CA Crown

Squeaky

Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:11 am

Who is pointing for it?
Curtis

Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:59 am

Squeaky wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:11 am Who is pointing for it?
I’m incredulous that Seize the Grey didn’t. I heard Baffert say specifically Muth is and I’ve heard chatter about National Treasure, too. Just a guess but that Glatt that won the San Diego and was favored in the Pacific Classic—Dr.V….. It would make sense Sadler would put that horse of his that just got late and got caught in the Pacific Classic. I haven’t heard if Doug is giving Mixto a race before the BC. You’d think there would be a shipper or two since the Santa Anita track is the same material as Del Mar. There, now you don’t really know any more than when you asked.😉
Northport

Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:27 pm

It truly is bonkers that Seize the Gray isnt there. The Pennsylvania Derby isn’t very competitive either, but this seems like an even easier spot. Plus, the nice bonus on the line.

And no one can try to convince me that the Pennsylvania Derby is the more prestigious spot.
weeeeeeeee
CoronadosQuest

Wed Sep 18, 2024 5:39 pm

Lukas felt that the CA Crown would be the harder race and due to the stud deal, they wanted the easiest race possible for him since he has had two losses after the Preakness
Flanders

Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:56 pm

Squeaky wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:11 am Who is pointing for it?
Nominations:

Arrowthegreat
Big Blue Line
Dr. Venkman
E J Won The Cup
Full Serrano(ARG)
Il Miracolo
Indispensable
Katonah
Mixto
Muth
National Treasure
Newgate
None Above The Law
Prince Abu Dhabi
Reincarnate
Senor Buscador
Skippylongstocking
Stronghold
Strong Quality
Subsanador(ARG)
There Goes Harvard
Two Rivers Over
Ultra Power
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:51 pm

Ultra Power (Curlin x Unique Bella) is nominated? That's very interesting. I wonder how likely it is that he runs, considering all the other Baffert-trained horses on that list?
Flanders

Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:58 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 10:51 pm Ultra Power (Curlin x Unique Bella) is nominated? That's very interesting. I wonder how likely it is that he runs, considering all the other Baffert-trained horses on that list?
I suppose it depends how many horses go, if he would make the field, and if the owner really wants to race. Do the Avengers actually race all 3 of theirs that are nominated? Quite a few of the non-Baffert horses are nominated to about every race that weekend that they can be at SA.

All the day's (and next day's) nominations/PPs are here.
https://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbHor ... cfm?trk=SA

Speed Boat Beach and Forbidden Kingdom are both nominated to both sprint races, haven't seen either of those in awhile. Linda's Gift is vet listed until the beginning of October, I'm assuming because of corticosteroid injection(its a 30 day and wasn't shockwave).
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:52 am

Thanks.
Missbeholder

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:23 am

I see that McCarthy has nominated my girl Sweet Azteca to the Zenyatta. That kind of surprises me because I've always thought her Breeders Cup path led straight to the F&M Sprint. I wonder why he would even consider taking that route. Her GI win came at a mile and the Zenyatta is only 1/16th further so that by itself shouldn't be a huge problem, but the 1-1/8 mile of the BC Distaff IS, not to mention taking on Adare Manor in one or both races, and potentially the likes of Thorpedo Anna in the latter!

Her latest workout was last Saturday, 9/14, with a middlin' 4f in 48.20 ranked 10/58, which is kind of slowish for her. Could McCarthy be thinking about using the GII Zenyatta as a fitness-builder for the ultimate cut-back to the 7f F&M Sprint? The other thing, too, is that with all the re-vamping of the Santa Anita BC prep schedule, I'm not sure that there's a more suitable prep for the F&M Sprint even available, assuming that Mike really wants a prep race for her.

I haven't spent the greater part of my life becoming a successful trainer of racehorses, but I'm such a huge fan of this filly, and the Zenyatta nomination kind of messed with my mind. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?🤔
Curtis

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:33 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:23 am I see that McCarthy has nominated my girl Sweet Azteca to the Zenyatta. That kind of surprises me because I've always thought her Breeders Cup path led straight to the F&M Sprint. I wonder why he would even consider taking that route. Her GI win came at a mile and the Zenyatta is only 1/16th further so that by itself shouldn't be a huge problem, but the 1-1/8 mile of the BC Distaff IS, not to mention taking on Adare Manor in one or both races, and potentially the likes of Thorpedo Anna in the latter!

Her latest workout was last Saturday, 9/14, with a middlin' 4f in 48.20 ranked 10/58, which is kind of slowish for her. Could McCarthy be thinking about using the GII Zenyatta as a fitness-builder for the ultimate cut-back to the 7f F&M Sprint? The other thing, too, is that with all the re-vamping of the Santa Anita BC prep schedule, I'm not sure that there's a more suitable prep for the F&M Sprint even available, assuming that Mike really wants a prep race for her.

I haven't spent the greater part of my life becoming a successful trainer of racehorses, but I'm such a huge fan of this filly, and the Zenyatta nomination kind of messed with my mind. Does anybody have any thoughts on this?🤔
I’m not surprised by it really. McCarthy could ship her to Keeneland as they have a 7f prep there. Running her at Santa Anita gives them options though. I could see Sweet Azteca wiring the field in the Zenyatta. If the race doesn’t take a ton out of her they can either cut back in the F&M Sprint where she’d be live as all get out or they could roll the dice and go after the Distaff. I like 9f better for speed horses than 8.5f because the run to the first turn isn’t so crazy. There’s a reason trainers don’t call for my advice but if they go the sprint route, I’d look into the Cigar Mile next. It would be all kinds of fun seeing her go a one-turn mile.
Starine

Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:55 pm

Pacific Classic runner-up Full Serrano is out after spiking a fever.