Stallion News

Flanders

Mon May 13, 2024 5:53 pm

Dolphus got his first winner when 3yo daughter, Nurse Caralyn, won a Maiden Claiming race at Parx. He doesn't have many foals so doesn't surprise me it took this long to get a winner, Equineline shows him only having 9 total 2 and 3yos.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... or-dolphus
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 am

Me: "He's so handsome! Yes he is! Who has the pinkest most special-est nose ever?! Who's a special boy?!?! You are you are you are!!!'

War of Will:
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue May 14, 2024 11:47 am

American G3W Officiating (Blame - Come A Callin) will stand in...Australia! First son of Blame down under.
https://www.breednet.com.au/news/30205/ ... w-addition

He is 1/2 to Caledonia Road and a descendant of Begum.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Gemini

Sun May 19, 2024 2:18 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:15 am
Eohippus wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:04 pm What does “training on” mean?
This was the knock against so many War Front's and (presumably) why Coolmore stopped their major support of him. So many good 2yr olds that failed to improve and run on as 3yr olds. Many failing to even win again after 2
Coolmore has retired plenty of 2 year olds before without any apparent hesitation. Why would that be a drawback specifically for War Front?
Retrospectiv

Sun May 19, 2024 4:45 pm

Gemini wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:18 pm
Eohippus wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:04 pm What does “training on” mean?
This was the knock against so many War Front's and (presumably) why Coolmore stopped their major support of him. So many good 2yr olds that failed to improve and run on as 3yr olds. Many failing to even win again after 2
Coolmore has retired plenty of 2 year olds before without any apparent hesitation. Why would that be a drawback specifically for War Front?
It's one thing to choose to retire a successful 2yr old, another to have those race on at 3 and never win again.
Yes, no doubt the purchases of American Pharoah and Justify in short succession did impact where their mares went. But, they had bought into War Front, spent big money on his yearlings and sent a lot of their best mares to him. With an investment in him already made, why do you think they basically gave up on him?
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Mylute

Thu May 23, 2024 10:43 am

During the Claiborne tour, we got to interact Annapolis, First Samurai, Runhappy, and Silver State (aside from War Front). Silver State is huge.

Blame was not interested in the tour group when prompted because he had a clear view of a mare arriving to the shed from his window. He was very loudly letting her know he was there lol.

The guide said that Annapolis has been bred to 110 mares so far, with 20 being purchased for him by his owner Ramona Bass. I was surprised to hear he got that many but pleased.

Demarchelier and Catholic Boy were sleeping. Come to think of it, I don't think I noticed Lea. He may have actually been out or in the shed (surprisingly).

War of Will stayed at the stall door and was receptive to smelling me through the window. One time he "nodded" and then went back to sniffing me. I was more interested in hanging out with him than with Silver State. We didn't get to see him outside of the bars though.

War Front is simply unbothered by anything.
Squeaky

Thu May 23, 2024 2:58 pm

Thanks for the recap of your tour-were you able to pet the horses or just view them? Were the guides friendly and happy to answer questions?
ForTheThrill

Thu May 23, 2024 7:47 pm

Claiborne was amazing when I was there 13ish years ago. I got to pet Pulpit, Arch, and Eddington, and since he was in a a good mood that day, Seeking the Gold. Arch nibbled on a tourist who backed up too close to his paddock fence.

I also got a private tour of WinStar, specifically for Tiznow. When I walked in they were playing his highlight video (hearing TIZNOW WINS IT FOR AMERICA as you walk in to see him standing there was *chefs kiss*) and I got to fangirl love on him and feed him peppermints and chat about him for about 15-20 minutes. Then I got to see the other boys that were there including Distorted Humor, Bluegrass Cat, Colonel John, Speightstown, Super Saver, etc al. That was a really great experience, too.
Squeaky

Fri May 24, 2024 10:23 am

ForTheThrill wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:47 pm Claiborne was amazing when I was there 13ish years ago. I got to pet Pulpit, Arch, and Eddington, and since he was in a a good mood that day, Seeking the Gold. Arch nibbled on a tourist who backed up too close to his paddock fence.

