Stallion News

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:36 pm

G3W Gershwin (Distorted Humor) will stand at Haras Vikeda in Argentina. He is a half-brother to Mystic Guide, being out of Music Note.
https://www.turfdiario.com/gershwin-la- ... eenspring/
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Northport

Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:00 pm

Top French stallion Le Havre has been pensioned at the age of 16 due to health issues. His top progeny included Wonderful Tonight, La Cressonniere, Avenir Certain, Suedois, etc.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... mUZDHbJepA
weeeeeeeee
CorridorZ75

Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:47 pm

Damn I hate to hear that. The Blushing Groom line hanging on by a thread.
Gemini

Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:37 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 6:47 pm Damn I hate to hear that. The Blushing Groom line hanging on by a thread.
At least Le Havre has a couple of sons at stud. I'm sure he'll have a few more from his last crops.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm

You and I turns 31 today!
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Izvestia

Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:47 am

Mylute wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm You and I turns 31 today!
I remember when he raced!
starrydreamer

Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:31 am

Izvestia wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:47 am
Mylute wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm You and I turns 31 today!
I remember when he raced!
Same! And I remember his dam, La Chaposa because she is also the dam of Chaposa Springs, multiple G1 winner, and both she and You and I were running around the same time.
BaroqueAgain1

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:31 pm

Sir Dudley Digges (Gio Ponti) has been on a bit of a journey, but now seems to have found a home with someone who will use him as a both a breeding stallion AND as a potential jumper. Stallions do well competing as show jumpers, so I hope SDD excels in this new career. :D
https://paulickreport.com/news/bloodsto ... n-eventer/
Mylute

Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:19 pm

Value Plus has been pensioned due to "failing health."
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ing-health
ThreeMustangs

Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:06 pm

Northport wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:21 pm They done did it. Jockey Club officially limiting book size to 140 mares for any stallion born in 2020 or later

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/bloo ... 140-mares/

Spendthrift and Coolmore are SHAKING right now :lol:

I'm kind of waiting to see someone come out and say something about how this goes against free market principles that is the fabric of North American (mostly American) capitalism.

Though... obviously the future high end stallions will be more expensive, but, at the same time, maybe fees will go up across the board. Some farms' bread and butter (Spendthrift comes to mind) is getting huge books for their young stallions, most of whom are priced at $10,000 and lower. Knowing this, each covering just got a lot more valuable... for their future stallions.

Either way, I think it's a good mandate, and am interested to see how it pans out in the next 5-10 years. This sport seems like it can't help but sewer itself in North America, so it's nice to see at least one of the governing bodies take proactive steps to look after welfare of the stallions and the betterment of the breed as a whole.
The Kentucky state legislature is getting involved—on the farms’ side, of course. HB 496 was introduced today:

Create a new section of KRS Chapter 230 to prohibit a Thoroughbred registrar from restricting the number of mares bred to a stallion or refusing to register a foal based on the number of mares bred to the foal's stallion; direct the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to select and use a Thoroughbred registrar; require the registrar to submit to Kentucky jurisdiction and comply with KRS Chapter 230; instruct the racing commission to promulgate administrative regulations relating to Thoroughbred registrars; amend KRS 230.210 to remove the example of a Thoroughbred registrar; amend KRS 230.400 to allow the Kentucky Thoroughbred development fund registrar to stamp a Thoroughbred's certificate with the registrar's seal.

(Info from this tweet: https://twitter.com/gracewell17/status/ ... 12418?s=21)

This could get really interesting. What would happen if a horse on the Kentucky registry but not registered with the Jockey Club tried to race in other jurisdictions? Why would anyone buy one of those horses at auction? Sounds like a windfall for attorneys.
TapitsGal

Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:23 pm

Mylute wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:19 pm Value Plus has been pensioned due to "failing health."
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ing-health
This makes me very sad that his health is failing and also makes me afraid that the farm will announce on Facebook we've lost him before the end of the year. I absolutely LOVE value plus and have adored him since his racing days. I follow stride away thoroughbreds on Facebook and they are constantly posting pics and updates of value plus. The ones where he meets his foals are adorable. They are clearly very proud of him and love him deeply and feel fortunate to have him. I'll feel sad for them if they lose him
Mylute

Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:29 pm

"Failing health" is very vague and could really mean anything from "he's just getting old and rickety" to "he only has a few months left."

Hopefully it's more like the former and he can have a couple years of true retirement before passing on.
TapitsGal

Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:38 pm

ThreeMustangs wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:06 pm
Northport wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:21 pm They done did it. Jockey Club officially limiting book size to 140 mares for any stallion born in 2020 or later

I'm kind of waiting to see someone come out and say something about how this goes against free market principles that is the fabric of North American (mostly American) capitalism.

