Raising racehorse foals

Squeaky

Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:23 pm

Question for Summer Bird and others with recent experience foaling at breeding farms. Is it common practice to give all foals a plasma transfusion routinely to help their immune system? I was taught this was only for weak foals that were unable to nurse enough or for those with low antibody levels on blood testing. That was 30 years ago and times seem to have changed-is this now routine for all foals? Thanks!
Bold Carma

Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:46 pm

My experience with the bigger farms isn't recent, but when I worked at one 20 years ago, all the foals were given hyper immune plasma to combat rhodococus equi.
Summer Bird

Sun Sep 08, 2024 8:34 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:23 pm Question for Summer Bird and others with recent experience foaling at breeding farms. Is it common practice to give all foals a plasma transfusion routinely to help their immune system? I was taught this was only for weak foals that were unable to nurse enough or for those with low antibody levels on blood testing. That was 30 years ago and times seem to have changed-is this now routine for all foals? Thanks!
When I was in college, we always gave every newborn foal plasma due to the soil in the pastures testing positive for rhodococous. Where I work now, we only do plasma if the foal still has low ig levels even after tubing more colostrum.
Squeaky

Mon Sep 09, 2024 9:25 am

Thanks-interesting how things have changed. SB, at your farm are all foals tubed with colostrum or just those who don’t initially nurse well? I remember Rhodococcus was just being discovered and reported as an issue when I was in school.