Stallion News

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Tue May 31, 2022 7:42 pm

I still maintain its incredibly stupid to blame Old Friends or shipping for what could happen at any time anywhere.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Northport

Tue May 31, 2022 8:22 pm

I won’t necessarily blame Old Friends, since they dont make the decision to move a horse, and who are they to deny horses being sent to them… but shipping across the globe, and a change of climate, and a change of routine is incredibly hard on a senior horse. Of course horses can drop dead in their stalls (ie. Midnight Bourbon), but why would you want to roll the dice on a very old, very legendary, horse? Old Friends has a noble mission, but you cannot compare the facilities and program between them and somewhere like Shadai and the JBBA.
weeeeeeeee
BaroqueAgain1

Tue May 31, 2022 8:40 pm

I do have some issues with Old Friends, because they were very eager to get those stars for fans to visit, and didn't seem to object to stressing old horses to get those stars.
And for NO ONE, including Bolton and the stallion managers in Japan, to know what was about to happen to cranky, old, no-I-don't-want-to-mount-that-mare War Emblem? That just pisses me off. Were there no professionals who understood the regulations for importing stallions involved in that mess? :evil:
WarBiscuit

Tue May 31, 2022 8:49 pm

Northport wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:22 pm I won’t necessarily blame Old Friends, since they dont make the decision to move a horse, and who are they to deny horses being sent to them… but shipping across the globe, and a change of climate, and a change of routine is incredibly hard on a senior horse. Of course horses can drop dead in their stalls (ie. Midnight Bourbon), but why would you want to roll the dice on a very old, very legendary, horse? Old Friends has a noble mission, but you cannot compare the facilities and program between them and somewhere like Shadai and the JBBA.
Every bit of your post is correct. I guess if someone did want to waste their time blaming Old Friends, you could make the case that they and the owners sometimes lobbied quite heavily to have the horses returned "home". As important as the fan base might be, the interest of the animal should always take precedent in my mind.

WarBiscuit
"One horse-laugh is worth ten thousand syllogisms. It is not only more effective; it is also vastly more intelligent." H.L. Mencken
Miss Woodford

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:25 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:50 pm Of the three notable stallions sent back from Japan to Old Friends (Charismatic, War Emblem, Silver Charm), only Silver Charm is still with us. Charismatic died less than two months after being shipped to Old Friends. War Emblem made it through five years but, before he could settle in at OF, the poor horse had to be gelded at a senior age. Because whoever decided to import a stallion infamous for refusing to breed was apparently ignorant of regulations stipulating that an imported stud had to breed test mares to determine if he was carrying an infectious disease. :roll:
Alysheba, 24, was brought back from Saudi Arabia in October 2008. He was dead by March of the following year.
WHY does anyone think it's a good idea to uproot senior stallions from longtime homes and transport them across the world...long, hard trips even for young, fit racehorses? :evil:
In the aftermath of the Ferdinand fiasco there was a lot of concern about the fate of all of the Kentucky Derby winners who were exported to other countries. With that in mind Michael Blowen and Old Friends negotiated the buy-back of the stallions you mentioned. He also tried to acquire Strike the Gold and Sea Hero from Turkey but was rebuffed; both stallions had been quite successful in their adopted home and were in no need of rescue. I can't blame OF for inquiring about them but it does seem like at times they have focused too much on getting the big "celebrity" horses rather than the cheap slow horses in more dire straits.
djnorth

Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:40 am

In defense of Old Friends (despite some serious issues I have with them), getting the "stars" might make sense for them economically. They try to get he "names" that people want to see, they donate and everyone is helped.

Depending on the horse, even a short move could be questioned. Awesome Again was reportedly very close to one of his grooms and died shortly after arrival at OF. However, he was elderly and the death could have happened at his old farm.

If I remember correctly (and I might not), Storm Cat was pensioned when Overbrook Farm was sold and the remainder of WT Young's horses dispersed but he stayed at the farm even though there were no other stallions left. I think a gelding named Clock Stopper also stayed in the adjoining paddock because the old guys were friends. SC lived there until he died.

