Breeders Cup 2021 @ Del Mar

Katewerk

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:08 pm

And let me add that I was happy to see Medina's Spirit best Essential Bad-Trip Quality again. Hope HRC stays around for another year, all three of them actually.
Modern Renaissance

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:09 pm

peeptoad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:02 pm
Tessablue wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:50 pm Get ready for some 3yo champ Discourse!
Essential Quality, easily.
Modern Renaissance wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:54 pm It's a deeply corrupt sport and there is not much positive to root for. My disengaged year has led me to think that we're all guilt for supporting it.
Can't say I disagree, at least as far as the almighty dollar is concerned. Haven't placed a single wager since the Derby, and I capped out Aloha West, Yibir, and Loves Only You, but can't bring myself to bet anymore.
I put $20 in to bet a horse with a name that is an inside joke for my husband and I. But beyond that it is meh. Hopefully, the integrity act next year will change my feelings about it all. Maybe it is COVID fatigue + the rest? We will see.
barbaro111

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:11 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:48 pm
Modern Renaissance wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:46 pm Have I missed something this year? I have been so busy at work and planning a wedding I haven't had much free time. This horse does not seem liked.

Horsr ran well. Rosario went fast, slowed it down then turned on the burners.

Overall the track seemed to play pretty fair.
He is liked but:

1. people don't like Brad Cox
2. people don't like it when jocks get scared so badly they let a horse go gate to wire every single time

Why don't people like Brad Cox? I really like Knicks Go primarily because he is the son of Paynter who I adore----
I am puzzled why MS didn't get closer to KG early on the race-- I thought MS always went to the front
Katewerk

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:12 pm

Modern Renaissance wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:54 pm
It's a deeply corrupt sport and there is not much positive to root for. My disengaged year has led me to think that we're all guilt for supporting it.
Speak for yourself. If you don''t have anything positive to root for, find another sport. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
katmandu

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Katewerk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:08 pm Essential Bad-Trip Quality again.
I thought I was watching Tacitus there for a minute, or so........................ he did make a good late run.
Last edited by katmandu on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tessablue

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Modern Renaissance wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:09 pm I put $20 in to bet a horse with a name that is an inside joke for my husband and I. But beyond that it is meh. Hopefully, the integrity act next year will change my feelings about it all. Maybe it is COVID fatigue + the rest? We will see.
It's tough for me because I absolutely love the challenge and concentration of handicapping- there's just nothing else like it. But between the corruption and watching riders ride to finish second over and over, my sentiment upon losing has started to shift from "well at least I supported a sport I care about" to "man, I'm a sucker." Can't blame anyone for walking away, especially after what happened yesterday.

HISA is on the horizon, though.
Modern Renaissance

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:14 pm

Katewerk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:12 pm
It's a deeply corrupt sport and there is not much positive to root for. My disengaged year has led me to think that we're all guilt for supporting it.
Speak for yourself. If you don''t have anything positive to root for, find another sport. Nobody's holding a gun to your head.
Wow, such logic, so fierce.

What is the point of a post like this lol. Go find something positive to comment on.
Last edited by Modern Renaissance on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TapitsGal

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:14 pm

Katewerk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:08 pm And let me add that I was happy to see Medina's Spirit best Essential Bad-Trip Quality again. Hope HRC stays around for another year, all three of them actually.
They had announced pre breeders cup essential quality and Maxfield are off to darley Kentucky for 2022
Izvestia

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:19 pm

katmandu wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 pm
Katewerk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:08 pm Essential Bad-Trip Quality again.
I thought I was watching Tacitus there for a minute, or so........................ he did make a good late run.
Yep, kind of didn’t like the ride he was given.
I think he deserves 3-y-o champ - based on his consistency and wins. His record is better. And, also because he wasn’t the focus of bad medicine.
Modern Renaissance

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:20 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 pm
Modern Renaissance wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:09 pm I put $20 in to bet a horse with a name that is an inside joke for my husband and I. But beyond that it is meh. Hopefully, the integrity act next year will change my feelings about it all. Maybe it is COVID fatigue + the rest? We will see.
It's tough for me because I absolutely love the challenge and concentration of handicapping- there's just nothing else like it. But between the corruption and watching riders ride to finish second over and over, my sentiment upon losing has started to shift from "well at least I supported a sport I care about" to "man, I'm a sucker." Can't blame anyone for walking away, especially after what happened yesterday.

The handicapping part is absolutely great. I also feel like the bloodline/history aspect makes it more fun than betting on other sports.

