2018 foals

Summer Bird

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:02 am

sweettalk wrote:the foal's out but they're really rubbing on it at there was an oxygen mask looking squeezy thing...

edit; the little fella's moving, but looks super weak.
edit2: s/he's jolting every few seconds, but is otherwise still.
Looks like they’ve got it propped up on a pillow? I’m having a hard time watching because the video keeps buffering on me.
sweettalk

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:05 am

they do, yeah. little dude doesn't look good but also i've never foaled a mare before so. :?:
Falinadin

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:08 am

He/she looks alright, a little more slow than some but ok. It's normal for them to be "jerky" like that.
sweettalk

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:09 am

Falinadin wrote:He/she looks alright, a little more slow than some but ok. It's normal for them to be "jerky" like that.
that's good to hear, i'm worried over here so someone with experience weighing in is excellent.

edit; youtube experts complaining about everything - too many ppl, the mare isn't interested, not enough bedding, pulling too much/too hard
Summer Bird

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:13 am

Ok pretty sure it’s a shavings bag. Foal seems to be ok since it’s making jerking movements. Now it just needs to be able to stand and nurse within the appropriate time frame. I can’t watch the video anymore because the constant buffering on my phone is making me mad.
sweettalk

Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:18 am

little dude looks ok now, trying to get up. had me worried there for a while.

edit; 90min and s/he still wasn't up. people came in to help, aaaaaaaand the feed cut. worried again.
Flanders

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:40 am

sweettalk wrote:
edit; youtube experts complaining about everything - too many ppl, the mare isn't interested, not enough bedding, pulling too much/too hard
Yeah and they will be the reason farms wont want to participate. The other night they were complaining about La Verdad's owner taking pictures of her mare. I tried to explain that Sheila doesn't have to share her mare in this way with fans but they were to stupid to understand.

Its In His Kiss's foal still hadn't stood when they turned the stream off. People blaming the farm left and right on that chat who have probably never been near a foal.

While I enjoy the idea of foalpatrol I just don't see why owners wouldn't shut the cameras off when a mare starts foaling. If everything is fine post a video of it later. Its not worth dealing with the idiots.
Flanders

Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 am

sweettalk wrote:little dude looks ok now, trying to get up. had me worried there for a while.

edit; 90min and s/he still wasn't up. people came in to help, aaaaaaaand the feed cut. worried again.
I missed the actual foaling. But the foal wasn't really trying to get up. It could only move its back legs minimally there was something amiss. The farm probably had a vet on the way.

You said they used oxygen on the foal. Maybe it is a dummy foal? Or it could have gotten injured during the birth.
sweettalk

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 am

yeah, it looked like a mask you'd use to anesthatize [sp?] people, but it had a squeezey thing on it. maybe it was a can. hard to tell. and yeah, the longer i watched, the more it became obvious he was just wiggling. i really hope the little fella's ok.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:53 am

Good morning all. Don't mean to start with a negative, but I hate the switch to DST. Anyway, I'm happy that the one foal is doing good and heartbroken to hear that the gray mare's foal might not be ok.

As for the stupid "YouTube people," maybe it will bring some comfort to remember the lesson of the bell curve. Mean IQ is 100. Approximately one third of the population has an IQ below 100. In the United States, that would be somewhere around 106,000,000 people. Just sayin...

Maybe I'm grumpy because of the time change. It's nearly 9:00am here when it was 8:00am yesterday. Talk about stupid... :(
Retrospectiv

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:26 am

Re: It's In His Kiss: read on the site from one of the foaling people at the farm that it's a filly. All they said was that they'd update tonight.
Not overly encouraging but I guess it's a wait and see.

I had that mare on all last night, turned my computer off late but I guess I still missed everything.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Personal Ensign

Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:44 pm

Looks like I missed it as well
There are other things that I could do, but there's really nothing that I love as much as horse racing. Chantal Sutherland

-Formerly LadyWeaver-
lurkey mclurker

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Reading back, kinda glad I missed it. :shock:

There's a new blog post up that says It's In His Kiss and her filly are both doing fine and have been moved to another stall, and that LaV will be back in it at her regular 3pm EDT time.

https://foalpatrol.com/horses/la-verdad/blog?nid=279

Hate the daylight springtime switch... woke up when my phone alarm went off, wondered why the house was so cold. It took a bit for my fuzzy brain to realize the thermostat was now an hour behind (it's digital but I have to reset the time manually)... brr! :roll:
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:02 pm

I'm not surprised that some keyboard foaling "experts" have been weighing in with their a-little-knowledge-is-a-dangerous-thing opinions. I used to watch MareStare, and a few years ago that service had to make their camera feeds available to Members only. And to sign up, you had to agree to keep your negative opinions to yourself or your membership could be suspended.
I know why they had to do that; I remember reading some pretty mean posts about how owners were handling their pregnant mares. I'm not saying that occasionally they weren't right, since MareStare tends to provide its service to small breeders who don't have Rood & Riddle on speed dial, but it got to the point where MareStare had to do something.
The whole point of MS, as I understood it, was to provide extra sets of eyes on a pregnant mare for owners who couldn't be right next to their mare 24/7. Making those owners reluctant to put themselves through a potential chorus of 'you're doing it all WRONG!' would also make them unwilling to subscribe to MS.
Maybe I should check out Foal Patrol. Link, please? :D
mariasmon

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:14 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm not surprised that some keyboard foaling "experts" have been weighing in with their a-little-knowledge-is-a-dangerous-thing opinions. I used to watch MareStare, and a few years ago that service had to make their camera feeds available to Members only. And to sign up, you had to agree to keep your negative opinions to yourself or your membership could be suspended.
I know why they had to do that; I remember reading some pretty mean posts about how owners were handling their pregnant mares. I'm not saying that occasionally they weren't right, since MareStare tends to provide its service to small breeders who don't have Rood & Riddle on speed dial, but it got to the point where MareStare had to do something.
The whole point of MS, as I understood it, was to provide extra sets of eyes on a pregnant mare for owners who couldn't be right next to their mare 24/7. Making those owners reluctant to put themselves through a potential chorus of 'you're doing it all WRONG!' would also make them unwilling to subscribe to MS.
Maybe I should check out Foal Patrol. Link, please? :D
http://foalpatrol.com/
lurkey mclurker

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:15 pm

https://foalpatrol.com/

ETA LOL MM sorry, I must have been copy/pasting when you were posting :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Thanks to both of you. :D
mariasmon

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:43 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:https://foalpatrol.com/

ETA LOL MM sorry, I must have been copy/pasting when you were posting :lol:
Ha ha. No big deal!
Summer Bird

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:16 pm

sweettalk wrote:yeah, it looked like a mask you'd use to anesthatize [sp?] people, but it had a squeezey thing on it. maybe it was a can. hard to tell. and yeah, the longer i watched, the more it became obvious he was just wiggling. i really hope the little fella's ok.
It very well could have been an oxygen pump. Sometimes if we can’t get all the fluid out, we’ll use it by just pulling the pump back. Wondering if it was the same for this foal.
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:47 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:There's a new blog post up that says It's In His Kiss and her filly are both doing fine
Good news, thanks for posting it.