Foaling Season 2022

sweettalk

Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:46 pm

Elate had a colt :D (Speightstown)
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:14 pm

Spanish Bunny (Unusual Heat) and her Uncle Mo colt have new pasture mates: Money Huntress (Mineshaft) and her colt by Gun Runner (facing the camera). Money Huntress has produced 2 SWs.
https://twitter.com/nmrhof/status/1502343607361028097
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
tachyon

Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:46 pm

-- from uma-furusato.com

https://uma-furusato.com/news/entry-59467.html

First Japanese foal by Noble Mission(GB) arrived on Jan 22nd at Akita Bokujo (Farm) -- a filly o/o Admire Luck(JPN) by Admire Moon(JPN).
Her dam is 1/2 to group winners Admire Fuji(JPN) and Admire Cosmos(JPN).

Flanders

Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:03 am

These might already be posted here but Bloodhorse has a 22 picture slideshow 2022 foals:

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ass-babies
Flanders

Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:50 am

Juddmonte posted this short video of Enable and her Kingman colt.

https://twitter.com/JuddmonteFarms/stat ... 8192980993
ThreeMustangs

Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:14 am

Flanders wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:50 am Juddmonte posted this short video of Enable and her Kingman colt.

https://twitter.com/JuddmonteFarms/stat ... 8192980993
Enable looks wonderful.
Izvestia

Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:54 pm

sweettalk wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:46 pm Elate had a colt :D (Speightstown)
Yay!!!
tachyon

Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:56 pm

First foal by All Blush(JPN)[War Emblem(USA)] arrived at Sasagawa Bokujo (Farm), Hokkaido, on March 4th 2022 -- a colt o/o Yukihana(JPN) by Manhattan Cafe(JPN).
https://www.jbis.jp/topics/simulation/r ... ?x=51&y=18

tachyon

Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:08 am

colt(JPN) - Kizuna(JPN) x Robe Tissage(JPN)(champion filly by War Emblem)

at Northern Farm
ThreeMustangs

Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:04 pm

Maggie Seidman @coloneljen
This colt was born last Thursday a few weeks late. Fortune Street/Solomini at McMahon Farm in Saratoga. A big boy with his adoring mom .

tachyon

Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:28 am

filly(JPN) - Kitasan Black(JPN) x Dance With Kitten(USA)(full to Divisidero)

at Shiraoi Farm
Slewfan2

Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:11 pm

A Chestnut HAP! Blinged out just like daddy...

https://twitter.com/auerheat/status/150 ... 25735?s=21
Summer Bird

Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:05 pm

Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:11 pm A Chestnut HAP! Blinged out just like daddy...

Would love to see a chestnut Honor A P, but the dark mane and tail means that foal is bay
Slewfan2

Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Summer Bird wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:05 pm
Slewfan2 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:11 pm A Chestnut HAP! Blinged out just like daddy...

Would love to see a chestnut Honor A P, but the dark mane and tail means that foal is bay
Oops, you’re right - I was just a bit surprised because all of the HAP foals have been very dark...
Falinadin

Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:54 am

I'm guessing that Honor AP is probably homozygous bay considering that both his dam and sire appear to be, and he can't produce a chestnut. Unless someone knows something I don't.
Flanders

Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:27 am

Falinadin wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:54 am I'm guessing that Honor AP is probably homozygous bay considering that both his dam and sire appear to be, and he can't produce a chestnut. Unless someone knows something I don't.
Yeah I agree with you, I started to make pretty much the same post earlier. But then I thought maybe wait cause he hasn't had many foals yet. Honor Code definitely can't sire chestnuts and I would lean toward Hollywood Story not being able to have chestnuts either. She has quite a few foals and a lot of them have sires who carry at least one chestnut gene. Her sire did have the chestnut gene though, so she *could* have it.
Slewfan2

Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:39 am

Flanders wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:27 am
Falinadin wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:54 am I'm guessing that Honor AP is probably homozygous bay considering that both his dam and sire appear to be, and he can't produce a chestnut. Unless someone knows something I don't.
Yeah I agree with you, I started to make pretty much the same post earlier. But then I thought maybe wait cause he hasn't had many foals yet. Honor Code definitely can't sire chestnuts and I would lean toward Hollywood Story not being able to have chestnuts either. She has quite a few foals and a lot of them have sires who carry at least one chestnut gene. Her sire did have the chestnut gene though, so she *could* have it.
I don’t know anything about this, but wouldn’t that be a surprise given that Indy sired many chestnuts ? Of course his dam sire was Chestnut, and with HAP, Secretariat is a few generations back
Flanders

Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:33 am

Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:39 am
I don’t know anything about this, but wouldn’t that be a surprise given that Indy sired many chestnuts ? Of course his dam sire was Chestnut, and with HAP, Secretariat is a few generations back
No. Each horse has 2 color genes, one from their sire and one from their dam. Honor Code definitely has 2 bay genes(homozygous) as he has never sired a chestnut. He has only sired bays, dkb/br, black and greys. Grey is a color modifier and a horse has a 50% chance of passing that gene on. So he was bred to grey mares and they passed the color modifier gene onto those foals.
It looks like Honor A P may be the same. He would have definitely received a bay gene from Honor Code and most likely from Hollywood Story.
A.P. Indy was bay/chestnut color genes. We can see that because he was bay but he sired chestnut foals. That chestnut gene he had would have come from Secretariat because Seattle Slew also could not sire chestnuts and Weekend Surprise was bay but her sire was Secretariat. Chestnut is a recessive gene, meaning it will only show if there are 2 copies of it. So Secretariat could only pass on the chestnut gene.
Slewfan2

Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:07 am

Flanders wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:33 am
Slewfan2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:39 am

No. Each horse has 2 color genes, one from their sire and one from their dam. Honor Code definitely has 2 bay genes(homozygous) as he has never sired a chestnut. He has only sired bays, dkb/br, black and greys. Grey is a color modifier and a horse has a 50% chance of passing that gene on. So he was bred to grey mares and they passed the color modifier gene onto those foals.
It looks like Honor A P may be the same. He would have definitely received a bay gene from Honor Code and most likely from Hollywood Story.
A.P. Indy was bay/chestnut color genes. We can see that because he was bay but he sired chestnut foals. That chestnut gene he had would have come from Secretariat because Seattle Slew also could not sire chestnuts and Weekend Surprise was bay but her sire was Secretariat. Chestnut is a recessive gene, meaning it will only show if there are 2 copies of it. So Secretariat could only pass on the chestnut gene.
Thanks for the explanation !

I was just so pleasantly surprised to see a foal of another color (not that I don’t adore the near black foals...daddy is passing on his big blaze and socks to his babies...😍😍😍
aethervox

Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:53 pm

Flanders wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:33 am No. Each horse has 2 color genes, one from their sire and one from their dam. Honor Code definitely has 2 bay genes(homozygous) as he has never sired a chestnut. He has only sired bays, dkb/br, black and greys. Grey is a color modifier and a horse has a 50% chance of passing that gene on. So he was bred to grey mares and they passed the color modifier gene onto those foals.
Sorry to jump in here, but there are 2 sets of genes (4 genes) involved in bay coloring. (There are variations and other genes that can modify color, but it gets complicated).

One set of genes determines the base color, Black or Chestnut (red). These are usually abbreviated as B - black (capitalized because it's dominant) and b - red (lower case because it's recessive). If a horse receives a B gene from either parent, it's base color is black. If it gets 2 b genes it's a chestnut.

The second set of genes, abbreviated A, determines if a horse is Bay. Upper case means it's present, lower case means it's not. The A gene acts on a black base coat, and limits the black to the extremities. (Imagine a person wearing a black, long-sleeved T-shirt and putting a red, short-sleeved T-shirt over it). A is dominant to a, so only a horse with aa is black (which is why black is rare). Red horses can have the A gene but it won't show because the A gene only acts on the B gene (imagine putting a red, short-sleeved T-shirt over a red, long-sleeved T-shirt). That means you can breed a black horse to a chestnut horse and get a bay.

So a bay horse would be Bx Ax (where x is either form of the gene)
A black horse would be Bx aa
A chestnut horse would be either bb Ax or bb aa.

A horse that only produces bay foals would be BB AA.
A horse that only produces bay or black foals would be BB Ax.

The only way to be sure what genes the horse carries is to do a DNA test.

I hope this helps.
aethervox