2024 First Crop Sires

Slewfan2

Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:48 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:41 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:44 am
Flanders wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:17 am

16, three of those have raced twice. he has had two 2nds and 1 third. Also just to note, there were only 3 horses in the race where the one finished 3rd(it was an off the turf race and 5 others scratched).
Ooh, ouch…..he doesn’t even have the excuse that he was a late developer because, while he was a very good older horse, he was also a very good 2 year old. And…he’s had 16 runners, which is a lot.

That said, maybe he’s had so many runners because owners are trying to get a good son right away, thinking that they could eventually land a stud deal as one of the last of his side’s offspring?
I hadn't considered that perspective, but it makes sense.

Then again, there's really no telling with first crop sires and it's still pretty early on. I'm hoping he gets some good ones! I really liked his colt out of Kitty Union at the Keeneland September sale.
It is early, but I know especially with the Honor Code experience that breeders have zero patience. Of course it’s totally different with Improbable …but, maybe his offspring will be better later on. For his sake, I hope so - I’m sure he’ll sire a few nice ones.
CoronadosQuest

Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:59 pm

Thousand Words got another stakes winner in The Queens M G when she won the Schuylerville Stakes today at Saratoga
Diver52

Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:08 am

CoronadosQuest wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:59 pm Thousand Words got another stakes winner in The Queens M G when she won the Schuylerville Stakes today at Saratoga
i gather that was a rough race but Thousand Words with 2 SW? A surprise. At $5000 he's certainly going to get more interest. By POTN.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
stelladaniella

Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:52 am

How are the first crop sires doing number wise now? How many starters - winners? Would be cool to see!
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Flanders

Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:33 am

stelladaniella wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:52 am How are the first crop sires doing number wise now? How many starters - winners? Would be cool to see!
North America

Europe

Here you go. There are just way to many to type out. I like to look at the Europe one as well, their stallions have so many more starters than North America does.

I'd like to show appreciation to Sands of Mali, who is currently sitting 2nd in Europe. He is keeping a stallion line going that I didn't know was still out there. Miswaki. Only one cross to Mr. Prospector and Northern Dancer(5th generation through Lyphard). That has to be a record.
Slewfan2

Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:52 am

Flanders wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 5:33 am
stelladaniella wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:52 am How are the first crop sires doing number wise now? How many starters - winners? Would be cool to see!
North America

Europe

Here you go. There are just way to many to type out. I like to look at the Europe one as well, their stallions have so many more starters than North America does.

I'd like to show appreciation to Sands of Mali, who is currently sitting 2nd in Europe. He is keeping a stallion line going that I didn't know was still out there. Miswaki. Only one cross to Mr. Prospector and Northern Dancer(5th generation through Lyphard). That has to be a record.
What’s frustrating to me is that HAP has 3 winners (and a 4th in a CD stakes), and he’s like 16th (9/10 runners) while he's ranked well behind others who have the same amount of winners or fewer, and far more runners

It shouldn’t matter, because baby races haven’t started to heat up yet, but when analyzing sires, people only care about where they stand on the sires list

But overall, I think this group of sites looks extremely promising ….and FWIW, I’m thrilled at HAP’s start,
Flanders

Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:22 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 7:52 am
North America

Europe

What’s frustrating to me is that HAP has 3 winners (and a 4th in a CD stakes), and he’s like 16th (9/10 runners) while he's ranked well behind others who have the same amount of winners or fewer, and far more runners

It shouldn’t matter, because baby races haven’t started to heat up yet, but when analyzing sires, people only care about where they stand on the sires list

But overall, I think this group of sites looks extremely promising ….and FWIW, I’m thrilled at HAP’s start,
Nah what they care about is SWs and more importantly GSWs. Its only July though, the first Graded Stakes for 2yos is today. There haven't been that many 2yo stakes yet either, only about 15. So they aren't being judged on that yet but that time will come very fast. Its good that stallions can show they can get early 2yo winners but they will need those SWs/GSWs to get breeders to send them mares.

Generally they wont get judged on GSWs until next year after their first 3yos have run. But if they can get one/some this year that will help them to get a better book of mares next year. Being able to get SWs will also help.
Slewfan2

Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:31 am

Flanders wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:22 am

North America

Europe

Nah what they care about is SWs and more importantly GSWs. Its only July though, the first Graded Stakes for 2yos is today. There haven't been that many 2yo stakes yet either, only about 15. So they aren't being judged on that yet but that time will come very fast. Its good that stallions can show they can get early 2yo winners but they will need those SWs/GSWs to get breeders to send them mares.

