horses with unique coloring/facial markings

Flanders

Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:05 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:
ThreeMustangs wrote:
BaroqueAgain1 wrote:Is there a registry for English Thoroughbred Paint Horses?
Am I wrong in thinking that she gets that flashy coloring from her sire, Spottedick? :lol: And also wondering if he got his name because he has a spotted d*ck? :lol:
There's no way I'm going to Google it to be sure, but I think spotted dick is the name of a dessert in England. :D

Yes it is... :lol:

You can see pics/info about the stallion and "colourbred racehorses" here at the stud webpage: http://www.angrovestud.com/
So since they aren't pure Thoroughbreds are they allowed to race? Or are they all jump racers, which don't have to be pure Thoroughbred?
aethervox

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:13 am

Flanders wrote: So since they aren't pure Thoroughbreds are they allowed to race? Or are they all jump racers, which don't have to be pure Thoroughbred?
I think there are flat races where horses in Weatherby's Non-Thoroughbred Registry can compete.

What's interesting is that Weatherby's has a provision for adding horses to the Appendix to the General Stud Book from the Non-Thoroughbred Register as long as they have a minimum of 8 recorded crosses to a horse registered in the General Stud Book or any approved TB Stud book and the horse can show 'such performances in races open to Thoroughbred in both the Thoroughbred and Non-Thoroughbred sections of its pedigree as to warrant its assimilation with TBs' and the International Stud Book Committee has to unanimously agree to it.

I believe that's what the stud is aiming for - to add the tobiano color pattern to the thoroughbred breed.
Insane Crazy

Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:44 am

aethervox wrote:
Flanders wrote: So since they aren't pure Thoroughbreds are they allowed to race? Or are they all jump racers, which don't have to be pure Thoroughbred?
I think there are flat races where horses in Weatherby's Non-Thoroughbred Registry can compete.

What's interesting is that Weatherby's has a provision for adding horses to the Appendix to the General Stud Book from the Non-Thoroughbred Register as long as they have a minimum of 8 recorded crosses to a horse registered in the General Stud Book or any approved TB Stud book and the horse can show 'such performances in races open to Thoroughbred in both the Thoroughbred and Non-Thoroughbred sections of its pedigree as to warrant its assimilation with TBs' and the International Stud Book Committee has to unanimously agree to it.

I believe that's what the stud is aiming for - to add the tobiano color pattern to the thoroughbred breed.
I *think* the Jockey Club stud book also allows for non-TB blood after 8 generations? I could be wrong, though. Honestly, after eight generations, it doesn't seem like a big deal, especially if the non-TB horse had high TB blood to start (though I'm not sure what this particular farm's foundation tobiano was). No one would really be able to tell, and outcrosses never hurt anyone. Their site is pretty interesting -- I had no idea there was a French model they were following!

It's funny to see them going to all this trouble when I'm a minor follower of the conspiracy theory that cream re-entered the TB bloodstream recently through a non-TB "accident." Glitter Please and Milkie almost positively had cream hidden in their pedigree through "bays" and smokey blacks/browns, but some days, when I'm feeling particularly shifty, I'm not entirely convinced. [Adjusts tinfoil hat] Angrove should've gone the "well diddly dang, I don't know WHERE that came from!" route. :D
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Flanders

Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:02 am

Insane Crazy wrote: I *think* the Jockey Club stud book also allows for non-TB blood after 8 generations? I could be wrong, though. Honestly, after eight generations, it doesn't seem like a big deal, especially if the non-TB horse had high TB blood to start (though I'm not sure what this particular farm's foundation tobiano was). No one would really be able to tell, and outcrosses never hurt anyone. Their site is pretty interesting -- I had no idea there was a French model they were following!

It's funny to see them going to all this trouble when I'm a minor follower of the conspiracy theory that cream re-entered the TB bloodstream recently through a non-TB "accident." Glitter Please and Milkie almost positively had cream hidden in their pedigree through "bays" and smokey blacks/browns, but some days, when I'm feeling particularly shifty, I'm not entirely convinced. [Adjusts tinfoil hat] Angrove should've gone the "well diddly dang, I don't know WHERE that came from!" route. :D
They DNA test horses now, so I doubt that could slip by. It most likely has in the past though. Also they don't seem to know the horse's full pedigree, they had a link on their webpage:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/angrove+spottedick+gb
Insane Crazy

Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:57 am

Flanders wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote: I *think* the Jockey Club stud book also allows for non-TB blood after 8 generations? I could be wrong, though. Honestly, after eight generations, it doesn't seem like a big deal, especially if the non-TB horse had high TB blood to start (though I'm not sure what this particular farm's foundation tobiano was). No one would really be able to tell, and outcrosses never hurt anyone. Their site is pretty interesting -- I had no idea there was a French model they were following!

