Stallion News

Akitaperson

Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:36 pm

Eohippus wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:58 pm
Akitaperson wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:03 pm Justify and American Pharoah at Ashford. Justify still looks like he's having issues with those front hooves (or at least the one)

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8moRWhA ... k5b25pMQ==
Not a hoof expert, but does it seem Justify doesn’t want to put too much weight on his front feet? I am always looking at horse hooves trying to learn. Also would you say American Pharoah is long in the toe?

Looking at normal hooves I'd say he has long toes, but alot of thoroughbreds do. Justify a year or so ago had photos going around of him in special boots on his front hooves. So something is going on (makes me wonder if it may be part of the actual reason why he's stayed home from Australia twice now) and obviously he's getting care.
Northport

Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:48 pm

He's definitely got some hardware on his front right, but if a horse wasn't putting even weight on his front feet, he'd founder pretty quickly, so I don't think it's that serious. It is surprising that he hasn't raced in 6 years and he still has corrective shoes of some kind on. If he had quarter cracks or crushed heels you'd think he wouldve outgrown them years ago now that he is off the track. American Phaorah is barefoot, which is usually standard for a stallion. Stallions usually get plenty of turnout, which only benefits their hooves, but we do know that Coolmore stallions work harder than the average stallion, so I guess he hasn't enough downtime for his hooves to grow out? So yeah maybe that's why his shuttling schedule has been inconsistent in the last few years.
weeeeeeeee
Flanders

Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:06 pm

He has been dealing with hoof issues for awhile, I don't know that I've seen him without some kind of shoes on the front. It could very well be a factor why he doesn't shuttle. But I think the main reason is he is worth too much. Whether the insurance company refused to offer shuttle coverage or the premium would so expensive it wasn't worth sending him. Shuttling adds a lot of risk factors that the insurance company may not want to take on when a horse becomes too valuable. There becomes a point where sending an established stallion that is standing for 200k to Australia to cover for 50k USD is silly. They'll just squeeze in 50 more mares to cover the loss, maybe offer him for Southern Hemisphere coverings if someone wants to breed a mare and ship her back. We've seen they aren't afraid to send close to 300 to others. Or they could just raise his stud fee again, which I imagine they do anyway.
Akitaperson

Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:19 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:06 pm He has been dealing with hoof issues for awhile, I don't know that I've seen him without some kind of shoes on the front. It could very well be a factor why he doesn't shuttle. But I think the main reason is he is worth too much. Whether the insurance company refused to offer shuttle coverage or the premium would so expensive it wasn't worth sending him. Shuttling adds a lot of risk factors that the insurance company may not want to take on when a horse becomes too valuable. There becomes a point where sending an established stallion that is standing for 200k to Australia to cover for 50k USD is silly. They'll just squeeze in 50 more mares to cover the loss, maybe offer him for Southern Hemisphere coverings if someone wants to breed a mare and ship her back. We've seen they aren't afraid to send close to 300 to others. Or they could just raise his stud fee again, which I imagine they do anyway.
He is getting valuable I just wish Pharoahs career took off instead of his, given Pharoah has been a sounder horse
KatieK101

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:25 pm

Daredevil gets his first winner from his return crop in U Devil You. He took a MSW at Churchill Downs by two lengths, and looked good doing it!

He’s got another two year-old, El Dandi, set to run on the 26th, again at CD.
Jacques

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:56 pm

Poor Justify, hope they figure out those hoof issues soon.
Akitaperson

Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:32 am

Jacques wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:56 pm Poor Justify, hope they figure out those hoof issues soon.

Hes had crappy feet and soundness since his racing career. So it's probably something that is always going to be an issue with him unfortunately.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:54 am

Akitaperson wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:19 pm He is getting valuable I just wish Pharoahs career took off instead of his, given Pharoah has been a sounder horse
Justify got far more in-house support from Coolmore because Scat Daddy.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:39 am

Leofric (Candy Ride) will shuttle to Argentina this year.
https://www.turfdiario.com/el-g1-leofri ... turfistas/

Ka Ying Master (Snitzel) has moved to Bombora Downs in Australia. He was a 7x winner in Hong Kong.
https://www.breednet.com.au/news/31139/ ... bora-downs

Sholokov (Sadler's Wells) died in May. Champion in Italy, successful National Hunt sire.
https://www.theirishfield.ie/bloodstock ... %20Olinger.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Eohippus

Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:14 am

Akitaperson wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:32 am
Jacques wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:56 pm Poor Justify, hope they figure out those hoof issues soon.

