Stallion News

Tessablue

Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:01 pm

Old Friends does have three champions right now- Work All Week, Amazombie, and Stormy Liberal. But I do love the idea of Channel Maker getting a cozy retirement there.
Missbeholder

Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:15 pm

Flanders wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:14 pm
Northport wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:28 pm I know Old Friends is the fashionable choice as of late, but they have so many horses it’s hard to not imagine it’s getting a little crowded. Would love a big owner to throw KHP a bone.
They only take champions and/or Kentucky Derby winners though, don't they? I mean historically that is all they have had. And it used to just be geldings until Cigar was infertile, then they had Alysheba for a short time, Go For Gin, and Point Given as pensioned stallions.

Channel Maker? He is 9, a champion and a gelding.
Yeah, I've never been totally clear on the acquisition process for the KHP. I do think they have pretty much required that any horse sent to the Hall of Champions is an Eclipse Award winner (at least for thoroughbreds), but what kind of arrangement made with the horse's owners is unclear to me.

From what I've read, horses are "donated" to Old Friends, depending on space, with some kind of obligation that the owners take on to provide support. Also, Old Friends enjoys the benefit of routine veterinary and farrier services that are donated to them. Not sure KHP has that.
Flanders

Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:17 pm

I just remembered they had 2x BC Mile winner Da Hoss as well. So BC winners fit the bill as well. They've had 2 non-Champions in Da Hoss and Go For Gin (that I can think of off hand). Hagyard provides KHC with veterinary services. They are right across the road from the horse park.
djnorth

Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:48 am

I think for awhile KHP had a space problem. Da Hoss was in the Big Barn for a while. Dinard (SA Derby) was in the Breeds Barn (and at OF, I think). Now that's not the case.

Channel Maker would fit. I know that Bob Baffert had helped to get a QH there in the past but now they work with OF.
Calypso

Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:22 am

I'd love to see Ghostzapper go there (OF) upon pension. It would be very fitting since his sire spent his last (and far too few) days there.
Gonna be honest, it's very surprising to me that Tiznow didn't go either there or KHP. As the only 2x BCC winner I feel like he'd draw a crowd and if his credentials don't get him a pass into the Hall of Champions then it needs to be renamed to something else lol.
Soylent green is....tasty!!!
djnorth

Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 am

I agree about Tiznow, and it seems that KHP has the space right now. It seems in some cases pensioned stallions stay at their farms. Same with Afleet Alex.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:36 am

American Pastime (Tapizar) has moved from Swifty Farms in Indiana to White Farms in Ohio.

Dennis' Moment (Tiznow) has moved from Arkansas to Golden Creek Equine in Wyoming.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Missbeholder

Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:39 pm

djnorth wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 am I agree about Tiznow, and it seems that KHP has the space right now. It seems in some cases pensioned stallions stay at their farms. Same with Afleet Alex.
Love the idea of Tiznow going to KHP! I'm kind of surprised that they haven't gone after him (maybe they have). I remember that they actively pursued Kona Gold, bucking a lot of resistance from owner Bruce Headley, who didn't want to part with him. He finally relented, but Kona Gold tragically died just a short time after arriving at the park.

Anyway, I think Tiznow would be a fabulous "get" for them! He was, and still is, a hugely popular horse, and would be a major public draw for them! I just don't think Winstar is going to be letting him go, though.
Miss Woodford

Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:58 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:39 pm
djnorth wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:28 am I agree about Tiznow, and it seems that KHP has the space right now. It seems in some cases pensioned stallions stay at their farms. Same with Afleet Alex.
Love the idea of Tiznow going to KHP! I'm kind of surprised that they haven't gone after him (maybe they have). I remember that they actively pursued Kona Gold, bucking a lot of resistance from owner Bruce Headley, who didn't want to part with him. He finally relented, but Kona Gold tragically died just a short time after arriving at the park.

Anyway, I think Tiznow would be a fabulous "get" for them! He was, and still is, a hugely popular horse, and would be a major public draw for them! I just don't think Winstar is going to be letting him go, though.
An obvious one would be Zenyatta now that her broodmare career is over but I'm not sure even KHP wants to deal with her rabid fans scrutinizing every aspect of her care lol.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:18 pm

One Foal, One Stakes Winner for Danger Bay
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... danger-bay

Danger Bay was bred to one mare before being gelded.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
RugbyGirl

Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:26 am

RugbyGirl wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:46 pm Champion New Zealand stallion Per Incanto (USA) (Street Cry) has suffered a paddock accident and will (at least) not be made available to outside breeders this season.
https://www.anzbloodstocknews.com/paddo ... ng-season/

Studmaster Sam Williams was emphatic last night that the stallion’s best interests would come first and that he would not be rushed back into the serving barn before he was right.

