Claiborne's broodmare consignment plans

brunanas

Fri Sep 13, 2024 10:56 am

‘This Is About Taking Care Of Horses’: Rescue Mare Has Claiborne Mulling Policy Changes
https://paulickreport.com/horse-care-ca ... cy-changes

“Not much we can do this year since November entries are already submitted, but we want to implement an age limit for horses in the Claiborne consignment,” said Bishop. “We need to do a bit of research to figure out what the appropriate number is, but if someone wants to sell a mare (or other horse) over the age limit, they will have to do so with another consignor.”

That will require going through 10 or 20 years of sales data for Claiborne to check on the post-sale performance of older broodmares. Bishop said there are buyers who prefer to shop for mares in their late teens, when their prices may be lower, and have every intention of continuing the mare’s career in the breeding shed. The team will be checking registry records of mares they’ve sold in their teens to figure out if there’s an average age at which they seem less likely to produce registered foals after they change hands. It’s too early to guess what that age will be, but it will be based on data.

Claiborne has long maintained pensioners from its own breeding program in large, dedicated pastures on the farm’s extensive property. Now, Bishop said, they plan to offer that in-house retirement option to clients.

“Is it the best use of land? Probably not, but that’s not what this is about,” he said. “This is about taking care of horses.”

“If implementing an age cut-off and offering a retirement option prevents even a handful of these situations from getting to that point, it will be a win.”
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
PONYRCR

Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:24 am

The Bridge Santuary is run by an old forum poster Red Ransom. Not 100% sure if she posted here but she did on a lot of the old groups.
sweettalk

Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:54 pm

PONYRCR wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 11:24 am The Bridge Santuary is run by an old forum poster Red Ransom. Not 100% sure if she posted here but she did on a lot of the old groups.
beat me to it, i messaged her on twitter when i saw her name a few months ago, likely in a similar story. i hadn't thought of her in a long time and it was so nice to see her name for a reason like this. she's a wonderful soul doing amazing work.

and how cool for claiborne to try to make a stand against this. be nice if others followed suit but. $$$.