They DNA test horses now, so I doubt that could slip by. It most likely has in the past though. Also they don't seem to know the horse's full pedigree, they had a link on their webpage:
Oh yeah, it'd be really difficult now. I'm was just being cheeky. I find it quite odd that they don't have full pedigrees -- at the very least, you'd think they'd pick animals they knew at least the grandsires of to be their foundation mares...especially when the breeding occurred in 1985, which seems quite recent in the whole scheme of things. Not that it will matter in the end, I suppose.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Miss Woodford

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:20 am

Insane Crazy wrote:
Flanders wrote:

Oh yeah, it'd be really difficult now. I'm was just being cheeky. I find it quite odd that they don't have full pedigrees -- at the very least, you'd think they'd pick animals they knew at least the grandsires of to be their foundation mares...especially when the breeding occurred in 1985, which seems quite recent in the whole scheme of things. Not that it will matter in the end, I suppose.
I'm sure they do have his full pedigree, but Pedigree Query only lists TBs in its database. Lots of AQPS/NTR runners have those blank spots in the back of their pedigree.
Sprinter Sacre http://www.pedigreequery.com/sprinter+sacre Non-TB tail female (French Trotter!) in his 8th generation, so eligible to be part of general studbook, and of course eligible to race. Looking way back into his pedigree you will find Hackneys and Normandy Horses (light draft).
http://www.pedigreequery.com/neptune+collonges Non-TB tail female (Selle Francais) in only his *5th* generation so not eligible for inclusion in the general studbook of France, GB or the US but eligible to race - and to win the Grand National.

Those two, along with the vast majority of AQPS are geldings. Only non-TB MARES are traditionally used so Angrove is going about things a bit backwards.
Insane Crazy

Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Miss Woodford wrote:I'm sure they do have his full pedigree, but Pedigree Query only lists TBs in its database. Lots of AQPS/NTR runners have those blank spots in the back of their pedigree.
Sprinter Sacre http://www.pedigreequery.com/sprinter+sacre Non-TB tail female (French Trotter!) in his 8th generation, so eligible to be part of general studbook, and of course eligible to race. Looking way back into his pedigree you will find Hackneys and Normandy Horses (light draft).
http://www.pedigreequery.com/neptune+collonges Non-TB tail female (Selle Francais) in only his *5th* generation so not eligible for inclusion in the general studbook of France, GB or the US but eligible to race - and to win the Grand National.

Those two, along with the vast majority of AQPS are geldings. Only non-TB MARES are traditionally used so Angrove is going about things a bit backwards.
Since the PedigreeQuery link is all they provide for their stallion's pedigree, I I guess that's why I still find that a bit odd. But it does make sense that PQ wouldn't list non-tbs.

Thank you for sharing those pedigrees with non-TB lines. What fun! I find the AQPS thing very interesting. I am curious (as someone who isn't a breeder) -- why non-TB mares generally? Is it just a rule of thumb/tradition, or are there other elements as well?
Flanders

Sun May 03, 2015 6:56 pm

gr. f. by Flat Out - Greek Citizen(Proud Citizen)
Miss Woodford

Wed May 06, 2015 3:11 am

Insane Crazy wrote:
Miss Woodford wrote:I'm sure they do have his full pedigree, but Pedigree Query only lists TBs in its database. Lots of AQPS/NTR runners have those blank spots in the back of their pedigree.

Since the PedigreeQuery link is all they provide for their stallion's pedigree, I I guess that's why I still find that a bit odd. But it does make sense that PQ wouldn't list non-tbs.

Thank you for sharing those pedigrees with non-TB lines. What fun! I find the AQPS thing very interesting. I am curious (as someone who isn't a breeder) -- why non-TB mares generally? Is it just a rule of thumb/tradition, or are there other elements as well?
It's traditional in European warmblood breeding to have "blood" on top. Hotblood stallion to "native" mares - this goes back to the very beginnings of the TB breed itself when Arabian stallions were brought to England to improve the local mares.
But besides that, almost all steeplechasers are geldings. Almost all AQPS are steeplechasers. Therefore, almost all male AQPS are geldings, leaving only the mares to carry on the lineage.
Bold Carma

Wed May 06, 2015 7:28 pm

Thought I would share a new picture of my boy from today.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed May 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Very nice! And such a fine-boned head...you can really see the Arabian ancestry in him.
lurkey mclurker

Wed May 06, 2015 9:51 pm

Bold Carma wrote:Image

Thought I would share a new picture of my boy from today.
Heh, isn't he a little mr. sassypants... <3
BlindLucky

Thu May 07, 2015 3:02 pm

I can't remember who this is (saw him/her schooling in the paddock the next day, so I'll look it up later). It's an Asmussen trainee I've seen several times now. Love the face :D

Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
CoronadosQuest

Thu May 07, 2015 3:34 pm

That is Tapit Wicked! I love him to pieces. His face looks like a witch which I believe is how he got his name
BlindLucky

Thu May 07, 2015 3:36 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote:That is Tapit Wicked! I love him to pieces. His face looks like a witch which I believe is how he got his name
Thank you! I always see him in the mornings, so I never remember the name. I have a bunch of pictures of him as a 2-yr-old as well because of that face :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
CoronadosQuest

Thu May 07, 2015 4:02 pm

Oh, I'd love to see as many pics as I can of him! I keep hoping he will figure out the whole racing thing and become a star but... that hasn't happened yet hah. It's okay though! He is still adorable!
BaroqueAgain1

Thu May 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Starine

Sat May 09, 2015 12:07 am

A witch? I totally see it. Great name too.
Ketama

Sun May 10, 2015 12:49 pm

Silvery Moon, 4yo colt by I Was Framed o/o an Alzao mare, won his first race today at Cologne/GER. He was ridden by Andrasch Starke, who already partnered him when he achieved black type as a 2yo, when he finished 2nd in a listed race.

TBird

Sun May 10, 2015 1:53 pm

Ketama wrote:Silvery Moon, 4yo colt by I Was Framed o/o an Alzao mare, won his first race today at Cologne/GER. He was ridden by Andrasch Starke, who already partnered him when he achieved black type as a 2yo, when he finished 2nd in a listed race.

I love the matching silks!