Foaling Season 2022

Flanders

Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:08 pm

mariasmon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:23 pm
Northport wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:11 pm If they had a photographer out for a photoshoot of them and only them, they probably specifically turned them out alone on purpose. I wouldnt read into it too much.
Also, farms handle things differently and the foal may not yet have reached the age where Juddmonte turns them out in groups. The scenario where it was done for the photographer is more likely, though. Enable's foal is, what, 6 weeks old?
Yeah he was born right before Valentine's Day. She was paired up with another maiden mare, Franconia, and they were due at the same time but Enable went pretty much a month past her due date. So because of that, they might be waiting a little longer to turn them out with other horses to make sure the mares get along. But I agree with the others that it was most likely done for the photographer.
Slewfan2

Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:50 am

Honor A.P. keeps stamping his foals...they’re just beautiful, and this boy is no exception. His dam is the War Front mare Lady Mamba, whose dam is Versailles Treaty

https://twitter.com/lanesendfarms/statu ... 30057?s=21
Flanders

Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:58 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:50 am Honor A.P. keeps stamping his foals...they’re just beautiful, and this boy is no exception. His dam is the War Front mare Lady Mamba, whose dam is Versailles Treaty

Lady Mamba is by War Front out of Siren Serenade, by Unbridled's Song. Siren Serenade is a daughter of Versailles Treaty. The red flag to me was War Front and Versailles Treaty are both by Danzig.
Slewfan2

Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:58 pm

Flanders wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:58 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:50 am Honor A.P. keeps stamping his foals...they’re just beautiful, and this boy is no exception. His dam is the War Front mare Lady Mamba, whose dam is Versailles Treaty

Lady Mamba is by War Front out of Siren Serenade, by Unbridled's Song. Siren Serenade is a daughter of Versailles Treaty. The red flag to me was War Front and Versailles Treaty are both by Danzig.
Oops, thank you !

Oh my goodness...🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩
brunanas

Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:25 pm

would you look at this! Villa d'Este (Street Sense) delivered two healthy colts by Gift Box. it was not known she was carrying two babies.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ium=social
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
ThreeMustangs

Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:14 pm

brunanas wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:25 pm would you look at this! Villa d'Este (Street Sense) delivered two healthy colts by Gift Box. it was not known she was carrying two babies.
Wow—that is amazing. Bless her heart.
Squeaky

Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:11 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:14 pm
brunanas wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:25 pm would you look at this! Villa d'Este (Street Sense) delivered two healthy colts by Gift Box. it was not known she was carrying two babies.
Wow—that is amazing. Bless her heart.
Hope both foals and the mare do well. Kind of wish they would not breed her this year though- give her a chance to recover.
Summer Bird

Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:01 pm

I’m confused on how they did not know she was carrying twins. Do they not do a check for twins on the ultrasound? They should have kept checking her for up to 60 days and it’s clear they didn’t or else they would have spotted the twins. Pretty dumb on the farm’s part to be honest and they’re lucky nothing bad happened since it’s a huge risk foaling twins
Missbeholder

Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:17 pm

Summer Bird wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:01 pm I’m confused on how they did not know she was carrying twins. Do they not do a check for twins on the ultrasound? They should have kept checking her for up to 60 days and it’s clear they didn’t or else they would have spotted the twins. Pretty dumb on the farm’s part to be honest and they’re lucky nothing bad happened since it’s a huge risk foaling twins
My question exactly! Are ultrasounds at least once in an 11 month gestation not an absolute given? Zoo veterinarians do ultrasounds on most large animals regularly during pregnancies. I know, of course, that a domesticated horse is slightly different from a captive or zoo-bred elephant or rhino, but I think it would still be automatic. And certainly, if they did do an ultrasound, how could they have missed twins on a horse?

I know next to nothing about breeding farm operations and routines, but this absolutely shocks me!!😳
SukiSatsuki

Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:20 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:17 pm
Summer Bird wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:01 pm I’m confused on how they did not know she was carrying twins. Do they not do a check for twins on the ultrasound? They should have kept checking her for up to 60 days and it’s clear they didn’t or else they would have spotted the twins. Pretty dumb on the farm’s part to be honest and they’re lucky nothing bad happened since it’s a huge risk foaling twins
My question exactly! Are ultrasounds at least once in an 11 month gestation not an absolute given? Zoo veterinarians do ultrasounds on most large animals regularly during pregnancies. I know, of course, that a domesticated horse is slightly different from a captive or zoo-bred elephant or rhino, but I think it would still be automatic. And certainly, if they did do an ultrasound, how could they have missed twins on a horse?

