Stallion News

Nenikikamen23

Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:35 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:41 pm Can we get a round of applause for Gun Runner? Today his Society won the Cotillion and Taiba took the PA Derby at Parx. Sixtythreecaliber succeeded in the Seneca, Gunite gathered the Harrods Creek and Echo Zulu flew in the Dogwood at Churchill.
Kinda impressive. ;)
1st [G1] Taiba - Pennsylvania Derby
1st [G1] Society - Cotillion Stakes
1st [G3] Echo Zulu - Dogwood Stakes
1st [BT] Gunite - Harrods Creek Stakes
1st [BT] Sixtythreecaliber - Seneca Overnight Stakes
3rd [G1] Cyberknife - Pennsylvania Derby
3rd [G2] Runninsonofagun - Gallant Bob Stakes
A is for Arrogate, A is for absolute superstar, A is for anointing
Flanders

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:27 pm

KatieK101 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:50 am I know Gun Runner crushed Uncle Mo’s first crop record last year, but what did Unclo Mo’s crop look like around this time for him? That was the first year I started to seriously follow horse racing (so hiiiii, Nyquist!) but I didn’t keep up w breeding back then.

Basically, how do the two stallion careers still compare?
Uncle Mo- end of 2016: 249 foals of racing age, 157 runners, 90 winners, 18 BTWers, 31 BTHrs, 10 GSWnrs, 2 G1SWnrs, $12,355,709
Cumulative(end of 2016) - 249 foals of racing age, 161 runners, 99 winners, 22 BTWers, 35 BTHrs, 12 GSWnrs, 3 G1SWnrs, $16,300,150

Gun Runner - today - 210 foals of racing age, 114 runners, 44 winners, 10 BTWers, 23 BTHrs, 7 GSWnrs, 4 G1SWnrs, $10,955,950
Cumulative(thru today) - 210 foals of racing age, 123 runners, 62 winners, 13 BTWers, 25 BTHrs, 8 GSWnrs, 6 G1SWnrs, $15,359,575

Like it was said, they got quite different books of mares. I can also only pull info from the end of 2016. Uncle Mo had more foals, every number was higher than Gun Runner's at this point, except one. Gun Runner has had 6 G1SWers in his first crop. That number is insane. There may have been other stallions that ended up with equal or more in their first crops but that was their entire racing careers. For example, Frankel had 6 G1 winners in his first crop, two won their first G1 at age 4, one at age 5, one at age 6. That is the only stallion I've found that has 6 G1 winners in their first crop beside Gun Runner and his first crop is only 3. I've checked big names too, there is probably another stallion out there that I just missed but I can't think of who to even look at. I felt it important to ONLY check stallions that went to stud during the big book era, because its impossible to compare a stallion who had a ton of foals vs. say Danzig who got 3 G1SWrs from 32 foals in his first crop. I checked Galileo, Tapit, Into Mischief, Dubawi(he had 7 born his first year at stud but part were from shuttling so I didn't count that), Deep Impact, Sea The Stars, Sunday Silence, and Curlin. So what Gun Runner has done in that regard is unprecedented and its a super super exciting stallion. And to just throw another random fact out there, Into Mischief has sired 11 G1 winners. I can easily see Gun Runner's fee being equal or higher than Into Mischief's next year.
SukiSatsuki

Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:39 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:27 pm
KatieK101 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:50 am I know Gun Runner crushed Uncle Mo’s first crop record last year, but what did Unclo Mo’s crop look like around this time for him? That was the first year I started to seriously follow horse racing (so hiiiii, Nyquist!) but I didn’t keep up w breeding back then.

Uncle Mo- end of 2016: 249 foals of racing age, 157 runners, 90 winners, 18 BTWers, 31 BTHrs, 10 GSWnrs, 2 G1SWnrs, $12,355,709
Cumulative(end of 2016) - 249 foals of racing age, 161 runners, 99 winners, 22 BTWers, 35 BTHrs, 12 GSWnrs, 3 G1SWnrs, $16,300,150

Gun Runner - today - 210 foals of racing age, 114 runners, 44 winners, 10 BTWers, 23 BTHrs, 7 GSWnrs, 4 G1SWnrs, $10,955,950
Cumulative(thru today) - 210 foals of racing age, 123 runners, 62 winners, 13 BTWers, 25 BTHrs, 8 GSWnrs, 6 G1SWnrs, $15,359,575

