My Racehorse Entries/Results

TapitsGal

Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:26 pm

ForTheThrill wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:19 pm I'm pretty thrilled with the choice of Gainesway.
I'm beyond happy with gainesway. I was praying not spendthrift,coolmore or winstar
CoronadosQuest

Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:50 pm

ForTheThrill wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:19 pm I'm pretty thrilled with the choice of Gainesway.
Me too! I was really hoping it wouldn't be Spendthrift or WinStar.
Squeaky

Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:33 am

Is there a link to where this was reported? Thanks
CoronadosQuest

Wed Jul 10, 2024 12:33 pm

Squeaky wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:33 am Is there a link to where this was reported? Thanks
I don't know if a press release has been done yet. They told share holders yesterday so that we knew before the press did. I don't think the info was supposed to be leaked yet 😅
CoronadosQuest

Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:13 pm

Interesting article. That almost looks like he reached out to a shareholder and they sent him the letter. If I was MRH, Id stop sharing info before the press got it since shareholders can't keep things private it seems.
Squeaky

Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:35 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 4:13 pm
Interesting article. That almost looks like he reached out to a shareholder and they sent him the letter. If I was MRH, Id stop sharing info before the press got it since shareholders can't keep things private it seems.
Paulick likes to have news before others do
CoronadosQuest

Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:15 pm

Squeaky wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 5:35 pm
Paulick likes to have news before others do
And there are people who loveeee to be the spiller of beans and feel important by breaking news first.
TapitsGal

Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:47 pm

I noticed the exact same info in the bloodhorse article.
Honor Code

Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:33 am

Results:
Cumberland Falls finished 2nd

Entries:
Sweet as Sin entered in MSW at Indiana Downs on 7/16

MRH Australia are offering a partial breeding syndicate share in Hitotsu (Maurice x Love is Fickle) at Arrowfield stud. It also includes shares in some broodmares.

-----
And now for Seize the Grey. For better or for worse, MRH knows their micro share owners can't keep their mouths shut. That's why it's been crickets since Belmont till now. So, although I do think it is in poor taste that so many of the other Seize the Grey owners are leaking the info everywhere, I'm also not surprised. MRH knows what they're doing. The Facebook owners group has mixed feelings. Many are happy that Seize the Grey is going to Gainesway and that we get to retain a share. Others think it is too cheap. I personally think it's a great deal.

Seize the Grey is a good horse-but I do not think he is anywhere near the best of his crop. I think he is going to be a more consistent G2/G3 type horse and simply got lucky in the Preakness. His primary appeal is being a son of the late Arrogate with a good female family. Without his pedigree, I do not think he would have gotten such a good stallion deal.

That brings me to realistic expectations. Somehow, people are acting like Seize the Grey being a stallion is going to make tons of money. I can't even start to understand that delusion. For anyone who needs a more realistic breakdown, here it is:

Let's say Seize the Grey manages a $25k stud fee. That in and of itself is a stretch without any of the kickers coming through. Audible (Won 1 G1/G2, placed 1 G1) is going for $15k. Arabian Lion (Won 2 G1, placed in another G1) is going for 30k. Global Campaign (Won 1 G1/G3, placed G1) is going for 12.5k. Greatest Honor (Won G2/G3, placed in G1) is going for 7.5k. Lastly, Arcangelo (Won 2 G1, 1 G3) who also has a strong pedigree is going for $35k.

Let's say he manages 150 mares. This is realistic given Gainesway isn't quite as aggressive as Spendthrift and Winstar with their stallions. That brings a gross of $3.75million. MRH retains 10%, so that means our gross is $375k. But wait! There's more!

MRH charges a 20% management fee. That doesn't include all of the other fees to be paid to Gainesway associated with maintaining Seize the Grey. So effectively, that $375k becomes ~$275k. Then, once you divvy that up by 2500 shareholders...

