2024 Two-Year-Olds

Curtis

Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:00 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:13 pm
Curtis wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:10 pm
Missbeholder wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:48 am

Thanks for posting that, stark. How some of you folks manage to find old articles like that just dazzles me! So Cool!!
Wow, I guess I remembered it almost flawlessly.😉 Speaking of Flawlessly, I’ve got another story for another day about the 1993 Gamely involving Flawlessly, CJ, Kent, Charlie and Bobby Frankel. It probably explains why Bushnell never hired Frankel as a spokesperson.
I’ll bite. Bushel the binocular company?
Us artist types aren’t much into spelling but I think it is Bushnell. At any rate, Flawlessly was 5, a two-time champion I believe and the horse to beat. The race might have been the Beverly Hills which ran under the exact conditions as the Gamely. Frankel was given what was considered the latest super filly from Europe, Jolypha, who was surprisingly put in the previous year’s BC Classic where she ran a really nice race to finish 3rd behind A.P. Indy and Pleasant Tap in what would be their final starts. I think Frankel had designs on later on trying Jolypha in the Hollywood Gold Cup, Pacific Classic and the BC Classic, but first things first, winning a nice G1 turf race. Bobby puts Kent on Jolypha as in 1993, he was at the top of his game and as good a jock as you’d want to find. Flawlessly, the veteran, had the equally veteran crew of Whittingham and McCarron. Only 2 signed up to oppose and in the lead up to the race, it was all just formality. Jolypha would win for fun, conquering Flawlessly the Queen while setting up for bigger pursuits. Being Jolypha was a European trained filly, Kent kept her covered up, at least as much as you could in a 4 horse field, and the race had a European quality early on. So CJ keeps Flawlessly wide and has Jolypha bottled up inside good and proper. At the 3/16, McCarron asks Flawlessly for her turf horse turn of foot and she answered be winning by a widening 10 lengths as Kent was trying to extricate Jolypha from the spot he willingly put her in at McCarron’s invitation. During the proceedings, I’m standing in the box seat area at Hollywood Park about 10’ from where Frankel is sitting. As Flawlessly is drawing off emphatically, Bobby is turning shades of red and purple that during my career as a color theorist, I’ve yet to identify. The whole time spouting language in several tones of blue. As Flawlessly crossed the wire Frankel, a lens in each hand broke his Bushnell’s to the extent they were two monoculars if they were usable at all. Now I’ve never wasted time wanting to be anyone else. I freely admit the only thing I’m remarkable at is being decidedly unremarkable. At that moment however, I knew without fear of contradiction who I didn’t want to be and that was Kent Desormeaux. I’ll say this for Kent, he should have handed the reins to the outrider after the gallop out, dismounted, scaled the backstretch railing and went into witness protection. He brought Jolypha back though and faced the music.
Squeaky

Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:38 pm

What a great story. Smart ride by McCarron. Frankel’s wrath sounds scary. How did they both do the rest of the year?
Curtis

Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:03 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:38 pm What a great story. Smart ride by McCarron. Frankel’s wrath sounds scary. How did they both do the rest of the year?
I don’t think Jolypha ever won another race. She had won an allowance or a little stake to prep for the race I mentioned but that was her highlight with Frankel. Seems like Corey Black might have ended up on her after the stake at Hollywood Park. I’m pretty sure Flawlessly ended up with another Eclipse that year. Charlie in the winner’s circle after the race I talked about, said something along the lines of maybe Flawlessly wasn’t the greatest mare but she was the best one. Frankel, to his credit, was an easy read. You didn’t have to decipher any code with him. He was a fantastic handicapper. Not true of all trainers. Also he revered Whittingham which put Charlie into an elite class of humans. Frankel was not a born, natural horseman. If you were in the classes equine or canine though, there was no better caretaker. Humans are complicated.
Flanders

Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:15 pm

Curtis wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:03 pm
Squeaky wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:38 pm What a great story. Smart ride by McCarron. Frankel’s wrath sounds scary. How did they both do the rest of the year?
I don’t think Jolypha ever won another race. She had won an allowance or a little stake to prep for the race I mentioned but that was her highlight with Frankel. Seems like Corey Black might have ended up on her after the stake at Hollywood Park. I’m pretty sure Flawlessly ended up with another Eclipse that year. Charlie in the winner’s circle after the race I talked about, said something along the lines of maybe Flawlessly wasn’t the greatest mare but she was the best one. Frankel, to his credit, was an easy read. You didn’t have to decipher any code with him. He was a fantastic handicapper. Not true of all trainers. Also he revered Whittingham which put Charlie into an elite class of humans. Frankel was not a born, natural horseman. If you were in the classes equine or canine though, there was no better caretaker. Humans are complicated.
Flawlessly won her 2nd Eclipse in 93. I think her crooked blaze is burnt into my memory.
Curtis

Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:00 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:15 pm
Curtis wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 5:03 pm
Flawlessly won her 2nd Eclipse in 93. I think her crooked blaze is burnt into my memory.
Flawlessly was a great mare. Charlie had an interesting method. He wasn’t at all shy about training them but really didn’t run horses as much as his contemporaries. He didn’t protect their records the way trainers do now but they weren’t overraced. Flawlessly lost one here and there but her daddy must have taught her to read the form because she seemed to know which races really counted and she performed accordingly.
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:59 pm

CHANCER MCPATRICK [McKinzie - Bernadreamy by Bernardini] was an incredible winner in the 7th at Saratoga. He came out of NOWHERE to win.
barbaro111

Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:14 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:59 pm CHANCER MCPATRICK [McKinzie - Bernadreamy by Bernardini] was an incredible winner in the 7th at Saratoga. He came out of NOWHERE to win.
That was amazing- even my husband who really does not follow racing was really watching that race and amazed with Chance McPatrick who came out of the clouds!!! A horse like that could make someone who doesn't watch a lot of racing, want to watch more and certainly follow a horse like this!
CoronadosQuest

Sun Jul 28, 2024 2:50 pm

barbaro111 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 7:14 pm
CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:59 pm CHANCER MCPATRICK [McKinzie - Bernadreamy by Bernardini] was an incredible winner in the 7th at Saratoga. He came out of NOWHERE to win.
That was amazing- even my husband who really does not follow racing was really watching that race and amazed with Chance McPatrick who came out of the clouds!!! A horse like that could make someone who doesn't watch a lot of racing, want to watch more and certainly follow a horse like this!
I don't normally exclaim out loud for maiden winners but I literally said HOLY SHIT and added him IMMEDIATELY to my VS.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:33 pm

Ferocious (Flatter x Napier [Midnight Lute]), a $1.3 million yearling, just won the 6th at Saratoga, a 6-furlong MSW for 2yos, in impressive fashion. Had a slow start, but charged down the stretch to whiz past the front runners and win by opening lengths. The FSN crew are falling over themselves with praise for this Flatter colt. And he kind of deserves it.
Good name, too. ;)
CoronadosQuest

Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:37 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:33 pm Ferocious (Flatter x Napier [Midnight Lute]), a $1.3 million yearling, just won the 6th at Saratoga, a 6-furlong MSW for 2yos, in impressive fashion. Had a slow start, but charged down the stretch to whiz past the front runners and win by opening lengths. The FSN crew are falling over themselves with praise for this Flatter colt. And he kind of deserves it.
Good name, too. ;)
His dam is a half to Obligatory too. He is quite the handsome colt (should be if he cost $1.3 mil!)
Squeaky

Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:45 pm

Agree with Richie that he is the most impressive 2 year old I’ve seen so far this year. Hopefully he can stay sound and train/race on as his sire only raced 6 times and dam only 3 times.
Summer Bird

Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:43 pm

Jack’s Magic Girl (Good Magic-Stargirl) broke her maiden impressively in the first at Del Mar and also became a TDN Rising Star. Had the honor of foaling her out so I hope she continues to be successful :D
HB1994

Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:44 pm

Summer Bird wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:43 pm Jack’s Magic Girl (Good Magic-Stargirl) broke her maiden impressively in the first at Del Mar and also became a TDN Rising Star. Had the honor of foaling her out so I hope she continues to be successful :D
That’s so awesome. I’ll definitely have to follow her now.
Tessablue

Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:38 pm

96 Beyer for Ferocious, good lord. That was a monstrous debut.
Slewfan2

Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:02 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:38 pm 96 Beyer for Ferocious, good lord. That was a monstrous debut.
Whoa….

I love the name, too …Ferocious indeed
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Aug 03, 2024 11:58 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 10:38 pm 96 Beyer for Ferocious, good lord. That was a monstrous debut.
Ferocious (Flatter - Napier, by Midnight Lute)

"Jack Napier" is one of the "real names" attributed to the Joker.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Slewfan2

Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:54 pm

Queens MG was insanely impressive winning the Adirondack
Squeaky

Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:15 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:54 pm Queens MG was insanely impressive winning the Adirondack
https://x.com/thenyra/status/1820219298356339024?s=46
CoronadosQuest

Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:58 pm

Showcase [Uncle Mo x Buy Sell Hold by Violence] wins the Saratoga Special. First Resort was 2nd and Smoken Wicked was 3rd

There is an inquiry though. I thought it was about Keep It Easy's really bad stumble at the start but it looks to be about the winner instead.

No change
Squeaky

Sat Aug 10, 2024 4:07 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:58 pm Showcase [Uncle Mo x Buy Sell Hold by Violence] wins the Saratoga Special. First Resort was 2nd and Smoken Wicked was 3rd

There is an inquiry though. I thought it was about Keep It Easy's really bad stumble at the start but it looks to be about the winner instead.

No change
Very impressive win -don’t see many gray Uncle Mo’s