Stallion News

Squeaky

Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:45 pm

I wonder if Forte is retired after he misses BC -another one I wish would just put the Equilox away, let him grow out his hoof and bring back next year.
Izvestia

Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:45 pm

Mylute wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:41 pm Are breeders really clamoring for a turfy Not This Time?
His female family isn’t turfy!
He also broke his maiden on dirt.
Last edited by Izvestia on Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Izvestia

Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:47 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:45 pm I wonder if Forte is retired after he misses BC -another one I wish would just put the Equilox away, let him grow out his hoof and bring back next year.
I agree they should stop on him. Give him a good rest. Bring him back as a mature 4-year-old. He has raced a lot since May ‘22 and I think he still has more upside.
Nenikikamen23

Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:51 pm

Other than horses who already have stud announcements out, who does everyone think will be retired to stud next season? Also interested in where everyone thinks West Will Power, Somelikeithotbrown, Max Player, etc. may land if they get any Kentucky or regional stud deals.
A is for Arrogate, A is for absolute superstar, A is for anointing
Justahorse

Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:56 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:45 pm I wonder if Forte is retired after he misses BC -another one I wish would just put the Equilox away, let him grow out his hoof and bring back next year.
I bet they get him to the pegasus and then he retires. If he skips the classic
Squeaky

Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:07 pm

I really hope Arcangelo races next year
Missbeholder

Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:37 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:07 pm I really hope Arcangelo races next year
Has anybody heard anything, rumors or otherwise, about Arcangelo's breeding rights being sold? Seems to me that he has so much pedigree power, along with wins in two of the most important GI races for 3yos in the country. It's impossible for me to believe that the Blue Rose phone isn't ringing off the hook!

Arrogate hasn't had time to prove he can get sire sons yet (that's still quite a long way off), but he’s more than proven, in 3 crops to race, that he's very capable of passing on his racing genes. Arcangelo is out of a Tapit mare, his 3rd dam is Better Than Honor, he’s inbred 3x4 to Unbridled, inbred 4x4 to Deputy Minister, and he has 3 lines to Mr. Prospector to his 5th generation.

If Arcangelo wins this Breeders Cup Classic, I'm afraid there's little chance we'll see him run at 4. I know very little about his ownership, but I really wonder if they can withstand the onslaught of money that will be coming their way if he does win it!
brunanas

Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:17 pm

tbh i don't remember news from any big three-year-old colt's breeding rights being sold this year other than Mage's.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
starrydreamer

Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:54 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:37 pm
Squeaky wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:07 pm I really hope Arcangelo races next year
Has anybody heard anything, rumors or otherwise, about Arcangelo's breeding rights being sold? Seems to me that he has so much pedigree power, along with wins in two of the most important GI races for 3yos in the country. It's impossible for me to believe that the Blue Rose phone isn't ringing off the hook!

Arrogate hasn't had time to prove he can get sire sons yet (that's still quite a long way off), but he’s more than proven, in 3 crops to race, that he's very capable of passing on his racing genes. Arcangelo is out of a Tapit mare, his 3rd dam is Better Than Honor, he’s inbred 3x4 to Unbridled, inbred 4x4 to Deputy Minister, and he has 3 lines to Mr. Prospector to his 5th generation.

If Arcangelo wins this Breeders Cup Classic, I'm afraid there's little chance we'll see him run at 4. I know very little about his ownership, but I really wonder if they can withstand the onslaught of money that will be coming their way if he does win it!
I haven't heard anything about Arcangelo, and I hope that means they're keen to race him as a 4 yr old. But with his pedigree, probably not. Better Than Honour had 6 fillies, and Teeming (Arcangelo's 2nd dam) is arguably the best producer of them. From Teeming, we get Streaming, Treasuring, Distracting, and Cascading. With Teeming as 2nd dam, we get Counterforce, Cezanne, Tyson, Bourbon Spirit, and Sweet as Pie (in addition to Arcangelo).
brunanas

Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:36 pm

West Will Power Will Stand at Stud in Korea
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/w ... -in-korea/
she/her
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:38 pm

brunanas wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:36 pm West Will Power Will Stand at Stud in Korea
Just like Concert Tour.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Justahorse

Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:58 pm

brunanas wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:36 pm West Will Power Will Stand at Stud in Korea
Wild
brunanas

Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:45 pm

Mylute wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:38 pm
Just like Concert Tour.
i wonder if he didn't receive any interest from regional farms — say CA, NY... — so he didn't have to be exported. sure there is nothing wrong with going to Korea, but you'd think the Wests perhaps would appreciate having their G1w homebred standing in the USA where they can have access to his foals. can Korea really offer much more $ than regional farms?
she/her
Slewfan2

Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:14 pm

brunanas wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:45 pm
Just like Concert Tour.
i wonder if he didn't receive any interest from regional farms — say CA, NY... — so he didn't have to be exported. sure there is nothing wrong with going to Korea, but you'd think the Wests perhaps would appreciate having their G1w homebred standing in the USA where they can have access to his foals. can Korea really offer much more $ than regional farms?
I’m sorry, that ticks me off...but I guess I’m not surprised - Bernardini’s sons are flops as sires.

