Breeders’ Cup 2022

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:20 pm

'Twas really not Steve Asmussen's day today. Several of his ran well though. I was happy to see Clairiere run so well. I was concerned because she had that mouth injury, which is one of the reasons I didn't pick her for the pools.

Kind of a "meh" Breeders' Cup for me, personally. None of my personal favorites did that much and it did get old seeing the same people win every turf race (minus Caravel, which I should've had, dangit). Three of my picks did win in the pool, though: Meditate, Modern Games, and Malathaat.

I hope I don't jinx it, but I haven't seen anything referencing Chuck retiring. Gainesway bought into him pre-Derby (I think) so I assume that's where he'll go eventually. I would love it if he stuck around next year! Same with War Like Goddess. Any word on where she goes next?

I rewatched the Sprint and O Besos definitely was flying at the end.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:23 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:25 pm I'm worried about Domestic Spending- not sure if anyone remembers Spanish Fern, but she died a day after fracturing her pelvis in the Mile because of an internal hemorrhage. I know pelvic factures are survivable, but... hard not to worry.
I agree with you and yes I remember Spanish Fern, also Santa Barbara and Snowfall. All we can do is hope he will be a good patient and have good luck in his recovery.
Tessablue

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:26 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:23 pm I agree with you and yes I remember Spanish Fern, also Santa Barbara and Snowfall. All we can do is hope he will be a good patient and have good luck in his recovery.
True that.

Was just scrolling for Epicenter news on Twitter and encountered the takes "Secretariat only ever dominated one race" and "Secretariat never beat a field that good." I think it might be time to log off...
SukiSatsuki

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:28 pm

Epicenter has a repairable fracture thankfully
Why walk when you could ride?
Flanders

Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:54 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:20 pm I hope I don't jinx it, but I haven't seen anything referencing Chuck retiring. Gainesway bought into him pre-Derby (I think) so I assume that's where he'll go eventually. I would love it if he stuck around next year! Same with War Like Goddess. Any word on where she goes next?
I would think Chuck isn't retiring just because when Gainesway released their stallion fees for 2023, he wasn't on there but Olympiad was with a TBD fee. If he had a commercial sire, he would be retiring or already retired.

I never saw anything concrete on War Like Goddess just it was possible she might go to the Japan Cup. She didn't start racing until late in her 3yo year so maybe they will keep her in training. The owner has let most of his better mares race through age 5 and then retired them, but they also had started racing at 2. He kept Mucho Unusual in training at 6 but when she lost twice she was retired and bred earlier this year. So fingers crossed, I'd love to see her race again next year.
SukiSatsuki

Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:27 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:54 pm
Mylute wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:20 pm I hope I don't jinx it, but I haven't seen anything referencing Chuck retiring. Gainesway bought into him pre-Derby (I think) so I assume that's where he'll go eventually. I would love it if he stuck around next year! Same with War Like Goddess. Any word on where she goes next?
I would think Chuck isn't retiring just because when Gainesway released their stallion fees for 2023, he wasn't on there but Olympiad was with a TBD fee. If he had a commercial sire, he would be retiring or already retired.

I never saw anything concrete on War Like Goddess just it was possible she might go to the Japan Cup. She didn't start racing until late in her 3yo year so maybe they will keep her in training. The owner has let most of his better mares race through age 5 and then retired them, but they also had started racing at 2. He kept Mucho Unusual in training at 6 but when she lost twice she was retired and bred earlier this year. So fingers crossed, I'd love to see her race again next year.
Is classic causeway still pointed to a Japanese race? I can’t remember what it was
Izvestia

Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:14 pm

It was nice to see Bill Mott get 2 winners today. A masterful training job!

I was also delighted to see Roger Attfield had 2 Shirl/Speight horses, same sire and 2nd dam no less, that were longshots finish 2nd and 3rd in their turf races. Also masterful training!
brunanas

Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:16 am

the people from the loooovely Horse Racing Wrongs are already basically stating Epicenter is only alive right now because they wouldn't euthanize him "in front of the whole world". empathy 101 as always.
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Slewfan2

Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:46 am

Miss Woodford wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:03 pm
Tessablue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:03 pm "That was the greatest performance since Secretariat's Belmont. If that sounds blasphemous, get over it" -Tim Layden
"Eat shit" [mutes the television] -my mother :lol:
Same tbh

This next half hour is gonna be real annoying
Now I think I know why I blocked him.....I could think of many, starting with Slew’s JCGC

It’s this kind of crap that makes people not root for Flightline..
Happy Endings

Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:52 am

Tessablue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:26 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:23 pm I agree with you and yes I remember Spanish Fern, also Santa Barbara and Snowfall. All we can do is hope he will be a good patient and have good luck in his recovery.
True that.

