Stallion News

brunanas

Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:31 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:25 pm
brunanas wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:07 pm https://twitter.com/headleybell/status/ ... Svh9A&s=19 does anyone know what "stopping" mares mean?
I don't know if its used a lot anymore. I used to see it more often or maybe its more common in Europe. As it was said, it means he is getting his mares in foal. But why its called "stopping" is because he is getting the mares in foals and stopping their estrous(heat) cycles.
it all makes sense
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
brunanas

Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:07 pm

does anyone know if you can find a stallion's full book in the Chilean studbook? i know you can search mares individually but it'd be so much easier if i just had a list.
she/her
20hayes20

Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:27 am

The iron horse State of Rest will stand down under for a fee of 44.000 Australian dollars he won 4 group 1s in 4 different countries.

He will stand at Newgate Farm Stud

Hayes
SukiSatsuki

Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:47 pm

Destin has a very impressive winner today in the first at parx. Destin's mission won for fun by open lengths
Why walk when you could ride?
TapitsGal

Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:51 pm

Even the Score celebrates his first birthday at old friends today
Squeaky

Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:13 pm

Vet suspended 90 days and fined 30k in death of Laoban. Suspension should be longer to ensure follow up with CE recommendations. These home brewed “concoctions” have to stop.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... oban-death
barbaro111

Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:34 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:13 pm Vet suspended 90 days and fined 30k in death of Laoban. Suspension should be longer to ensure follow up with CE recommendations. These home brewed “concoctions” have to stop.
Glad to know there is punishment for this crime- I agree suspension should be longer- What a horrible and preventable death
Northport

Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:25 pm

At least $30,000 is a proper fine. I don’t understand how WinStar has managed to swerve any blame for this though. The horse was known to have neck pain severe enough to keep him from breeding. Other treatments hadn’t worked, so instead of resting him they decided an energy boosting shot would be worth a try.

Vets need some kind of authorization from some kind of owner or representative before performing any kind of treatment. Especially on a horse as valuable as Laoban. Maybe they didn’t get the all clear from Kenny Troutt but what about Elliott Walden or the stallion manager at the very least?
weeeeeeeee
Squeaky

Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:12 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:25 pm At least $30,000 is a proper fine. I don’t understand how WinStar has managed to swerve any blame for this though. The horse was known to have neck pain severe enough to keep him from breeding. Other treatments hadn’t worked, so instead of resting him they decided an energy boosting shot would be worth a try.

Vets need some kind of authorization from some kind of owner or representative before performing any kind of treatment. Especially on a horse as valuable as Laoban. Maybe they didn’t get the all clear from Kenny Troutt but what about Elliott Walden or the stallion manager at the very least?
Yes this is disappointing that Winstar went along with this and seems to come out unscathed and blameless here. What about going back to R and R? Or what about getting the OK from an authorized vet from the insurance company? Not sure if loss of breeding ability can be a claim, but if it was they should have had a say in it. With all the latest diagnostics and scans available now, seems Rood and Riddle should have been able pinpoint the source of the pain and prescribed a treatment other than one injection ( I realize we do not know the full scope of treatments performed or suggested). A friend has a horse with neck and back pain, and in addition to a steroid injection in the S-I joint, they are doing ( coax with carrot) neck and back stretching exercises, acupuncture and massage/ physiotherapy which has really helped. If poor horse was too painful to breed should have been retired/ pensioned and allowed to live out his life in a pasture in peace. Heard some stallion manager somewhere say about a lame horse, “ If he can walk he can breed”- not so!
Ziggypop

Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:29 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:12 pm
Northport wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:25 pm At least $30,000 is a proper fine. I don’t understand how WinStar has managed to swerve any blame for this though. The horse was known to have neck pain severe enough to keep him from breeding. Other treatments hadn’t worked, so instead of resting him they decided an energy boosting shot would be worth a try.

Yes this is disappointing that Winstar went along with this and seems to come out unscathed and blameless here. What about going back to R and R? Or what about getting the OK from an authorized vet from the insurance company? Not sure if loss of breeding ability can be a claim, but if it was they should have had a say in it. With all the latest diagnostics and scans available now, seems Rood and Riddle should have been able pinpoint the source of the pain and prescribed a treatment other than one injection ( I realize we do not know the full scope of treatments performed or suggested). A friend has a horse with neck and back pain, and in addition to a steroid injection in the S-I joint, they are doing ( coax with carrot) neck and back stretching exercises, acupuncture and massage/ physiotherapy which has really helped. If poor horse was too painful to breed should have been retired/ pensioned and allowed to live out his life in a pasture in peace. Heard some stallion manager somewhere say about a lame horse, “ If he can walk he can breed”- not so!

