Photos/News about Broodmares

Palace Malice

Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:10 pm

firehorse wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:31 pm
flytpthestars wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:26 pm
firehorse wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:22 pm Zenyatta looks like a tank: https://www.instagram.com/p/CtIDJHHsjhd/?hl=en
I wonder if there is any signs of waxing. If so, i would guess 48hrs or less from now
I hope it's soon, I was checking to see if there was a picture of a new foal :shock:
I wonder why did they bred her so late, she was already a late bloomer herself, that won't help if the foal is too. It's gonna start racing at 5, if ever :lol:
SukiSatsuki

Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:14 pm

Palace Malice wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:10 pm
firehorse wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:31 pm
flytpthestars wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:26 pm

I wonder if there is any signs of waxing. If so, i would guess 48hrs or less from now
I hope it's soon, I was checking to see if there was a picture of a new foal :shock:
I wonder why did they bred her so late, she was already a late bloomer herself, that won't help if the foal is too. It's gonna start racing at 5, if ever :lol:
Honestly they shouldn't even post about her babies we all know they'll never run
Why walk when you could ride?
Retrospectiv

Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:15 pm

firehorse wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:22 pm Zenyatta looks like a tank: https://www.instagram.com/p/CtIDJHHsjhd/?hl=en
Geezus she's a beached whale!
July was a very late cover. But I guess if most of your foals don't run, doesn't matter anyway :D
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Squeaky

Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:23 pm

Wow is she big! Hope she has an easy delivery of a healthy baby very soon! Wonder if this is her last foal. Maybe it’s time.
sweettalk

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:00 pm

Squeaky wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:23 pm Wow is she big! Hope she has an easy delivery of a healthy baby very soon! Wonder if this is her last foal. Maybe it’s time.
i'm very distressed abt this foal, honestly. i know they would NEVER intentionally risk her life, but her foals have seen all of 0 success, pensioning her is the right thing to do.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:01 pm

Oh boy, here we go.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
luvsgeldings

Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:50 pm

yeah i am on pins and needles praying to hear zen is safe and healthy - along with her new baby - and yes egads, she is huge.

i actually could not believe she was in foal again when i read about it here at this site some months ago - i could swear a few years ago, someone had mentioned they were worried about her being in foal and carrying so much weight - some worry about her feet - - she always was a really big mare - honestly, we saw her run a lot here in SoCal and got up close to her several times - she is one of the biggest racehorses i have ever seen in person.

i just want to hear everything is ok - i know they have always said that zenyatta is a wonderful mother, but i do hope this will be her last.

she did more than enough on the track, she never had anything else to prove.
Missbeholder

Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:19 pm

Was Zenyatta actually bred in July? That's what Retrospectiv indicated earlier in this thread. I've frankly never heard of a mare being covered (on purpose) in July. I get that it's Zenyatta and all, but would Claiborne actually be on board with that, especially with War Front?

If she was covered in July, then she's not really late with this baby. I was worried about that because I think I remember that she was late delivering her little War Front colt from a few years ago. There was some speculation that that may have contributed to the meconian aspiration that killed him when he was 3 days old.

Anyway, I hope for a healthy delivery for both mom and baby, and I hope it happens soon! She looks like she's about ready to explode!
Squeaky

Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:42 pm

To those who have worked on breeding farms, is there anything that can be given to overdue mares to move things along safely?
Retrospectiv

Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:45 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:19 pm Was Zenyatta actually bred in July? That's what Retrospectiv indicated earlier in this thread. I've frankly never heard of a mare being covered (on purpose) in July. I get that it's Zenyatta and all, but would Claiborne actually be on board with that, especially with War Front?

If she was covered in July, then she's not really late with this baby. I was worried about that because I think I remember that she was late delivering her little War Front colt from a few years ago. There was some speculation that that may have contributed to the meconian aspiration that killed him when he was 3 days old.

