horses with unique coloring/facial markings

Falinadin

Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:09 pm

This flashy filly is hip 271 of the July Sale. Munnings X Saintly Spirit. I haven't been able to find a conformation photo of her yet, so this is from her walking video.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:47 pm

North County Guy (The Pamplemousse) is a very unique-looking gray.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... min-stakes
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:10 am

Hip 62 in the upcoming Fasig Tipton Saratoga Sale. He is a grey but at one of those fun stages of color change.
yearling colt by Quality Road - Chica Boom Chic, by Tapit
Cisco

Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:12 pm

Offered at the next Arqana yearling sale in Deauville :

Hip 82 : filly by Le Havre & Qatari Perfection

https://www.arqana.com/lots/vente_de_ye ... /278/86349

Hip 282 : filly by Intello & Soccer Mom (Monsun)

https://www.arqana.com/lots/vente_de_ye ... /278/86549

Hip 280 : filly by The Grey Gatsby & Skysweeper (Hurricane Run) :

https://www.arqana.com/lots/vente_de_ye ... /278/86547

Hip 350 : filly by Mastercraftsman & Deauville Shower :

https://www.arqana.com/lots/vente_de_ye ... /278/86617
Flanders

Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:54 pm

So this is a Facebook video, don't know if its available elsewhere. America's Best Racing has a Youtube channel but the video is not on there. Megson Farms in Kentucky has the largest band of white thoroughbreds in the world.

https://www.facebook.com/AmericasBestRa ... 2886182632

Megson Farms has some older youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOqhTRhPvg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6mzLKun7eM
HB1994

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:46 pm

Sea The Stars - Bebe D’Amour colt sold at Arqana for €370K

Missbeholder

Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:07 pm

There's a pony working Saratoga now that has a color type that I don't remember seeing before and I'm curious. Sorry I don't have a picture or video.

He looks, at first glance, to be a light grey roan type, but with a little focus, he's got a lot of fine reddish hairs.....more like a red roan. Then ,over his hindquarters, his coat turns gradually white, very much like an appaloosa but with no spots.

IS this horse an Appaloosa? I had pretty much decided that, but every time I see this boy (or girl), I get more puzzled. I don't think I've ever seen an Appaloosa that looks like that before. Is there a genetic name for a color like this?

Obviously, I'm hoping some of you here know what horse I'm talking about. Wish I had a picture.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:13 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:07 pm There's a pony working Saratoga now that has a color type that I don't remember seeing before and I'm curious. Sorry I don't have a picture or video.

He looks, at first glance, to be a light grey roan type, but with a little focus, he's got a lot of fine reddish hairs.....more like a red roan. Then ,over his hindquarters, his coat turns gradually white, very much like an appaloosa but with no spots.

IS this horse an Appaloosa? I had pretty much decided that, but every time I see this boy (or girl), I get more puzzled. I don't think I've ever seen an Appaloosa that looks like that before. Is there a genetic name for a color like this?

Obviously, I'm hoping some of you here know what horse I'm talking about. Wish I had a picture.
I think I know what horse you're talking about. I saw a POA with similar coloring at a show recently. I *think* its considered varnish roan.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Delamont

Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:37 pm

Missbeholder wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:07 pm There's a pony working Saratoga now that has a color type that I don't remember seeing before and I'm curious. Sorry I don't have a picture or video.

The one with a skimpy black tail? (Or maybe his tail was tied/braided today).
Willowood

Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:12 pm

I think that would be a varnished Appaloosa? No real spots but has striped hoofs etc
Delamont

Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:25 pm

HB1994 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:46 pm Sea The Stars - Bebe D’Amour colt sold at Arqana for €370K

Very pretty. And giving out with a 'Yeah? You were saying?' look.
Mylute

Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:49 pm

Sapphire Sioux (De Gaulle x Rubyone, by Testa Rossa) was posted to the 2018 Foals thread. she has two blue eyes. She is 3 this year and according to this 2020 blog post she should race this year.
https://quillypark.com.au/de-gaulle-great-start-2/
Gemini

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:06 am

Delamont wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:37 pm

I think I've seen him too...and he really does have a skimpy tail. I hope his people give him plenty of fly spray because he has nothing to work with, haha.
Delamont