Like it was said, they got quite different books of mares. I can also only pull info from the end of 2016. Uncle Mo had more foals, every number was higher than Gun Runner's at this point, except one. Gun Runner has had 6 G1SWers in his first crop. That number is insane. There may have been other stallions that ended up with equal or more in their first crops but that was their entire racing careers. For example, Frankel had 6 G1 winners in his first crop, two won their first G1 at age 4, one at age 5, one at age 6. That is the only stallion I've found that has 6 G1 winners in their first crop beside Gun Runner and his first crop is only 3. I've checked big names too, there is probably another stallion out there that I just missed but I can't think of who to even look at. I felt it important to ONLY check stallions that went to stud during the big book era, because its impossible to compare a stallion who had a ton of foals vs. say Danzig who got 3 G1SWrs from 32 foals in his first crop. I checked Galileo, Tapit, Into Mischief, Dubawi(he had 7 born his first year at stud but part were from shuttling so I didn't count that), Deep Impact, Sea The Stars, Sunday Silence, and Curlin. So what Gun Runner has done in that regard is unprecedented and its a super super exciting stallion. And to just throw another random fact out there, Into Mischief has sired 11 G1 winners. I can easily see Gun Runner's fee being equal or higher than Into Mischief's next year.
How many freshman sires have sired 5 stakes winners in a day?(i know into mischief did but i dont think he was a freshman?)
Why walk when you could ride?
Flanders

Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:14 am

SukiSatsuki wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:39 pm

How many freshman sires have sired 5 stakes winners in a day?(i know into mischief did but i dont think he was a freshman?)
Gun Runner isn't a freshman sire. He is a 2nd crop sire.
Flanders

Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:48 am

Stradivarius retired to the National Stud.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... red/580738
SukiSatsuki

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:18 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:14 am
SukiSatsuki wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:39 pm

Gun Runner isn't a freshman sire. He is a 2nd crop sire.
my bad what about second crop sires
Why walk when you could ride?
Miss Woodford

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:48 am Stradivarius retired to the National Stud.
https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... red/580738
Hopefully he gets a shot with some good flat mares.
Retrospectiv

Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm

Did you look at Danehill? Curious about his early stats
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Flanders

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:32 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm

I thought about him then I was checking so many he slipped my mind by the end. I just checked, while he had 7 G1SWrs in his first crop, he was a shuttle stallion and they were split 2 born in Ireland and 5 born in Australia.
Northport

Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:10 pm

Mishriff will stand in France next year under Sumbe’s banner at Haras de Montfort et Preaux.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... KrOwsXBqlw

Kind of surprised to see he is going ahead to race in the Arc. 12f isnt his best distance, and it kind of sound like the Arc dream died last season and the BC classic was his main fall target this year. Guess now that a deal has been secured, might as well five it a shot?
weeeeeeeee
Retrospectiv

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:07 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:32 pm

I thought about him then I was checking so many he slipped my mind by the end. I just checked, while he had 7 G1SWrs in his first crop, he was a shuttle stallion and they were split 2 born in Ireland and 5 born in Australia.
Total foal count between the two hemispheres in that initial crop? I wasn't sure if they were pumping them out from his 1st crop with him or not. Given his total foal numbers and relatively early death I assume he was covering big books from the get go.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Flanders

Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:54 pm

Retrospectiv wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:07 pm

Total foal count between the two hemispheres in that initial crop? I wasn't sure if they were pumping them out from his 1st crop with him or not. Given his total foal numbers and relatively early death I assume he was covering big books from the get go.
I don't know how to find that. He isn't going to be advertised in any of the old stallion directories I have since he was in Europe. Bloodhorse only shows Leading sire stats back to 2001 so I can't look there. I will keep trying to find that answer but no clue where to look right now.
Flanders

Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:12 am

Retrospectiv wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:07 pm

I've been trying to come up with a Danehill son that stood in the US that I might have had a stallion directory for. I just thought of North Light and I got the info you asked for.
His combined crop total for 1991 = 111 (65 IRE/46 AUS). So yes he was very impressive, especially with that first Australian crop.
Nenikikamen23

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:26 pm

Torquator Tasso (GER) retired to enter stud at Gestüt Auenquelle
Starine

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:50 pm

Nenikikamen23 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:26 pm Torquator Tasso (GER) retired to enter stud at Gestüt Auenquelle
Disappointing -- I had heard rumors he might be pointed to the Japan Cup.
Palace Malice

Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:31 pm

Starine wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:50 pm
Nenikikamen23 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:26 pm Torquator Tasso (GER) retired to enter stud at Gestüt Auenquelle
Disappointing -- I had heard rumors he might be pointed to the Japan Cup.
If he performs better on a softer surface, it might not be the best idea to bring him on a rock hard Japanese track :lol:
Nenikikamen23

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:25 am

Early Voting to Ashford Stud
TapitsGal

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:35 am

Nenikikamen23 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:25 am Early Voting to Ashford Stud
Retires with six career starts including 3 wins and a place. Last ran in the Travers stakes in August and was 8th and hasn't run since. Something must've happened that they don't feel he can run back at four. Guesses on what his stud fee will be? His only graded stakes wins are the grade 3 withers and the grade 1 Preakness
HB1994

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:20 am

He’ll be the first G1 winner by uber-hot Gun Runner at stud. A shiny new penny for those obsessed with first-year sires. That outweighs anything else he can do at the track.
Squeaky

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:21 am

Of course no reason given. Was he injured? Just off form?