New Conformation Photos

Starine

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:45 am

I was always interested in what the late Richard Stone Reeves thought of stallions since he painted so many... I think I remember reading that he really liked Swaps and Affirmed. Should probably go revisit my copies of his collection books; I always love reading his recollections of painting the horses and their personalities as much as I do gazing at the portraits.
Paseana

Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:13 am

I read that Richard Stone Reeves said that Buckpasser, Secretariat, and Affirmed were the most "flawless" horses that he ever painted.

He should know.
mariasmon

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:25 am

I don't know why anyone holds up Secretariat as perfect when he was so goose-rumped.
Admin

Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:52 pm

mariasmon wrote:I don't know why anyone holds up Secretariat as perfect when he was so goose-rumped.
I've always thought his looks were a bit magnified due to who he was. A good looking horse, certainly, but I think Affirmed was light years ahead of him in that department.
"This is how we roll in the Shire." -- Leonard
mariasmon

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Admin wrote:
mariasmon wrote:I don't know why anyone holds up Secretariat as perfect when he was so goose-rumped.
I've always thought his looks were a bit magnified due to who he was. A good looking horse, certainly, but I think Affirmed was light years ahead of him in that department.
Agreed.
serenassong

Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:08 pm

I think I remember reading somewhere that because of Secretariat's butt- if the racing didn't work out- they were thinking of using him as a hunter/jumper- I guess that type of rear is ideal for that?
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
Starine

Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Paseana wrote:I read that Richard Stone Reeves said that Buckpasser, Secretariat, and Affirmed were the most "flawless" horses that he ever painted.

He should know.
Buckpasser! That's who I was forgetting. I think that was his number one.
Northport

Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:52 pm

I don't know when these new pics were posted on the Aga Khan's website, but I know that they are new:

Dalakhani

Makfi

Sinndar

Siyouni
weeeeeeeee
bare it all

Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:45 pm

To me, Bernardini is the best looking horse in KY. I think it's just a very subjective thing to imagine your "ideal" thoroughbred.
Northport

Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:43 pm

Afleet Alex

Afleet Express

Birdstone

Hat Trick

Tapit

Tapizar

To Honor and Serve
weeeeeeeee
Starine

Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:44 pm

I love Dalakhani. He looks like he should be a prince's horse in a fairy tale.
mariasmon

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:03 am

Afleet Express has improved slightly. Afleet Alex has some nice qualities, but overall he ain't much to look at. I've always thought Birdstone was an attractive (little) horse. Hat Trick looks better in person. And it looks like To Honor and Serve is taking quite a long time to fill out that huge frame.
swale1984

Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:11 am

Starine wrote:I love Dalakhani. He looks like he should be a prince's horse in a fairy tale.

He is just gorgeous...reminds me a bit of an Arabian with that very refined head.
Izvestia

Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:43 am

Sinndar and his dapples! Love him.
Afleet Alex has such a recognizable face, I think it's his eyes.
It's hard to see it because of the colour difference, but I think Tapizar has the same body as Tapit (except Tapit's got a bit of a sway in his back). Of the Gainesway bunch I like To Honour and Serve the best.
Insane Crazy

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:46 pm

mariasmon wrote:Afleet Express has improved slightly. Afleet Alex has some nice qualities, but overall he ain't much to look at. I've always thought Birdstone was an attractive (little) horse. Hat Trick looks better in person. And it looks like To Honor and Serve is taking quite a long time to fill out that huge frame.
I agree with all of this. I feel like Afleet Alex looks nicer than he used to, to me, but maybe my tastes have changed (and he's still a slightly awkward horse).

But I quite like looking at Birdstone. He's very pleasing to the eye as a whole package.
Not a wholesome trottin' race, no, but a race where they sit down right on the horse!
Like to see some stuck-up jockey boy sittin' on Dan Patch? Make your blood boil? Well, I should say!
Kay16

Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:36 pm

Insane Crazy wrote:
Admin wrote:
Insane Crazy wrote: Are you guys just referring to that photo, or all photos? He's definitely fuzzy and not looking his best in the pic posted, but his official confo shot is exquisite (IMO).

I didn't mean to imply that he's not a good-looking horse, as he is. I think I was just taken aback (for lack of a better term) at the thought of him being the best-looking stallion in KY. But thinking about it, I'm not sure who I would think deserves that title. As for UR, for me, his short back sticks out like a sore thumb every time I see a photo of him, which may only be a matter of preference.
Ahh, yes, I agree that 'best looking stallion in KY' is a pretty subjective title. I don't know if I could definitely rank him #1 without a lot of thought (like you, I'm not sure who else I'd put in the race), but he's way up there.

His slightly shorter back doesn't bother me, but that could be the fact that I come from a H/J background. Could be different for someone focused entirely on racing!
I always thought as a race horse I don't see how people are so "in awe" with his looks but if I were to see him in a horse show ring, I'd want to buy him as my own hunter jumper.
serenassong

Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:54 am

Not really a Conformation shot- but just to darn cute not to share-
Super Saver doing his favorite thing (I have seen him lay flat out in the stall more times than I can remember, he is so funny!)- thanks Winstar!
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
lurkey mclurker

Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Another informal shot of Will Take Charge... my gosh he's built.

https://twitter.com/full_stride/status/ ... 8053654528
Izvestia

Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:59 am

He is handsome! Looks like his sire in a pretty red colour. I cannot wait to see how his babies turn out.
Charlie

Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:54 pm

lurkey mclurker wrote:Another informal shot of Will Take Charge... my gosh he's built.

https://twitter.com/full_stride/status/ ... 8053654528
I think he looks better if you ignore his neck and head.. for some reason it just doesn't fit is body in my opinion, maybe it's just the picture.