Zenyatta News

Life At Zen

Mon May 05, 2014 1:01 pm

Sheepish wrote:They just announced that Zenyatta won't be bred this year. As usual, I can't get on the website to read the whole thing.
It doesn't say much other than that. No news who she will be bred to in 2015.
Once upon a time there was a horse named Kelso.
But only once. ~Joe Hirsch
BlindLucky

Mon May 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Sheepish wrote:They just announced that Zenyatta won't be bred this year. As usual, I can't get on the website to read the whole thing.
I'm somewhat thankful for this, primarily so I don't have to keep hearing how cruel and greedy the Mosses are for using her as a "baby machine". Hopefully the nuts fade into the woodwork over the next year.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
amfuller

Mon May 05, 2014 1:21 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
I'm somewhat thankful for this, primarily so I don't have to keep hearing how cruel and greedy the Mosses are for using her as a "baby machine". Hopefully the nuts fade into the woodwork over the next year.
Me too. There is a new pic of Z14. She has the cutest face.
amfuller
serenassong

Mon May 05, 2014 1:41 pm

BlindLucky wrote:
I agree, and don't count on the nuts going away- just when you think that all is safe- they are there again. Just happen to glance quickly at the comments and it was enough for me- don't know why I keep punishing myself like that
"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"- Mythbusters
"Oh, What fresh Hell is this?!"- Sheldon Cooper(quoted from Dorothy Parker)- Big Bang Theory
"Sometimes I think he's the King of Stupid" - Old Man- Pawn Stars
sweettalk

Mon May 05, 2014 2:06 pm

see, i asked about this. i wondered if they wanted to free her up for a year to get her foaling date pushed closer to jan. again.

out of curiosity, the person who said they knew who she was going to be bred to, who did you hear? i'm not sure it matters at this point if you were supposed to know or not.
Private Thoughts

Mon May 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Perhaps this frees her up to be bred to a nice European or Japanese stallion. She will not be in foal and can be shipped and bred and returned in foal. I would love to see this happen.
Miss Woodford

Mon May 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:Perhaps this frees her up to be bred to a nice European or Japanese stallion. She will not be in foal and can be shipped and bred and returned in foal. I would love to see this happen.
I'd love to see her go to Galileo. But I doubt that will be happening.
violabella

Mon May 05, 2014 6:43 pm

sweettalk wrote:see, i asked about this. i wondered if they wanted to free her up for a year to get her foaling date pushed closer to jan. again.

out of curiosity, the person who said they knew who she was going to be bred to, who did you hear? i'm not sure it matters at this point if you were supposed to know or not.
She was booked to War Front. Apparently, booked to hold a spot I'm guessing? I will say that I'm not disappointed they are giving her a year off (this way she'll be set up to breed 4-5 years in a row if she catches early on) but I will admit that I'm bummed because this news makes me look less credible. :mrgreen:
sweettalk

Mon May 05, 2014 6:46 pm

violabella wrote:
sweettalk wrote:see, i asked about this. i wondered if they wanted to free her up for a year to get her foaling date pushed closer to jan. again.

She was booked to War Front. Apparently, booked to hold a spot I'm guessing? I will say that I'm not disappointed they are giving her a year off (this way she'll be set up to breed 4-5 years in a row if she catches early on) but I will admit that I'm bummed because this news makes me look less credible. :mrgreen:
based on the resulting filly, i'd be a-ok with her going back to him.
BlindLucky

Mon May 05, 2014 7:10 pm

serenassong wrote:
BlindLucky wrote:
I agree, and don't count on the nuts going away- just when you think that all is safe- they are there again. Just happen to glance quickly at the comments and it was enough for me- don't know why I keep punishing myself like that
I did the same thing. After reading a few, "At least she gets to raise her OWN baby this year" (the sort of people that post don't know the difference between Rachel and Zenyatta) and how cruel the Mosses have been for forcing her to have 3 babies in a row... it's like a wreck, it'll be ugly and I know I shouldn't look, but I do it anyway.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
EquineAnne

Mon May 05, 2014 7:38 pm

I think the person who posted that really didn't know. They were sort of "yanking us", LOL.
Lakeway

Mon May 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Private Thoughts wrote:Perhaps this frees her up to be bred to a nice European or Japanese stallion. She will not be in foal and can be shipped and bred and returned in foal. I would love to see this happen.
That was my thought also - if they're ever going to do it they're probably thinking now is the time...