At the end of the season, a shareholder in Seize the Grey will get approximately $100/share. And this is assuming the fee doesn't drop and that Seize the Grey doesn't get sold after a couple years in Kentucky.
ForTheThrill

Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:31 pm

Not breaking the privacy thing here, but I think it's really neat to see how the inner workings of stallion deals actually go. The knowledge gained from having Seize the Grey has been invaluable for a racing and breeding nut like me who wanted to go to school for this, but life took a different turn.
CoronadosQuest

Fri Jul 12, 2024 6:08 pm

Oh yea, we will get peanuts for stud fee return but it will be nice to see how STG is performing at stud, learn about his foals when they hit the track, etc. Even if we haven't gotten much in return from Authentic (which we own what 12% of his breeding rights?) I enjoy hearing about how his babies are doing on the track and the updates MRH give on his offspring. It is a pleasant surprise that we get to even stay involved with STG after he retires.
TapitsGal

Fri Jul 12, 2024 7:54 pm

I'm a nerd for behind the scenes info. All the seize the Grey info has fascinated me. I never dreamed a horse I bought a share in would ever be good enough to stand at a Kentucky farm. Especially one I admire like gainesway. I'm thrilled.

I think some people just REALLY wanted him at spendthrift so they could say they have authentic and seize the grey standing together and felt spendthrift would be more accommodating to the mrh masses. So they are bitter gainesway got him.

Omaha Beach filly out of clair de lune went up for sale today. Going to Richard mandella
TapitsGal

Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:44 pm

The bolt d'oro x final reward two year old filly has been named Reputation. Mrh accidentally forgot to involve the partner in the naming process so they let the partner choose between the final two choices and the partner chose Reputation. This name is themed around Taylor swift
ForTheThrill

Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:44 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:44 pm The bolt d'oro x final reward two year old filly has been named Reputation. Mrh accidentally forgot to involve the partner in the naming process so they let the partner choose between the final two choices and the partner chose Reputation. This name is themed around Taylor swift
As a Reputation girlie, I might have to go grab a share now. 😂
brunanas

Tue Jul 16, 2024 10:01 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:44 pm The bolt d'oro x final reward two year old filly has been named Reputation. Mrh accidentally forgot to involve the partner in the naming process so they let the partner choose between the final two choices and the partner chose Reputation. This name is themed around Taylor swift
is this another sign Taylor is announcing Reputation TV this week?
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Squeaky

Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:16 pm

Starting to worry that there will be alot of speed in the Jim Dandy ( Batten Down , maybe Pony Express, others?) which might make it hard for Grey to get the easy lead he likes, and sets it up for a closer like Sierra Leone. I was concerned that Greg’s last work was fast early and a bit slower late, kind of the opposite of what you want for these longer races.
Honor Code

Fri Jul 19, 2024 1:04 am

Results:
Sweet as Sin finished 2nd

Entries:
Saratoga Warrior entered in MSW at Saratoga on 7/19

Bolt d'oro x Final Reward has been named Reputation.

Horses now available:
Omaha Beach x Clair de Lune (Family of Devil His Due)
Practical Joke x Proud Indian(Family of Summerly, Charge Back, etc.)
CoronadosQuest

Fri Jul 19, 2024 5:30 pm

Squeaky wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:16 pm Starting to worry that there will be alot of speed in the Jim Dandy ( Batten Down , maybe Pony Express, others?) which might make it hard for Grey to get the easy lead he likes, and sets it up for a closer like Sierra Leone. I was concerned that Greg’s last work was fast early and a bit slower late, kind of the opposite of what you want for these longer races.
I think the Jim Dandy is going to be a pretty tough race for a prep for the Travers. I am also concerned that he got leg weary in his last workout :?
Honor Code

Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:51 pm

Results:
Saratoga Warrior finished 9th

Entries:
Adaay in Asia entered in claiming at Del Mar and finished 7th on 7/25. (Claimed)
A Day to Remember entered in MSW at Del Mar on 7/26
Hero Status entered in allowance optional claiming at Del Mar on 7/28
Rosie's Alibi entered in Princess of Sylmar Stakes(Listed) at Presque Island Downs on 7/29
Seize the Grey entered in Jim Dandy Stakes(G2) at Saratoga on 7/27
Straight No Chaser entered in Bing Crosby Stakes(G1) at Del Mar on 7/27
Visceral entered in MSW at Del Mar and finished 5th on 7/25

Improbable x Lahaina Luck named Improbable Luck
Intellectual to be gelded
Lady Blitz retired

Seize the Grey's up against stiff competition this Saturday. Many owners are optimistic on a win-I will be happy if he places/shows.