Zenyatta News

Miss Woodford

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Horses' eyes can't focus on small objects like we can - they can see far away, but not in great detail, and their color vision isn't that good either. So Zenyatta saw a blur on a small rectangular object that apparently made her owner very very excited, and she picked up on that energy.
mariasmon

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:19 pm

If Ann thinks Zenyatta has a clue what she was seeing, I have to question her sanity.
Allspice

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:35 pm

amfuller wrote:News from Mayberry Farm!!!!
http://www.zenyatta.com/news/news-from-mayberry-farm
Cozmic One is certainly growing up to be a nice looking horse. Seems like a very chill one too, like Zen herself.

The last part...yeah. But you know, to her Zenyatta is a pet and I think most pet owners are guilty of anthropomorphizing them to some degree. ::raises hand:: I know I am with my cats. Sometimes it just really seems like they understand, even though on a rational level you know they don't.
amfuller

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:27 pm

amfuller
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:41 am

I love the sound, listening to Zenyatta eat her peppermint. And Z13...man he is one classy looking colt. He was classy looking from day 1. Even in a group photo, one's eye is drawn immediately to him.

We don't know what he's like in the herd, if he's a leader or follower, but it sure is hard for me to take my eyes off him. Got to be patient, but I'm really anxious to see him run.
Calypso

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:55 am

Ridan_Remembered wrote:I love the sound, listening to Zenyatta eat her peppermint. And Z13...man he is one classy looking colt. He was classy looking from day 1. Even in a group photo, one's eye is drawn immediately to him.

We don't know what he's like in the herd, if he's a leader or follower, but it sure is hard for me to take my eyes off him. Got to be patient, but I'm really anxious to see him run.
Easier said than done, eh? ;)
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
amfuller

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:11 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote:I love the sound, listening to Zenyatta eat her peppermint. And Z13...man he is one classy looking colt. He was classy looking from day 1. Even in a group photo, one's eye is drawn immediately to him.

He's the leader of the group! One of the people that won the trip to visit Z and Z13 said he was defiantly the leader.
amfuller
Delamont

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:13 pm

His head is higher. He looks more alert. The others appear somewhat uncertain.

Yup. Leader.
TBird

Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:30 pm

Delamont wrote:His head is higher. He looks more alert. The others appear somewhat uncertain.

Yup. Leader.
Or it could just mean that he's more reactive to outside stimulii (spookier). That has nothing to do with leadership--which in horses doesn't really apply anyway. They're about dominence and pecking order within the herd, not leadership.
Ridan_Remembered

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:04 pm

TBird wrote:
Delamont wrote:His head is higher. He looks more alert. The others appear somewhat uncertain.

Yup. Leader.
Or it could just mean that he's more reactive to outside stimulii (spookier). That has nothing to do with leadership--which in horses doesn't really apply anyway. They're about dominence and pecking order within the herd, not leadership.
"Leader" in this context is just another way to say "alpha" or "dominant." From day 1 this colt has shown great curiosity about the world around him. We all know that, in general, horses are not high on the intelligence scale compared to other species. But within the range of equine intelligence, Z13 has always seemed quite smart. Now maybe I'm reading too much into the photos and occasional videos we've seen of him, but to my eye he has no trace of spookiness, but has class written all over him. Whether or not that translates into racing talent, only time will tell, of course.
Diver52

Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:29 pm

The colt on the right sure was behind the door when looks were passed out! :lol:
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
BornToWin

Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Z13 resembles his dam with that head in the air watchfulness. The colt on the far right looks younger than the others.
Ridan_Remembered

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:39 am

BornToWin wrote:Z13 resembles his dam with that head in the air watchfulness. The colt on the far right looks younger than the others.
The "head in the air watchfulness," as you put it, seems to be a fairly common trait among top class racehorses. I'm reminded immediately of John Henry, but there are other examples. Man o'War had the same trait, even as a young foal.
Squeaky

Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:46 pm

When is the Queen due? Must be getting close- or is not until mid- to late April this year...
swale1984

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Squeaky wrote:When is the Queen due? Must be getting close- or is not until mid- to late April this year...

I thought I read on the Zenyatta forum that it was around April 15th.
Diver52

Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:04 pm

[img]http://www.zenyatta.com/news/zenyatta-o ... onight[img][/img][/img]

She looks like a brick with legs! And a muddy brick at that!
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
BlindLucky

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:57 pm

I just read some of the comments on the photos from zenyatta.com for the first time. I'm guessing that there are a lot of people who like Zenyatta but have nothing better to do than post on her website all day. They have discussions about what their dog had for dinner, who is going to win Dancing with the Stars, and what is going on with the missing Malaysian airliner. Almost nothing has to do with Zenyatta, it's just a bunch of people using the comments section of the site to chat with each other. Kind of bizarre.
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com
islandgirl45

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:30 pm

BlindLucky wrote:I just read some of the comments on the photos from zenyatta.com for the first time. I'm guessing that there are a lot of people who like Zenyatta but have nothing better to do than post on her website all day. They have discussions about what their dog had for dinner, who is going to win Dancing with the Stars, and what is going on with the missing Malaysian airliner. Almost nothing has to do with Zenyatta, it's just a bunch of people using the comments section of the site to chat with each other. Kind of bizarre.
I read your comment and looked at Zenyatta.com. Under forums it lists the following topics on the first page. I quickly looked at several, though not all. They seem pretty much on topic, although I suppose they could go off like some of ours do. ;)
  • 2014 Foals
    Zenyatta's Waiting Room 2014
    Mark's Column 2
    Breaking News
    Mare Stare
    Mike Smith
    Bookings for Mares 2014
    Human Runners Honor Zenyatta
    Today in Horse Racing
    Mine That Bird movie
    New Stallions for 2015!
    Kentucky Derby 2014!
    2014 Dubai World Cup
    Horse Racing Injuries and Fatalities
    Tapit
    Curlin
    Palace Malice
    Racing's Future!
    Kentucky Oaks 2014
    Tiznow
    Kitten's Joy
    A.P. Indy
    HONOR CODE
    Candy Ride.
    Retirements
    Past the Grandstand: Horse racing through the eyes of a young racing fan
    ORB!
    My Special Girl - New Bolton Webcam
    Native Diver's Burial Site and Paulick Report
    Whats the best name for 13Z?
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
~President Dwight Eisenhower
Delamont

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:30 pm

Picture doesn't show. Too many ]]].
BlindLucky

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:53 pm

islandgirl45 wrote:I read your comment and looked at Zenyatta.com. Under forums it lists the following topics on the first page. I quickly looked at several, though not all. They seem pretty much on topic, although I suppose they could go off like some of ours do. ;)
Oh no, I don't mean the forums. That's a great place to discuss stuff. I mean the comments on the blog posts with pictures. This is one of the comments on the pic of Zenyatta grazing in the field, all muddy and about to pop:
To all of our Sherlock Holmes and Watson’s on here. What do you all think is going on with this missing Jet Liner. It’s so horrific and terrible for so many reasons. To all the people affected I have you so much in my prayers, but I just can’t get past the system being turned off. Programing of the plane to turn. Alright Goodnight. …………….Just Baffling.
No country , Picking up anything conclusive happening to it. No crash seen by radar..

I guess we have to put on our Detective hats.
The comments on the photos are just people talking back and forth to each other about their kids and what their mom is doing in the hospital and totally random stuff :lol:
Photos from my racing travels: ThoroughbredJourney.com