Stallion News

Missbeholder

Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:25 pm

stelladaniella wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:00 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:34 pm Who is the chestnut in that video?
Ishino Sunday, I believe
Yeah, when I first opened the link and saw that it was Japanese, I assumed the horse was California Chrome. He has the same 4 white socks and seemingly identical white blaze. Then I looked at the comments on the video, and the only one in English said this guy is 31 freakin' years old! Well, I thought, so much for being California Chrome!!

My goodness, not only is this horse an amazing physical specimen, but his energy level is through the roof! This is one very happy and obviously much-loved Senior Citizen!!
Akitaperson

Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:49 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:25 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:34 pm Who is the chestnut in that video?
Ishino Sunday, I believe
Yeah, when I first opened the link and saw that it was Japanese, I assumed the horse was California Chrome. He has the same 4 white socks and seemingly identical white blaze. Then I looked at the comments on the video, and the only one in English said this guy is 31 freakin' years old! Well, I thought, so much for being California Chrome!!

My goodness, not only is this horse an amazing physical specimen, but his energy level is through the roof! This is one very happy and obviously much-loved Senior Citizen!!

Ishino Sunday is a son of Sunday Silence, his dam was also a US bred mare named Jefforee. This farm also uses him to help teach new handlers.
tachyon

Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:13 am

Akitaperson wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:49 pm
Missbeholder wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:25 pm

Ishino Sunday, I believe

Ishino Sunday is a son of Sunday Silence, his dam was also a US bred mare named Jefforee. This farm also uses him to help teach new handlers.
Ishino Sunday was called one of the ‘’Big Four'' of the Sunday Silence's second crop along with Royal Touch, Bubble Gum Fellow and Dance in the Dark.
My personal favorite of the four was Dance in the Dark.
But I'm very happy to see the 1996 Satsuki Sho winner Ishino Sunday still doing well at JBBA Shizunai, while all the others already passed away.

Of side note, Ishino Sunday's dam's sire is the great Alydar(USA) who was the sire of Easy Goer,(USA), the predestined rival of Sunday Silence.
Flanders

Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:38 pm

tachyon wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:13 amOf side note, Ishino Sunday's dam's sire is the great Alydar(USA) who was the sire of Easy Goer,(USA), the predestined rival of Sunday Silence.
She is a half sister to G1 May Day Eighty(who was named for Gene Markey's day of death), for anyone who read A Wild Ride, she was mentioned in the book. Both were bred by the old Calumet, though May Day Eighty was pre Lundy and Jefforee was during the Lundy era.
Flanders

Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:37 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:06 pm He has been dealing with hoof issues for awhile, I don't know that I've seen him without some kind of shoes on the front. It could very well be a factor why he doesn't shuttle. But I think the main reason is he is worth too much. Whether the insurance company refused to offer shuttle coverage or the premium would so expensive it wasn't worth sending him. Shuttling adds a lot of risk factors that the insurance company may not want to take on when a horse becomes too valuable. There becomes a point where sending an established stallion that is standing for 200k to Australia to cover for 50k USD is silly. They'll just squeeze in 50 more mares to cover the loss, maybe offer him for Southern Hemisphere coverings if someone wants to breed a mare and ship her back. We've seen they aren't afraid to send close to 300 to others. Or they could just raise his stud fee again, which I imagine they do anyway.
https://x.com/_CourtneySnow_/status/1807446544423014680
Courtney Snow
@_CourtneySnow_
Triple Crown winner Justify has completed his 6th (how?!?) breeding season and has been absolutely killing it as a sire.

The son of Scat Daddy will be staying home and a select book of Australian mares have instead been sent to KY for him to cover on Southern Hemisphere time.
Akitaperson

Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:46 am

Will Into Mischief or Tapit ever be pensioned?

Into Mischief is nearing 20 and Tapit is in his 20s. I know both are still covering currently. Given his popularity and the farm he's at I personally don't think into Mischief will be a pensioner unless something happens. Such as his fertility going way down for example. Tapit I can see him maybe getting pensioned but at least he's not covering stupidly high books like other KY stallions. 2023 he still covered 100 but thats still less then Gun Runner, Into Mischief or Curlin for example.
Flanders

Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:59 am

Akitaperson wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:46 am Will Into Mischief or Tapit ever be pensioned?

