Zenyatta News

Life At Zen

Fri May 29, 2015 3:51 pm

Can someone check for a death report for Vertigineux? Rumours going around on that article that she died from colic last year, however I would figure Coolmore would've issued something seeing as she's Zenyatta's dam.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
Flanders

Fri May 29, 2015 3:59 pm

Life At Zen wrote:Can someone check for a death report for Vertigineux? Rumours going around on that article that she died from colic last year, however I would figure Coolmore would've issued something seeing as she's Zenyatta's dam.
I already did, she doesn't have one. She didn't have a foal in 2014 and wasn't bred for 2015 either. However, mariasmon posted in January that they had a 2015 no foal already submitted for her. I don't know why they would bother if she was dead. Of course, the could have died after it was submitted.

I feel sorry for Coolmore right now. You know their phone is ringing off the hook.
Life At Zen

Fri May 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Flanders wrote:
Life At Zen wrote:Can someone check for a death report for Vertigineux? Rumours going around on that article that she died from colic last year, however I would figure Coolmore would've issued something seeing as she's Zenyatta's dam.
I already did, she doesn't have one. She didn't have a foal in 2014 and wasn't bred for 2015 either. However, mariasmon posted in January that they had a 2015 no foal already submitted for her. I don't know why they would bother if she was dead. Of course, the could have died after it was submitted.

I feel sorry for Coolmore right now. You know their phone is ringing off the hook.
Thanks, and yep.... lol
mariasmon

Fri May 29, 2015 4:10 pm

Life At Zen wrote:
Flanders wrote:

Thanks, and yep.... lol
If I said there was a no foal report on file for her for 2015, I was mistaken. There is not. There would be no need for it if she wasn't even bred. Actually, there wasn't one filed for 2014, either. None of that looks too promising.
Flanders

Fri May 29, 2015 4:13 pm

mariasmon wrote:If I said there was a no foal report on file for her for 2015, I was mistaken. There is not. There would be no need for it if she wasn't even bred. Actually, there wasn't one filed for 2014, either. None of that looks too promising.
I am an idiot and missed the part where it said, Not Bred or No Foal, I just saw No Foal report. Sorry.

Now I think there may be some truth behind it. They have never been that forthcoming with their mares passing.
krmemories

Fri May 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Someone on the Zenyatta.com Forum posted the following:
Allie in TexasPermalink | Reply
May 29, 2015 at 1:57 pm
I guess sometimes it is better not knowing, but I promised that I would try and discover if the rumor of Vertigineux’s death was true or not. I have just received confirmation from Coolmore America that Vertigineux has passed. Rest in Peace Vertigineux.

Wishing it isn't true but I have a feeling it is true.
sweettalk

Fri May 29, 2015 5:31 pm

man, with diversy harbor, down town allen, moonlit stroll, and wilcox inn all dying in a short frame, i hate to hear that vertigineux is likely no longer with us.
Life At Zen

Fri May 29, 2015 5:39 pm

krmemories wrote:Someone on the Zenyatta.com Forum posted the following:
I guess sometimes it is better not knowing, but I promised that I would try and discover if the rumor of Vertigineux’s death was true or not. I have just received confirmation from Coolmore America that Vertigineux has passed. Rest in Peace Vertigineux.

Shit... I wish Coolmore would have said something. I know they aren't exactly fan-friendly but for such a mare you'd think they'd make an exception.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 29, 2015 6:32 pm

From everything I've learned about Coolmore over the years (admittedly just as a reader, not as an industry insider), they have little-to-no desire to make what goes on at their farm(s) public.
IMO, they don't want people to know what has happened to older mares. They don't want people to know if mares have had health problems, when they've died...or how they died. They certainly don't want outsiders inquiring if aged or ill mares have been sent to the knackers for their final fate, let alone opening themselves to any damage to their lovely Irish public facade if some well-loved racehorses have met rather unlovely fates.
If I'm wrong about any of these musings, please tell me off. This is a case where I would MUCH rather be very, very mistaken.
Izvestia

Fri May 29, 2015 7:12 pm

They are most certainly under no obligation to share any information about their horses. Unfortunately.

I take the ones that do share as simply being kind to "fans".
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 29, 2015 7:16 pm

Perhaps some farms have little reason to hesitate sharing news, because they know that the care they give their horses can stand the light of publicity?
mariasmon

Fri May 29, 2015 7:17 pm

Most farms are secretive, to some extent. Coolmore is the most secretive. Secrecy is like a religion for them. They have, from time to time, announced the deaths of prominent mares, though. For example: Cee's Song.
swale1984

Fri May 29, 2015 8:26 pm

Life At Zen wrote:There ARE some good comments on the Bloodhorse article. For example:

The Bid •6 hours ago
BLAME should be NEXT!!!!

Fred Lyon> The Bid •5 hours ago
No! He already screwed her once...
Someone on facebook said the same thing. I think that is too much Kris S. You want a horse that is trainable. Have a feeling that a foal from that mating could be a total head case.
lurkey mclurker

Fri May 29, 2015 8:30 pm

krmemories wrote:Someone on the Zenyatta.com Forum posted the following:

The same person also put up this comment in the same post (page 1, the one shown above is on page 2):
May 29, 2015 at 3:36 pm
Rest in Peace, Vertigineux. Coolmore America confirmed that she passed away 2 years ago. “Vertigineux hemorrhaged and died after foaling two years ago .
Regards”
ETA: And several inquiries are up on Coolmore's FB page asking for confirmation/details.
mariasmon

Fri May 29, 2015 8:33 pm

If she died after foaling, then why did they breed her to Tapit in 2013?
lurkey mclurker

Fri May 29, 2015 8:40 pm

mariasmon wrote:If she died after foaling, then why did they breed her to Tapit in 2013?
Well, and somebody else apparently posted on the Vertigineux FB page in September 2014 that she was euthanized due to colic. So who knows until Coolmore says something, if they choose to. I will live in my happy land of "la la la, can't hear you" until something is official. Plenty of time to be sad later...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vertigin ... 0087751773
Northport

Fri May 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Coolmore's well known secrecy + the psychosis that lives in the mind of 95% of Zenyatta fans = very good reasons to not tell the public about Vertigineux’s death. That's just my opinion on it.

I can see it now - Zenyatta-ites saying Vertigineux died from having too many foals and Zenyatta surely will suffer the same fate. :roll:
weeeeeeeee
flytpthestars

Sat May 30, 2015 8:55 am

I got an email from Coolmore just this morning. The rumor is true, she died after hemorrhaging post foaling.
Life At Zen

Sat May 30, 2015 9:09 am

flytpthestars wrote:I got an email from Coolmore just this morning. The rumor is true, she died after hemorrhaging post foaling.
Ugghh, that's awful.
Admin

Sat May 30, 2015 9:13 am

You all are better than the press many times.... No one there wondered and inquired, but you all did.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard