Jockey & Trainer News 2023

BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 19, 2024 4:16 pm

Great list of Lukas' winners, Stark, but......HOW could you forget the great Winning Colors, winner of the 1988 Kentucky Derby?
Was probably the most exciting Derby I had the pleasure of watching. 8-)
Flanders

Sun May 19, 2024 4:19 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 4:16 pm Great list of Lukas' winners, Stark, but......HOW could you forget the great Winning Colors, winner of the 1988 Kentucky Derby?
Was probably the most exciting Derby I had the pleasure of watching. 8-)
How did you miss her on his list? hahaha She was definitely there when I read through it.
Missbeholder

Sun May 19, 2024 5:23 pm

HB1994 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:25 pm In other breaking news, the sun rises in the east.

HIWU: Trainer David Jacobson Has Pending TCO2 Positive

https://paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/ ... 2-positive
Just curious. Does this guy EVER train horses that belong to somebody else besides him?

I'm a weekend warrior, and don't follow tracks all over the country, but I don't remember ever seeing David Jacobson enter a horse that he didn't own. Owner/trainers aren't unheard of (see Mick Ruiz), and an owner who trains his or her own horses isn't necessarily a negative, though I don't recall any owner who has trained his or her own horse to an important career.

I'm just wondering if the fact that he has so few owners that employ him says something about how he is perceived. Or maybe that he doesn't have the record of Pletcher, Brown, or Cox, so how he is perceived has little to do with it.

Or it may be that he just wants to train his own horses and isn't very interested in working for someone else. That actually would be OK if he didn't have the shady medication history that he already has. Just wondering.
Tessablue

Sun May 19, 2024 5:38 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:23 pm Just curious. Does this guy EVER train horses that belong to somebody else besides him?

I'm a weekend warrior, and don't follow tracks all over the country, but I don't remember ever seeing David Jacobson enter a horse that he didn't own. Owner/trainers aren't unheard of (see Mick Ruiz), and an owner who trains his or her own horses isn't necessarily a negative, though I don't recall any owner who has trained his or her own horse to an important career.

I'm just wondering if the fact that he has so few owners that employ him says something about how he is perceived. Or maybe that he doesn't have the record of Pletcher, Brown, or Cox, so how he is perceived has little to do with it.

Or it may be that he just wants to train his own horses and isn't very interested in working for someone else. That actually would be OK if he didn't have the shady medication history that he already has. Just wondering.
He has in the past, but the full saga of David Jacobson would probably require a novel. Here's a decent overview: https://www.drf.com/news/david-jacobson ... g-comeback

Suffice it to say that there are plenty of reasons why owners might look elsewhere.
Curtis

Sun May 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:38 pm
Missbeholder wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:23 pm Just curious. Does this guy EVER train horses that belong to somebody else besides him?

He has in the past, but the full saga of David Jacobson would probably require a novel. Here's a decent overview: https://www.drf.com/news/david-jacobson ... g-comeback

Suffice it to say that there are plenty of reasons why owners might look elsewhere.
Look up Pops. Literally anything David had done is kid stuff.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun May 19, 2024 6:15 pm

How did you miss her on his list? hahaha She was definitely there when I read through it.

You're right...I missed her name because I didn't realize Stark had broken the list into two parts - the TC races, and then all those other stakes. I was concentrating on the 1988 dates on the bottom portion. Oops.
stark

Fri May 24, 2024 10:19 am

Trainer Christophe Clement was suspended for seven days, beginning Thursday, after a filly in his care tested positive for acepromazine, a sedative.

The Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit also imposed a fine of $1,000 and two penalty points. The action was reported earlier by Paulick Report

Clement told Paulick Report that Mizoula was not given the sedative intentionally and that the finding must have resulted from a barn mistake or contamination at the track. But he said it would be “too complicated and expensive” to fight the penalties.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
stark

Fri May 24, 2024 10:41 am

stark wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:19 am Trainer Christophe Clement was suspended for seven days, beginning Thursday, after a filly in his care tested positive for acepromazine, a sedative.

The Horseracing Integrity and Welfare Unit also imposed a fine of $1,000 and two penalty points. The action was reported earlier by Paulick Report

Clement told Paulick Report that Mizoula was not given the sedative intentionally and that the finding must have resulted from a barn mistake or contamination at the track. But he said it would be “too complicated and expensive” to fight the penalties.
I'm not a fan of either trainer's approach to this, Baffert over does it and Clement rolls over and plays dead when HISA makes an announcement. Surely there has to be a timely, affordable method for a trainer to have his day in court?
Curtis

Fri May 24, 2024 12:13 pm

stark wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:41 am
stark wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 10:19 am Trainer Christophe Clement was suspended for seven days, beginning Thursday, after a filly in his care tested positive for acepromazine, a sedative.