ETA: Checked TrueNicks and the match with Galileo (IRE) is an A+
Last edited by Lakeway on Mon May 05, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firehorse

Mon May 05, 2014 10:10 pm

The KET episode that featured Zenyatta is online now - she's the last segment (around 18:45 mark I think)

http://www.ket.org/cgi-bin/cheetah/watc ... yli+001918
EquineAnne

Mon May 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Lakeway wrote:
That was my thought also - if they're ever going to do it they're probably thinking now is the time...

Why would they breed to a European stallion if they do not intend on racing there? Have they ever raced in Europe? Just seems odd to breed her to an oversees stallion.
swale1984

Tue May 06, 2014 12:07 am

EquineAnne wrote:
Lakeway wrote:

Why would they breed to a European stallion if they do not intend on racing there? Have they ever raced in Europe? Just seems odd to breed her to an oversees stallion.

Not to mention that she isn't the best shipper. If they want Sadler's Wells bloodline, they could send her to Medaglia D'Oro in Kentucky instead of shipping her to Coolmore.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue May 06, 2014 2:25 am

^ This...I was going to mention the fact that Zen is not a fan of flying. And I couldn't help but think about what happened to Unbridled Belle. Shipping a nervous (not to mention priceless) 1,300 lb. horse across the ocean may not be worth the risk to the Mosses...not even for Galileo's swell genes.
If we're talking about Sadler's Wells/Galileo, what about Cape Blanco? He's right here in Kentucky, I believe.
Private Thoughts

Tue May 06, 2014 6:51 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:^ This...I was going to mention the fact that Zen is not a fan of flying. And I couldn't help but think about what happened to Unbridled Belle. Shipping a nervous (not to mention priceless) 1,300 lb. horse across the ocean may not be worth the risk to the Mosses...not even for Galileo's swell genes.
If we're talking about Sadler's Wells/Galileo, what about Cape Blanco? He's right here in Kentucky, I believe.
Because he is not a proven stallion. There is only on Galileo.
Horsebagger

Tue May 06, 2014 9:10 am

Admin wrote:I'd understand the desire to send a turf mare to Galileo, but not a dirt mare.
Of all people who would consider her strictly a 'dirt mare', you'd be the last person I would guess. With all of her top performances on synthetic, and your strong feelings how synthetic plays like turf, not dirt, I wouldn't expect you to label her a dirt mare.

Or maybe I missed the subtle sarcasm.

I actually love the thought of her going to Frankel. She needs a speed influence, imo.
Horsebagger

Tue May 06, 2014 10:28 am

Admin wrote:
Horsebagger wrote:
Admin wrote:I'd understand the desire to send a turf mare to Galileo, but not a dirt mare.
Of all people who would consider her strictly a 'dirt mare', you'd be the last person I would guess. With all of her top performances on synthetic, and your strong feelings how synthetic plays like turf, not dirt, I wouldn't expect you to label her a dirt mare.

Or maybe I missed the subtle sarcasm.

I actually love the thought of her going to Frankel. She needs a speed influence, imo.
She may be good on turf too -- we'll never know. But her best race was on dirt. And I'd be breeding her to hopefully have dirt runners -- not turf runners.

As for Frankel, I'd wait til he proved himself as a good stallion before I'd send a [turf] mare to him. Plenty of good horses were busts as sires, and I'd not chance him when there are plenty of proven sires to go to. Plus, he's certainly not much to look at.
I get you're not a fan of Frankel. Given his initial book of mares (and the line of them currently waiting for a chance to go to him), lots of people disagree. As for thoughts he suffers from a lack of 'handsome' genes, I'll fall back on his performance on the track, his stride/action and how he runs every time over being pretty in terms of breeding runners.
BornToWin

Tue May 06, 2014 1:48 pm

firehorse wrote:The KET episode that featured Zenyatta is online now - she's the last segment (around 18:45 mark I think)

http://www.ket.org/cgi-bin/cheetah/watc ... yli+001918
This is a wonderful segment on her. Thanks for sharing!