Breeders Cup 2021 @ Del Mar

Katewerk

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:47 pm

Modern Renaissance wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:36 pm

The bar for this game should be a lot higher than "no one or nothing died".
Except that nobody has said that except you. On two posts so far-- (the first instance you deleted through the course of three edits).
Modern Renaissance

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:51 pm

Katewerk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:47 pm
Modern Renaissance wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:36 pm

The bar for this game should be a lot higher than "no one or nothing died".
Except that nobody has said that except you. On two posts so far-- (the first instance you deleted through the course of three edits).
Aw, my husband might be jealous. Careful now :D
peeptoad

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:59 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:43 pm
peeptoad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:34 pm I like Modern Games. Hope he continues on well. He reminds me in appearance slightly of Line of Duty.
Hopefully he has a better fate than Line of Duty.
Totally.
stark

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:07 pm

Andy Serling
@andyserling

I also know Twitter will agree with me that Medina Spirit earned the 3YO Eclipse by beating Essential Quality and Hot Rod Charlie for the place spot. He's such a social media darling.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.
Izvestia

Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:31 pm

stark wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:07 pm Andy Serling
@andyserling

I also know Twitter will agree with me that Medina Spirit earned the 3YO Eclipse by beating Essential Quality and Hot Rod Charlie for the place spot. He's such a social media darling.
Totally disagree.
tachyon

Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:58 am

Tessablue wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:14 pm
tachyon wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:10 pm OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!
I still can't believe.
Congrats!! An absolutely amazing day for Japan :D
Kurenai wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:23 pm Tachyon! Congrats Japan! I knew you would be so happy! :lol:
Thanks you!!!!! :D
I believe that what's happened today at Del Mar will have a huge impact on the Japanese racing going forward.

Yoshito Yahagi, trainer of both Loves Only You and Marche Lorraine, commented after he danced twice,
''Any time, I can die!''

But, no, he can't.
He has to bring his horses to the states again and again!
Squeaky

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:12 am

Trying to get back to horses- the Bloodhorse article today said that KG owners considering the Pegasus as is LIG. Boy that would be a great race. Fingers crossed.
Delamont

Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:50 am

Coverage (with the exception of camera work) gets worse every year. Chattering monkeys who cannot tolerate a single moment of peace and quiet.

And whose good idea was it to interrupt trainers prepping their horses, or stick a 'reporter' practically right into the starting gate?

There were some good races, but the constant yammering made it tough to concentrate. Nevertheless I was thrilled with the double victory of the Japanese horses.
Katewerk

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:20 am

Delamont wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:50 am Coverage (with the exception of camera work) gets worse every year. Chattering monkeys who cannot tolerate a single moment of peace and quiet.

And whose good idea was it to interrupt trainers prepping their horses, or stick a 'reporter' practically right into the starting gate?

There were some good races, but the constant yammering made it tough to concentrate. Nevertheless I was thrilled with the double victory of the Japanese horses.
For the first time I watched the coverage exclusively on my RTN.com account. They carried all the races, (unlike the blackout on Derby day) without the empty celebrity content and wall to wall ads.
Tessablue

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 am

Private Thoughts wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:56 am People are allowed to voice their opinions, when was that a problem? Debate is healthy for society, we can agree to disagree without being ugly.
You do realize that the person you're defending started things off by, uh, attacking someone for posting their opinion, yes?

Anyways, I thought the racing coverage was pretty bad on Friday and okay yesterday. The conversations were largely tiring and I credit that in part to being spoiled by FSN's very horse-focused coverage, but I think it's been worse in the past. I absolutely despise the way they show the races though- the fractions are posted for like half a second and then replaced by that worthless MPH indicator that I can't imagine anybody actually wants or cares about.

Also, found this great bit by @timeformusfigs, might help with analysis:
I'll dive deeper on the pace on these races later, but quick assessment looking at the pace figures:

FM Sprint: moderate
Turf Sprint: moderate
Dirt M: even
FM Turf: strong
Sprint: solid
Mile: even
Distaff: brutal
Turf: way too fast
Classic: moderate
PersonalE

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:51 am

Squeaky wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:12 am Trying to get back to horses- the Bloodhorse article today said that KG owners considering the Pegasus as is LIG. Boy that would be a great race. Fingers crossed.
On Taylor Made website, it states that BC was Knicks Go FINAL race. So…idk If the stud farm & owners haven’t talked , but honesty KG has nothing left to prove. Wouldn’t it hurt his HOY chances if he lost at Pegasus or LIG?

“ Knicks Go wrapped up his 2021 campaign in fantastic style in Saturday’s $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1), going gate-to-wire for a 2 ¾-length victory in the 1 ¼-mile race.