I'm not a fan of either trainer's approach to this, Baffert over does it and Clement rolls over and plays dead when HISA makes an announcement. Surely there has to be a timely, affordable method for a trainer to have his day in court?
The only times any horses I’ve had got Ace in their system, either a vet or I injected them. I can see it being given by mistake to the wrong horse. Contamination? Maybe someone poured a vial into a grain tub? Whatever, if this stuff starts happening to Mandella, Mott, Shug, etc. I think tweaks will be made in the penalty phase. Baffert, Miller, Diodoro, etc. have cried wolf too many times.
stark

Fri May 24, 2024 12:19 pm

Curtis wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:13 pm

The only times any horses I’ve had got Ace in their system, either a vet or I injected them. I can see it being given by mistake to the wrong horse. Contamination? Maybe someone poured a vial into a grain tub? Whatever, if this stuff starts happening to Mandella, Mott, Shug, etc. I think tweaks will be made in the penalty phase. Baffert, Miller, Diodoro, etc. have cried wolf too many times.
Someday I'm gonna take pictures on the backstretch of all the mini-vans parked along the shedrows with their trunk lids wide open and a view of the rolling pharmacy inside. It truly is an unbelievable sight and leads to anything can happen I suppose.
Curtis

Fri May 24, 2024 1:48 pm

stark wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:19 pm
Curtis wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 12:13 pm
Someday I'm gonna take pictures on the backstretch of all the mini-vans parked along the shedrows with their trunk lids wide open and a view of the rolling pharmacy inside. It truly is an unbelievable sight and leads to anything can happen I suppose.
I don’t doubt that at all. One of the items HISA should be addressing—and maybe they are—is increased security. To do it right, won’t be cheap and that’s why any attempt will probably settle into the “half-a$$ed” area. It’s just like aftercare. If Amalgamated Rich Guys can pool resources to spend 8 figures to give Baffert, TAP, Cox, etc. a stable full of 2yo’s, how about a dowry so the one’s that end up running for a nickel at Moutaineer, Grant’s Pass, TUP, EMD, etc. can get a soft landing.
Squeaky

Fri May 24, 2024 6:32 pm

Nick Zito finally gets a winner. Wonder how his new management venture is going. https://x.com/twinspires/status/1794048 ... 56321?s=46
Flanders

Wed May 29, 2024 4:45 pm

HB1994 wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:25 pm In other breaking news, the sun rises in the east.

HIWU: Trainer David Jacobson Has Pending TCO2 Positive

https://paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/ ... 2-positive
30 day suspension

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -violation
Tessablue

Wed May 29, 2024 7:03 pm

...I feel like milkshaking should have a way stronger penalty than that? I mean, it's not like you can even blame it on contamination or pretend it was a therapeutic drug that metabolized slowly. It's just a straight-up attempt to cheat. Not to besmirch the fine names of Jeff Mullins and Doug O'Neill, but shouldn't that be kind of a big deal?
Curtis

Wed May 29, 2024 8:49 pm

Tessablue wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:03 pm ...I feel like milkshaking should have a way stronger penalty than that? I mean, it's not like you can even blame it on contamination or pretend it was a therapeutic drug that metabolized slowly. It's just a straight-up attempt to cheat. Not to besmirch the fine names of Jeff Mullins and Doug O'Neill, but shouldn't that be kind of a big deal?
Now just because In ‘N’ Out and McDonalds’s were in a bidding war to hire Doug and Jeff, doesn’t mean anything sordid was happening. I always thought Bob’s charm must be truly overwhelming or he has compromising photos of Pegram. Mullins training for Pegram would have been a match made in heaven.
Tessablue

Wed May 29, 2024 10:04 pm

Curtis wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:49 pm
Tessablue wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:03 pm ...I feel like milkshaking should have a way stronger penalty than that? I mean, it's not like you can even blame it on contamination or pretend it was a therapeutic drug that metabolized slowly. It's just a straight-up attempt to cheat. Not to besmirch the fine names of Jeff Mullins and Doug O'Neill, but shouldn't that be kind of a big deal?
Now just because In ‘N’ Out and McDonalds’s were in a bidding war to hire Doug and Jeff, doesn’t mean anything sordid was happening. I always thought Bob’s charm must be truly overwhelming or he has compromising photos of Pegram. Mullins training for Pegram would have been a match made in heaven.
'Milkshakeornodinner' just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
Curtis

Wed May 29, 2024 10:16 pm

Tessablue wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:04 pm
Curtis wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:49 pm
'Milkshakeornodinner' just doesn't quite have the same ring to it.
I was thinking more Isitinthere. With Pegram, I’m guessing, vanilla wouldn’t be an option.
Flanders

Wed May 29, 2024 11:11 pm

Another trainer, Monte Gelrod, who I never heard of got 18 months for Cobalt. Guess it makes sense why I never heard of him, only started training in November, only has 26 starts and already using Cobalt.....

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/1 ... 22-may-29/
stark

Thu May 30, 2024 10:37 am

Kent Desormeaux gonna stick his toes in the waters of Gulfstream Park this weekend.

I assume he'll be first call for any Bob Hess horses down there, but not sure who else he's connected with.

Very hard to get mounts at Santa Anita unless you're one of top 3 or 4 jocks, Kent is just in the HOF, nothing more I guess ;)
HB1994

Thu May 30, 2024 11:34 am

stark wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:37 am Kent Desormeaux gonna stick his toes in the waters of Gulfstream Park this weekend.

I assume he'll be first call for any Bob Hess horses down there, but not sure who else he's connected with.

Very hard to get mounts at Santa Anita unless you're one of top 3 or 4 jocks, Kent is just in the HOF, nothing more I guess ;)
I don’t think anyone questions Kent’s talent; it’s whether he’s going to show up and be fit to ride on any given day.