2018 foals

mariasmon

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:25 pm

Via Veneto looks like she will be foaling in the near future.

https://foalpatrol.com/horses/veneto
ThreeMustangs

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Retrospectiv wrote:
serenassong wrote:
Thanks for that, I will be checking in

It seems that Via Veneto is a cribber- or is that something else she does?
She's definitely a cribber......
She’s in labor.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:31 pm

Watching via as she's in labor. I really like how clean the farm people keep the stall. The mare just pooed and someone came in immediately to pick it up. Still seems a little early in her labor at 8:30pm eastern.
Sparrow Castle

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Via Veneto's looked huge and miserable for days now. Glad it's looking like it'll be soon.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 pm

It's not just the stall that's clean...someone has groomed her until she's so glossy that you might be able to see your reflection in her coat. :D
The pads all around the perimeter of the stall are something I've not seen before, but they make sense.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:49 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:It's not just the stall that's clean...someone has groomed her until she's so glossy that you might be able to see your reflection in her coat. :D
The pads all around the perimeter of the stall are something I've not seen before, but they make sense.
She really does look beautifully groomed. Right now at about 8:50, she is lying down and seems to be resting, but there is at least one person watching outside her stall.

It's about an hour later now, 9:50pm eastern. Clearly the people watching her think Via is in labor, but she doesn't show any obvious sign of having contractions. She seems very quiet. She had been lying down, but now is standing quietly. I've read and heard that mares can delay actual foaling during the early stages of labor. Maybe that's what's going on over the last hour. They reduced the lighting some and seem to have backed off watching her closely. Although right now as I was typing this, she began raising her tail. So maybe soon. Well, she's quiet again.

Well, 9:15pm and still Via does not look like she's actively in labor. She's just standing in one place quietly. The people around her know what they're doing, but for my own education, question: How long would they wait before giving a mare whose labor isn't progressing a shot to help her contractions? Would they do that at all with mares like they do with people?
Last edited by Ridan_Remembered on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treve

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:10 pm

I'm surprised Bird Town hasn't moved to a foaling stall yet, considering her due date is 26th (although I saw upthread that she tends to be a week late?)
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
lurkey mclurker

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm wondering if that isn't where Bird Town will foal? Because there is a foal in the adjacent stall, you can see it through the window grille. It doesn't seem like a huge stall, but roomy enough maybe? I dunno.

And I went back and looked at Via Veneto's footage when she was lying on her side and she just looks like she's lying quietly to me, I didn't see any contractions/labor like when La Verdad was clearly having contractions. So it might be a false alarm or it might just be very early yet.
Flanders

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:31 pm

Treve wrote:I'm surprised Bird Town hasn't moved to a foaling stall yet, considering her due date is 26th (although I saw upthread that she tends to be a week late?)
Yeah they said in one of the videos she has almost always foaled 7 to 10 days late. When she starts showing signs that its getting close they will move her.
mariasmon

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:03 pm

I think Via Veneto was toying with us. They unwrapped her tail, too.
short_lead

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:15 pm

Yes, dang it. I kept thinking, "Oh boy, shouldn't be long now!" and now, who knows? LOL
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
Falinadin

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:17 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: The people around her know what they're doing, but for my own education, question: How long would they wait before giving a mare whose labor isn't progressing a shot to help her contractions? Would they do that at all with mares like they do with people?
Depends on the farm, but oxytocin (a drug that increases smooth muscle contraction) isn't given to mares very often for delivery. Once a mare starts stage 2 labor (active contractions), some farms immediately check to make sure the foal is in the correct position, some will wait 10 minutes or so before checking if there is no progression.
The foal should ALWAYS be checked before giving anything that increases contractions, because if the foal is malpositioned or too large and oxytocin is given, the uterus is basically pushing against an immovable object and tears/perforations can occur. Usually if a mare is simply tired, the assistants will manually pull on the foal rather than give oxytocin and make the mare work more.

Oxy is more commonly given after foaling to help the placenta pass.
Last edited by Falinadin on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:32 pm

"BaroqueAgain1 wrote:
The people around her know what they're doing, but for my own education, question: How long would they wait before giving a mare whose labor isn't progressing a shot to help her contractions? Would they do that at all with mares like they do with people?

Why am I being quoted? I didn't post that question. :shock: :?
Falinadin

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 pm

Weird I don't know lol, I must have deleted the wrong name when I was trimming the post. Sorry! I'll edit it.
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:16 am

It's OK. That was some interesting information about when to and when not to administer oxytocin.
Sparrow Castle

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:41 am

American Pharoah x Leslie's Lady

ernieinky @ernieinky
1h1 hour ago
Into Mischief, Beholder and Mendelssohn now have a new baby sister by American Pharoah @Beholder_Mare @coolmorestud @aobrienfansite
Summer Bird

Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:58 am

Leslie’s Lady’s foal is a cutie, but it’s weird to see a halter on her after she was just born.
Treve

Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:31 am

Aw what a sweet face! And yes I agree it's odd... seems a little premature for that amount of handling unless the filly needed a bit more help somehow?
Glad to know mum and daughter are both alive and well.
I wonder if they will try to breed her again - I feel like I remember reading not long ago that they wanted to get at least one filly out of her to keep before retiring her. Looks like they got their wish!
A filly named Ruffian...

Eine Stute namens Danedream...

Une pouliche se nommant Trêve...

Kincsem nevű kanca...

And a Queen named Beholder
Flanders

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:17 am

Treve wrote:Aw what a sweet face! And yes I agree it's odd... seems a little premature for that amount of handling unless the filly needed a bit more help somehow?
Glad to know mum and daughter are both alive and well.
I wonder if they will try to breed her again - I feel like I remember reading not long ago that they wanted to get at least one filly out of her to keep before retiring her. Looks like they got their wish!
All they had said was they would sell the colts and keep the fillies, which to me sounds like no retirement any time soon.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -mitchells
Ridan_Remembered

Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:44 am

Falinadin wrote:Depends on the farm, but oxytocin (a drug that increases smooth muscle contraction) isn't given to mares very often for delivery. Once a mare starts stage 2 labor (active contractions), some farms immediately check to make sure the foal is in the correct position, some will wait 10 minutes or so before checking if there is no progression.
The foal should ALWAYS be checked before giving anything that increases contractions, because if the foal is malpositioned or too large and oxytocin is given, the uterus is basically pushing against an immovable object and tears/perforations can occur. Usually if a mare is simply tired, the assistants will manually pull on the foal rather than give oxytocin and make the mare work more.

Oxy is more commonly given after foaling to help the placenta pass.
Thank you for your very educational response. I appreciate it a lot. One of the very best things about this forum is the opportunity to learn from people who have such knowledge to share. :)