Stallion News

CorridorZ75

Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:36 pm

Although there was never a particularly utopian era of horse breeding and racing, the sport did seem a lot more interesting when people were breeding to race and maintained at least small broodmare bands. Even though the descent started with the crazy days of the late 70s and 80s, the critical fault line has been reached and now everyone is breeding to sale, with not a strong enough base of breeders who race and there are just not enough buyers ....which leads to an excess of poorly bred horses that no one wants...which end up in really unfortunate circumstances very quickly.
Missbeholder

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:11 am

ThreeMustangs wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:15 pm Freud is aging well.

https://twitter.com/sequelnewyork/statu ... 46624?s=21
Goodness! He certainly is! I guess I haven't seen that many pictures of him, or not paid much attention to the ones I have. I didn't realize he was so dark-coated! He's really beautiful......shame on me for not knowing HOW beautiful for all these years! 🥰
Flanders

Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:15 am

Gemini wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:24 pm
Kentucky can push the bill through but its not going to do anything. No one is going to register the foals because only the Jockey Club is allowed to. The breeders that are slow to register their foal or their mares foal late are going to be the ones that get screwed. Foal 141 and up are not going to be able to be registered anywhere, they are not going to be recognized as thoroughbreds and are not going to have value as a thoroughbred.

I thought the breedings were limited to 140 individual mares. So if you consider that some mares may abort, or die during gestation, or some foals may die after birth, it seems that statistically at most you can expect 120 foals to be registered. Thus, there probably isn't much risk that "foal #141" gets shut out of registration.
Yes but my message was that Kentucky thinks they can just make a bill to bypass Jockey Club rules. And if they pass the bill and breeders think they can still breed beyond that number, what will the Jockey Club do? Only register foals out of the first 140 mares bred? Its the same difference, then foal 121 gets shut out.
Like I said, its not going to matter if the bill gets put through because its not going to work, I just don't want to see any breeders getting screwed over because Kentucky lawmakers think they can pass this bill.
ThreeMustangs

Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:56 am

Flanders wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:15 am
Kentucky can push the bill through but its not going to do anything. No one is going to register the foals because only the Jockey Club is allowed to. The breeders that are slow to register their foal or their mares foal late are going to be the ones that get screwed. Foal 141 and up are not going to be able to be registered anywhere, they are not going to be recognized as thoroughbreds and are not going to have value as a thoroughbred.

I thought the breedings were limited to 140 individual mares. So if you consider that some mares may abort, or die during gestation, or some foals may die after birth, it seems that statistically at most you can expect 120 foals to be registered. Thus, there probably isn't much risk that "foal #141" gets shut out of registration.
Yes but my message was that Kentucky thinks they can just make a bill to bypass Jockey Club rules. And if they pass the bill and breeders think they can still breed beyond that number, what will the Jockey Club do? Only register foals out of the first 140 mares bred? Its the same difference, then foal 121 gets shut out.
Like I said, its not going to matter if the bill gets put through because its not going to work, I just don't want to see any breeders getting screwed over because Kentucky lawmakers think they can pass this bill.
Ah, but the lawmakers can still say they did their part to help the farms and their deep-pocketed lobbyists. $$$
ThreeMustangs

Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:26 pm

Interesting timing of this announcement:

The Jockey Club announced today that it is rescinding the following italicized language in Rule 14C of The Jockey Club’s Principal Rules and Requirements of the American Studbook that addresses limitations to the total number of mares bred per stallion:

The total number of broodmares bred per individual stallion whose year of birth is 2020 or thereafter shall not exceed 140 per calendar year in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The Jockey Club shall limit the number of Stallion Service Certificates for such stallions to a maximum of 140 per calendar year.

A similar rule was first proposed in September 2019 before being adopted in its current form by the board of stewards in May 2020, following extensive public comment.

“The Jockey Club board of stewards is rescinding this rule as it is concerned that the reaction to the rule may divide the industry at a time when there are many important issues that need to be addressed with unity,” said Stuart S. Janney III, chairman of The Jockey Club. “We are taking this action for the greater good of the entire industry.

“The Jockey Club remains committed to the sustainability and welfare of the breed and will continue to invest in programs and research that will bolster and support the industry in the years to come.”

The Jockey Club will continue to maintain the Principal Rules and Requirements of the American Studbook in keeping with its mission to ensure the health of the Thoroughbred breed.

The Jockey Club, founded in 1894 and dedicated to the improvement of Thoroughbred breeding and racing, is the breed registry for North American Thoroughbreds. In fulfillment of its mission, The Jockey Club, directly or through subsidiaries, provides support and leadership on a wide range of important industry initiatives, and it serves the information and technology needs of owners, breeders, media, fans and farms. It is the sole funding source for America’s Best Racing, the broad-based fan development initiative for Thoroughbred racing. You can follow America’s Best Racing at americasbestracing.net. Additional information is available at jockeyclub.com.

https://jockeyclub.com/Default.asp?sect ... story=1320
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:57 pm

California sire Ministers Wild Cat has been pensioned at 22.

