Question about Northern Farm's stateside broodmares

Vermilion

Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:58 pm

I noticed that Swiss Skydiver and Heavenhasmynikki, both purchased by Northern Farm last November, weren't in the online Japanese studbook. I looked them up on The Jockey Club to see if either had an export on file and saw that the address for Swiss Skydiver was C/O Darby Dan and Heavenhasmynikki was C/O Ashford Stud. I don't know much about navigating The Jockey Club, but I assume that means the mares are in the care of those respective facilities.

Does anyone know if Northern Farm keeps any of its mares in the USA for extended periods of time (or permanently)? Or do the mares stay here to be bred to an American stallion before being sent to Japan?

I appreciate anybody's input. I'm a huge Swiss Skydiver fangirl and would be thrilled if there's a chance she'll remain here for a while.
Flanders

Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:35 pm

Swiss Skydiver was exported. Heavenhasmynikki was not.

I don't know if they keep any in the US permanently. I know they have bought a mare and had her bred to a US stallion before exporting. But they bought that one during the breeding season so it was different.
Vermilion

Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:35 pm Swiss Skydiver was exported. Heavenhasmynikki was not.

I don't know if they keep any in the US permanently. I know they have bought a mare and had her bred to a US stallion before exporting. But they bought that one during the breeding season so it was different.
Ah, that's a shame. I'm just glad Swiss is in a good place, though. I noticed that Jaywalk, Princess Noor, etc., all had Japanese addresses, so I just found it odd that the other two did not.

Thanks for letting me know about Swiss Skydiver and for sharing what you do know!
Flanders

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:34 pm

Vermilion wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:50 pm
Flanders wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:35 pm Swiss Skydiver was exported. Heavenhasmynikki was not.

Ah, that's a shame. I'm just glad Swiss is in a good place, though. I noticed that Jaywalk, Princess Noor, etc., all had Japanese addresses, so I just found it odd that the other two did not.

Thanks for letting me know about Swiss Skydiver and for sharing what you do know!
I DM'd you how to check if they've been exported.
Northport

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:36 pm

I know Teruya Yoshida/Shadai Farm isn't averse to keeping mares in England (Stacelita, no introduction required) and France (Biancarosa, dam of Tokyo Gold) for years at a time, breeding to European sires and sending the progeny to race in Japan most of the time, but I have noticed a couple going to French based Japanese trainer Satoshi Kobayashi too (like all the progeny of Biancarosa)

They don't seem to do the same in America. Lack of turf sires? I guess.
weeeeeeeee
Vermilion

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:13 pm

Northport wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:36 pm I know Teruya Yoshida/Shadai Farm isn't averse to keeping mares in England (Stacelita, no introduction required) and France (Biancarosa, dam of Tokyo Gold) for years at a time, breeding to European sires and sending the progeny to race in Japan most of the time, but I have noticed a couple going to French based Japanese trainer Satoshi Kobayashi too (like all the progeny of Biancarosa)

They don't seem to do the same in America. Lack of turf sires? I guess.
That's interesting! It makes sense why those mares would stay in Europe but not the USA. I'm curious to see if something like that would happen in the USA anytime soon though, especially with the recent performance of Japanese horses in international dirt races.

Thanks for sharing what you know!
stelladaniella

Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:51 pm

Skydiver's produce record was blank when I viewed it the other day. Wonder when we will get an update on her.
"until you go to Kentucky and with your own eyes behold the Derby, you ain't never been nowhere and you ain't seen nothing!"
mariasmon

Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:39 pm

What's interesting is that Swiss Skydiver is not listed in the Japanese Studbook among horses imported to Japan in 2021 or 2022. In JC, it looks like she's in the UK. Specifically at Juddmonte, so I wondered if she might be visiting Frankel or Kingman. Last year, their books were available in Weatherbys around August 6th or so.
tachyon

Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:42 pm

stelladaniella wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:51 pm Skydiver's produce record was blank when I viewed it the other day. Wonder when we will get an update on her.
mariasmon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:39 pm What's interesting is that Swiss Skydiver is not listed in the Japanese Studbook among horses imported to Japan in 2021 or 2022. In JC, it looks like she's in the UK. Specifically at Juddmonte, so I wondered if she might be visiting Frankel or Kingman. Last year, their books were available in Weatherbys around August 6th or so.

I want to know where Swiss Skydiver is now and who she has been bred to, too.
Katsumi Yoshida/Northern Farm has not released any info about the mare's status since their purchase at FT November Sale last year.
They have not given any hint on any Japanese media, either.

I have also now checked out all arrival records of foreign racehorses/sires/broodmares to Japan at the JAIRS website** (in Japanese) whose updates sometimes precede to the Japanese Studbook's updates. But there's been no mention for Swiss Skydiver yet, either.

**the JAIRS website (Japanese)
https://www.jairs.jp/contents/archives/2022/index.html

So I would not be surprised if she had been bred to one of the Juddmonte stallions and she is now in Europe.
I'm going to keep an eye on any update on her in those Japanese sources, anyway.
mariasmon

Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:51 pm

tachyon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:42 pm
stelladaniella wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:51 pm Skydiver's produce record was blank when I viewed it the other day. Wonder when we will get an update on her.
mariasmon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:39 pm What's interesting is that Swiss Skydiver is not listed in the Japanese Studbook among horses imported to Japan in 2021 or 2022. In JC, it looks like she's in the UK. Specifically at Juddmonte, so I wondered if she might be visiting Frankel or Kingman. Last year, their books were available in Weatherbys around August 6th or so.