Generally they wont get judged on GSWs until next year after their first 3yos have run. But if they can get one/some this year that will help them to get a better book of mares next year. Being able to get SWs will also help.
I don’t disagree, but I guess I should have been more clear…when people look at the list, they’ll just see who’s ahead of whom and assume they’re doing better. Usually people will look at the list and not SW so much until the end of the year,

Sires who are expected to sire later developing horses shouldn’t be expected to have early SW - but they do need to have promising offspring who look progressive. If I recall, AP Indy had 11 SW in his first crop, but none as 2 year olds
Flanders

Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:43 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:31 am

I don’t disagree, but I guess I should have been more clear…when people look at the list, they’ll just see who’s ahead of whom and assume they’re doing better. Usually people will look at the list and not SW so much until the end of the year,

Sires who are expected to sire later developing horses shouldn’t be expected to have early SW - but they do need to have promising offspring who look progressive. If I recall, AP Indy had 11 SW in his first crop, but none as 2 year olds
Everyone who looks at the list should know its July. A stallion getting winners isn't going to get him a big book of mares next year, it requires SWs. Now like I said they don't really judge until their first 3yos run. If they do well then they'll get mares the following year. Indy had four 2yo SWs in his first crop, including a GSW.
Slewfan2

Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:19 am

Flanders wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:43 am
Slewfan2 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:31 am

Everyone who looks at the list should know its July. A stallion getting winners isn't going to get him a big book of mares next year, it requires SWs. Now like I said they don't really judge until their first 3yos run. If they do well then they'll get mares the following year. Indy had four 2yo SWs in his first crop, including a GSW.
I agree with all that. It should be fun seeing how this group does …

Oh brother, I can’t believe I made such a dumb ass mistake about Indy 😬😬😬😬
HB1994

Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:33 am

North America

Europe

Sands of Mali’s pedigree is amazing in this day and age. There will be some duplication of Miswaki via Urban Sea, but it will be back a couple of generations. And Lyphard (sadly) is one of the more rarely seen ND lines now. Racing Post did a Good Morning Bloodstock email about Sands of Mali, but it doesn’t look like it’s been posted yet on their site.
Slewfan2

Sat Jul 13, 2024 2:22 pm

First crop sires run 1-2 in Colonial Downs’ 2nd race as Bella Cleopatra (Vekoma) wins easily with Baytown Boujee (Honor A.P.) closing strongly for second

BB is the one-eyed filly written about in TDN
Last edited by Slewfan2 on Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squeaky

Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:03 pm

Complexity gets another winner with Tough Catch at SAR for Dallas Stewart. Innovator, a 900k Authentic yearling for BC Stables and Lukas improved off debut to run a good second..
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jul 13, 2024 6:22 pm

Complexity gets his first stakes winner as Mo Plex wins the Sanford Stakes at Saratoga
KatieK101

Sat Jul 13, 2024 8:12 pm

Vekoma gets his 11th winner in the very dominate Bella Cleopatra.

Seems like there’s a pretty fun rivalry between Vekoma and Complexity!
brunanas

Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:48 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:02 am I'm really surprised Improbable hasn't gotten a winner yet.
finally got his first winner. Maybe Eye'll Call won at second asking at Indianapolis. he has had 19 starters so far.

https://x.com/JohnGDooley/status/181293 ... G26VA&s=19
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Flanders

Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:59 pm

brunanas wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:48 pm
Flanders wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:02 am I'm really surprised Improbable hasn't gotten a winner yet.
finally got his first winner. Maybe Eye'll Call won at second asking at Indianapolis. he has had 19 starters so far.

now McKinzie needs one if he hasn't gotten one in the past couple days
brunanas

Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:19 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:59 pm
brunanas wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:48 pm

now McKinzie needs one if he hasn't gotten one in the past couple days
he hasn't. he had 2 runners today who finished 4th and 6th.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Jul 19, 2024 2:27 pm

Governor Sam (Improbable x I'm Betty G [Into Mischief]) won the 1st at Saratoga, a 5 1/2-furlong MSW on the grass.
Flanders

Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:31 pm

McKinzie got his first winner, Grand McKinzie, in Puerto Rico on the 13th.

Mensa won the Victoria S. at Woodbine today becoming the 2nd SW for Complexity.

Promises Fulfilled had the 3rd place finisher, Coastland, in an Ohio-bred 2yo Stakes today.

Tom's d'Etat had the 2nd place finisher, Goosebumps, in an Ohio-bred 2yo filly Stakes today.

War of Will got his 3rd winner yesterday, Curahee.