Zenyatta News

lurkey mclurker

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:02 am

firehorse wrote:
Private Thoughts wrote:So with Z in every name is the new baby going to be named Z'Easter Bunny if it is born on Easter Sunday?
No, that would be Jezus.

*snickers*

This comment wins the internet.

:::gives you the internet:::
lurkey mclurker

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:26 am

omgosh she is the image of her mama!

http://instagram.com/p/nAMK10IqGx/
Lakeway

Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:32 am

lurkey mclurker wrote:omgosh she is the image of her mama!

http://instagram.com/p/nAMK10IqGx/
Thanks - was just coming here to post it, but wasn't quite sure how to. She does look like mom and both look so content...
Izvestia

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:45 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote:I'm bemused by all the griping concerning the use of "Z" in the names of Zenyatta's foals, or all of Kitten's Joy's "Kittens."
This is not a new practice. Alluding to the sire and/or dam's name is a well-established tradition, whether in horse breeding or pedigreed dogs and cats. And Norwegians. :lol:
How many Storm Cat offspring had "Cat" or "Storm" in their names? How about all the "Indy's" and "Slew's?" Or the "Native's" and "Dancer's?" Before that, I seem to remember "War" showing up in the names of Man O'War offspring.
Just sayin.'
Kitten is a real word. I have absolute no issues with it.
I hate the made up words. I am only saying that they could use a REAL word (even a word that isn't English) with the letter "Z" in it.
I think they are just doing that because it plays into 'pretty pony'/ teenager Zenyatta Fan Clubs.
perfectsoul

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:16 am

Awww. What a sweet photo of Z and Z14. She sure stamps her foals, doesn't she?
Ballerina

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:18 am

Ridan_Remembered

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:31 am

Baby is gorgeous and her mom is wonderful. Nice Easter present. :D
shortlead

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:26 am

Wonderful news!

Regarding the names with Z in them...no problem with it. Some might get annoyed possibly with a stallion's progeny all getting a similar beat (there could be hundreds of foals sired by a stallion) but Zenyatta will perhaps have ten to fifteen or somewhere in between. It's kind of fitting to have her foals' names give some remembrance of her, even after she is long gone. A very nice tribute to her, she has earned it.
Give me that short lead, give me that win by a nose, get them all home safely!
amfuller

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 am

shortlead wrote:Wonderful news!

Regarding the names with Z in them...no problem with it. Some might get annoyed possibly with a stallion's progeny all getting a similar beat (there could be hundreds of foals sired by a stallion) but Zenyatta will perhaps have ten to fifteen or somewhere in between. It's kind of fitting to have her foals' names give some remembrance of her, even after she is long gone. A very nice tribute to her, she has earned it.
Very well said. It's their horses they can name them how they like. I actually like the "Z" tribute in the names.
amfuller
Sheepish

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Izvestia wrote:Does it have to have a "Z" in its name? Did all of Secretariat's kids have "S" names??? At least if they are going to be using Z, use it in a real word, with proper spelling!!!
Yes, because all race horses have names that are real words with proper spelling. :roll: :lol:

And I don't think comparing the hundreds of foals a stallion has to the 12-14(ish?) that a mare will have in her lifetime. Though a very large number of foals by MDO have "d'Oro" in his name. Naming foals in a theme referencing the dam, especially a dam like Zenyatta, is pretty cool in my opinion.
Private Thoughts

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:42 pm

She is a very feminine looking filly.

Sure does look like her momma.
Izvestia

Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Who is she being bred to this year?
middleground

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:10 pm

Izvestia wrote:Who is she being bred to this year?
I hope they send her to Smart Strike or Giant's Causeway. Breeding her back to Tapit is an idea, if the colt looks as good in real life as he does in photos.
Sheepish

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:13 pm

I'm still holding out hope she'll see MDO eventually.
carole

Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:43 pm

Sheepish wrote:I'm still holding out hope she'll see MDO eventually.
Same here! I was thinking they may send her to someone like Malibu Moon or Curlin next. I'd also love to see her sent to Union Rags because he is throwing gorgeous babies and I think that match would be fantastic! However, the Mosses are not the sort of people to send her to an unproven stallion so I doubt they'll use any 'new' stallions.
swale1984

Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:56 pm

carole wrote:
Sheepish wrote:I'm still holding out hope she'll see MDO eventually.
Same here! I was thinking they may send her to someone like Malibu Moon or Curlin next. I'd also love to see her sent to Union Rags because he is throwing gorgeous babies and I think that match would be fantastic! However, the Mosses are not the sort of people to send her to an unproven stallion so I doubt they'll use any 'new' stallions.
Malibu Moon could be a possiblity, but I highly doubt she'll see Curlin. The Mosses seem to be selecting stallions that will produce slightly smaller offspring. Curlin's a big guy, and breeding Zenyatta to him wouldn't achieve what they seem to be aiming for. I'd like to see her go to Giant's Causeway eventually.
Miss Woodford

Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:32 pm

Sheepish wrote:
Izvestia wrote:Does it have to have a "Z" in its name? Did all of Secretariat's kids have "S" names??? At least if they are going to be using Z, use it in a real word, with proper spelling!!!
Yes, because all race horses have names that are real words with proper spelling. :roll: :lol:

And I don't think comparing the hundreds of foals a stallion has to the 12-14(ish?) that a mare will have in her lifetime. Though a very large number of foals by MDO have "d'Oro" in his name. Naming foals in a theme referencing the dam, especially a dam like Zenyatta, is pretty cool in my opinion.
If they were going for a theme related to the dam's name I would've gone with Police songs.
Flanders

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:44 pm

They say she has one sock. :)
No 1 Cares

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Flanders wrote:Image

They say she has one sock. :)
pretty little thing, thanks for the additional photo of her!
Ridan_Remembered

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:09 pm

She's adorable. Big soft eyes and very feminine. I love the curls sticking up between her ears, lol. People are playing around with names for her. If she were mine I'd go with Z Doll.