Stallion News

TapitsGal

Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:21 pm

Anyone else skeptical about the timing of mo forzas retirement.. coincidence it's announced around the time his trainer busts positive for third time in a year?
TapitsGal

Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:33 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:09 pm For some reason, GSP Beau Liam has been retired to Airdrie.

G1W Mo Forza to Rancho San Miguel.
Beau Liam is the "fastest three year old of his generation"...I'm skeptical about that and "faster than this years winning Kentucky derby time" mhmm hmm lots of horses can lay that claim
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm

Video of Killybegs Captain (Mizzen Mast) at Mill Creek in New York. Very handsome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBgNWo4ril4
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:47 pm

In belated news, the first starter for Power Jam (Concord Point) was also his first winner back in May.

His first winner is a quarter horse/appendix named Powerhouse (o/o Favorite Kiss, by Favorite Cartel). Coincidentally, Favorite Trick appears on the damside of Powerhouse.

Power Jam set 2 track records (one in a stakes) while racing. He retired to Jumonville Farms in Louisiana, where we was primarily advertised as a quarter horse racing stallion. He has sired a handful of pure thoroughbred foals who have yet to race but 2 are posting workouts.

As of November 19, Power Jam has 4 winners and 1 placed from FIVE to race.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:01 pm

Powerhouse has a LOT of TB blood. By TB Power Jam and out of a 1/4 TB mare (Favorite Cartel is by Favorite Trick, IIRC), so he's 5/8 TB. I didn't think even Appendix QHs could have that much TB in them.
Powerhouse should have no problem getting a full 440 with that pedigree. ;)
Starine

Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:06 pm

Mylute wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm Video of Killybegs Captain (Mizzen Mast) at Mill Creek in New York. Very handsome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBgNWo4ril4
Of course he is. He's a Mizzen Mast. 8-)
BaroqueAgain1

Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:06 am

He is very handsome...but I was a little alarmed to see that his paddock was right next to a road.
Sorry...guess I've read too many stories about light grey/white horses being used for target practice by ******* sociopaths. :evil:
And maybe too easy to steal? :?
Flanders

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:25 pm

Carpe Diem to Louisiana and Exaggerator to ???(hasn't been decided yet) but both were sold. Exaggerator was bought back by one of his co-owners during this racing career so I'd imagine he ends up in a regional US market.

https://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com/c ... -relocate/
Flanders

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:29 pm

Sombeyay to Swifty Farms in Indiana

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... ifty-farms
Flanders

Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:30 pm

PlanetRock wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:58 pm I saw someone say that Klimt has been sold to Turkey, anyone heard anything about it?

*edit* seems as though it’s correct.
Bloodhorse picked up on the article. Turkey has had him listed as a coming soon stallion for awhile.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... -of-turkey
Gemini

Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:31 pm

Flanders wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:25 pm Carpe Diem to Louisiana and Exaggerator to ???(hasn't been decided yet) but both were sold. Exaggerator was bought back by one of his co-owners during this racing career so I'd imagine he ends up in a regional US market.

I'm disappointed but not surprised by Exaggerator.
Northport

Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:08 pm

Not being sarcastic, it’s nice to see a racing owner buy back former horse even without a firm plan of next steps for the stallion. I wonder if WinStar was shopping international offers and Rocker O Ranch caught wind or were given first right of refusal.

Not that all international stud farms are automatically sketchy (though I would never sell a horse to Korea, Libya, Peru etc, knowing what we know now). But if a horse gave you the thrill of a lifetime and you can afford to keep him as a lawn ornament or to find a small farm to stand him… why not?
weeeeeeeee
TapitsGal

Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:18 am

Flanders wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:25 pm Carpe Diem to Louisiana and Exaggerator to ???(hasn't been decided yet) but both were sold. Exaggerator was bought back by one of his co-owners during this racing career so I'd imagine he ends up in a regional US market.

Heard exaggerator is headed to Texas
Missbeholder

Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:47 pm

Northport wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:08 pm Not being sarcastic, it’s nice to see a racing owner buy back former horse even without a firm plan of next steps for the stallion. I wonder if WinStar was shopping international offers and Rocker O Ranch caught wind or were given first right of refusal.

Not that all international stud farms are automatically sketchy (though I would never sell a horse to Korea, Libya, Peru etc, knowing what we know now). But if a horse gave you the thrill of a lifetime and you can afford to keep him as a lawn ornament or to find a small farm to stand him… why not?
I hate asking this question because I'm afraid of the answer. Are horses in Korea at high risk now? The US has exported lots of horses to Korea over the last couple of decades, but I'm seeing growing hints that it's a dangerous place for an equine.

I'm just wondering if bad news has been coming out of there for some time and I just haven't seen it. I don't think I've been living under a rock lately, so it really bothers me that I might have missed something like this.

Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance.
HB1994

Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:24 pm

Happy birthday to Lonhro, who is stunning—and an easy keeper, apparently.

https://twitter.com/darleyaus/status/14 ... 99622?s=21
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Boy, I feel old; Lonhro is about to turn 24 and I remember him racing. :oops:
He looks really good for his age.
Northport

Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Former Spendthrift stallion Medal Count has been gelded and is available through New Vocations for $500

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... v0OJ_fF2IM
weeeeeeeee
CleverCharm

Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:56 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:47 pm
Northport wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:08 pm Not being sarcastic, it’s nice to see a racing owner buy back former horse even without a firm plan of next steps for the stallion. I wonder if WinStar was shopping international offers and Rocker O Ranch caught wind or were given first right of refusal.

I hate asking this question because I'm afraid of the answer. Are horses in Korea at high risk now? The US has exported lots of horses to Korea over the last couple of decades, but I'm seeing growing hints that it's a dangerous place for an equine.

I'm just wondering if bad news has been coming out of there for some time and I just haven't seen it. I don't think I've been living under a rock lately, so it really bothers me that I might have missed something like this.

Curious about this as well. I was super upset that Shackleford was sold to Korea.

I thought I heard that Old Friends was interested in bringing stallions back from Korea when their careers were over, but I can't find anything in their newsletters or on the website.
PlanetRock

Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:09 pm

Once racehorses in Korea have come to the end of their “usefulness” they are slaughtered. They are mostly only spared when they can be used for breeding, and even then when they are finished with breeding they are slaughtered. There is a lack of room, and a lack of people willing to take off track thoroughbreds.
Northport

Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:34 pm

A quick google search of Korea Thoroughbred Slaughter will unfortunately lead to many cases and articles about it. I know some are from PETA, but all bias aside their investigation is damning.

Japan has made an effort to rehab their image since the days of Ferdinand, but Korea doesnt seem to be bothered by their reputation, not to mention the dire lack of space to hold any horses that arent actively racing or breeding.
weeeeeeeee