Katsumi Yoshida/Northern Farm has not released any info about the mare's status since their purchase at FT November Sale last year.

I have also now checked out all arrival records of foreign racehorses/sires/broodmares to Japan at the JAIRS website** (in Japanese) whose updates sometimes precede to the Japanese Studbook's updates. But there's been no mention for Swiss Skydiver yet, either.

So I would not be surprised if she had been bred to one of the Juddmonte stallions and she is now in Europe.
I'm going to keep an eye on any update on her in those Japanese sources, anyway.
Do you have any idea when they commonly send mares to Japan after they are bred in Europe? I realize they may be planning to leave her in Europe for now. But, if she was heading to Japan this year, would they have already shipped her there?
tachyon

Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:09 am

mariasmon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:51 pm
tachyon wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:42 pm

Do you have any idea when they commonly send mares to Japan after they are bred in Europe? I realize they may be planning to leave her in Europe for now. But, if she was heading to Japan this year, would they have already shipped her there?
That's an interesting question, Mariamon!! :D
I've just looked up their past records.

Of the US-based G1 winning mares who were purchased by Katsumi Yoshida/Northern Farm in the recent years;

-- Callback(USA)(Street Sense) was purchased by Katsumi Yoshida at the Keeneland 2019 November Breeding Stock Sale in foal to MDO(USA).
Then she was shipped to Europe to foal her 2020 MDO filly(GB) in UK and to be bred to Frankel(GB) before arriving at Japan in the same year (it looked like it was in November/December, but I couldn't find out the exact date).
She foaled her 2021 Frankel colt(JPN) at Northern Farm in March before being bred to Duramente(JPN) in April.

-- Lady Ivanka(USA)(Tiz Wonderful) was purchased by Katsumi Yoshida at the Keeneland 2018 November Breeding Stock Sale.
Then she was shipped to Europe to be bred to Frankel(GB) in 2019 before arriving at Japan in the same year (it looked like it was in November/December, but I couldn't find out the exact date).
She foaled her 2020 Frankel colt(JPN) at Northern Farm in January before being bred to Satono Diamond(JPN) in April.

-- Finest City(USA)(City Zip) was purchased by Katsumi Yoshida at the FT 2017 November Sale.
Then she was shipped to Europe to be bred to Frankel(GB) in 2018 before arriving at Japan in the same year (it looked like it was in November/December, but I couldn’t find out the exact date).
She foaled her 2019 Frankel colt(JPN) at Northern Farm in January before being bred to Lord Kanaloa(JPN) in February.

So, if Swiss Skydiver was to take the same route as the above mentioned broodmares, she would not stay in Europe over multiple-years and might be sent to Japan a bit later this year.
But, of course, Katsumi Yoshida can change his mind.
mariasmon

Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:22 am

Okay, thanks, Tachyon! We'll have to keep watching Swiss Skydiver and see what they do with her.
tachyon

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:00 am

mariasmon wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:22 am Okay, thanks, Tachyon! We'll have to keep watching Swiss Skydiver and see what they do with her.
My pleasure!
It's not easy to trace the whereabouts of the broodmares after the sales.
Personally I always hope that Katsumi Yoshida/Northern Farm will become more proactive in sharing information especially about those very-top mares like Swiss Skydiver.
And, agreed, we will keep watching what they do with her!
mariasmon

Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:50 am

tachyon wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:00 am
mariasmon wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:22 am Okay, thanks, Tachyon! We'll have to keep watching Swiss Skydiver and see what they do with her.
My pleasure!
It's not easy to trace the whereabouts of the broodmares after the sales.
Personally I always hope that Katsumi Yoshida/Northern Farm will become more proactive in sharing information especially about those very-top mares like Swiss Skydiver.
And, agreed, we will keep watching what they do with her!
I agree. It would be nice for Northern Farm to share more about their top broodmares. I know they post some mare and foal photos during foaling season, but even more info would be great. A lot comes out about horses in race training in Japan, which is good to see. I like how many photos and videos Shigeki Yusa shares on social media of his stallions at JBBA. I would love it if the other stallion stations also did that.
Vermilion

Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:50 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded! I didn't know if Northern Farm ever had their mares bred abroad, so it's good to know that they've done it before.

If Swiss Skydiver did indeed go to one of the Juddmonte stallions, that would be pretty neat! I guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer and see what happens.
CorridorZ75

Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:41 pm

I wonder if she wouldn't do better staying in Europe with her foals going back to Japan as she is already a Halo line over a Storm Cat line which they have plenty of there.
haldrich

Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:45 am

Swiss Skydiver delivers first foal in Japan

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/s ... -in-japan/
Izvestia

Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:17 am

haldrich wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:45 am Swiss Skydiver delivers first foal in Japan

Beautiful baby.

The comment in that article about “giving all our horses to Japan” is so f’ing obnoxious. Honey, if you have a spare $4.7 million, you could have bought her too.
sweettalk

Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:28 am

Izvestia wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:17 am
haldrich wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:45 am Swiss Skydiver delivers first foal in Japan

Beautiful baby.

The comment in that article about “giving all our horses to Japan” is so f’ing obnoxious. Honey, if you have a spare $4.7 million, you could have bought her too.
while i agree with you, i do get a lil sad that breeders are so quick to sell off a stallion, and that we don't really treasure our racemares as future broodmares more than we do. good on japan tho, they have a very good eye for successful breeding stock. japanese racing is making some big noise, and they've earned/deserve it. our loss, we had our chance.