I think evaluating how the horse has handled changes throughout his or her life should be the deciding factor.
Northport

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:20 am

djnorth wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:40 am
Depending on the horse, even a short move could be questioned. Awesome Again was reportedly very close to one of his grooms and died shortly after arrival at OF. However, he was elderly and the death could have happened at his old farm.
Ugh. Don't get me started on the move of Awesome Again. He was already 26 and had been living in a palace his whole life, with a groom who had said openly to the media that "this is the house that Awesome built" and that he was committed to taking care of the horse for the rest of his days once he was pensioned. I get that the Paris Adena Springs farm was being emptied to be sold, but they still have another property in Kentucky where Red Bullet and Macho Uno live. Touch Gold moved to OF at 21 and Alphabet Soup was 24 and it clearly didn't do them any harm, but moving Awesome Again just screamed "I am an owner who doesn't really know a lot about senior horse care but I sure do love good PR".

For another example, see Shadwell.
weeeeeeeee
djnorth

Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:25 am

I wonder about the Shadwell stallions as well. And I think a lot depends on the individual horse.

I don't think OF existed when SC was pensioned (not sure) but the Horse Park was there. It seems like Overbrook and the new owners worked out something for SC and Clock Stopper.

I can't believe that something couldn't have been worked out in some of these cases. I realize that some old horses do just fine with moving but many don't.
mariasmon

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:22 am

djnorth wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:25 am I wonder about the Shadwell stallions as well. And I think a lot depends on the individual horse.
I was concerned about them and frankly thought it was a crappy thing to do to them. Not sure about the others, but Swain apparently loves it. He's wondering where all this adulation has been for the last 25 years :lol: I hope his stablemates are at least content.
Slewfan2

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:17 am

Reading all this, I’m grateful that Indy was able to live out his days at Lanes End, not that that wasn’t always going to be the case. However, I wish Gulch also could have stayed - he was also quite old when he moved to OF.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:35 am

Per Starquine, G1W V.E. Day has been sold for $12K.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
TapitsGal

Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:07 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:32 pm Are you kidding me? :shock: :cry:
https://paulickreport.com/horse-care-ca ... ans-death/
So you mean to say that the statue of limitations for animal cruelty in Kentucky is less than a year? Because Laoban's one year anniversary of his death was may 24th,2022. This doesn't seem fair at all
20hayes20

Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:11 pm

Over the moon today Zarak had 2 group winners today at Chantilly

Baiykara winner the group 3 Prix De Royaumont.

Purplepay winning the group 2 Prix De Sandringham.

Also been a great day for the Aga Khan and me lol

Going out to celebrate on the sherbet now lol

Hayes
TwilightTear

Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:14 am

mariasmon wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:22 am
djnorth wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:25 am I wonder about the Shadwell stallions as well. And I think a lot depends on the individual horse.
I was concerned about them and frankly thought it was a crappy thing to do to them. Not sure about the others, but Swain apparently loves it. He's wondering where all this adulation has been for the last 25 years :lol: I hope his stablemates are at least content.
I was at Old Friends last weekend with a Silver Charm fan. We took the general public tour so we only saw Swain and Dumaani. Swain was in the back of his paddock and had a good roll before trotting up to the fence. He looked amazing. He clearly loved the attention, and he was as happy being petted as he was being fed. Dumaani was up in the barn in Soup's old stall. We were asked not to feed Dumaani but he had his head out, and we were told it was fine to pet him. He wasn't quite as enthused as Swain (really, only Game on Dude was as enthused as Swain...) but Dumaani did seem to like the attention and being petted. His eyes were bright, and he seemed engaged.