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:56 pm

Gemini wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:06 am
Delamont wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:37 pm

I think I've seen him too...and he really does have a skimpy tail. I hope his people give him plenty of fly spray because he has nothing to work with, haha.
Saw him again today. That's a rat's tail, but he's quite active with it.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:13 pm

Yeah, that Appy has less tail than a Manx cat. :(
Humans have caused certain animals a lot of harm by breeding for features that are actually unhealthy for the animal (think toy breeds that HAVE to have C-sections to whelp, brachycephalic cats & dogs who can't breath well), and Appaloosas that are bred for skimpy tails is one. That rat-tailed pony is likely desperate to chase off biting flies, but his poor tail is useless. :evil:
Missbeholder

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:22 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:13 pm Yeah, that Appy has less tail than a Manx cat. :(
Humans have caused certain animals a lot of harm by breeding for features that are actually unhealthy for the animal (think toy breeds that HAVE to have C-sections to whelp, brachycephalic cats & dogs who can't breath well), and Appaloosas that are bred for skimpy tails is one. That rat-tailed pony is likely desperate to chase off biting flies, but his poor tail is useless. :evil:
Yes, I should have included the skimpy tail when trying to describe the horse initially. I was just so focused on what, for me, was a very unusual color and wondering if it was Appaloosa. That should have given me an answer before I asked it, as "tail deficiencies" are a feature of Appaloosas.

Didn't Baffert devise, or have someone devise for him, a tail extension for American Pharoah when he was a youngster! I seem to recall that as a 2yo, his tail only reached about halfway between his dock and his hocks.
BaroqueAgain1

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:50 pm

I know that AP had been the victim of a fellow yearling chowing down on his tail, but I don't remember seeing him with extensions - just watched it grow out gradually over the months.
The fans of Walter Farley's Black Stallion series of books may remember that Alex helped soften Black Minx's bad attitude when he wove a tail extension for the filly out of hairs pulled from a half-dozen other horses. That gave the hot-tempered girl, who had had most of her tail cut off (IIRC) by someone slamming a stall door on it, a multi-colored tail with black, brown, red and grey hairs that she could finally use to chase flies. ;)
Delamont

Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:12 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:50 pm I know that AP had been the victim of a fellow yearling chowing down on his tail, but I don't remember seeing him with extensions - just watched it grow out gradually over the months.
The fans of Walter Farley's Black Stallion series of books may remember that Alex helped soften Black Minx's bad attitude when he wove a tail extension for the filly out of hairs pulled from a half-dozen other horses. That gave the hot-tempered girl, who had had most of her tail cut off (IIRC) by someone slamming a stall door on it, a multi-colored tail with black, brown, red and grey hairs that she could finally use to chase flies. ;)
I remember that, too. Oddly enough I just saw a vintage What's My Line featuring a lady who made false tails for horses.
Retrospectiv

Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:05 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:13 pm Yeah, that Appy has less tail than a Manx cat. :(
No one bred appaloosas to have skimpy tails. It's purely part of the gene that causes 'appaloosa' characteristics (LP, leopard complex).
Quite to the contrary, people have been trying to breed that out for decades to have horses with fuller manes and tails, but sometimes the LP still wins out and you'll get one with a skimpy mane or tail. And this comes up in other breeds that carry LP as well again showing that this wasn't 'bred for' in Appaloosas.
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Missbeholder

Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:54 pm

I sort of bumped into a video of American Pharoah that makes me question what I thought I saw. It was a video of AP in the ring at the Saratoga Yearling Sale 2013. He hammered that day for $300K, but must have RNA'd because I know Zayat never actually sold him. Anyway, beside the point.

He was there in that ring as a yearling with a pretty normal looking tail! It wasn't especially long by any stretch, but it did reach to just below his hocks. I could have sworn that when I saw him in the winner's circle after the Frontrunner (now renamed for him), he had this stumpy little tail that didn't reach his hocks! Did the youngster that attacked his tail with his chompers get to him after the yearling sale but before he went to Bob for training? I'm a little confused now. Did I not see what I thought I saw?

I know it matters not at this point. I just want to know if my eyes deceived me. 🤔