The Paulick Report article says he is a sibling to War Front which is not true.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Northport

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:22 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:26 pm Interesting timing of this announcement:

The Jockey Club announced today that it is rescinding the following italicized language in Rule 14C of The Jockey Club’s Principal Rules and Requirements of the American Studbook that addresses limitations to the total number of mares bred per stallion:

The total number of broodmares bred per individual stallion whose year of birth is 2020 or thereafter shall not exceed 140 per calendar year in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The Jockey Club shall limit the number of Stallion Service Certificates for such stallions to a maximum of 140 per calendar year.

A similar rule was first proposed in September 2019 before being adopted in its current form by the board of stewards in May 2020, following extensive public comment.

“The Jockey Club board of stewards is rescinding this rule as it is concerned that the reaction to the rule may divide the industry at a time when there are many important issues that need to be addressed with unity,” said Stuart S. Janney III, chairman of The Jockey Club. “We are taking this action for the greater good of the entire industry.

“The Jockey Club remains committed to the sustainability and welfare of the breed and will continue to invest in programs and research that will bolster and support the industry in the years to come.”

The Jockey Club will continue to maintain the Principal Rules and Requirements of the American Studbook in keeping with its mission to ensure the health of the Thoroughbred breed.

The Jockey Club, founded in 1894 and dedicated to the improvement of Thoroughbred breeding and racing, is the breed registry for North American Thoroughbreds. In fulfillment of its mission, The Jockey Club, directly or through subsidiaries, provides support and leadership on a wide range of important industry initiatives, and it serves the information and technology needs of owners, breeders, media, fans and farms. It is the sole funding source for America’s Best Racing, the broad-based fan development initiative for Thoroughbred racing. You can follow America’s Best Racing at americasbestracing.net. Additional information is available at jockeyclub.com.

Spineless but whatever i guess
weeeeeeeee
starrydreamer

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:31 pm

Mylute wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:57 pm California sire Ministers Wild Cat has been pensioned at 22.

The Paulick Report article says he is a sibling to War Front which is not true.
Article here: https://paulickreport.com/news/bloodsto ... ned-at-22/

Yeah, they meant War Chant, not War Front. War Chant and Ministers Wild Cat are both out of the wonderful Hollywood Wildcat. Pretty sure War Chant has never been a champion sire. War Chant and War Front are both by Danzig, but that's about as close a relationship as Ministers Wild Cat has with War Front. :lol:
Ziggypop

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:35 pm

Northport wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:22 pm
ThreeMustangs wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:26 pm Interesting timing of this announcement:

Spineless but whatever i guess
The abject greed at a huge cost for health and welfare of the horses, is appalling. Between this, and the silence about Creative Plan and tbs in slaughter pens, constant drug usage, makes this industry unbearable to support any more. For the true love of horses, the industry may need die. And perhaps it can reinvent itself into something not deplorable.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:43 pm

G1W Hog Creek Hustle (Overanalyze) has been retired to Buck Pond Farm in Kentucky.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Gemini

Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:45 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:15 am

Well, the issue is moot now since no one's going to bother capping stallion books. :lol:
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:50 pm

Paulick has an article with comments on the decision to rescind the 140-mare cap.
https://paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-pa ... -mare-cap/

TVG's Mike Joyce said: "'I'm pro artificial insemination and embryo transfers. Works great in QH breeding and it cuts down your pedigree handicapping by like 98%."
That may be because genetic diversity could be cut down by like 98%. :roll:
TapitsGal

Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:10 am

Coolmore and spendthrift ought to be happy considering they were suing the jockey club over this. And the biggest force behind the Kentucky bill also happens to own the tb farm shawan place
Flanders

Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:28 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:46 pm I wonder if Blowen is going to need to find a new companion for 'Soup's buddy, the donkey Gorgeous George. They were pretty bonded and I'm sure George misses his buddy. :(
They put him in with Ide. https://www.facebook.com/oldfriendsequi ... 9968414670
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:40 pm

Is there another source for that news/photo? The link won't let me look unless I log on through Facebook.
And I don't do Facebook. Or Meta. :roll:
ThreeMustangs

Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:12 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 3:40 pm Is there another source for that news/photo? The link won't let me look unless I log on through Facebook.
And I don't do Facebook. Or Meta. :roll:

Tweet: https://twitter.com/oldfriendsfarm/stat ... 33415?s=21
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:29 pm

Thank you! It's so sweet that George and Ide are happy companions.
Starine

Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:13 pm

Very cool. I had no idea Ide was even still around.
Flanders

Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:36 pm

Ironicus was sold to Uruguay. He is already there, they just haven't announced his sale yet. I found it via instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZDWSrfpbar/
Danniwolfe

Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:17 am

TapitsGal wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:31 pm Yikes that fragile uncle chuck has attracted 60 mares
Thats okay they wont be on the track long
Just riding through life one shaky canter stride at a time