The guide mentioned that they receive horses from all over, and the stallions they received from Shadwell were notable in how they reflected excellent care and behavior.
mariasmon

Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:15 am

TwilightTear wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:14 am
I was at Old Friends last weekend with a Silver Charm fan. We took the general public tour so we only saw Swain and Dumaani. Swain was in the back of his paddock and had a good roll before trotting up to the fence. He looked amazing. He clearly loved the attention, and he was as happy being petted as he was being fed. Dumaani was up in the barn in Soup's old stall. We were asked not to feed Dumaani but he had his head out, and we were told it was fine to pet him. He wasn't quite as enthused as Swain (really, only Game on Dude was as enthused as Swain...) but Dumaani did seem to like the attention and being petted. His eyes were bright, and he seemed engaged.

The guide mentioned that they receive horses from all over, and the stallions they received from Shadwell were notable in how they reflected excellent care and behavior.
That sounds like a good sign.
TapitsGal

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:01 pm

You and I is gone. He was one of old friends oldest residents
ThreeMustangs

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:16 pm

TwilightTear wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:14 am

Thank you for this update. I am visiting OF in November and I can’t wait to see Swain. Well, all of the horses, but Swain in particular.
azeri2002

Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:39 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:17 am Reading all this, I’m grateful that Indy was able to live out his days at Lanes End, not that that wasn’t always going to be the case. However, I wish Gulch also could have stayed - he was also quite old when he moved to OF.
It seems to me like Lane's End must really adjust to their individual stallions and what would make them happiest when they are pensioned, because they don't seem to do the same thing with every horse. Gulch went to OF - maybe he was one who needed to get away from the breeding shed when he was pensioned, so as not to know mares were coming and going that he couldn't have? Maybe he enjoyed a little more interaction with people and they wanted to put him in a place where he could really enjoy it? I know they said Indy was happiest just staying in his routine where was just the absolute boss of the barn and remained in the front barn, same front paddock, same routine as the other stallions minus the trips to the breeding shed, etc. I know Kingmambo was moved to one of the back stallion barns where things would be a little quieter for him - he was happiest staying on the same property but with a little less activity. Lemon Drop Kid is also still in the stallion complex, but seems to be outside every time I am there, rather than going in and out on a more restricted schedule like some of the other pensioners have. Just IMHO that they seem to do a great job of planning a stallion's pensioned life based on his individual needs.
Slewfan2

Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:10 pm

azeri2002 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:39 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:17 am Reading all this, I’m grateful that Indy was able to live out his days at Lanes End, not that that wasn’t always going to be the case. However, I wish Gulch also could have stayed - he was also quite old when he moved to OF.
It seems to me like Lane's End must really adjust to their individual stallions and what would make them happiest when they are pensioned, because they don't seem to do the same thing with every horse. Gulch went to OF - maybe he was one who needed to get away from the breeding shed when he was pensioned, so as not to know mares were coming and going that he couldn't have? Maybe he enjoyed a little more interaction with people and they wanted to put him in a place where he could really enjoy it? I know they said Indy was happiest just staying in his routine where was just the absolute boss of the barn and remained in the front barn, same front paddock, same routine as the other stallions minus the trips to the breeding shed, etc. I know Kingmambo was moved to one of the back stallion barns where things would be a little quieter for him - he was happiest staying on the same property but with a little less activity. Lemon Drop Kid is also still in the stallion complex, but seems to be outside every time I am there, rather than going in and out on a more restricted schedule like some of the other pensioners have. Just IMHO that they seem to do a great job of planning a stallion's pensioned life based on his individual needs.
Great points - and that’s part of what makes Lane’s End so special. I have to smile, thinking of Indy enjoying being the boss, LLP lol.

I found this about Gulch at the time he moved to OF.....sounds like OF was perfect for this ham !
“Gulch has had a long and wonderful career here,” said Bill Farish of Lane’s End. “We wanted to make sure that he was well taken care of in his retirement and we thought our nearby neighbor Old Friends would be a great place for him.”

Farish said Gulch’s popularity with fans influenced the farm’s decision to send him to Old Friends, which is open to tourists daily.

“He was a horse that was well known to the public having been through the Triple Crown trail and having been a top 2-year-old and a champion sprinter,” said Farish. “He was a horse that people always wanted to see. Plus, he’s kind of a ham, and he will enjoy the attention immensely.”