Anyway, I hope for a healthy delivery for both mom and baby, and I hope it happens soon! She looks like she's about ready to explode!
If she's due this month, and isn't running weeks late she'd have been covered in July. 11 months gestatation on average. Why breeding sheds open on/about Feb 14th, to start on early January foals.... She could have been covered late June and be carrying late but there's been no indication from the tiny bit of news that she's running late. Coved the last of June last year would give an approx foaling date range of May 27 - June 11....
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
flytpthestars

Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:35 pm

I dont understand why they wouldnt want to try for a January or February foal. Plenty of time to get her covered if she didnt catch. June's breeding is late for a late blooming (on track) mare.

I would think at least 1 or 2 more breedings before she gets pensioned. I doubt theres a 2024 foal with her late foaling this year. Curlin or Into Mischief probably.
Retrospectiv

Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:54 pm

flytpthestars wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:35 pm I dont understand why they wouldnt want to try for a January or February foal. Plenty of time to get her covered if she didnt catch. June's breeding is late for a late blooming (on track) mare.

I would think at least 1 or 2 more breedings before she gets pensioned. I doubt theres a 2024 foal with her late foaling this year. Curlin or Into Mischief probably.
I agree, no chance they'd get her in foal again this year. Way too late, they wouldn't breed her back on her foal heat, and she's seemed to have trouble catching the last number of years. They'd really only have one shot this late in the year, and that's assuming her foaling went textbook.
RugbyGirl

Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:29 pm

Indepth article on Vegas Showgirl (dam of Winx). Why she was brought by her current owner, her trip to Japan to meet Deep Impact, and the current status of all her foals. She will likely be pensioned after her current foal is born in October.
https://www.racing.com/news/2023-06-06/ ... -of-lights
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Starine

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:11 pm

RugbyGirl wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:29 pm Indepth article on Vegas Showgirl (dam of Winx). Why she was brought by her current owner, her trip to Japan to meet Deep Impact, and the current status of all her foals. She will likely be pensioned after her current foal is born in October.
Great read. Thanks for sharing.
Summer Bird

Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:19 pm

Squeaky wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:42 pm To those who have worked on breeding farms, is there anything that can be given to overdue mares to move things along safely?
You can give Oxytocin to induce labor, but I’ve always been told to never interfere with a mare that’s overdue since there’s always a good reason why she’s carrying the foal for so long. Had one this year carry for over a year and the foal was on the smaller side so it was a good thing we didn’t interfere
stelladaniella

Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:48 am

Zenyatta delivers a filly and retires from broodmare duties.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
tachyon

Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:51 am

Starine wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:11 pm
RugbyGirl wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:29 pm Indepth article on Vegas Showgirl (dam of Winx). Why she was brought by her current owner, her trip to Japan to meet Deep Impact, and the current status of all her foals. She will likely be pensioned after her current foal is born in October.
Great read. Thanks for sharing.
That's a very informative article.
Thanks RugbyGirl for sharing!!
I hope that City of Lights(AUS) will continue to do well!!!
Squeaky

Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:35 pm

Zenyatta delivered a healthy War Front filly on June 9, and has been retired as a broodmare. Looks like a nice big foal with Mom’s blaze and big ears. Wish there were more photos of baby standing up and running - hope all continues to go well. https://www.zenyatta.com/news/zenyatta- ... rth-filly/
Last edited by Squeaky on Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holly1972

Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:44 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 3:35 pm Zenyatta delivered a healthy War Front filly on June 9, and has been retired as a broodmare. Does anyone have any photos of the foal? https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -lanes-end
Foals of 2023, Zenyatta’s facebook page
Starine

Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:43 pm

Arcangelo is Modeling's first black-type performer. The mare's first foal, a gelding by Distorted Humor named Montmartre, is her only other winner so far. Modeling has not had a foal since she delivered Arcangelo in 2020 because of niggling health issues.

"She has been a project, but our broodmare manager Raul Garcia is phenomenal and has a sixth sense about the mares," Ringler said. "Right now, we are counting the days (to confirm pregnancy) on Munnings. Also, Modeling has one daughter that we thankfully own, and we are counting the days on Uncle Mo with her."
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -g1-winner