Zenyatta News

mariasmon

Tue May 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Sparrow Castle

Tue May 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Thanks for posting that, mariasmon. Very unfortunate.

At least as of now, there's no death report for Zenyatta. Fingers crossed she's fine. Odd there's been no announcement on her website. Her fans must be very concerned.
CoronadosQuest

Tue May 08, 2018 6:36 pm

I was also concerned that there has been no updates on the filly either. Glad that report shows that the filly is still alive!
Flanders

Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm

I don't think it happened recently. My feelings are it happened sometime before her birthday pictures. I just say this because I saw pics of her from February and to me, she looked bigger than her birthday pictures. The rule for reporting "no foal" with the Jockey Club is, you only have to do it within 30 days of when the mare was supposed to foal. So she could have aborted in February/early March and we only hear about it now because this is around when she should have foaled.
Ridan_Remembered

Tue May 08, 2018 7:50 pm

Sparrow Castle wrote:Thanks for posting that, mariasmon. Very unfortunate.

At least as of now, there's no death report for Zenyatta. Fingers crossed she's fine. Odd there's been no announcement on her website. Her fans must be very concerned.
If I understand you correctly, you mean a death report for Zenyatta herself, not her 2018 foal. If so, then I believe you should not be concerned about Zen, because if she had died it would be a big story in the racing media. That there is no such report probably means she's fine. Her human connections probably are not though, given the circumstances.
Dusty

Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 pm

I could be wrong but did they not breed her TWICE as first did not take - slipped?
May they run with the WIND
Squeaky

Wed May 09, 2018 3:13 am

From the Zenyatta forum from one of the posters: “On a private group I belong to, several people heard it from Dottie only two weeks ago that Zenyatta aborted the first foal after her first cover by Into Mischief and then she was rebred and she is due soon with the successful foal that took from the second cover. The rumor started because the last entry is not dated and no mention is made in writing of the second cover.”
Flanders

Wed May 09, 2018 5:15 am

Equineline wouldn't say she aborted the foal if she was still pregnant. If she slipped early in the pregnancy and got back in foal, they wouldn't even note the first foal that was lost.
Lots of broodmares slip foals and are successfully rebred every year. Its only noted if they do not produce a foal in a given year
Kurenai
Site Admin

Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 am

Wasn't her due date around the 11th May? Plus she's always a few days late. If she aborted she gets this year off, no biggie.
Life At Zen

Wed May 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t 300 days the marker for whether it’s an abortion or an early foaling? She was confirmed pregnant in July, not sure when she was actually bred (edit: June 3rd). When would 300 days have been? (edit: March 30)

So, she aborted before her birthday, April 1?
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Life At Zen

Wed May 09, 2018 6:49 pm

Kurenai wrote:Wasn't her due date around the 11th May? Plus she's always a few days late. If she aborted she gets this year off, no biggie.
Yup, May 11.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
lurkey mclurker

Wed May 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Life At Zen wrote:Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t 300 days the marker for whether it’s an abortion or an early foaling? She was confirmed pregnant in July, not sure when she was actually bred (edit: June 3rd). When would 300 days have been? (edit: March 30)

So, she aborted before her birthday, April 1?
But I thought there were pics up of her birthday this year, dated in April, and she looked like she had a foal belly in them... where is the shruggy emoji when you need it. This will have to do I suppose: :?: :?: :?:
Flanders

Wed May 09, 2018 8:19 pm

https://thecasualgalloper.com/2018/03/1 ... -realized/ - photos taken in February. to me she looks bigger in the one pic here than she does from any of her birthday pics.

Regardless. They wouldn't note that she aborted a foal unless it was late in her pregnancy. Equineline/Jockey Club only takes note of that if there is going to be NO FOAL at all. It doesn't matter if she was bred to Into Mischief and slipped and then was rebred. They would only take note of the 2nd time. If there is a Broodmare Aborted listing on Equineline, there is no foal to be born this year.
lurkey mclurker

Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Flanders is there ever a distinction between a foal born too early/stillborn and "aborted"? Could it maybe have been fairly recent, like the last week or two?
Flanders

Wed May 09, 2018 8:37 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Flanders is there ever a distinction between a foal born too early/stillborn and "aborted"? Could it maybe have been fairly recent, like the last week or two?
The terms are interchangeable but its late term when those are used. Otherwise they use the term Slipped. So yes it could have been in the last 2 weeks.
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 09, 2018 9:59 pm

No foal for Zenyatta in 2018

Hall of Fame racemare Zenyatta's run of bad luck as a broodmare continues as, according to Equineline, the mare aborted her pregnancy to the cover of successful sire Into Mischief and thus will not have a foal in 2018.

Since being retired in time for the 2011 breeding season, Zenyatta has had only two foals to survive to racing age thus far, neither a winner on the track. Her first foal, Cozmic One, by Bernardini, went unplaced in five starts. He is now training as a hunter-jumper, aiming for the 2018 Retired Racehorse Project Thoroughbred Makeover. In 2013, Zenyatta produced Ziconic, by leading sire Tapit. He currently sports a racing record of 12-0-2-6; he last raced on Feb. 9, and last had a published work on March 13.

Zenyatta produced a filly by War Front in 2014, and was not bred back for the following season. The filly suffered an injury that proved fatal in a paddock accident later that fall, after she was weaned. Zenyatta delivered a War Front colt in 2016, who aspirated meconium during delivery, and survived only a few days.

Zenyatta delivered a Medaglia d'Oro filly on May 9, 2017 before being bred back to Into Mischief. The filly, now a yearling, has been reported to be in good health. She is boarded at Lane's End, where Zenyatta also resides.
https://live.drf.com/nuggets/42389-no-f ... ta-in-2018
lurkey mclurker

Wed May 09, 2018 10:31 pm

So... one would assume DRF confirmed with Lane's End before publishing, or would they just post a "hey look at what's on Equineline" piece without that extra confirmation?

(I'm not doubting it, just after reading some of the denial going on at the blog & social medias, wondering how it will be perceived...)
Sparrow Castle

Wed May 09, 2018 10:32 pm

Nicole Russo @DRFRusso
36m36 minutes ago
Hall of Fame racemare Zenyatta's run of bad luck as a broodmare continues; according to Equineline, mare aborted her pregnancy to the cover of Into Mischief and thus will not have a foal in 2018. https://live.drf.com/nuggets/42389-no-f ... ta-in-2018

Betsy Bloom @BetsyBloom1
Replying to @DRFRusso
This is not meant as a challenge, but other sites have stated she slipped the first cover and was rebred. She looked pregnant in photos in April. Has it been confirmed she lost the foal since then? Just seems like a lot of conflicting information out there. If true, very sad.

Nicole Russo @DRFRusso
Following Following @DRFRusso
More Nicole Russo Retweeted Betsy Bloom
Equineline shows official records with The Jockey Club - and only lists the ULTIMATE result of the season (not mares slipping early/rebred, not catching on first cover, etc). Information appearing there is information filed with TJC by connections.
lurkey mclurker

Wed May 09, 2018 10:34 pm

And DRF answered that pretty definitively... thanks Flanders & SC. Such a shame. :(
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 10, 2018 12:25 am

Isn't it common for breeding contracts to include a "Stands & Nurses" clause? If there was in Zen's case, I presume she has the option to return to him next season to be re-bred.
I hope that happens, as I thought Zen's size/stamina with Into Mischief's speed/precocity was a good combo.
I also hope Z's MdO yearling filly has armed equine paramedics keeping an eagle eye on her, because she is rather rare and precious.
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Thu May 10, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.