P. Indy-line stallions have been doing very well and popular here.
Sinister Minister(USA)(Old Trieste), standing at Arrow Stud, has been very very popular recently siring such star horses on dirt as T O Keynes(JPN)(2021 JRA champion dirt horse), Mick Fire(JPN)(2023 Dirt Triple Crown winner) etc.
Pyro(USA)(Pulpit) has always been one of the most popular stallions standing at Darley Japan, too.
Majestic Warrior(USA)(A.P. Indy) and his son Best Warrior(USA) have also been doing well at East Stud and Yushun Stallion Station, respectively.

Secondly, as Starine already suggested, the cross of A.P. Indy and his sons and Sunday Silence(USA) mares are productive.
And Japanese breeders will also focus on Honor Code's broodmare-sire Storm Cat(USA), as the cross of Storm Cat and Sunday Silence bloodline is believed to be the most successful nicks.

Finally, dirt racing is getting more and more popular in Japan recently. :D

Welcome to Japan!
And good luck to him!!
Wonderful! I’m glad HC is with people who want and love him!
mariasmon

Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:04 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:56 am

Oh I agree, but in terms of the market. I was excited for his yearlings because his goals were stunning - but given how ice cold he and his sire have been, I think no matter how good looking, they won’t sell. I hope his offspring land in good hands.

I adore Mineshaft - I think he’s a forgotten racehorse in some ways. I should visit both he and HAP
They might not be high priced yearlings, but if they look good, people will buy them. The market wants good looking & good moving horses who vet well. If they have pedigree/sire power on top of that, they get expensive. If there is buzz about his first 2YOs when they hit the market, that will help.
Slewfan2

Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:00 pm

mariasmon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:04 pm

They might not be high priced yearlings, but if they look good, people will buy them. The market wants good looking & good moving horses who vet well. If they have pedigree/sire power on top of that, they get expensive. If there is buzz about his first 2YOs when they hit the market, that will help.
Good points...I’m excited to see them run ...not that much longer now!
mariasmon

Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:23 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:00 pm

And remember not to freak out at his lower number of mares for 2023. The 3rd and 4th years at stud are tough for most stallions.
Slewfan2

Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:44 pm

mariasmon wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:23 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:00 pm

And remember not to freak out at his lower number of mares for 2023. The 3rd and 4th years at stud are tough for most stallions.
Thank you for the reminder ! I’m going to just look forward to seeing his offspring, and not worry about the future.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:15 pm

Looks like Mishriff is doing a lot better!
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/n ... gw2Q2dkRV/
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Squeaky

Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:58 pm

Mylute wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:15 pm Looks like Mishriff is doing a lot better!
https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/n ... gw2Q2dkRV/
Glad to hear this and wish him much success! I wonder what the setback was in March- tried to bring him back too soon?
Northport

Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:48 pm

I do wonder if Honor Code would’ve earned his keep a bit more if he had been priced realistically the last few years.
weeeeeeeee
Justahorse

Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:27 am