2021 Report of Mares Bred

Flanders

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:02 pm

HB1994 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:56 pm
WarBiscuit wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 pm
Flanders wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:35 pm

It was 10k in 2021.
Thanks Flanders. For a talented earner of 9 and 1/2 million, I wonder why there would be such little interest in him? Just curious.

WarBiscuit
For one, he’s in the wrong country.
hahaha. You said it so much shorter and easier than I did. :lol:
HB1994

Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:09 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:02 pm
HB1994 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:56 pm
WarBiscuit wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:20 pm

Thanks Flanders. For a talented earner of 9 and 1/2 million, I wonder why there would be such little interest in him? Just curious.

WarBiscuit
For one, he’s in the wrong country.
hahaha. You said it so much shorter and easier than I did. :lol:
I found the hard numbers you provided very interesting. I still wonder why Juddmonte didn’t stand him in England, especially with him being so closely related to Enable.
CorridorZ75

Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:17 pm "Instagrand getting 190... yikes."

It's Into Mischief Mania. All his sons are more popular than their race records might justify. :roll:
Sort of like Storm Cat and his sons. Time is an ever spinning wheel...

HB1994- he would likely not have done well in Europe either. All they care about these days are studs that get precocious types- just look at how many well-bred, good racing sons of top sires get automatically shunted to National Hunt just because they were 12f horses. He might have a chance in Germany.
WarBiscuit

Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:26 pm

Thanks again Flanders - and HB1994 for your input and explanations regarding Flintshire. Very much appreciated!

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Izvestia

Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:19 am

Solomini with 91 and Honest Mischief with 127 is slightly shocking to me.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:27 pm

Honest Mischief is because....you know.

Maybe Solomini's foals looked really good? How many did he get the year prior?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Slewfan2

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:36 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:27 pm Honest Mischief is because....you know.

Maybe Solomini's foals looked really good? How many did he get the year prior?
Holy crap, 123 for Solomoni in 2020. Good grief, I know he’s by Curlin, but wow...and HC could only muster 29...
Northport

Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:59 pm

Yeah but Solomini is still an unknown quantity who could be the next Laoban. Honor Code, prior to mid 2021, had already shown a lack of results that had turned breeders off.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:10 pm

Its a regional market, different rules apply than all commercial Kentucky. Stallions stand for cheaper, its cheaper to board mares, there are more breed to race operations, more people have small farms of their own to raise their horses which cuts costs, etc.
Solomini is only the 2nd Curlin to stand in New York and from the family of Frosted and Midshipman. Honest Mischief is the first Into Mischief to stand in New York and is a 1/2 brother to First Defence, from the family of Empire Maker, Chester House, etc. They are both nicely bred stallions that showed some ability on the track, just not top ability, that is why they are in a regional market and standing for 5k and 6.5k.
Slewfan2

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm

Northport wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:59 pm Yeah but Solomini is still an unknown quantity who could be the next Laoban. Honor Code, prior to mid 2021, had already shown a lack of results that had turned breeders off.
I don’t know what happened to my previous response...it disappeared.

Good point, and also, Curlin is off to a promising start as a sire of sires.

Given that Honor Code is ice cold, are you surprised that Honor AP got 110 ?
Slewfan2

Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:43 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:10 pm Its a regional market, different rules apply than all commercial Kentucky. Stallions stand for cheaper, its cheaper to board mares, there are more breed to race operations, more people have small farms of their own to raise their horses which cuts costs, etc.
Solomini is only the 2nd Curlin to stand in New York and from the family of Frosted and Midshipman. Honest Mischief is the first Into Mischief to stand in New York and is a 1/2 brother to First Defence, from the family of Empire Maker, Chester House, etc. They are both nicely bred stallions that showed some ability on the track, just not top ability, that is why they are in a regional market and standing for 5k and 6.5k.
Also good points, which is why I only looked at stallions standing in KY for points of reference; I assumed Solomini and HM were standing there...my bad
Northport

Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:08 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm
Northport wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:59 pm Yeah but Solomini is still an unknown quantity who could be the next Laoban. Honor Code, prior to mid 2021, had already shown a lack of results that had turned breeders off.

Not really, it seems that most new stallions at the major farms can get 100+ mares these days. I would expect precipitous drops in his book sizes in 2022 and 2023 though.
weeeeeeeee
Slewfan2

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:39 pm

Northport wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:08 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm

Not really, it seems that most new stallions at the major farms can get 100+ mares these days. I would expect precipitous drops in his book sizes in 2022 and 2023 though.
Hope not, because he’s not his sire, but it could happen...and that would be depressing
Retrospectiv

Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:43 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:17 pm "Instagrand getting 190... yikes."