This was the final race for the 5-year-old, who is scheduled to begin stud duty at Taylor Made next year. He went out in spectacular fashion, earning his fifth career Grade 1 win, with seven graded stakes wins overall, and $8,673,135 in earnings.”
Katewerk

Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:57 am

Tessablue wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:42 am
Private Thoughts wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:56 am People are allowed to voice their opinions, when was that a problem? Debate is healthy for society, we can agree to disagree without being ugly.
You do realize that the person you're defending started things off by, uh, attacking someone for posting their opinion, yes?

No. I replied to someone who decided to p!ss all over a superb day of racing with the same monotonous negativity that clings to certain corners of this forum like black mould. Horse racing is clearly a sport that they no longer enjoy. They should move on. That's not an attack, it's an intervention.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:27 am

I'm assuming voters still give Jackie's Warrior the nod for the Sprinter Eclipse? And does Gamine still get the filly Sprinter Eclipse?

Unique Bella was handed the FM Sprinter Eclipse because she won the La Brea, but I also know that was more of a popularity contest in 2017.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
HB1994

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:30 am

Courtesy of Steve Byk on Twitter:

TwilightTear

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:30 am

Squeaky wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:12 am Trying to get back to horses- the Bloodhorse article today said that KG owners considering the Pegasus as is LIG. Boy that would be a great race. Fingers crossed.
Oh, that would be awesome. Fingers crossed here too!
Tessablue

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:32 am

Mylute wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:27 am I'm assuming voters still give Jackie's Warrior the nod for the Sprinter Eclipse? And does Gamine still get the filly Sprinter Eclipse?

Unique Bella was handed the FM Sprinter Eclipse because she won the La Brea, but I also know that was more of a popularity contest in 2017.
I wouldn't be shocked if Ce Ce gets it- she had a good year and won the big one on the square.

Sprint is specifically for dirt horses now, right? Otherwise, I might expect some sentiment for Golden Pal. I adore Jackie's Warrior and would be fine with him getting it, but they did make the choice to face nobody in their final prep and that didn't end up paying off.
Squeaky

Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:58 am

PersonalE wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:51 am
From BH article:

Best of all for fans of the sport, Knicks Go's racing career may not be over.

Both Jun Park, racing manager for the KRA, and Cox said the door is open for Knicks Go to make a return trip to the $3 million Pegasus. We have to see how the horse comes out of the race and we have a breeding deal but there's a chance we may go to the Pegasus. We know he likes the track there," said Park .
Last edited by Squeaky on Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retrospectiv

Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:01 pm

Squeaky wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:58 am
PersonalE wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:51 am
On Taylor Made website, it states that BC was Knicks Go FINAL race. So…idk If the stud farm & owners haven’t talked , but honesty KG has nothing left to prove. Wouldn’t it hurt his HOY chances if he lost at Pegasus or LIG?

“ Knicks Go wrapped up his 2021 campaign in fantastic style in Saturday’s $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic (G1), going gate-to-wire for a 2 ¾-length victory in the 1 ¼-mile race.

This was the final race for the 5-year-old, who is scheduled to begin stud duty at Taylor Made next year. He went out in spectacular fashion, earning his fifth career Grade 1 win, with seven graded stakes wins overall, and $8,673,135 in earnings.”

[/Best of all for fans of the sport, Knicks Go's racing career may not be over.

Both Jun Park, racing manager for the KRA, and Cox said the door is open for Knicks Go to make a return trip to the $3 million Pegasus.
Well, he's off to the farm now.... I guess we'll see if he leaves to go back to the track.
From Taylor Made Twitter:

"Knicks Go earns the fastest beyer speed figure of the
@BreedersCup
and almost breaks Candy Ride’s 18-year track record
@DelMarRacing

Last year he set a NTR
@keenelandracing
in winning the
@BreedersCup
Dirt Mile.

Looking forward to showing him off to breeders later this week!"
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Squeaky

Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:04 pm

I remember horses in the past who did that than went back to training- let’s hope is the case here. https://twitter.com/drfprivman/status/1 ... 21762?s=21
stark

Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:34 pm

Time to turn the page, what's the next debate, Eclipse Awards?

This was a good thread, thanks for participating with 25 pages here and another 5 pages in the Picks and Prayers. Most everybody took their swings and shrugged off their misses with class making it fun for everybody, hopefully a few found the cashiers line.

And then......along comes a poster who thought it necessary to remind us how crooked the game is and how stupid we are for contributing to it. She went on to tell us unnecessary personal stuff about her husband and her wedding, guess what....nobody cares, its the Breeders Cup day for chrissakes.

Maybe we can make a trade and get the "good read" Curtis back in exchange for her, I hope she doesn't let the door hit her on the way out.
I've found it easier to tear up tickets at 8/1 instead of 8/5.