Across the pond

Northport

Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:29 am

I like Dancing Gemini, Sayedaty Sadaty, and Los Angeles.

I mean, if City of Troy wins and proves to be the superstar we hoped he would be, that would be fun. But he just doesnt look like he trained on. He almost looks mousey compared to the other runners. Not very filled out.

Well. If Los Angeles doesnt load they will go without him. The English are not patient in this respect.
weeeeeeeee
Northport

Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:36 am

City of Troy wins very impressively!
weeeeeeeee
HB1994

Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:40 am

I thought he had no chance when he was trapped mid-pack. That move was quite impressive. I guess the hype was real.
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:44 am

Glad to see City of Troy back to his winning ways! Do you think he think he lost though?
Northport

Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:45 am

For a horse that just ran the race of his life and could barely be pulled up, he is a gentleman in the winner's circle. Standing still for photos and lots of kisses.

O'Brien says he is the best Derby winner he has trained. The deep exhale he gave after the post race interview was probably the biggest he has ever had. I'm sure he has never felt more relief.
weeeeeeeee
20hayes20

Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:09 pm

Think he has forgotton Gallieo

For me City Of Troy has won a substandard Derby half the field were none stayers

Hayes
20hayes20

Sat Jun 01, 2024 12:54 pm

Bookmakers have City Of Troy 5/1 fav to win the Arc and 8/1 fav to win the Breeders Cup Classic

Hayes
Squeaky

Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:07 pm

When did the loose horse lose his rider? He really ran straight to the wire. Wonder if he would have been a factor had he kept the rider.
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:46 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:07 pm When did the loose horse lose his rider? He really ran straight to the wire. Wonder if he would have been a factor had he kept the rider.
A jump or two out of the gate.
Tessablue

Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:03 pm

The hype around this horse (and around Auguste Rodin las year) is just so... weird. After the Guineas I watched a video of O'Brien measuring him in front of some journalists to prove... I don't know, something? It just seemed really bizarre and kind of demeaning. Today's win was good, but he switched leads late, his main rival had a wait a little because of the loose horse, and I was just reading beforehand about how this year's field was considered pretty weak. Why are these O'Brien 3yos suddenly being touted everywhere every year as The Best Ever?
Thumbsucker

Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:42 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:03 pm The hype around this horse (and around Auguste Rodin las year) is just so... weird. After the Guineas I watched a video of O'Brien measuring him in front of some journalists to prove... I don't know, something? It just seemed really bizarre and kind of demeaning. Today's win was good, but he switched leads late, his main rival had a wait a little because of the loose horse, and I was just reading beforehand about how this year's field was considered pretty weak. Why are these O'Brien 3yos suddenly being touted everywhere every year as The Best Ever?
Money!
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:53 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:03 pm The hype around this horse (and around Auguste Rodin las year) is just so... weird. After the Guineas I watched a video of O'Brien measuring him in front of some journalists to prove... I don't know, something? It just seemed really bizarre and kind of demeaning. Today's win was good, but he switched leads late, his main rival had a wait a little because of the loose horse, and I was just reading beforehand about how this year's field was considered pretty weak. Why are these O'Brien 3yos suddenly being touted everywhere every year as The Best Ever?
Probably helps that City of Troy's dam won the Epsom Oaks. He has a pretty stellar pedigree, which is why I love him anyway :lol:
HB1994

Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:00 pm

CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:53 pm
Probably helps that City of Troy's dam won the Epsom Oaks. He has a pretty stellar pedigree, which is why I love him anyway :lol:
His dam, Together Forever, was seventh in the Oaks in 2015. Her younger full sister, Forever Together, won the Oaks in 2018.i always get the names mixed up (I had to check the names 3x before I made this post).
Northport

Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:07 pm

A couple of commentators said during the pre race proceeds in the paddock before the Guineas that City of Troy looked small and less filled out compared to the other horses. Somehow that got Aidan in a bit of a tizzy and he kept repeating that the horse was like 16.2 or something and that you had to stand next to him to really appreciate how big he was. But the commentators were like "okay but we are 20 feet from him and he still looks small" and that rhetoric only built when City of Troy bombed out in the race. Aidan kept insisting after the race that the horse was big, so it kind of became a running joke. In the post race interview today, Rishi Persad asked Aidan cheekily how big the horse was and Aidan confessed he was a shade under 16.1.

RE: Ballydoyle 3 year olds - that isn't really a "suddenly" thing. It's been happening for a decade or so now. They need soundbites and quotes for future ads, and having the best trainer in the world say that X horse is the fastest two year old, three year old, Derby winner, etc. is just marketing. Like, he said this about Air Force Blue in 2015:
“I would say no doubt he’s the best two-year-old I’ve had – just the size and the scope and the way he travelled and delivered it.
“In February he was a totally unfurnished baby, but was still head and shoulders above everything else and when they’re doing that at that time of year, you could see he was going to be exceptional.
“It’s a joy when these horses come along. Every year you’re looking for good horses and he is a special one.”
weeeeeeeee
CoronadosQuest

Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:18 pm

HB1994 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:00 pm
His dam, Together Forever, was seventh in the Oaks in 2015. Her younger full sister, Forever Together, won the Oaks in 2018.i always get the names mixed up (I had to check the names 3x before I made this post).
Oh :lol: I wish they would stop naming horses similar names. At least Together Forever is still a G1 winner!
tachyon

Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:36 pm

Northport wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 11:36 am City of Troy wins very impressively!
I'm very happy for his sire!
Justify will be recognized a real-super sire worldwide. 8-)
Diver52

Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:34 am

Yeah, it was a very bright performance and at 1 1/2 miles, let's not denigrate it. 8-1 for the Breeders' Cup? Can I lay that bet? On second thought, not unreasonable. Sad to say.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Flanders

Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:24 am

CoronadosQuest wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:18 pm
HB1994 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:00 pm

Oh :lol: I wish they would stop naming horses similar names. At least Together Forever is still a G1 winner!
Then add to the mix the George Strawbridge owned Forever Together who was Champion Turf Mare/MG1SW in the US, less than 10 years before the other 2 and its massively confusing.
Flanders

Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:27 am

According to the BH article : https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... psom-derby

Co-owner Michael Tabor of Coolmore told FanDuel TV's Jess Stafford after the race that City of Troy could likely venture to the United States and try the dirt sometime in the near future.

"It's obviously on our mind," said Tabor. "We're going to sit down and think about it. It's always been a passion of ours to try to win the (Breeders' Cup) Classic. We were second with Giant's Causeway (in the race in 2000) and being by Justify you think surely we'll give it a try eventually. Although having said that we have Sierra Leone (in the U.S.) who will obviously be a horse for the Classic."

------

Guess they scrapped the plans for Auguste Rodin to run in the Classic this year?
20hayes20

Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:15 am

Look D Vega wins the French Derby by 3 lengths from First Look and Sosie 3rd

Remains unbeaten

Hayes