“When we bought him, he cost shareholders NZ$10,000 a share and he’s repaid them God knows how many times.

“We owe the horse.”

The US-bred Per Incanto, Italy’s joint champion sprinter in 2007, won six of his 13 race starts which also saw him race in England and the US before being acquired by Little Avondale to begin stud duties at the historic Masterton-based stud in 2011.
Update on Per Incanto:
https://www.racingnews.co.nz/per-incant ... ile-about/

The Williams family have had a real tough time lately but PI is back home now and studmaster Sam Williams is recovering from cancer.

Story excerpt: "Six weeks ago Per Incanto had to be sent (7 hours away) to Cambridge for intensive veterinary care after a hind leg injury suffered in a paddock accident flared up in spite of the steps already taken. The efforts of Waikato Equine Veterinary Centre personnel led by Greg Quinn and Laurinda Oliver along with valued input from Cambridge Stud turned a potentially disastrous situation around.

“I can’t say enough about the response from so many people in this wonderful industry who have stepped up during such a difficult time,” Williams continued. “The number of good people who have reached out, it’s been so humbling and yet another reminder of how much we care for each other and our horses when the need arises.

“The team at Waikato Vets stepped up in what was a pretty dire situation and turned PI around; we’ll forever be grateful to the work Greg, Laurinda and their team put in. Then for Henry (Plumptre) and the guys at Cambridge Stud to reach out and offer to care for the horse as if he was one of their own while he was being treated – it’s impossible to put into words what that has all meant."
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
flytpthestars

Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:19 pm

Apparently Taiba is retired and at Spendthrift. Zandon and Arabian Lion to follow after BC
Justahorse

Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:37 pm

flytpthestars wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:19 pm Apparently Taiba is retired and at Spendthrift. Zandon and Arabian Lion to follow after BC
Not surprising
sweettalk

Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:43 pm

unless i'm misunderstanding you (sorry, if i am) AA is at OF isnt he? and he was very stressed about the move. he saw Sun King and remembered him (they're guessing) because that calmed him down. was that another horse? also apologies if i'm misremembering the horse in question.
Flanders

Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:47 pm

sweettalk wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:43 pm
unless i'm misunderstanding you (sorry, if i am) AA didn't stay at Gainesway, he's at OF, and he was very stressed about the move. he saw Sun King and remembered him (they're guessing) because that calmed him down.
Afleet Alex is at Gainesway still. You are thinking of Birdstone.
sweettalk

Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:48 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:47 pm
sweettalk wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:43 pm
unless i'm misunderstanding you (sorry, if i am) AA didn't stay at Gainesway, he's at OF, and he was very stressed about the move. he saw Sun King and remembered him (they're guessing) because that calmed him down.
Afleet Alex is at Gainesway still. You are thinking of Birdstone.
ah, i'm a dork. thanks flanders!
brunanas

Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:21 pm

Taiba, Zandon, Arabian Lion to Spendthrift Farm in 2024
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social

i understand Taiba and Zandon, but Arabian Lion? what???
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
BaroqueAgain1

Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:40 pm

Does Spendthrift have a Justify son yet? They may be wanting to grab a good one ASAP. Maybe before A.L. develops 'problems' that keep him from running well as a 4yo?
Flanders

Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:33 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:40 pm Does Spendthrift have a Justify son yet? They may be wanting to grab a good one ASAP. Maybe before A.L. develops 'problems' that keep him from running well as a 4yo?
Yeah they have Arabian Lion for next year. The only other one in the US that anyone would want is Verifying and he is a Coolmore horse.
Flanders

Sat Sep 16, 2023 10:36 pm

brunanas wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:21 pm Taiba, Zandon, Arabian Lion to Spendthrift Farm in 2024
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social

i understand Taiba and Zandon, but Arabian Lion? what???
So Zedan keeps horses in training at 4 to go for the Saudi Cup. Arabian Lion ended up being a sprinter, so I guess he just gets retired. But even if he wasn't owned by Zedan he would have probably still been retired. Commercial pedigree + able to win G1 at 3 = time to cash out

I imagine the floodgates of retirements/standing for 2024 announcements are coming. Plus once Keeneland September is over more stallions will be moved out. I'm not sure of the size of Spendthrift's stallion barn(s) but they moved out Free Drop Billy and now Taiba is there. Do they need to move on 2 more? I know back in the 80s when they were under different ownership, they stood an insane amount of stallions. But so did Gainesway and there stallion roster is alot smaller now. Pulling out the 1986 BH Stallion Directory, Spendthrift had 40 stallions and Gainesway had 41.