Though... obviously the future high end stallions will be more expensive, but, at the same time, maybe fees will go up across the board. Some farms' bread and butter (Spendthrift comes to mind) is getting huge books for their young stallions, most of whom are priced at $10,000 and lower. Knowing this, each covering just got a lot more valuable... for their future stallions.

Either way, I think it's a good mandate, and am interested to see how it pans out in the next 5-10 years. This sport seems like it can't help but sewer itself in North America, so it's nice to see at least one of the governing bodies take proactive steps to look after welfare of the stallions and the betterment of the breed as a whole.
The Kentucky state legislature is getting involved—on the farms’ side, of course. HB 496 was introduced today:

Create a new section of KRS Chapter 230 to prohibit a Thoroughbred registrar from restricting the number of mares bred to a stallion or refusing to register a foal based on the number of mares bred to the foal's stallion; direct the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to select and use a Thoroughbred registrar; require the registrar to submit to Kentucky jurisdiction and comply with KRS Chapter 230; instruct the racing commission to promulgate administrative regulations relating to Thoroughbred registrars; amend KRS 230.210 to remove the example of a Thoroughbred registrar; amend KRS 230.400 to allow the Kentucky Thoroughbred development fund registrar to stamp a Thoroughbred's certificate with the registrar's seal.

This could get really interesting. What would happen if a horse on the Kentucky registry but not registered with the Jockey Club tried to race in other jurisdictions? Why would anyone buy one of those horses at auction? Sounds like a windfall for attorneys.
Would this also be a way farms could get around the no AI rule?
Flanders

Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:37 am

ThreeMustangs wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:06 pm

I thought I was going to keep this short, yeah didn't happen. ;)

The Kentucky state government doesn't understand breed registries. The Jockey Club can do whatever they want within reason. There is no other thoroughbred registrar that is allowed to register Kentucky born foals. Which is what it seems they want by these statements: "direct the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission to select and use a Thoroughbred registrar; amend KRS 230.400 to allow the Kentucky Thoroughbred development fund registrar to stamp a Thoroughbred's certificate with the registrar's seal."

The Jockey Club is part of the International Stud Book Committee. Their rules are a foal has to be registered by its countries thoroughbred Stud Book Authority. Because of that rule Kentucky can't just randomly pick some other stud book to register the foals and they can't just decide they are going to become a thoroughbred registrar themselves. The ISBC does not grant multiple thoroughbred registries to one country. One country stud book can register foals for multiple countries, as long as those countries do not already have a stud book authority, like is the case with the Jockey Club(registering both US and Canada foals). There is also a rule that a registrar isn't allowed to bow to the will of breeders or their associations (which is what Kentucky wants with that bill). For a horse to be recognized by the IFHA(International Federation of Horseracing Authorities) as a thoroughbred it has to have been registered by a stud book that has been given Approved status by the ISBC. The ISBC also has this (they don't appear to have been able to have a meeting since covid happened, so this was from 2019).
3. The Inbreeding Coefficient in Thoroughbreds
The membership of the ISBC continued its monitoring of the loss of genetic diversity that attends closed stud books such as Thoroughbreds. Members and experts presented recent scientific reports regarding inbreeding. The ISBC noted the recommendation of the Chairman of the Welfare and Genetics Sub-Committee to explore an independent, international, collaborative study. The ISBC also noted the US Jockey Club’s recent proposal to cap the number of mares covered by stallions and asked the US Jockey Club to maintain its close liaison with members as their proposal continues to mature.
So it appears they support and are actually very interested in seeing how it works to help with loss of genetic diversity. This has to be heartbreaking to the Kentucky lawmakers.

Kentucky can push the bill through but its not going to do anything. No one is going to register the foals because only the Jockey Club is allowed to. The breeders that are slow to register their foal or their mares foal late are going to be the ones that get screwed. Foal 141 and up are not going to be able to be registered anywhere, they are not going to be recognized as thoroughbreds and are not going to have value as a thoroughbred.

And to Tapitsgal, no it doesn't open up AI. Its against the breed rules for all Thoroughbreds registries in the world, no registry will register an AI born foal.
Squeaky

Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:39 pm

Value Plus pensioned due to failing health. The once million dollar plus yearling was more recently sold in 2017 for 13k to a breeding farm in Canada.
Gemini

Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:24 pm

Kentucky can push the bill through but its not going to do anything. No one is going to register the foals because only the Jockey Club is allowed to. The breeders that are slow to register their foal or their mares foal late are going to be the ones that get screwed. Foal 141 and up are not going to be able to be registered anywhere, they are not going to be recognized as thoroughbreds and are not going to have value as a thoroughbred.

I thought the breedings were limited to 140 individual mares. So if you consider that some mares may abort, or die during gestation, or some foals may die after birth, it seems that statistically at most you can expect 120 foals to be registered. Thus, there probably isn't much risk that "foal #141" gets shut out of registration.