It's Into Mischief Mania. All his sons are more popular than their race records might justify. :roll:

HB1994- he would likely not have done well in Europe either. All they care about these days are studs that get precocious types- just look at how many well-bred, good racing sons of top sires get automatically shunted to National Hunt just because they were 12f horses. He might have a chance in Germany.
Agreed on Europe. And I doubt he'd even be that attractive as a NH horse as he looks a bit on the smaller, fine boned side. Still sad when a $9 million dollar earner really has no place to go.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
TapitsGal

Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:32 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:01 pm
mariasmon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:32 pm I'm fascinated that Honor Code got 29 mares and Hightail got 28. The only thing that makes sense is that Calumet provided all of his mares.
But then I think we could say the same about HC....I suppose I’ll be interested in how many mares he breeds this year, but it almost doesn’t matter...he’s hit so far rock bottom that he can’t bounce back no matter how well he does.

Mr. Speaker got 22, not that much fewer than HC...man. Well. I’ll just hope that he hits on a few ..

Wow, West Coast...now, Flatter isn’t known as a sire of sires, but he was a very good horse. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. In a recent article on his yearlings, even Bill Farish didn’t seem overly enamored
22 mares. No wonder mr speaker got shipped off to be a regional sire in Texas. Speaks alot for Mr.Farish admiration for honor code that he hasn't been Shipped out too. But being an AP Indy son I'd imagine Honor Code will be kept around for sentimentality sake
Slewfan2

Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:53 am

TapitsGal wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:32 am
Slewfan2 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:01 pm
mariasmon wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:32 pm I'm fascinated that Honor Code got 29 mares and Hightail got 28. The only thing that makes sense is that Calumet provided all of his mares.
But then I think we could say the same about HC....I suppose I’ll be interested in how many mares he breeds this year, but it almost doesn’t matter...he’s hit so far rock bottom that he can’t bounce back no matter how well he does.

Mr. Speaker got 22, not that much fewer than HC...man. Well. I’ll just hope that he hits on a few ..

Wow, West Coast...now, Flatter isn’t known as a sire of sires, but he was a very good horse. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. In a recent article on his yearlings, even Bill Farish didn’t seem overly enamored
22 mares. No wonder mr speaker got shipped off to be a regional sire in Texas. Speaks alot for Mr.Farish admiration for honor code that he hasn't been Shipped out too. But being an AP Indy son I'd imagine Honor Code will be kept around for sentimentality sake
Right, I don’t think Honor Code is going anywhere. In this most recent interview, Bill spoke about how undervalued he is, so there’s probably a bit of silent push back against this essentially rejection by breeders and the market. Plus, he and his father adore HC - they raised him and bought back into him later on (well before he raced). Then, of course, there is his sire - to say they love Indy is putting it mildly; he built their farm. There’s no way they are selling HC.
TwilightTear

Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:18 am

I really loved Afleet Alex as a racehorse and hoped to see him when I went to Kentucky but Gainesway was not hosting tours the week I was there. I never thought he was a terrible sire, and he might have been a stallion who would have done better in a regional market as his progeny seemed a better fit for breeders looking to breed a racehorse versus a sales horse. Obviously, his book last season was tiny and they have him standing for a private fee this year. Given his age (he's going on 20), will he likely stay at Gainesway long-term?
TapitsGal

Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:35 pm

TwilightTear wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:18 am I really loved Afleet Alex as a racehorse and hoped to see him when I went to Kentucky but Gainesway was not hosting tours the week I was there. I never thought he was a terrible sire, and he might have been a stallion who would have done better in a regional market as his progeny seemed a better fit for breeders looking to breed a racehorse versus a sales horse. Obviously, his book last season was tiny and they have him standing for a private fee this year. Given his age (he's going on 20), will he likely stay at Gainesway long-term?
Yes im pretty positive Gainesway is one of the farms that hangs onto their pensioners. I imagine they'll definitely keep Tapit when he's pensioned..he's been so prolific for the farm I just can't picture them sending him to old friends
TwilightTear

Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:15 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:35 pm
TwilightTear wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:18 am I really loved Afleet Alex as a racehorse and hoped to see him when I went to Kentucky but Gainesway was not hosting tours the week I was there. I never thought he was a terrible sire, and he might have been a stallion who would have done better in a regional market as his progeny seemed a better fit for breeders looking to breed a racehorse versus a sales horse. Obviously, his book last season was tiny and they have him standing for a private fee this year. Given his age (he's going on 20), will he likely stay at Gainesway long-term?
Yes im pretty positive Gainesway is one of the farms that hangs onto their pensioners. I imagine they'll definitely keep Tapit when he's pensioned..he's been so prolific for the farm I just can't picture them sending him to old friends
I have to think Tapit, at least, has more than earned a home for life. :D Sort of like A.P. Indy at Lane's End.

And I do think you're right about Gainesway hanging onto their pensioners, at least historically. If I recall Lyphard stood at Gainesway, and he lived a long time after being pensioned, dying at 36 (!!). And I think they did the same with Riverman, who lived to be 30.