Stallion News

HB1994

Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:42 pm

Content became Galileo’s 100th individual G1W today with her win in the Yorkshire Oaks.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:39 am

New York stallion Redesdale (Speightstown) is for sale via Thoroughbred Actions (online).
https://paulickreport.com/news/bloodsto ... mixed-sale

He is the sire of a few stakes horses and is from the immediate family of Danehill, Natalma, etc.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Akitaperson

Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:42 pm

Tiz Plan passed away earlier this month in Korea
Psychotic Parakeet

Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:09 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:42 pm Tiz Plan passed away earlier this month in Korea
Tiznow's direct tail-male line to Man O'War and Godolphin Arabian is becoming critically endangered of disappearing out of pedigrees at this point. Losing another possible viable [successful] link is sad. Same goes with Morning Line, who was taken away so early. I really wish we had a chance to see what Irap could have done as a stallion, as he had such a great female family.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Akitaperson

Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:22 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:09 pm
Akitaperson wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 2:42 pm Tiz Plan passed away earlier this month in Korea
Tiznow's direct tail-male line to Man O'War and Godolphin Arabian is becoming critically endangered of disappearing out of pedigrees at this point. Losing another possible viable [successful] link is sad. Same goes with Morning Line, who was taken away so early. I really wish we had a chance to see what Irap could have done as a stallion, as he had such a great female family.

It is sad the breed is heading for a genetic bottle neck if it isn't there already.
Psychotic Parakeet

Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:47 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:22 pm It is sad the breed is heading for a genetic bottle neck if it isn't there already.
With the advent of certain stud farms churning out hundreds of a foals every season from one stallion, we already crossed that line a long time ago. That is going to catch up in the next decade or so, if not sooner. It will be hard to find a pedigree that does not have Into Mischief, Giant's Causeway, Curlin, Tapit, A.P. Indy, Storm Cat, Galileo (IRE), Uncle Mo, or Candy Ride (ARG) within the first five generations. Pretty soon, that market will change with Justify flooding it.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Akitaperson

Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:49 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:47 pm
Akitaperson wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 3:22 pm It is sad the breed is heading for a genetic bottle neck if it isn't there already.
With the advent of certain stud farms churning out hundreds of a foals every season from one stallion, we already crossed that line a long time ago. That is going to catch up in the next decade or so, if not sooner. It will be hard to find a pedigree that does not have Into Mischief, Giant's Causeway, Curlin, Tapit, A.P. Indy, Storm Cat, Galileo (IRE), Uncle Mo, or Candy Ride (ARG) within the first five generations. Pretty soon, that market will change with Justify flooding it.

Horses with pedigrees like Rich Strike honestly make me sick. It's no wonder soundness is going to crap. Breeders (or greeders in the case of certain farms) don't care about soundness they only care about the money in the sale ring and what money the horse brings on the track. Even if the horse races less then 7 times.
Essential Quality

Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:41 pm

Anyone think there could be a chance that Justify "dethrones" Into Mischief, if not this year maybe next. he's currently sitting 4th in the general sires list behind Gun Runner and Mineshaft who are 3rd and Second, less then 2 million and 3 million behind them respectively. With Opera Singer and City of Troy coming to the breeders cup he would have 2 very live chances in the Breeders Cup Filly and Mare Turf and Breeders Cup Turf (Ik the Classic is the plan but I would love to see him in the turf, but also if he can transfer his talent to the dirt also a very live shot) and no doubt some horses yet to debut, horses yet to make stakes starts like Falling Snow and others will be winning a lot more when it only comes to it being August.

Unless something shockingly happens there is no doubt he is going to be the top 3rd crop sire, as he is over 4 million in earnings ahead of Good Magic and I don't see anyone catching up.

Me personally, I would love to see it, not because I like Coolmore, but to just wipe the "smugness" away from spendthrift over into mischief being the "reining" champion sire.
mariasmon

Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:50 am

Essential Quality wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:41 pm Anyone think there could be a chance that Justify "dethrones" Into Mischief, if not this year maybe next. he's currently sitting 4th in the general sires list behind Gun Runner and Mineshaft who are 3rd and Second, less then 2 million and 3 million behind them respectively. With Opera Singer and City of Troy coming to the breeders cup he would have 2 very live chances in the Breeders Cup Filly and Mare Turf and Breeders Cup Turf (Ik the Classic is the plan but I would love to see him in the turf, but also if he can transfer his talent to the dirt also a very live shot) and no doubt some horses yet to debut, horses yet to make stakes starts like Falling Snow and others will be winning a lot more when it only comes to it being August.

Unless something shockingly happens there is no doubt he is going to be the top 3rd crop sire, as he is over 4 million in earnings ahead of Good Magic and I don't see anyone catching up.