Speaking of flops, anyone know what’s up with Max Player? I’m guessing he got little interest and is standing at his owners’ farm, like they suggested they might do
Flanders

Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:56 pm

Just like Concert Tour.
Most owners are going to take the highest offer. California already has Stay Thirsty and his son Finneus. NY has Mind Control(son of Stay Thirsty) who is owned and being supported by the 3 of the biggest NY farms. West Will Power had a lot going against him. Didn't start racing until late in his 3yo year, didn't win his G1 until he was 6, if a regional farm would acquire a Bernardini line stallion I think they would need to be more precocious. Maybe they didn't receive any offers at all or they were too low? I mean he was entered in the Keeneland November sale so I would guess at that point they hadn't gotten any real offers. As for the $$$, I'm going to say he sold for very little, maybe even less than 100k.
Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:14 pm Speaking of flops, anyone know what’s up with Max Player? I’m guessing he got little interest and is standing at his owners’ farm, like they suggested they might do
Nothing announced yet.
brunanas

Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:57 pm

very good points as always Flanders. honestly thinking about it makes me wonder if they had any hopes at all of getting a deal in Kentucky or if they just thought it was worth the shot even it was a 0,01% chance of a major farm being interested. and it's very true that Bernardini's sons are... something. at stud. i don't think he has any good sire son other than Stay Thirsty (who i didn't even remember being by Bernardini until i went to check his sons on the registry).
she/her
Justahorse

Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:21 pm

I wish art collector made it to the shed I had high hopes for him
Flanders

Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:41 pm

brunanas wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:57 pm very good points as always Flanders. honestly thinking about it makes me wonder if they had any hopes at all of getting a deal in Kentucky or if they just thought it was worth the shot even it was a 0,01% chance of a major farm being interested. and it's very true that Bernardini's sons are... something. at stud. i don't think he has any good sire son other than Stay Thirsty (who i didn't even remember being by Bernardini until i went to check his sons on the registry).
Nah yesterday I was going to respond to the one post on here asking about West Will Power, Somelikeithotbrown and Max Player and I just knew how I am and that I would be typing forever and I didn't have it in me. hahaha
I didn't think any of them had a chance to stand in Kentucky, at least not at any of the big farms. A lot of it is pedigree, being by stallions that are not sires of sires and can be considered non-commercial, like I said about WWP he was better the older he got(breeders hate that). Somelikeithotbrown is a turf horse(they only make exceptions to that rule sometimes and he isn't going to get it), Max Player was kind of a plodder, he could run okay sometimes but now that his sire was sold on, I just don't see a big farm in Kentucky taking a chance. I should add that, these horses COULD have gotten a spot maybe if their owners were willing to keep a significant ownership % and then supported them heavily at stud but a lot of racing owners just don't want to do that.

As for Bernardini, he is a fantastic broodmare sire and that happens sometimes, like how Secretariat and Buckpasser are viewed as great broodmare sires. He has another regional son who has REALLY good stats. He stands in New Mexico, Marking (108 foals of racing age, 81 starts, 58 winners, 8 SWS(7%). Slammed has been his best runner so far, she won a G2 and ran in the BC F/M Sprint last year but was retired earlier this year. He started out at 3.5k but because of his success, he has now made his way to 6k. The thing about Stay Thirsty is, he is just okay that is why he is in California. He wasn't good enough to stay in Kentucky but he is good for a regional market. And I hope he continues to do okay, as I like him.
Slewfan2

Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:17 am

Flanders wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:56 pm

Just like Concert Tour.
Most owners are going to take the highest offer. California already has Stay Thirsty and his son Finneus. NY has Mind Control(son of Stay Thirsty) who is owned and being supported by the 3 of the biggest NY farms. West Will Power had a lot going against him. Didn't start racing until late in his 3yo year, didn't win his G1 until he was 6, if a regional farm would acquire a Bernardini line stallion I think they would need to be more precocious. Maybe they didn't receive any offers at all or they were too low? I mean he was entered in the Keeneland November sale so I would guess at that point they hadn't gotten any real offers. As for the $$$, I'm going to say he sold for very little, maybe even less than 100k.
Slewfan2 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 7:14 pm Speaking of flops, anyone know what’s up with Max Player? I’m guessing he got little interest and is standing at his owners’ farm, like they suggested they might do
Nothing announced yet.
Great points...but WWP was a really nice horse, and I’m sad that not one farm was interested. Farms would rather stand untalented horses that could run fast for maybe a furlong rather than a good horse ...sigh

Thanks !
Ziggypop

Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:37 am

So this, “ He had an injury after that race, I believe in his left front pastern,” Glass said. “Dr. (Larry) Bramlage said it would take considerable time to heal, if it would heal at all.” So he has an injury to his left front pastern that may not ever heal so they send him to Korea? Wtf!