Things ebb and flow, and gambling in general kind of makes fools of us all. I've enjoyed being able to dabble in gambling of other sports now that it's so accessible in NJ. I actually feel like handicapping this sport has given me a good eye elsewhere since we have to aim to be so objective here. Sports future are great.
Katewerk

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:24 pm

Modern Renaissance wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:14 pm

What is the point of a post like this lol. Go find something positive to comment on.
When normal people "can't root" for something, or find it "deeply corrupt" they move on. They don't return to the interwebs time and time again, to waste precious electrons whining about it.

So yes, that's logic. Applied. It was also advice.

That was a great BC weekend. There were no horse ambulances, there were thrillingly close finishes and feel good upsets. Go find a different parade to rain on.
Modern Renaissance

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:26 pm

Katewerk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:24 pm

When normal people "can't root" for something, or find it "deeply corrupt" they move on. They don't return to the interwebs time and time again, to waste precious electrons whining about it.

That was a great BC weekend. There were no horse ambulances, there were thrillingly close finishes and feel good upsets. Go find a different parade to rain on.
Girl. :D
Last edited by Modern Renaissance on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
peeptoad

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:26 pm

Tessablue wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:13 pm

Agree totally with the bolded. It's my favorite aspect of the sport and one that I can continue while not betting. Though corrupt and infuriating as hell at times it's a sport that I still like enough that I think it's worth saving and improving upon (which ultimately just means "slowing its demise "). And imo it's not yet in an irreparable state. Personally, I can't $upport it and truly feel good about it until some real reform has occurred, but next July brings some hope I suppose. And the pre-race analysis is the best part anyway.
Last edited by peeptoad on Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:30 pm

I for one and glad the biggest problem we had this weekend (albeit a big one) was where a bunch of lines got crossed and a horse got scratched but also not-scratched. People lost money but no one got hurt and both Albahr and Modern Games were OK. Nothing can ever be truly perfect.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
barbaro111

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:32 pm

Katewerk wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:24 pm

It was a great day of racing- so enjoyable!!!
peeptoad

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:34 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:30 pm I for one and glad the biggest problem we had this weekend (albeit a big one) was where a bunch of lines got crossed and a horse got scratched but also not-scratched. People lost money but no one got hurt and both Albahr and Modern Games were OK. Nothing can ever be truly perfect.
I like Modern Games. Hope he continues on well. He reminds me in appearance slightly of Line of Duty.
Modern Renaissance

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:36 pm

Mylute wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:30 pm I for one and glad the biggest problem we had this weekend (albeit a big one) was where a bunch of lines got crossed and a horse got scratched but also not-scratched. People lost money but no one got hurt and both Albahr and Modern Games were OK. Nothing can ever be truly perfect.
The bar for this game should be a lot higher than "no one or nothing died".

Yes, the racing was great. Tons of exciting finishes. However. Bettors and owners make the world go round and round round and round. One is not protected.
Tessablue

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:39 pm

peeptoad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:26 pm Agree totally with the bolded. It's my favorite aspect of the sport and one that I can continue while not betting. Though corrupt and infuriating as hell at times it's a sport that I still like enough that I think it's worth saving and improving upon (which ultimately just means "slowing its demise "). And imo it's not yet in an irreparable state. Personally, I can't $upport it and truly feel good about it until some real reform has occurred, but next July brings some hope I suppose. And the pre-race analysis is the best part anyway.
Agreed, and I think it's worth saving. The issues aren't as deeply embedded (or even as terrible, in a broader sense), as they are in the NFL for example. I see change that are positive just as I see aspects that I'm terribly worried about it. Like with all things, improvement is a lurching and uncertain path.

Today was an enjoyable day of racing, and I'm glad every horse was safe. Yesterday's debacle needs to be pressed on, however, because it was emblematic of one of this sport's deepest (and least-addressed issues): protecting the bettor. It needs to inspire changes, but the near-total lack of contrition from everyone involved has me worried that won't happen.
Squeaky

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:39 pm

Is KG retired now or could he meet LIG in the Pegasus for one last race?
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:43 pm

I must ask...by "white supremacists" do you mean actual, legitimate skinheads or just simply "anyone who doesn't vote 'woke' " (which is the case about 98% of the time in the current social landscape)? My experiences thus far have made me a cynic and thus unfortunately imply the latter. Curious ;) .
peeptoad wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:34 pm I like Modern Games. Hope he continues on well. He reminds me in appearance slightly of Line of Duty.
Modern Games didn't break out of the gate and run but nonetheless I was surprised when he actually went on to win. I was thinking he might not perform as well due to the "shock" (for lack of a better word). Hopefully he has a better fate than Line of Duty.
Is KG retired now or could he meet LIG in the Pegasus for one last race?
I don't think any of the articles referencing the impending stud careers of EQ and KG mentioned the Pegasus.

Anyone else remember after KG won the Breeders Futurity, everyone said he was a fluke, then he finished second in the Juvenile? Good times. Also this was pre-Cox barn.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