Me personally, I would love to see it, not because I like Coolmore, but to just wipe the "smugness" away from spendthrift over into mischief being the "reining" champion sire.
I think the champion reining sure is a QH 🧐
Essential Quality

Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:04 am

mariasmon wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 12:50 am
Essential Quality wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 11:41 pm Anyone think there could be a chance that Justify "dethrones" Into Mischief, if not this year maybe next. he's currently sitting 4th in the general sires list behind Gun Runner and Mineshaft who are 3rd and Second, less then 2 million and 3 million behind them respectively. With Opera Singer and City of Troy coming to the breeders cup he would have 2 very live chances in the Breeders Cup Filly and Mare Turf and Breeders Cup Turf (Ik the Classic is the plan but I would love to see him in the turf, but also if he can transfer his talent to the dirt also a very live shot) and no doubt some horses yet to debut, horses yet to make stakes starts like Falling Snow and others will be winning a lot more when it only comes to it being August.

Haha my bad I spelt that wrong 💀 reigning*
mariasmon

Sat Aug 24, 2024 2:18 am

Essential Quality wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:04 am

Joke's on me. I typed "sure" instead of "sire." I pretty much can't type on my phone.
sweettalk

Sat Aug 24, 2024 6:29 pm

Essential Quality wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 1:04 am

i thought you were making a pun and i liked it, lol.
KatieK101

Sun Aug 25, 2024 4:46 pm

Midnight Bourbon is a loss that still upsets my stomach. I was so excited that Tiznow had a big colt, one with a pedigree page that breeders would have flocked to. :cry:
HB1994

Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:53 pm

'He was pure class' - dual Group 1 winner Vandeek retired from racing to join Cheveley Park roster for 2025

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/n ... zo3s5Rx5y/
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:24 pm

G1W Sandringham Summit (Gimmethegreenlight - Townsend) will stand Varsfontein Stud. He is ½ to G1W Eden Roc.

G1W Thunderstruck (Rafeef - Varikate) will stand at Ridgemont Stud.

G2W Wild Coast (Trippi - Beach Beauty) will stand at Gelykfontein Stud. He is o/o a champion mare.

Celestial City (Silvano - Halfway to Heaven) will stand at Summerhill Equestrian in South Africa. He is full to champion Hawwaam, ½ to Rainbow Bridge, and ½ to Golden Ducat.

Frantastic (Frankel - Rhadegunda) will stand at Hopes and Dreams Stud in South Africa. He is a full brother to Cracksman.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Falinadin

Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:26 pm

I agree, I would have loved to have seen Irap at stud.
Normally I would want an older stallion returning to the U.S. to just retire, but I kind of hope Colonel John gets a few mares the next couple of years. Mostly just on the off chance that he gets a son with some talent.
brunanas

Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:04 pm

something i always wondered about Irap was why did he sell for so cheap at auction? did he look bad as a yearling and 2yo?
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Flanders

Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:27 pm

brunanas wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:04 pm something i always wondered about Irap was why did he sell for so cheap at auction? did he look bad as a yearling and 2yo?
There were more than likely a lot of factors at play. Tiznow wasn't a big sales number stallion. Sure he could get better than Irap RNA'd for but Irap was his highest selling 2yo(by far) in 2016.

There could have been something minor going on with him as a yearling or buyers got tired of spending money on Silken Cat's foals(see below). I can find his yearling picture from Keeneland but not one from OBS at 2. Doesn't exactly scream big money to me. He definitely became a better looking horse later.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... nis-oneill

But another factor could have been the dam herself. She wasn't sound and her foals weren't sound. They generally sold well but with so many having done nothing on the track at all, maybe buyers were just, no thanks? The only 3 that went through the sales as yearlings that weren't 1m+ were Irap(RNA at 140k), Zanazzi(360k) and One Cut Above(37k), these were 3 of her last 4 offered.

Speightstown was her first foal, he missed a ton of time, he got hurt at 3 and missed 21 months. He ran twice in May of his 5yo year and was off another 10 months. He had all his success at 6. Irap was her last foal. Of the 9 foals between them, one died as a yearling, 3 were unraced and one won. That was her cheapest, One Cut Above, who I can't find a race record for but he did win at 5 and 6 in Malaysia in 12 starts. Fiber Sonde, who was one of the unraced ones didn't sell as a yearling, he was retained by his breeder. He was clearly injured as a 2yo and sold later that year as stallion prospect only at Keeneland November for 8k. He has carved out a nice stud career in West Virginia. The ones that did manage to race managed 2, 2, 3, 9, and 12 starts. Besides One Cut Above(who also doesn't scream sound if he raced until at least age 6 and managed 12 starts), only one raced at 3. The others were already done.

This wouldn't have affected his sales price but just to show the soundness issues. We know what happened to Irap, he got laminitis after breaking down. His full sister produced Early Voting who managed 6 starts. His 1/2 sister, Gone Purrfect(full to Speightstown) produced G3SW Golden Hawk, who won both his starts at 2 and then brokedown in training in 2016. And I don't want to look to see if anymore did.