I know next to nothing about breeding farm operations and routines, but this absolutely shocks me!!😳
Isnt she a half to barbaro?
Why walk when you could ride?
swale1984

Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:58 pm

SukiSatsuki wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:20 pm

Isnt she a half to barbaro?
No. According to Equibase:
Villa d'Este (KY)
TB, DK B/, M, FOALED FEBRUARY 7, 2009
( STREET SENSE - POLISH NANA, BY POLISH NUMBERS )
Missbeholder

Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:30 pm

The VILLA reference in her name logically comes from her sire STREET Sense.

Per PQ (I know I know not100%)
She has a 2014 colt by More Than Ready, who would now be an 8yo, that had 53 starts with an 8-8-10 record. He only earned a total of $307K though, so he wasn't racing in top company, but he was nothing if not sound!

It also says she has a 3yo filly (2019) by Exaggerator that broke her maiden in her only start to date but that earned her only $26K.....not the highest class for sure. I have no idea when she made that one start.....last year at 2, or recently this year.

Funny how stuff like this can interest me for some reason! Who knows?
Summer Bird

Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:45 pm

Farms here do routine checks on pregnant mares. There’s the 14, and then some recheck a couple days later for twins, 21, 30, 60, and 120 day checks. After those days the farm I’m at stops checking because they’re most likely to hold onto the foal once they get past 120 days. Now we do check all the mares in the fall to make sure they’re still in foal
Flanders

Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:09 pm

I was going to judge them harshly but then I thought about it. The mare would have been in Kentucky to get bred and I would assume she would stay there until they were sure she was in foal. I would be questioning where ever they had her boarded. As they should have had an ultrasound done to see if she was pregnant at 12 to 16 days, this is the easiest time to see if there are twins. There is only a small window where you can detect twins before its easy to miss one. Unless they shipped her back to Louisiana immediately following breeding and didn't wait to see if she got in foal, which I doubt since they shipped her to Kentucky to be bred. Also since she didn't have a foal in 2021, I would assume she would have been in Kentucky since the beginning of the breeding season to be covered early and it took a couple covers for her to get in foal.
Of course they could have just scanned her in foal in Kentucky, missed the twins, then shipped her back to Louisiana when she was in foal and didn't ultrasound her again later.
Falinadin

Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:15 pm

Same as what Flanders said, initially I was going to be a little judgemental of the farm because Thoroughbreds have high enough twinning rates that is basically a must that they be ultrasounded appropriately.
However, I had the privilege of seeing twins Ping and Pong as newborns. That happened because the mare was bred and after the very first scan confirmed she was in foal, the owner decided to pick her up from the farm and keep her at their place... and apparently never followed up with her ultrasounds. Next spring they bring her back to foal out and surprise! Twins. Wasn't the farm's fault :?
Summer Bird

Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:58 am

I did forget that she had to board in KY to be bred to Gift Box so yea any of those possibilities that Flanders mentioned could be the reason why they missed scanning her for twins!
RugbyGirl

Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:54 pm

My friend found out she was having twins when she was about 7.5 months pregnant apparently one twin had successfully hidden behind the other in the many ultrasounds before then!
Ask me any questions you have about New Zealand and Australia racing
Summer Bird

Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:27 am

Gosh now I remember how a vet the farm used to employ missed twins on a mare. When she foaled, she had a tiny filly and then after the placenta dropped, we found a mummified twin :oops:
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:57 am

Yeah I've heard of twins hiding on ultrasounds for a long time for people and animals. "Extra" puppies and kittens can also hide pretty easily on ultrasounds.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
ThreeMustangs

Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:37 am

Updated photo of this colt, whose stable name is Mau. What color is he going to be? Showcasing is bay, Peaceful Dream is chestnut.

Mylute wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:17 pm Unique face: colt by Showcasing o/o Peaceful Dream (Dream Ahead). Dam is half to Belvoir Bay. Cat nose!