Hes had crappy feet and soundness since his racing career. So it's probably something that is always going to be an issue with him unfortunately.
Didn’t he need a special shoe for the Preakness?
Eohippus

Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:22 am

Akitaperson wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:19 pm
Flanders wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:06 pm He has been dealing with hoof issues for awhile, I don't know that I've seen him without some kind of shoes on the front. It could very well be a factor why he doesn't shuttle. But I think the main reason is he is worth too much. Whether the insurance company refused to offer shuttle coverage or the premium would so expensive it wasn't worth sending him. Shuttling adds a lot of risk factors that the insurance company may not want to take on when a horse becomes too valuable. There becomes a point where sending an established stallion that is standing for 200k to Australia to cover for 50k USD is silly. They'll just squeeze in 50 more mares to cover the loss, maybe offer him for Southern Hemisphere coverings if someone wants to breed a mare and ship her back. We've seen they aren't afraid to send close to 300 to others. Or they could just raise his stud fee again, which I imagine they do anyway.
He is getting valuable I just wish Pharoahs career took off instead of his, given Pharoah has been a sounder horse
Same, the breed could use some soundness.

Always thinking of the majority of foals that don’t end up champions I wonder if sweet, pet like temperaments are helpful in regards to OTTBs finding a forever home. I long suspected OTTBs with American Pharoah’s puppy dog personality have an easier time finding a second home.
Akitaperson

Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:30 pm

Eohippus wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:14 am

I don't remember I do remember him being three legged lame after the Derby and then being retired unsound (sorry ankle swelling if it prevents his career going forward is unsound in my book) after the belmont.
Akitaperson

Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:33 pm

Eohippus wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:22 am

Always thinking of the majority of foals that don’t end up champions I wonder if sweet, pet like temperaments are helpful in regards to OTTBs finding a forever home. I long suspected OTTBs with American Pharoah’s puppy dog personality have an easier time finding a second home.

Depends on the person, some sports folks might prefer a horse whose a tad spicier. For me if I was looking for an ottb I'd be looking at the build (I want thick legs that match the body), career (mostly for soundness issues) and temperament. I much prefer a horse like Pharoah, stocky with a calm demeanor.

Not all horses should go to the shed mare or stallion. My best example lately is Corniche raced 4 times only due to soundness issues.
Flanders

Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:35 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:33 pm

Depends on the person, some sports folks might prefer a horse whose a tad spicier. For me if I was looking for an ottb I'd be looking at the build (I want thick legs that match the body), career (mostly for soundness issues) and temperament. I much prefer a horse like Pharoah, stocky with a calm demeanor.

Not all horses should go to the shed mare or stallion. My best example lately is Corniche raced 4 times only due to soundness issues.
No the best example is Loggins.
Squeaky

Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:54 pm

Akitaperson wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:30 pm
Eohippus wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 10:14 am

I don't remember I do remember him being three legged lame after the Derby and then being retired unsound (sorry ankle swelling if it prevents his career going forward is unsound in my book) after the belmont.
I recall him wearing a three-quarter shoe while training for either the Preakness or BEL due to a hind significant heel bruise ( diagnosed by regulatory vets-not “scratches” that Bob said) sustained in the Derby.
Akitaperson

Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:14 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:35 pm
Akitaperson wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:33 pm

No the best example is Loggins.

Oof I never heard of Loggins but looking him up yeah yuck he should've lost those jewels. But it's no winder soundness in rhe breed is going to crap when you have horses like Loggins and Corniche going to stud and covering 100+ mares per year.
Flanders

Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:38 pm

The only thing that is different now than in the past is book sizes. There has always been unraced or light raced stallions that have gone to stud. I could go back to the beginning of the breed and say, the Darley Arabian line, the one that almost all thoroughbreds are male line descendants of come from Barlet's Childers(by Darley Arabian) who didn't race because he bled so much. Or in the 1940s, Alibhai, was unraced after being injured in training, and went to stud in California. He started out so well he was syndicated for a world record price and sent to Kentucky. He is in a lot of horse's pedigrees now. Anything with His Majesty, Graustark, Dynaformer, Into Mischief, Dixieland Band, etc. all have his line. His son sired Kelso who was super sturdy. Just cause a horse is unsound or had an issue doesn't mean they'll pass it on. I just wish they'd maybe go a little lighter on the books until they see what a horse produces but by then they are usually shipped out anyway if they don't produce.
Akitaperson

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:28 am

I still can't believe how fantastic this boy looks and acts. It's a testament to the care he's receiving

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C8rTQj9v ... IxN3h0dQ==
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:34 pm

Who is the chestnut in that video?
stelladaniella

Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:00 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:34 pm Who is the chestnut in that video?
Ishino Sunday, I believe
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"