Into Mischief is nearing 20 and Tapit is in his 20s. I know both are still covering currently. Given his popularity and the farm he's at I personally don't think into Mischief will be a pensioner unless something happens. Such as his fertility going way down for example. Tapit I can see him maybe getting pensioned but at least he's not covering stupidly high books like other KY stallions. 2023 he still covered 100 but thats still less then Gun Runner, Into Mischief or Curlin for example.
Stallions don't get pensioned unless there is a reason to pension them. Earlier this year in this thread(it wasn't that long ago) we talked about it. We couldn't name a single popular stallion that was fertile and able to cover mares that was pensioned. They get pensioned for fertility or physical issues that prevent them from covering, otherwise they cover until they die.
Retrospectiv

Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:25 pm

Yup, look at Mineshaft and Medaglia D'oro
Both 25 and still breeding, though I think M DO is still covering larger books than Mineshaft has
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
mahubah

Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:51 pm

Most leading Thoroughbred stallions are pensioned in their early to middle 20s, usually due to declining fertility or being too arthritic in the neck, back, hips, or hocks to mount mares. (I think Kingmambo, for one, was pensioned due to arthritis rather than infertility.) Some are still happily breeding well into their geriatric years, though. Both Mr. Prospector and Grey Dawn II were still breeding at age 29, granted to smaller books than the popular sires cover nowadays.
Missbeholder

Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:45 am

mahubah wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:51 pm Most leading Thoroughbred stallions are pensioned in their early to middle 20s, usually due to declining fertility or being too arthritic in the neck, back, hips, or hocks to mount mares. (I think Kingmambo, for one, was pensioned due to arthritis rather than infertility.) Some are still happily breeding well into their geriatric years, though. Both Mr. Prospector and Grey Dawn II were still breeding at age 29, granted to smaller books than the popular sires cover nowadays.
I remember reading that Nashua was actually booked to cover mares in 1982 when he was a 30yo, but his health went quite suddenly south early in the year, as can happen at that age. He was pensioned and then died in February 1982.
CoronadosQuest

Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:32 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:46 am Will Into Mischief or Tapit ever be pensioned?

Curlin is also 20
HB1994

Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:40 am

Akitaperson wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:29 am Cody's Wish at Darley

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C9CrtpQN ... VodGlxN2dq
He’s not far from racing fit, is he?
Akitaperson

Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:31 pm

More Cody's Wish, I hope he does well as a sire.

https://x.com/_CourtneySnow_/status/181 ... qSUlw&s=19
Northport

Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:49 pm

Casa Creed has been retired. Would love if a big farm gave him a shot, but I’d expect he will be getting on a plane in the next couple months.
weeeeeeeee
Akitaperson

Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:31 pm

Northport wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:49 pm Casa Creed has been retired. Would love if a big farm gave him a shot, but I’d expect he will be getting on a plane in the next couple months.

Same personally think the breed needs more horses like him who run more then 6 or so times. But yeah I to see him leaving the country hopefully we are both wrong
TapitsGal

Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:58 pm

Seize the Grey will go to gainesway..I'm thrilled
TapitsGal

Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:05 pm

Cogburn to winstar
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:51 am

TapitsGal wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:05 pm Cogburn to winstar
I am quite surprised by this. Not that I think he isn't worthy of a Kentucky farm but his grandpa Stravinsky aside, his mom's side of the family is very "WTF???" Unorthodox choice for Win$tar. Seems more like a stallion that Airdrie or Gainesway would pick up. Or really any other Kentucky farm except maybe $pendthrift.

Anyway, I hope he is successful at Win$tar or at least if he isn't gets to go somewhere else in North America.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ing-rights
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Retrospectiv

Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:02 pm

Mylute wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:51 am
TapitsGal wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:05 pm Cogburn to winstar
I am quite surprised by this. Not that I think he isn't worthy of a Kentucky farm but his grandpa Stravinsky aside, his mom's side of the family is very "WTF???" Unorthodox choice for Win$tar. Seems more like a stallion that Airdrie or Gainesway would pick up. Or really any other Kentucky farm except maybe $pendthrift.

Anyway, I hope he is successful at Win$tar or at least if he isn't gets to go somewhere else in North America.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ing-rights
He's an incredibly fast and talented son of a wonderful young and up and coming sire who has already sired dirt and turf champions and has runners this year setting records on the turf in America and Europe and another wonderul son who is a throwback to dirt routers. I can understand them wanting to pick up a son of Not This Time.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."