question about "Mares Returns" on the KRA Studbook

brunanas

Fri May 27, 2022 10:10 pm

i've always thought of it as mares that were sent back for second (or more) covers, and perhaps that's what it actually is, but i've noticed that the Fertility Rate/Mares Conceived seems to be based on that instead of the Mares Covered as a whole. see for example Afleet Express, who covered 24 mares, had 7 Mares Returned and 7 Mares Conceived for a 100% fertility rate: https://studbook.kra.co.kr/neweng/html/ ... SS%20(USA)
so how does it actually work? was i correct about what Mares Returned was, and if so what is the fertility rate based on?
sorry if this is a dumb question... :?
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
Flanders

Fri May 27, 2022 10:47 pm

brunanas wrote: โ†‘Fri May 27, 2022 10:10 pm i've always thought of it as mares that were sent back for second (or more) covers, and perhaps that's what it actually is, but i've noticed that the Fertility Rate/Mares Conceived seems to be based on that instead of the Mares Covered as a whole. see for example Afleet Express, who covered 24 mares, had 7 Mares Returned and 7 Mares Conceived for a 100% fertility rate: https://studbook.kra.co.kr/neweng/html/ ... SS%20(USA)
so how does it actually work? was i correct about what Mares Returned was, and if so what is the fertility rate based on?
I feel like its mares that had foaling reports returned but I may be wrong. Like the Reports Received that the US jockey club does here: https://jockeyclub.com/default.asp?sect ... 0&letter=A
brunanas

Sat May 28, 2022 2:25 am

Flanders wrote: โ†‘Fri May 27, 2022 10:47 pm
brunanas wrote: โ†‘Fri May 27, 2022 10:10 pm i've always thought of it as mares that were sent back for second (or more) covers, and perhaps that's what it actually is, but i've noticed that the Fertility Rate/Mares Conceived seems to be based on that instead of the Mares Covered as a whole. see for example Afleet Express, who covered 24 mares, had 7 Mares Returned and 7 Mares Conceived for a 100% fertility rate: https://studbook.kra.co.kr/neweng/html/ ... SS%20(USA)
I feel like its mares that had foaling reports returned but I may be wrong. Like the Reports Received that the US jockey club does here: https://jockeyclub.com/default.asp?sect ... 0&letter=A
i see how that would make more sense ๐Ÿ˜… but i think it might not be foaling reports exactly but just bred reports submitted by the mares owners (which would make what Mares Covered is another question lol, tbh i never understood the difference between Mares Covered/Reports Received on the JC anyways), as they have a barren/slipped/dead foal tab anyways. do you happen to know the difference between the Covered/Reports on the JC happens to be? because they also have the Live Foals column so i again think it wouldn't be exactly a "foaling" report (as i believe the JC also counts barren mares and slipped as "Reports Received)
she/her
Flanders

Sat May 28, 2022 2:59 am

brunanas wrote: โ†‘Sat May 28, 2022 2:25 am
Flanders wrote: โ†‘Fri May 27, 2022 10:47 pm
i see how that would make more sense ๐Ÿ˜… but i think it might not be foaling reports exactly but just bred reports submitted by the mares owners (which would make what Mares Covered is another question lol, tbh i never understood the difference between Mares Covered/Reports Received on the JC anyways), as they have a barren/slipped/dead foal tab anyways. do you happen to know the difference between the Covered/Reports on the JC happens to be? because they also have the Live Foals column so i again think it wouldn't be exactly a "foaling" report (as i believe the JC also counts barren mares and slipped as "Reports Received)
I should have been more clear when I said foaling reports, a foaling report can be live foal, no foal, barren, slipped, etc. The breeder is reporting what the result of the breeding was the next year, or if the mare slips/doesn't get in foal, it can be submitted earlier with the US Jockey Club.

This is how I've always read the Breeding Statistics from the Jockey Club:
Mares Covered is exactly that, the number of different registered thoroughbred mares the stallion covered that year, regardless of if they got in foal or not
Reports Received is how many foaling reports the Jockey Club received, whether they are live foal, no foal, barren, slipped, etc. Some breeders don't bother to send in a report if the mare lost the foal or didn't get in foal. That is why sometimes in Breeding Stock sales, when a mare is being sold, her produce record will just have a year that says no report but it shows potential buyers that the mare was still bred, otherwise it would say Not Bred. Also reports received on the Jockey Club Breeding Statistics are just those that are received at the time they are supposed to be submitted, they do not add to those pages once they are published. Not all breeders are on time with registering their foals. So that number can be off. If the mare was exported out of country the foaling report wouldn't come to the US Jockey Club to be on the list either.

The best example I have seen of that last sentence was the 2016 breeding/2017 foaling year. Northern Afleet covered 106 mares but only had 46 reports received and 42 lives foals. However he had an additional 42 foals (yes really) born in Saudi Arabia that year.
brunanas

Sat May 28, 2022 12:01 pm

Flanders wrote: โ†‘Sat May 28, 2022 2:59 am I should have been more clear when I said foaling reports, a foaling report can be live foal, no foal, barren, slipped, etc. The breeder is reporting what the result of the breeding was the next year, or if the mare slips/doesn't get in foal, it can be submitted earlier with the US Jockey Club.

This is how I've always read the Breeding Statistics from the Jockey Club:
Mares Covered is exactly that, the number of different registered thoroughbred mares the stallion covered that year, regardless of if they got in foal or not
Reports Received is how many foaling reports the Jockey Club received, whether they are live foal, no foal, barren, slipped, etc. Some breeders don't bother to send in a report if the mare lost the foal or didn't get in foal. That is why sometimes in Breeding Stock sales, when a mare is being sold, her produce record will just have a year that says no report but it shows potential buyers that the mare was still bred, otherwise it would say Not Bred. Also reports received on the Jockey Club Breeding Statistics are just those that are received at the time they are supposed to be submitted, they do not add to those pages once they are published. Not all breeders are on time with registering their foals. So that number can be off. If the mare was exported out of country the foaling report wouldn't come to the US Jockey Club to be on the list either.

The best example I have seen of that last sentence was the 2016 breeding/2017 foaling year. Northern Afleet covered 106 mares but only had 46 reports received and 42 lives foals. However he had an additional 42 foals (yes really) born in Saudi Arabia that year.
now that makes sense haha thank you so much for your patience and for a very good explanation :lol:
she/her