It is more than disappointing, it is disturbing. Winstar ‘s greed to get that poor horse back into the breeding shed is appalling.
Squeaky

Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:31 pm

Agree 100%. Very upsetting.
Squeaky

Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:19 pm

Apparently Winstar keeping vet on- likely paid her fine too. Really looks bad for Winstar.
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/l ... uspension/
TapitsGal

Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:10 pm

Squeaky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:19 pm Apparently Winstar keeping vet on- likely paid her fine too. Really looks bad for Winstar.
On the one hand its like wtf WinStar. If a vet were found at fault for killing my horse you can guarantee id be finding a new vet. On the other hand its WinStar where $$$$$ matters the most so are we surprised?
Starine

Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:11 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:10 pm
Squeaky wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:19 pm Apparently Winstar keeping vet on- likely paid her fine too. Really looks bad for Winstar.
On the one hand its like wtf WinStar. If a vet were found at fault for killing my horse you can guarantee id be finding a new vet.
For real. :?
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:16 pm

Please help me get this straight. I don't fully remember.

If a stallion with a normally healthy libido suddenly experienced a sharp decrease in libido, that could mean other health issues, which would probably prompt bloodwork, urinalysis, etc. If it was found that the stallion had lower than normal B12, an injection of that and/or supplements would be prescribed.

But that's not what happened here, was it?
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Northport

Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:24 pm

It wasn’t a libido issue, they have released it was soreness in the neck. They knew the issue and decided to try a quick and temporary solution

WinStar keeping Wharton on gives me all the explanation I need. I would imagine they authorized, if not ordered, the shot. I’m sure she was able to make a deal with the farm. She takes 100% of the blame and the reputation hit, WinStar covers the legal fees and keeps her on the payroll.

Im not usually a conspiracy gal but this whole thing is just so gross and dumb
weeeeeeeee
brunanas

Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:05 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:24 pm It wasn’t a libido issue, they have released it was soreness in the neck. They knew the issue and decided to try a quick and temporary solution
they have? i vividly remember reading reports that he mounted multiple mares and "failed to finish". IIRC they were treating that as a libido issue. idk if the article was deleted but Tim Sullivan (who i believe was who broke the news) has a tweet where he says the black shot was meant to increase his energy.

ETA:
not from the OG article, but:
Laoban had already bred with 126 mares in his first year of stud service at WinStar, but he was injected in an effort to stimulate his interest in breeding after failing to complete any of five mating sessions over a two-day period.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/s ... 361509001/

not doubting you by any means, but do you have the link to the statement? i really haven't seen that. weird.
she/her
Northport

Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:31 pm

It’s from today’s article that Squeaky posted. I dont know if WinStar changed their story or the investigation revealed that something was hidden:
An investigatory report was prepared by Dr. Coy St. Clair, a veterinarian. Wharton told her Laoban "had trouble gripping his mares" in the breeding shed. Shockwave and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories were tried, and Rood and Riddle gave him an injection for neck pain, but eventually the problem persisted and finally Laoban refused to breed.
weeeeeeeee
brunanas

Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:07 pm

missed that, thanks.
god forbid they would let him rest the pain off, right???? :roll: disgusting money hungry pricks.
she/her
TwilightTear

Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:57 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:24 pm It wasn’t a libido issue, they have released it was soreness in the neck. They knew the issue and decided to try a quick and temporary solution

WinStar keeping Wharton on gives me all the explanation I need. I would imagine they authorized, if not ordered, the shot. I’m sure she was able to make a deal with the farm. She takes 100% of the blame and the reputation hit, WinStar covers the legal fees and keeps her on the payroll.

Im not usually a conspiracy gal but this whole thing is just so gross and dumb
You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist ... WinStar probably told the vet to use whatever means necessary to get the horse back breeding, and her supposed "suspension" is likely being served as a paid vacation.

More details may come out as Cypress Equine, one of the co-owners, has sued the insurance companies in federal court for their refusing to pay out on the mortality policy. The case is currently in discovery. (Unfortunately, the federal courts make you pay to view documents.)