Stallion News

Flanders

Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:30 am

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:27 am A friend of mine asked an interesting question. Where did Rombauer end up?
He hasn't gotten a stud deal that has been published. In my opinion, since its been 10 months since he retired, that he doesn't have a stud deal right now is a bad sign. The owner said at some point they had received offers but they weren't high enough. The only thing "waiting for a better deal" does is hurt the horse because mare owners sign contracts.

What is weird though is that his digital certificate is assigned to Laurel Park. I wonder if they are going to try and bring him back? Why would he be at Laurel?
Psychotic Parakeet

Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:38 am

Flanders wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:30 am
Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:27 am A friend of mine asked an interesting question. Where did Rombauer end up?
He hasn't gotten a stud deal that has been published. In my opinion, since its been 10 months since he retired, that he doesn't have a stud deal right now is a bad sign. The owner said at some point they had received offers but they weren't high enough. The only thing "waiting for a better deal" does is hurt the horse because mare owners sign contracts.
I had to do some searching. It turned out his owner wants him to stay in Kentucky, and was riding on the hopes of having 150 mares in his first book. Sounds like the owner has pretty unreasonable expectations.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Psychotic Parakeet

Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:44 am

What is weird though is that his digital certificate is assigned to Laurel Park. I wonder if they are going to try and bring him back? Why would he be at Laurel?
That is an interesting bread crumb piece. No works recorded, but the fact that things have become radio silent for so long is fascinating.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Flanders

Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:12 am

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:44 am
That is an interesting bread crumb piece. No works recorded, but the fact that things have become radio silent for so long is fascinating.
He was a West Coast horse though right? I just saw that and thought it was odd. I've checked the JC page for him various times this year to see if they had decided to just sell to another country, since like you said there has been nothing said since May. I'm not saying I didn't miss that before but I don't remember seeing it either.
20hayes20

Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:26 am

Another 3 winners for Zarak at the weekend.

Parnac winning at the Big A just getting up close home to win

Sirjan winning a Group 3 at Capanelle in Rome by 4 and1/2 lengths

And Zargrey winning a listed event cosily at Chantilly.

Godolphin introduces an unraced 2 year old this afternoon at Saint Cloud by Zarak called Marquisate trained by Andre Fabre

Hayes
20hayes20

Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:16 am

Marquisate made a winning debut today settled midfield he hit the front 2 out and steadily drew away to win by 3 lengths will be better when stepped up in trip next year looks useful.

Another Zarak.

Hayes
20hayes20

Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:24 am

Gutsy win for Village Queen under Maxine Guyon for my boy Zarak :)

2 From 3 today ;)

Hayes
Northport

Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:41 am

Flanders wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:12 am

He was a West Coast horse though right? I just saw that and thought it was odd. I've checked the JC page for him various times this year to see if they had decided to just sell to another country, since like you said there has been nothing said since May. I'm not saying I didn't miss that before but I don't remember seeing it either.
Last I heard (i think on Nick Luck’s podcast, maybe in the Spring/Summer? Honestly cant remember) he was at WinStar just kind of hanging out, “available for inspection”.

I think the insistence on “a good offer”, “in kentucky”, and “a book of 150+ mares” plus him being singlehandedly managed by a one man team of his owner/breeder has kind of sealed his fate. There are a couple one hit Preakness wonders out there that are already well managed at reputable farms, why would you roll the dice on this one in particular?
weeeeeeeee
SukiSatsuki

Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:19 pm

133 mares were bred to uncle chuck
Why walk when you could ride?
Flanders

Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:24 pm

Northport wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:41 am
Flanders wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:12 am

Last I heard (i think on Nick Luck’s podcast, maybe in the Spring/Summer? Honestly cant remember) he was at WinStar just kind of hanging out, “available for inspection”.

I think the insistence on “a good offer”, “in kentucky”, and “a book of 150+ mares” plus him being singlehandedly managed by a one man team of his owner/breeder has kind of sealed his fate. There are a couple one hit Preakness wonders out there that are already well managed at reputable farms, why would you roll the dice on this one in particular?
Yeah I went back and read the article from May and Radkin said something like I think the Japanese will inspect him when they come over in September if he hadn't gotten a deal by then. I just think if he hasn't gotten a deal by now, he probably isn't getting one in Kentucky. The Laurel Park thing is just weird to me.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:53 am

California-Bred Champion Finneus Retired, To Stand At Lovacres Ranch
https://paulickreport.com/news/bloodsto ... res-ranch/

According to the CTBA, the following have been pensioned:

Slew's Tiznow (by Tiznow) - SW, G1P. Sire of several SW, including G3W Zakaroff.
Quindici Man (by Came Home) - MSW, G1P.
Roi Charmant (by Evansville Slew) - MSP, sire of several SH.
Gold Prospector (by Half Term) - Unraced, sire of few horses.
Fidelito (by Pioneerof the Nile) - Unraced, sire of few horses.
Unionize (by Dixie Union) - MW, sire of one SW.
Brave Victory (by Lion Heart) - GSP, sire one one SW.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Miss Woodford

Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:17 pm

Mylute wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:53 am California-Bred Champion Finneus Retired, To Stand At Lovacres Ranch
https://paulickreport.com/news/bloodsto ... res-ranch/

According to the CTBA, the following have been pensioned:

