2024 Fillies & Mares

Izvestia

Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:33 pm

HB1994 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 4:45 pm The extremely talented Ova Charged (Star Guitar x Charged Cotton) broke down and was humanely euthanized at Ellis Park today. She was 6 for 6 this year, all in stakes.
Terrible. Poor girl. RIP
Tessablue

Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:38 pm

Absolutely horrible, and I'm just going to say it: it's extremely likely that this happened because her humans failed her. Based in a notorious non-HISA jurisdiction, seventh start this year after a few that were extremely fast out of nowhere, and do you know how many works she's had since last November?

ONE. She's had one work in the past nine months. Zero since her last start a month ago. I know it's a natural (and admirable) human reaction to feel compassion for trainers in this scenario, but that prevents important questions from being asked.
Squeaky

Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:44 pm

I wonder if she had an intra-articular steroid injection in her RF fetlock before the race. LA racing is not helping racing or the health of horses by abstaining from HISA.
Cigarillo

Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:03 pm

HB1994 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 4:45 pm The extremely talented Ova Charged (Star Guitar x Charged Cotton) broke down and was humanely euthanized at Ellis Park today. She was 6 for 6 this year, all in stakes.
:( :( :(
Palace Malice

Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:20 pm

Maple Leaf Mel 2.0 :cry:
Flanders

Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:24 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:38 pm Absolutely horrible, and I'm just going to say it: it's extremely likely that this happened because her humans failed her. Based in a notorious non-HISA jurisdiction, seventh start this year after a few that were extremely fast out of nowhere, and do you know how many works she's had since last November?

ONE. She's had one work in the past nine months. Zero since her last start a month ago. I know it's a natural (and admirable) human reaction to feel compassion for trainers in this scenario, but that prevents important questions from being asked.
Looking at her record she had soundness issues, her 3 previous years she averaged 4 starts a year, with multiple big layoffs. She also raced in one of the other non-HISA states last out.
KatieK101

Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:30 pm

Oh, this makes me feel sick :( She was so much fun to watch, and so clearly loved by so many. This hurts the same way Maple Leaf Mel did.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:36 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:24 pm
Tessablue wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:38 pm Absolutely horrible, and I'm just going to say it: it's extremely likely that this happened because her humans failed her. Based in a notorious non-HISA jurisdiction, seventh start this year after a few that were extremely fast out of nowhere, and do you know how many works she's had since last November?

Looking at her record she had soundness issues, her 3 previous years she averaged 4 starts a year, with multiple big layoffs. She also raced in one of the other non-HISA states last out.
Yeah, it all just adds up to a very ugly picture. I was glad to see some scrutiny after New York Thunder last year, but what can they even do here when certain racing jurisdictions won't play by the rules and seem actively opposed to the welfare of their athletes? It's so discouraging.
Flanders

Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:46 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:36 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:24 pm

Yeah, it all just adds up to a very ugly picture. I was glad to see some scrutiny after New York Thunder last year, but what can they even do here when certain racing jurisdictions won't play by the rules and seem actively opposed to the welfare of their athletes? It's so discouraging.
Yeah I mean they don't even report things in certain jurisdictions. Like I heard that horses routinely ship from Mahoning to Mountaineer to get joint injections and then go back to Mahoning after a tiny bit of time. But they don't have to be reported because WV isn't in HISA. So who knows how many she got because we will never know. I guarantee they don't keep track of that stuff. Truly the only way to fix it is to flex on those states. Make a horse that races in a non-HISA state be automatically vet listed for 30 days if shipping out and don't allow them to export their signals. If it shuts down racetracks so be it. Any jurisdiction that doesn't want to improve for the safety of the horses doesn't deserve to race horses anyway.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:03 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:46 pm Yeah I mean they don't even report things in certain jurisdictions. Like I heard that horses routinely ship from Mahoning to Mountaineer to get joint injections and then go back to Mahoning after a tiny bit of time. But they don't have to be reported because WV isn't in HISA. So who knows how many she got because we will never know. I guarantee they don't keep track of that stuff. Truly the only way to fix it is to flex on those states. Make a horse that races in a non-HISA state be automatically vet listed for 30 days if shipping out and don't allow them to export their signals. If it shuts down racetracks so be it. Any jurisdiction that doesn't want to improve for the safety of the horses doesn't deserve to race horses anyway.
Totally agreed. I wasn't on here for a bit and don't know if it was discussed, but did you see this crap (https://www.drf.com/news/former-parx-le ... 20records.)? Trainer and a couple of his horses banned from Parx for clenbuterol positives, so he just shipped the horses to West Virginia where they were immediately claimed. It's disgusting. Blackball these tracks until they fall in line, and if they don't, oh well. If consolidation is what it takes to keep these horses safe, then consolidate away.
Starine

Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:04 pm

Really sad to hear about Ova Charged. She was extremely talented.
Flanders

Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:09 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:03 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:46 pm Yeah I mean they don't even report things in certain jurisdictions. Like I heard that horses routinely ship from Mahoning to Mountaineer to get joint injections and then go back to Mahoning after a tiny bit of time. But they don't have to be reported because WV isn't in HISA. So who knows how many she got because we will never know. I guarantee they don't keep track of that stuff. Truly the only way to fix it is to flex on those states. Make a horse that races in a non-HISA state be automatically vet listed for 30 days if shipping out and don't allow them to export their signals. If it shuts down racetracks so be it. Any jurisdiction that doesn't want to improve for the safety of the horses doesn't deserve to race horses anyway.
Totally agreed. I wasn't on here for a bit and don't know if it was discussed, but did you see this crap (https://www.drf.com/news/former-parx-le ... 20records.)? Trainer and a couple of his horses banned from Parx for clenbuterol positives, so he just shipped the horses to West Virginia where they were immediately claimed. It's disgusting. Blackball these tracks until they fall in line, and if they don't, oh well. If consolidation is what it takes to keep these horses safe, then consolidate away.
As messed up as what I'm going to say is, I really think its the truth. A horse going to Mountaineer is worse than ending up in a kill pen. Cause there is very little chance a horse makes it out of Mountaineer, at least they have a chance in a kill pen.
Squeaky

Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:14 pm

Noticed in this picture both of OC’s ankles have white spots on them ( pin firing?) -wonder what they are from? https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/l ... uthanized/
Summer Bird

Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:39 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:14 pm Noticed in this picture both of OC’s ankles have white spots on them ( pin firing?) -wonder what they are from? https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/l ... uthanized/
Those are definitely pin firing marks.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:44 pm

Adare Manor takes the G1 Clement L. Hirsch, with Scylla 2nd after leading much of the way.
But what was up with Trevor's pronunciation of Scylla? Sal-LAW? :?
Pretty sure Scylla is pronounced SIL-ah.
https://www.google.com/search?q=scylla+ ... s-wiz-serp
Diver52

Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:48 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:44 pm Adare Manor takes the G1 Clement L. Hirsch, with Scylla 2nd after leading much of the way.
Let's just hope he never has to try calling a horse named Charybdis!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:32 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:09 pm As messed up as what I'm going to say is, I really think its the truth. A horse going to Mountaineer is worse than ending up in a kill pen. Cause there is very little chance a horse makes it out of Mountaineer, at least they have a chance in a kill pen.
I hear you. Sometimes the truth is messed up.

Adare Manor obviously best there, but Scylla ran pretty well considering she probably prefers a target. And I do have to admire Mike Smith's commitment to floating his horses needlessly wide on the first turn...

Pretty Mischievous just hasn't gone on this year, unfortunately.
Slewfan2

Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:07 pm

Diver52 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:48 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:44 pm Adare Manor takes the G1 Clement L. Hirsch, with Scylla 2nd after leading much of the way.
Let's just hope he never has to try calling a horse named Charybdis!
I need that now, just for the race to be between Scylla & Charybdis 😂
Diver52

Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:09 am

Tessablue wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:32 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:09 pm As messed up as what I'm going to say is, I really think its the truth. A horse going to Mountaineer is worse than ending up in a kill pen. Cause there is very little chance a horse makes it out of Mountaineer, at least they have a chance in a kill pen.
I hear you. Sometimes the truth is messed up.

Adare Manor obviously best there, but Scylla ran pretty well considering she probably prefers a target. And I do have to admire Mike Smith's commitment to floating his horses needlessly wide on the first turn...

Pretty Mischievous just hasn't gone on this year, unfortunately.
Adare Manor was taken out of her game with the hell-bent front runners. I thought she had no chance at the quarter pole but she got out from the rail and was very powerful down the stretch. A five year old mare going from strength to strength. Props to her owner for keeping her in training--I thought she was entered in a sale earlier this year But I guess withdrawn?
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Tessablue

Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:13 am

Yeah, they sort of swapped their comfort positions, and Adare Manor was much better. Could be a truly spectacular Distaff this year with her, Idiomatic, Randomized, Thorpedo Anna...