I also got a private tour of WinStar, specifically for Tiznow. When I walked in they were playing his highlight video (hearing TIZNOW WINS IT FOR AMERICA as you walk in to see him standing there was *chefs kiss*) and I got to fangirl love on him and feed him peppermints and chat about him for about 15-20 minutes. Then I got to see the other boys that were there including Distorted Humor, Bluegrass Cat, Colonel John, Speightstown, Super Saver, etc al. That was a really great experience, too.
Wow that sounds so special. When I visited Coolmore a few years ago you could stand next to Pharoah but not pet him ( I did ask). It kind of irked me that a few days later I saw photos on their social media of a well-known eventing rider petting him. Seems like they pick and choose who they allow. The younger Irish tour guides were polite but not overly friendly or forthcoming to questions asked . Overall it was great to see the horses but I did not feel particularly welcomed.
stelladaniella

Sat May 25, 2024 3:27 am

Mylute wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:05 am Me: "He's so handsome! Yes he is! Who has the pinkest most special-est nose ever?! Who's a special boy?!?! You are you are you are!!!'

War of Will:
WoW is a handsome boy with the most boopable snoot known to man.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
Gemini

Sun May 26, 2024 4:43 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:45 pm
Gemini wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:18 pm

It's one thing to choose to retire a successful 2yr old, another to have those race on at 3 and never win again.
Yes, no doubt the purchases of American Pharoah and Justify in short succession did impact where their mares went. But, they had bought into War Front, spent big money on his yearlings and sent a lot of their best mares to him. With an investment in him already made, why do you think they basically gave up on him?
I hadn’t been aware that so many War Fronts failed to progress after age two, hence my question. Thanks for andwering.
Thumbsucker

Sun May 26, 2024 9:18 pm

I think the biggest problem for the War Fronts and a lot of these young horses are the people training them or lack there of. Too many trainers are not actually developing these horses, because they don't have the ability, and they know they can just say it didn't train on.
Mylute

Thu May 30, 2024 8:36 am

brunanas

Thu May 30, 2024 11:32 am

Saturday Sires: Into Mischief
“He's bred a full book of mares this year,” said Toffey. “His libido and fertility is still right there with the very best stallions here at the farm. It is very, very rare that he is ever more than a one-jump horse when a mare comes into the shed. He's really very remarkable. If every stallion handled himself the way Into Mischief does, the job would be easy.”
Toffey said Into Mischief bred right around 200 mares this season and handles the number with ease.

last year they kept talking about how they'd limit his books now that he was older. he bred 174 last year (his first "less than 200" year in almost a decade). now they're back to 200+? we're still a month away from the end of the breeding season so the number will go up. makes me think there was something wrong with him last year for them to have him breed "only" 174 and the whole limiting the book was an excuse. and the thing is, if questioned, they'll just be like "oh he's doing well he can handle it so we let his number go up again". as in if he hasn't died yet, it's alright. they'll never pension him. he'll either have a heart attack or be euthanized after the end of a breeding season because of infirmities of old age that weren't there a week ago when he was breeding 3 mares a day. it's beyond me overbreeding has gotten so normalized people just say their 19 year old stallion is breeding over 200 mares a year (which could very well result in 350+ covers) like it's completely fine.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
stelladaniella

Thu May 30, 2024 5:28 pm

brunanas wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:32 am Saturday Sires: Into Mischief
“He's bred a full book of mares this year,” said Toffey. “His libido and fertility is still right there with the very best stallions here at the farm. It is very, very rare that he is ever more than a one-jump horse when a mare comes into the shed. He's really very remarkable. If every stallion handled himself the way Into Mischief does, the job would be easy.”
Toffey said Into Mischief bred right around 200 mares this season and handles the number with ease.