Slew's Tiznow (by Tiznow) - SW, G1P. Sire of several SW, including G3W Zakaroff.
Quindici Man (by Came Home) - MSW, G1P.
Roi Charmant (by Evansville Slew) - MSP, sire of several SH.
Gold Prospector (by Half Term) - Unraced, sire of few horses.
Fidelito (by Pioneerof the Nile) - Unraced, sire of few horses.
Unionize (by Dixie Union) - MW, sire of one SW.
Brave Victory (by Lion Heart) - GSP, sire one one SW.
Quindici Man was sent to Old Friends this year. Did he have fertility issues or was he just never popular with breeders? I liked him as a racehorse, seems odd that he had only a handful of progeny on the track.
brunanas

Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:41 pm

Miss Woodford wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:17 pm Quindici Man was sent to Old Friends this year. Did he have fertility issues or was he just never popular with breeders? I liked him as a racehorse, seems odd that he had only a handful of progeny on the track.
never too popular, i don't think his fertility was too bad. he also didn't breed in 2021.
2014: 6 mares, 5 foals
2015: 2 mares, 1 foal
2016: 5 mares, 3 foals
2017: 1 mare, no foals
2018: 1 mare, 1 foal
2019: 1 mare, no foals
2020: 6 mares, 3 foals
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
HB1994

Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:22 pm

I saw Point Given today at the KHP and thought he looked pretty good, especially for his age. I’d never seen him in person before, and wow, he’s a big boy.
Diver52

Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:36 pm

HB1994 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:22 pm I saw Point Given today at the KHP and thought he looked pretty good, especially for his age. I’d never seen him in person before, and wow, he’s a big boy.
One of my favorites--I was crushed when he was retired. But maybe his size affected his soundness? There has been speculation that the hard surface at CD on Derby Day may have stung his feet and contributed to his defeat. He must be what, 25 or so?
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
HB1994

Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:14 pm

Diver52 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:36 pm
HB1994 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:22 pm I saw Point Given today at the KHP and thought he looked pretty good, especially for his age. I’d never seen him in person before, and wow, he’s a big boy.
One of my favorites--I was crushed when he was retired. But maybe his size affected his soundness? There has been speculation that the hard surface at CD on Derby Day may have stung his feet and contributed to his defeat. He must be what, 25 or so?
He’s 24.

I think the wall of noise coming around the far turn didn’t help, either.
TapitsGal

Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:35 am

Provocateur is being sold at the keeneland horses in training sale it was announced by my racehorse. He's being sold as a racing or stallion prospect. Basically mrh doesn't think they can bring him back at four and have a competitive stakes horse and they don't feel he's done enough to be snapped up by a Kentucky breeding farm but that he could make a nice regional stallion somewhere
Flanders

Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:22 am

Did anyone else notice the Calumet stallion ads in the Friday Breeders Cup program(they are also in Saturday's program)? The one is just a text ad and only mentions the same 4 stallions that are in the photo ad a few pages later. The photo ad says "Calumet Farm 2023 Stallion Roster" and only has 4 stallions. Isn't that weird? Like they have 15 stallions but only Keen Ice, Oxbow, Ransom The Moon and Hightail are mentioned in their 2023 stallion roster ad. No wonder their stallions don't get mares.
Northport

Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:52 am

Flanders wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:22 am Did anyone else notice the Calumet stallion ads in the Friday Breeders Cup program(they are also in Saturday's program)? The one is just a text ad and only mentions the same 4 stallions that are in the photo ad a few pages later. The photo ad says "Calumet Farm 2023 Stallion Roster" and only has 4 stallions. Isn't that weird? Like they have 15 stallions but only Keen Ice, Oxbow, Ransom The Moon and Hightail are mentioned in their 2023 stallion roster ad. No wonder their stallions don't get mares.
I have a feeling that the Calumet stallion/nominations office has a Dunder Mifflin bit of a feel to it. Like Brad Kelley is obviously not an idiot and didn't become a billionaire by making bad decisions, but in terms of Thoroughbred management it's kind of chaos. They buy, breed, and sell with so little rhyme or reason and I feel like the underlings must go crazy following orders that make no sense. Stallions are acquired, priced with fees that make no sense, cover random/borderline garbage mares that are almost all owned by Calumet, then the progeny are sold at the sales for four figures and usually at a huge loss. They do so in such large quantities that obviously they do get G1 horses and a fkn Derby winner, but it's just really baffling.
weeeeeeeee
Miss Woodford

Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:38 am

Northport wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:52 am
Flanders wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:22 am Did anyone else notice the Calumet stallion ads in the Friday Breeders Cup program(they are also in Saturday's program)? The one is just a text ad and only mentions the same 4 stallions that are in the photo ad a few pages later. The photo ad says "Calumet Farm 2023 Stallion Roster" and only has 4 stallions. Isn't that weird? Like they have 15 stallions but only Keen Ice, Oxbow, Ransom The Moon and Hightail are mentioned in their 2023 stallion roster ad. No wonder their stallions don't get mares.
I have a feeling that the Calumet stallion/nominations office has a Dunder Mifflin bit of a feel to it. Like Brad Kelley is obviously not an idiot and didn't become a billionaire by making bad decisions, but in terms of Thoroughbred management it's kind of chaos. They buy, breed, and sell with so little rhyme or reason and I feel like the underlings must go crazy following orders that make no sense. Stallions are acquired, priced with fees that make no sense, cover random/borderline garbage mares that are almost all owned by Calumet, then the progeny are sold at the sales for four figures and usually at a huge loss. They do so in such large quantities that obviously they do get G1 horses and a fkn Derby winner, but it's just really baffling.
Does a disservice to the name and legacy of Calumet, really.