Stallion News

TwilightTear

Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:03 pm

mariasmon wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:52 pm
Flanders wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:41 pm
mariasmon wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:37 pm

Kayrawan, Intidab, Dumaani and Swain have been pensioned for years. They're all +/- 30 years old. Shitty thing for Shadwell to do to them at this stage...JMHO.
Not just your opinion, I agree whole heartedly with you. Feel really bad for those guys. I typed pretty much the same reaction as you, while you were replying but wanted to post it. Honestly I didn't even realize some of these guys were still alive.
I'm guessing that Shadwell was hemorrhaging money under Sheikh Hamdan and he didn't care. His offspring are probably trying to shore things up, but this isn't a good look. Albertus Maximus is 18 and Mustanfar is 21 (contrary to the press release, which said he was 29), so they'll probably settle in and do fine. The other 4 are so old. I hate it for them.
I agree with you both. I think Old Friends is a wonderful place, but I cringed when I saw how old the stallions were (with the exception of the younger two). New home, new people, new routine, new neighbors ... what could possibly go wrong? :(
Northport

Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:24 pm

TwilightTear wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:03 pm
Flanders wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:41 pm
Not just your opinion, I agree whole heartedly with you. Feel really bad for those guys. I typed pretty much the same reaction as you, while you were replying but wanted to post it. Honestly I didn't even realize some of these guys were still alive.
I'm guessing that Shadwell was hemorrhaging money under Sheikh Hamdan and he didn't care. His offspring are probably trying to shore things up, but this isn't a good look. Albertus Maximus is 18 and Mustanfar is 21 (contrary to the press release, which said he was 29), so they'll probably settle in and do fine. The other 4 are so old. I hate it for them.
I agree with you both. I think Old Friends is a wonderful place, but I cringed when I saw how old the stallions were (with the exception of the younger two). New home, new people, new routine, new neighbors ... what could possibly go wrong? :(
It’s giving me notes of Awesome Again.

Nashwan Stud wasn’t part of their real estate dispersal, so this seems to me like a PR move orchestrated by owners who have never actually taken care of a horse, or senior horse, in their lives.

Nashwan Stud is literally a palace for horses. To see them move these old fellas from their immaculate (and pretty much empty) facilities and individually designed programs to a far (geographically) smaller and more economically run organization that has 150 other horses to take care of… it’s just not a good look.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Genuinely surprised Swain is still around.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:12 pm

WTH do you mean SukiSatsuki? That it doesn't matter if these senior stallions suffer from the trauma of being uprooted and moved to a strange place?
Horses are creatures of habit, and most of these pensioners have spent almost their whole lives in the same place, being pampered. This move could have tragic results if any of them deteriorate because they're stressed.
Both Alysheba and Charismatic didn't do well after being moved from their long-time homes.
IMHO Shadwell has taken the easy (and cheap) way out of continuing their commitment to care for their own retired stallions. :(
Flanders

Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:16 pm

Northport wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:24 pm
TwilightTear wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:03 pm

It’s giving me notes of Awesome Again.

Nashwan Stud wasn’t part of their real estate dispersal, so this seems to me like a PR move orchestrated by owners who have never actually taken care of a horse, or senior horse, in their lives.

Nashwan Stud is literally a palace for horses. To see them move these old fellas from their immaculate (and pretty much empty) facilities and individually designed programs to a far (geographically) smaller and more economically run organization that has 150 other horses to take care of… it’s just not a good look.
Yeah which makes me wonder if they are consolidating to that property from the others and don't want to have to deal with stallions, even pensioned ones. I believe Mohaymen is now the only stallion at the property, so I wouldn't be shocked if he is moved or sold after the breeding season. He hasn't been very popular. They had moved the others before this breeding season (Quarbaan and Tamarkuz) and now have given the pensioned stallions to Old Friends.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:20 pm

There has apparently been an issue with the insurance companies refusing to pay on the mortality coverage held on Laoban. :shock:

Co-Owner Of Deceased Laoban Sues Insurers Over Denial Of Mortality Coverage
Kevin Moody's Cypress Creek Equine LLC is suing four insurance companies that allegedly denied mortality coverage for Cypress Creek's interest in the WinStar Farm stallion Laoban, who died unexpectedly May 24, 2021, at the age of eight.
Read more: https://paulickreport.com/news/the-biz/ ... -coverage/
Starine

Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:31 pm

I had no idea that horses like Dumaani, Kayrawan and Intidab were still around. Like others, I hate that they were moved so late in life.
flytpthestars

Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:53 pm

Starine wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:31 pm I had no idea that horses like Dumaani, Kayrawan and Intidab were still around. Like others, I hate that they were moved so late in life.
Saw Dumaani when I visited Swain at Shadwell last fall. I cringe seeing that they all moved to OF. Nothing against OF, but the age of these pensioners is what bothers me. It is so hard on them.
brunanas

Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:58 pm

Flanders wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:38 pm
brunanas wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:13 pm Albertus Maximus, Kayrawan, Intidab, Mustanfar, Dumaani and Swain have all been pensioned and retired to Old Friends.
They were all pensioners already, some for a very long time. I wonder if they were at one of the farms that Shadwell is selling or if because they are selling those farms, they needed to consolidate horses and didn't want to bother with having retired stallions around anymore. I'm not happy about it and I feel bad for the older ones who have lived at the farm since they retired.
29 - Intidab
30 - Kayrawan and Swain
31 - Dumaani
oh my bad. i just saw a tweet mentioning it and posted it here, didn't know they had been pensioned already
she/her
professional plushie hoarder
sweettalk

Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:38 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:12 pm WTH do you mean SukiSatsuki? That it doesn't matter if these senior stallions suffer from the trauma of being uprooted and moved to a strange place?
Horses are creatures of habit, and most of these pensioners have spent almost their whole lives in the same place, being pampered. This move could have tragic results if any of them deteriorate because they're stressed.
Both Alysheba and Charismatic didn't do well after being moved from their long-time homes.
IMHO Shadwell has taken the easy (and cheap) way out of continuing their commitment to care for their own retired stallions. :(
i guess the post was deleted cuz i don't see what you're replying too, but i agree with you. i LOVE the idea and intent behind OF. but - and especially applied to overseas horses - it is really stressful for them to come off their usual routine. OF opened up abt Birdstone leaving gainesway for them, and how he had a meltdown. thank goodness for Sun King.
i visited Cat Thief's dam, Train Robbery, twice. she was a huge fave of mine for whatever reason. the first time was at Overbrook, and she was a hot mess because her daily routine was off - she SHOULD be out in the pasture, but is instead by the barn?? with strangers?? and it made her really upset.
FFW to Overbrook's dispersal. a wonderful woman who also loved her snapped her up, and i was able to see her again. the woman told me Train was completely off the rails. wouldn't eat, paced her stall, she wasn't sure if she could do anything. then she found some horse treats Train loved and won her over, and from there was able to get her settled in mostly. lived there til she was 30 or 31.

moving these older guys is really rough. it really should be considered more. (inb4 "well sometimes it's necessary!" but i feel like you guys know what i mean, you're all pretty horse-smart :) s'why i stay here)
Psychotic Parakeet

Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:23 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:20 pm There has apparently been an issue with the insurance companies refusing to pay on the mortality coverage held on Laoban. :shock:

Kevin Moody's Cypress Creek Equine LLC is suing four insurance companies that allegedly denied mortality coverage for Cypress Creek's interest in the WinStar Farm stallion Laoban, who died unexpectedly May 24, 2021, at the age of eight.
"On May 24, 2021, the healthy stallion Laoban, partially owned by Cypress, died unexpectedly … after being given vitamin and mineral supplements," states the plaintiff's complaint.

This is an interesting line. Makes me wonder if he was accidentally overdosed, or had an injection go in the wrong place? If it was human error, then that probably explains the denial.
I wanna do bad things with you.
Flanders

Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:43 pm

Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:23 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:20 pm There has apparently been an issue with the insurance companies refusing to pay on the mortality coverage held on Laoban. :shock:

"On May 24, 2021, the healthy stallion Laoban, partially owned by Cypress, died unexpectedly … after being given vitamin and mineral supplements," states the plaintiff's complaint.

This is an interesting line. Makes me wonder if he was accidentally overdosed, or had an injection go in the wrong place? If it was human error, then that probably explains the denial.
It was never confirmed in any official article but there was a post on twitter maybe(at the time of his death), that a b12 injection was accidentally given in an artery and it caused him to go into anaphylactic shock and die.
Psychotic Parakeet

Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:32 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:43 pm
Psychotic Parakeet wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:23 pm

It was never confirmed in any official article but there was a post on twitter maybe(at the time of his death), that a b12 injection was accidentally given in an artery and it caused him to go into anaphylactic shock and die.
If that is truly the case, and it was injected by someone that is either not a veterinarian or RVT, then that pretty much explains a lot. I tried finding that tweet, and came up empty-handed. Damn, what a costly mistake!
I wanna do bad things with you.
Northport

Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:21 pm

Yeah, as soon as I heard injection gone wrong I assumed someone hit an artery. Then I heard of insurance not paying out so then you gotta assume that a barn manager or groom perhaps gave the shot instead of a vet or vet tech. I feel for connections, it’s a terrifying thing to witness, regardless of the value of the horse. Either the medication goes straight to the brain and they drop and that’s it, or they go into shock and flip and hit their heads and then that’s it. We had it had it happen to one and it took 4 people holding the horse up against a wall until he came to his senses and was able to stand on his own 45 minutes later. All he wanted to do was rear.
weeeeeeeee
Falinadin

Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:21 pm

In school I saw a mare get sedation in her artery, I think with detomidine/torb, and she immediately leapt halfway out of the stocks and then went down between the stocks and the doorway and seized for a minute or so (felt like an eternity). We ended up having to drag her out in the open. Took her about an hour, but she eventually got up and ended up doing ok long term :?
ThreeMustangs

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:38 am

Europe ran its first 2yo races today and Sioux Nation had his first starter and first winner at the Curragh with the filly Ocean Quest.
Northport

Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:39 am

The Last Lion, winner of the 2016 G1 Middle Park who retired at 3 to stand at Darley, then Hedgeholme Stud, before fertility issues saw him return to training in 2021, has died after fracturing a hind pastern in a 6f Handicap at Kempton.

Probably couldve done better by an 8 year old former G1 winner who was off the track for 5 years

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/ ... ion/546388
weeeeeeeee
Squeaky

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:32 pm

What does the term BTH mean with regard to offspring accomplishments for a stallion? Thanks!
Flanders

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:40 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:32 pm What does the term BTH mean with regard to offspring accomplishments for a stallion? Thanks!
Black Type Horses - it counts all foals that have won or placed in stakes
Squeaky

Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:49 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:40 pm
Squeaky wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:32 pm What does the term BTH mean with regard to offspring accomplishments for a stallion? Thanks!
Black Type Horses - it counts all foals that have won or placed in stakes
Thank you!