Stallion News

othybat_99

Fri Sep 06, 2024 10:51 am

I find it really interesting/weird people stand one-race horses...It's not like they proved much by just winning a single race.
“I play a little guitar, write a few tunes, make a few movies, but none of that's really me. The real me is something else.” - George Harrison
PONYRCR

Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:36 am

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:27 pm
bare it all wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:01 pm Heartland (Justify x Sambuca Classica, 2021 model) to stand next season for $10k at Winstar. Half to Classic Empire who won a maiden race in July 2023 and has balls.
They'll ensure he'll get books of 200+ mares to pass on that one race wonder brilliance and durability of cotton candy genetics. Thanks, Win$tar.
And in a few years when they have trouble getting more than 50 mares to him he'll be sold off to Korea or Turkey.
Thumbsucker

Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:22 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 9:13 am
Akitaperson wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:51 am
Timely Writer wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 8:40 am Heartland inbred to Storm Cat to go along with that lengthy race record, if I was breed to race I'd probably pass even if they paid me $20,000 to breed to him

I'd pass just because he's not sound and only raced once. Unsound sire and unsound son no thank you.

Not shocked he's inbred to both Storm Cat and Native Dancer. A little inbreeding doesn't hurt bit the amount that's seen in some Thoroughbreds is gross
That sireline's unsoundness is every stallion back to Northern Dancer. Scat Daddy never ran again after the Kentucky Derby. Johannesburg made it to June of his 3yo year. Hennessy never ran after 2. Storm Cat missed almost his entire 3yo year and they couldn't get him to the races at 4, though they tried. Storm Bird raced once at 3. ND was injured in July of his 3yo year, though he had 18 races by that point.

What if it was Phalaris that started it all? Yes he raced 30 times but he is the male line ancestor of all the Darley Arabian stallions. Of his sons that I can find race records for, they are almost all exceptionally low for that time and they raced between the War times so it wasn't that. Then every horse is inbred to him countless times over.
Just because he is the male line ancestor descending from the Darley Arabian doesn't mean he is the problem. Mares don't get the credit when horses win, but they also don't get blamed for unsoundness either. How many fillies and mares never make it to the race track because you were too unsound? There are mares who race for years but never see a quality stud because, they didn't win or place in a stakes race. Then there are fillies from "good families", retired after a couple of starts because they're uninterested in racing and sent to the most popular stallion around. The problem with thoroughbreds isn't a single tier problem. It used to be racing that decided which stallions went to the breeding shed, now it's who the sales make popular, and that needs to change. How horses are trained now has as if not more to do with the unsoundness seen in thoroughbreds today, too many trainers don't actually develope their horses and it shows.
Falinadin

Fri Sep 06, 2024 1:39 pm

Northport wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 7:55 pm
Mylute wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:54 am It's difficult.

It seems like the majority of Bernardini's "better" or "best" sons did get a chance in Kentucky or more prolific regional markets (like Florida). But while many of his sons definitely sired many graded stakes winners and competitors they simply did not churn out the consistent numbers or G1Ws required for the average Kentucky farm or breeder to want them. West Will Power is probably his best son to immediately get exported upon retirement rather than be given a shot at home, in comparison to the recent son Art Collector (RIP) who was due to move in at Claiborne. Many of Bernardini's best were gelded, like Imperative and Boban.

To Honor and Serve and Algorithms are the first two sons to come to mind as being sires of several GSWs and specifically one domestic G1W each (Eskimo Kisses and Math Wizard respectively).
Stay Thirsty was given a good chance at Ashford. He seems to be finding more of a niche out in California now
Yep, he's been doing fairly well out in Cali.
I think the only descendant of Bernardini in Kentucky is Coal Front, a son of Stay Thirsty. His progeny haven't exactly been lighting up the track though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he moves soon.
Miss Woodford

Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:34 pm

Essential Quality wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:35 pm Next thing we know, horses who have never stepped foot on a track are going to be going to stud due to the sire and them being a half or full to a "good horse".
Fiber Sonde is an example of this, but to be fair he's stood in WV for $1000 the whole time. He has proven his ability to sire sound horses and has had many offspring with long careers in the WV-bred stakes ranks, so maybe Heartland has a chance.
Timely Writer

Fri Sep 06, 2024 4:21 pm

Marking (by Bernardini) in New Mexico is doing good enough to make one wonder what he could do with an upgraded book of mares.
Akitaperson

Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:00 pm

Miss Woodford wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:34 pm
Essential Quality wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:35 pm Next thing we know, horses who have never stepped foot on a track are going to be going to stud due to the sire and them being a half or full to a "good horse".
Fiber Sonde is an example of this, but to be fair he's stood in WV for $1000 the whole time. He has proven his ability to sire sound horses and has had many offspring with long careers in the WV-bred stakes ranks, so maybe Heartland has a chance.
If heartland wasn't partially owned by winstar he'd be in a regional market. I think he'd do better in a regional market but honestly the only justify foal so far I am even remotely excited to see what he produces is City of Troy
CoronadosQuest

Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:36 pm

Honor Code wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 9:27 pm
They tried with Curlin to Mischief.
There is an unraced Arrogate standing at stud in Texas.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-reg ... s-hercules
Nenikikamen23

Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:00 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:36 pm

Arrogates I understand more, there's a limited quantity of those and at least Hercules is priced accordingly. Nothing limited edition about Justify, he's breeding more mares a year than most studs get in multiple seasons. I'd be less flabbergasted by the situation if WinS*** at least priced him properly. Between this and Nashville, someone needs to give their higher-ups a brain scan to see wth is up
A is for Arrogate, A is for absolute superstar, A is for anointing
Eohippus

Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:59 pm

Nenikikamen23 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 6:00 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2024 5:36 pm

Arrogates I understand more, there's a limited quantity of those and at least Hercules is priced accordingly. Nothing limited edition about Justify, he's breeding more mares a year than most studs get in multiple seasons. I'd be less flabbergasted by the situation if WinS*** at least priced him properly. Between this and Nashville, someone needs to give their higher-ups a brain scan to see wth is up
I mean, if people are paying to breed their mares to Nashville and Heartland, I don’t see why not
Izvestia

Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:21 am

They are trying to ride the Justify wave. With a horse that is a half to a flop at stud by a stallion that is hot… no guarantee that is passed down, especially to this particular fellow.
Psychotic Parakeet

Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:29 am

Nick Hines mentioned on Twitter Heartland had a bowed tendon.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Akitaperson

Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:50 pm

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social

Bloodhorse is only a fee months slow in making this article on Catalina Cruiser
Psychotic Parakeet

Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:10 pm

Colonel John is going to stand stud at Caines Stallion Station in Wynwood, Oklahoma. That is where Kentucky Derby and former Win$tar stallion Always Dreaming ended up.
I wanna do bad things with you.
tachyon

Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:00 pm

Mitole(USA)(Eskendereya) sired his first JRA winner, as his 2yo Jasper Soleil(USA) [o/o Hen Escape(USA) by Henny Hughes(USA)] broke his maiden in 3rd try under Yutaka Take at Nakayama R1 1200m dirt on Sep 8th 2024.
He is trained by Hideyuki Mori.
https://en.netkeiba.com/db/horse/2022110111/
3: 1-2-0

https://x.com/JRAVAN_info/status/1832596839323070977
othybat_99

Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:55 am

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:10 pm Colonel John is going to stand stud at Caines Stallion Station in Wynwood, Oklahoma. That is where Kentucky Derby and former Win$tar stallion Always Dreaming ended up.
Glad he gets another chance at stud in the US, I don't know much about him at stud
“I play a little guitar, write a few tunes, make a few movies, but none of that's really me. The real me is something else.” - George Harrison
Flanders

Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:26 am

othybat_99 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:55 am
Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:10 pm Colonel John is going to stand stud at Caines Stallion Station in Wynwood, Oklahoma. That is where Kentucky Derby and former Win$tar stallion Always Dreaming ended up.
Glad he gets another chance at stud in the US, I don't know much about him at stud
I think it was a surprise to most when he was sold because he was doing okay. He was fairly popular, he got over 120 mares his last year in the US , he was sold after the 2016 breeding season(in September). I guess the knock against him was he hadn't had a G1SW. He then got 2 G1SWs, La Coronel in 2017 and Mirth in 2018. G2s Airoforce(who is standing at the same farm as him), Concave, Texas Wedge, quite a few G3SW. Even now his Stakes Winners to foals of racing age is 4%, which is good.
brunanas

Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:55 am

per the SAF Studbook, Trippi (End Sweep) has been pensioned.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:08 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:26 am He then got 2 G1SWs, La Coronel in 2017 and Mirth in 2018. G2s Airoforce(who is standing at the same farm as him), Concave, Texas Wedge, quite a few G3SW. Even now his Stakes Winners to foals of racing age is 4%, which is good.
He's also the broodmare sire of Mystik Dan, Rushie, Bankit, and Society Man.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Slewfan2

Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:16 pm

I know nothing about how Catalina Cruiser has done as a sire, but he’s only got 2 crops to the races. I thought Lane’s End was known for patience - well they’ve not shown any with him. I don’t know how many mares he bred last year or this, but if this is their new MO, should I worry about HAP? I’m personally happy with his he’s done - 3 SP horses, and some I’m very high on - but he bred 39 mares last year, probably about the same this year, and based on the posts indicating who mares will be bred to next year, he’s likely to be bred to around the same number in 2025

I’m a worrier, so maybe I’m just being silly - but do I have reason to be concerned?