last year they kept talking about how they'd limit his books now that he was older. he bred 174 last year (his first "less than 200" year in almost a decade). now they're back to 200+? we're still a month away from the end of the breeding season so the number will go up. makes me think there was something wrong with him last year for them to have him breed "only" 174 and the whole limiting the book was an excuse. and the thing is, if questioned, they'll just be like "oh he's doing well he can handle it so we let his number go up again". as in if he hasn't died yet, it's alright. they'll never pension him. he'll either have a heart attack or be euthanized after the end of a breeding season because of infirmities of old age that weren't there a week ago when he was breeding 3 mares a day. it's beyond me overbreeding has gotten so normalized people just say their 19 year old stallion is breeding over 200 mares a year (which could very well result in 350+ covers) like it's completely fine.
I really can't stand the I/M craze.. sure he throws some good runners, but his body is not desirable
He's already 19? Jeez. Makes me wonder, when do stallions "on average" get pensioned? MDO is still going at 25, Tiznow was pensioned at 23, Congrats at 21, Distorted Humor at 28. It's obviously different for different horses, but you'd think there would be some kind of unwritten rule?
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
brunanas

Thu May 30, 2024 5:50 pm

stelladaniella wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 5:28 pm
brunanas wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:32 am Saturday Sires: Into Mischief

I really can't stand the I/M craze.. sure he throws some good runners, but his body is not desirable
He's already 19? Jeez. Makes me wonder, when do stallions "on average" get pensioned? MDO is still going at 25, Tiznow was pensioned at 23, Congrats at 21, Distorted Humor at 28. It's obviously different for different horses, but you'd think there would be some kind of unwritten rule?
i think it kinda varies from farm to farm and fertility? some farms pension early when their fertility is already really bad, some keep going, some pension when they're just very old. i think Spendthrift never pensions. i don't remember them ever pensioning at least, not in recent decades.
she/her
Flanders

Thu May 30, 2024 6:13 pm

The current iteration of Spendthrift is just now getting to the pensioning phase. Hughes bought the farm in June 2004. 2008 is the first year i have a stallion directory of those years. They stood: Action This Day, Don't Get Mad, Malibu Moon, and Teton Forest. There were quite a few more and different stallions that stood there for the 2004 breeding season before he bought the farm, I think they all moved when the farm was sold.

They only get pensioned if they are having fertility or physical issues. Has there ever been a popular, fertile, physically able to breed stallion pensioned?
brunanas

Thu May 30, 2024 6:22 pm

Drosselmeyer enjoying one of the first sunny days in forever after the massive floods that we had over here.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7mLh-tO ... Y1bGpsaTEz
she/her
stelladaniella

Fri May 31, 2024 8:41 am

Flanders wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:13 pm The current iteration of Spendthrift is just now getting to the pensioning phase. Hughes bought the farm in June 2004. 2008 is the first year i have a stallion directory of those years. They stood: Action This Day, Don't Get Mad, Malibu Moon, and Teton Forest. There were quite a few more and different stallions that stood there for the 2004 breeding season before he bought the farm, I think they all moved when the farm was sold.

They only get pensioned if they are having fertility or physical issues. Has there ever been a popular, fertile, physically able to breed stallion pensioned?
Very curious about that last question. If anyone has an answer, I would love to see; I can only think about A.P. Indy, but I think he was pensioned because of declining fertility?
Mylute

Fri May 31, 2024 9:02 am

Flanders wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:13 pm They only get pensioned if they are having fertility or physical issues. Has there ever been a popular, fertile, physically able to breed stallion pensioned?
I would be shocked if there's an answer for this because there wouldn't be any reason to do so.

If a stallion was "on up there" (meaning late 20s) but otherwise in good physical condition, I personally wouldn't see anything wrong with still offering him a few mares (just severely limited). It is at least a way to keep them active. But I wouldn't want my 28 year old jumping like 50 mares that season, even if he was really wanting to and they were spaced out.

Mr. Prospector and Tagula were still going at 29 and 28 and the former died after his last season that 29th year, but they are anomalies and not at all what I would base my stallion management on. I think Tagula is still alive and just pensioned.

I think Tagula has less than 10 in his last crop (he was pensioned in 2021 so he should have some 2022 babies, no?) and Mr. Prospector had around 30 live foals in his last.