Was just scrolling for Epicenter news on Twitter and encountered the takes "Secretariat only ever dominated one race" and "Secretariat never beat a field that good." I think it might be time to log off...
LOL! Secretariat's stakes records and win record speak for themselves. Juvenile champ, 3yo champ, horse of the year. Imagine what he would have done as a 4yo.
How many stakes or track records has Flightline set? Honest question. I really don't know.
Happy Endings

Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:09 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:46 am
Tessablue wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:03 pm "That was the greatest performance since Secretariat's Belmont. If that sounds blasphemous, get over it" -Tim Layden
Same tbh

Now I think I know why I blocked him.....I could think of many, starting with Slew’s JCGC

I think his light racing schedule also causes questioning. They need to race him next year if they are concerned about his legacy. Yes, he's the best in training now. But against the greats of the past? Questionable. I wouldn't breed to him. I would want a horse that races more than 3 times a year. They are not transparent about why the light schedule. At least, not that I have heard. Maybe I missed it? How good has his competition been? Yes, Life is Good is very talented, but I don't think he is a 10-furlong horse, so that is not a real gauge. There is no other standout horse that I can think of. If he is really the GOAT wouldn't he have broken a few track records? I am not aware of any, or I missed it if he has.
Kurenai
Site Admin

Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:09 am

Happy Endings wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:09 am
I think his light racing schedule also causes questioning. They need to race him next year if they are concerned about his legacy. Yes, he's the best in training now. But against the greats of the past? Questionable. I wouldn't breed to him. I would want a horse that races more than 3 times a year. They are not transparent about why the light schedule. At least, not that I have heard. Maybe I missed it? How good has his competition been? Yes, Life is Good is very talented, but I don't think he is a 10-furlong horse, so that is not a real gauge. There is no other standout horse that I can think of. If he is really the GOAT wouldn't he have broken a few track records? I am not aware of any, or I missed it if he has.
They did say he takes longer between the races to get his energy backup again. The longer the break the better the performance. I'm paraphrasing, but it was something along those lines that they said. I don't mind a lighter schedule if they plan on keeping him racing. Buuuuuuuuuut the old cynic in me think the "next years racing campaign" will probably the Pegasus and Dubai World Cup and that's it.

To be fair I think in Flightlines case it's not a matter of how good has his competition been, because his times speak for themselves. He would have to run into a horse like Arrogate/American Pharoah/Invasor/Ghostzapper etc to be truly tested. Or even Lava Man ins his prime on his fave track, the way the old man behaved in the post parade he wanted to have a go at him anyway. :lol:
Flanders

Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:49 am

Coady Photography got some great pics of the Distaff finish here:
https://twitter.com/CoadyPhoto/status/1 ... 2520834048

Also really like their photo that was used in the TDN article, its so good it doesn't even look like a real finish:
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/m ... c-distaff/
SukiSatsuki

Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:40 am

So apparently there were three horses who canned off yesterday? I have no idea who’s the third if true
genuinerizk

Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:54 am

SukiSatsuki wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:40 am So apparently there were three horses who canned off yesterday? I have no idea who’s the third if true
Messier was the other one. He bled.
SukiSatsuki

Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:55 am

genuinerizk wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:54 am
SukiSatsuki wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:40 am So apparently there were three horses who canned off yesterday? I have no idea who’s the third if true
Messier was the other one. He bled.
Ohhh ok second horse to bleed during the weekend at least it’s not serious
CoronadosQuest

Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:18 am

Flanders wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:49 am Coady Photography got some great pics of the Distaff finish here:
https://twitter.com/CoadyPhoto/status/1 ... 2520834048

Also really like their photo that was used in the TDN article, its so good it doesn't even look like a real finish:
https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/m ... c-distaff/
It looks like an ad photo, of where it shows off a stallions best progeny or something. Cody took some amazing Distaff pics.
stark

Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:31 am

Happy Endings wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:52 am
How many stakes or track records has Flightline set? Honest question. I really don't know.
As time goes by and PETA has greater control, this question will become less and less relevant.
Back in the olde days it was the track superintendent who could decide how fast horses would run on big days.
Gulfstream might be the most obvious for their 3YO series but there were plenty of other examples.
Tracks were rolled and sealed as tight as could be, some said it was like running on concrete.
Tracks are slower these days and safer, that's a good thing.
The idea of setting a new stakes or track record is way in the back of the minds of horsemen.
It's really not the objective, if it was Flavian Prat wouldn't have stood up for the final 1/8th of a mile in Flightline's Pacific Classic, and he was pretty much wrapped up on nearing the wire once again in yesterday's BC Classic.

What's that olde saying......time only matters in jail.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Katewerk

Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:51 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:46 am
Same tbh

I think it's mostly the primitive human impulse of resentment and envy of success that make people "not root for Flightline". The race call serves as convenient excuse to verbalize what's already there.

Tall poppy syndrome.
Katewerk

Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:56 am

Kurenai wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:09 am

To be fair I think in Flightlines case it's not a matter of how good has his competition been, because his times speak for themselves. He would have to run into a horse like Arrogate/American Pharoah/Invasor/Ghostzapper etc to be truly tested. Or even Lava Man ins his prime on his fave track, the way the old man behaved in the post parade he wanted to have a go at him anyway. :lol:
Serious question -- which greats did Arrogate/American Pharoah/Invasor/Ghostzapper - even Secretariat - defeat to be "truly tested"?