Life's an Audible

Thumbsucker

Wed Aug 14, 2024 9:18 pm

Does anyone know what happened to this Pletcher trainee? She been MIA since March.
Psychotic Parakeet

Wed Aug 14, 2024 10:05 pm

Jockey Club shows her with Pletcher, but nothing beyond that. She wasn't bred and not on the NYRA's vet list either.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Flanders

Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:50 am

Since it shows her certificate is with Pletcher, she definitely isn't at a NYRA track. NYRA requires it be assigned to them to get stall space. I would assume she had some sort of "issue" in February. She is probably at a farm or layup facility with the hopes of getting her back to the races at some point. However there is no mention of her being injured anywhere, which is typical for most trainers.
Slewfan2

Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:20 am

Delete
Last edited by Slewfan2 on Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slewfan2

Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:21 am

Flanders wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:50 am Since it shows her certificate is with Pletcher, she definitely isn't at a NYRA track. NYRA requires it be assigned to them to get stall space. I would assume she had some sort of "issue" in February. She is probably at a farm or layup facility with the hopes of getting her back to the races at some point. However there is no mention of her being injured anywhere, which is typical for most trainers.
Sort of on this subject….I’m following a certain baby, who hasn’t worked yet. I believe his certificate is with Clement, and he’s listed on his owner’s site as among horses in training. Can I assume that if he’s listed among horses in training and his certificate is with CC that he could start working anytime? He’s been on the website-HIT for a few weeks, listed w/CC longer. Is it unusual for a horse in these circumstances not to have worked if they were at the barn?

Sorry, one more Q. Another baby I’m following hasn’t worked since 7/11. He’s trained by Cheri DeVaux. My friend said a few days ago that he’s not on the vet’s list, and he’s at Ellis. He’d be on the list if he were hurt? Is it possible that he’s exercising, but not yet ready to work?

Thanks!
Thumbsucker

Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:24 am

Thank for the info. I'm just gonna hope she's okay.
Flanders

Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:56 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:21 am
Flanders wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 8:50 am Since it shows her certificate is with Pletcher, she definitely isn't at a NYRA track. NYRA requires it be assigned to them to get stall space. I would assume she had some sort of "issue" in February. She is probably at a farm or layup facility with the hopes of getting her back to the races at some point. However there is no mention of her being injured anywhere, which is typical for most trainers.
Sort of on this subject….I’m following a certain baby, who hasn’t worked yet. I believe his certificate is with Clement, and he’s listed on his owner’s site as among horses in training. Can I assume that if he’s listed among horses in training and his certificate is with CC that he could start working anytime? He’s been on the website-HIT for a few weeks, listed w/CC longer. Is it unusual for a horse in these circumstances not to have worked if they were at the barn?

Sorry, one more Q. Another baby I’m following hasn’t worked since 7/11. He’s trained by Cheri DeVaux. My friend said a few days ago that he’s not on the vet’s list, and he’s at Ellis. He’d be on the list if he were hurt? Is it possible that he’s exercising, but not yet ready to work?

Thanks!
If a horse is going to a trainer, their certificate is usually assigned to the trainer, even if its very early in the training process. Its impossible to know where he is at in his training so no its not unusual at all for him to not have posted a work.

As for the one at Ellis, anything is possible. Could be in light work, could be going out every morning and just not posting workouts, could be injured, could have gotten sick, etc. Its my feeling that a lot of tracks only put horses on the vet list if they got hurt while racing or training. Cause horses disappear for months and months and never show up on a vet list.
Slewfan2

Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:39 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:56 am

Thanks!
If a horse is going to a trainer, their certificate is usually assigned to the trainer, even if its very early in the training process. Its impossible to know where he is at in his training so no its not unusual at all for him to not have posted a work.

As for the one at Ellis, anything is possible. Could be in light work, could be going out every morning and just not posting workouts, could be injured, could have gotten sick, etc. Its my feeling that a lot of tracks only put horses on the vet list if they got hurt while racing or training. Cause horses disappear for months and months and never show up on a vet list.
Thank you!

The Ellis horse had been working regularly. When you at that usually horse are on the list only if hurt while racing or training, does that literally only mean that? And if they got hurt in the stall, say, he wouldn’t be in the list?

He looked like a good one, too - I hope he’s ok

Thanks again!
Flanders

Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:53 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:39 pm

Thanks!

Thank you!

The Ellis horse had been working regularly. When you at that usually horse are on the list only if hurt while racing or training, does that literally only mean that? And if they got hurt in the stall, say, he wouldn’t be in the list?

Thanks again!
Its hard to know cause they don't list reasons on the vet lists in most states. I mean visually hurt on the track, like ambulanced off. If they don't require an ambulance I don't think they show up on the list. And no I can't prove that, its my feeling/suspicion. Because California actually does state the reasons horses are on the list. Just an example, Tamara, we know she fractured a splint bone in the BC Juvenile Fillies last year but it wasn't apparent on the track. It took day(s) for that to come out and she was NEVER on the vet list for that.
Slewfan2

Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:22 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:53 pm

Thank you!

Thanks again!
Its hard to know cause they don't list reasons on the vet lists in most states. I mean visually hurt on the track, like ambulanced off. If they don't require an ambulance I don't think they show up on the list. And no I can't prove that, its my feeling/suspicion. Because California actually does state the reasons horses are on the list. Just an example, Tamara, we know she fractured a splint bone in the BC Juvenile Fillies last year but it wasn't apparent on the track. It took day(s) for that to come out and she was NEVER on the vet list for that.
Oh…eek

I guess the takeaway is that unless a horse you follow is trained or owned by someone active on SM, there’s really no way of finding out what’s happened with him
Flanders

Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:25 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:22 pm

Thank you!

Thanks again!
Oh…eek

I guess the takeaway is that unless a horse you follow is trained or owned by someone active on SM, there’s really no way of finding out what’s happened with him
Its not even the active on SM part, most either don't say anything or just say "has an issue". But like I said it doesn't mean the horse you are following is hurt or anything bad. Could just be they backed off the timed works.
Slewfan2

Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:14 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:25 pm

Oh…eek

Its not even the active on SM part, most either don't say anything or just say "has an issue". But like I said it doesn't mean the horse you are following is hurt or anything bad. Could just be they backed off the timed works.
That’s a good point. I just have to be patient - this isn’t like other sports, where we have coaches or managers giving updates on players, lol
genuinerizk

Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:58 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:14 pm

Oh…eek

That’s a good point. I just have to be patient - this isn’t like other sports, where we have coaches or managers giving updates on players, lol
My horse (he’s an OTTB with me now) developed a chip and was off 6 months. He lived at the track and continued to be hand-walked, but not on the vet’s list. The only reason I knew about it was because I kept an eye on entries and she wasn’t entering him, so I finally asked.
Slewfan2

Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:29 pm

genuinerizk wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:58 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:14 pm

My horse (he’s an OTTB with me now) developed a chip and was off 6 months. He lived at the track and continued to be hand-walked, but not on the vet’s list. The only reason I knew about it was because I kept an eye on entries and she wasn’t entering him, so I finally asked.
Thanks! I hope that’s not the case here. I don’t want to pester Cheri, so I’ll just wait for a bit and see…