Stallion News

Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:52 pm

All three of Iron Fist's starters have been winners.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:04 am

Tapit has been tremendously successful siring really good racehorses but, IMHO, he may be exceeding even the best hopes of his connections by fathering a whole bunch of good sire sons. 8-)
Galileo and Tapit have been breed-shaping sires for years now. I'm curious: How well do Tapit daughters cross with Galileo or vice versa?
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:06 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:04 am Tapit has been tremendously successful siring really good racehorses but, IMHO, he may be exceeding even the best hopes of his connections by fathering a whole bunch of good sire sons. 8-)
Galileo and Tapit have been breed-shaping sires for years now. I'm curious: How well do Tapit daughters cross with Galileo or vice versa?
There was one a few years ago who looked good - Reach the World. Tapit out of a Galileo daughter.

He broke down while training at Santa Anita. Don Alberto/Baffert connections IIRC.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Northport

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:08 am

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:04 am Tapit has been tremendously successful siring really good racehorses but, IMHO, he may be exceeding even the best hopes of his connections by fathering a whole bunch of good sire sons. 8-)
Coolmore bred and raced Chrisophermarlowe (2012 Tapit X Dress Rehearsal, by Galileo) a couple years back with John Gosden. He won the Derby Trial at Epsom then was 2nd in the Lingfield Derby Trial. After a 505 day break he reappeared in Hong Kong, gelded, and renamed Cloud Nine. He clearly had some talent in England, but not enough to keep his place in the Coolmore juggernaut.

Other than that, I can't recall another black type Tapit X Galileo cross. Looking at a Truenicks cross of Tapit X mares by sons of Sadler's Wells, most of the best progeny are out of El Prado daughters.... and Christophermarlowe is indeed the only SP horse out of a Galileo mares.
weeeeeeeee
HB1994

Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:14 am

Speaking of Tapit, Raving Post has a nice article on him today:

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... cow/494406
Flanders

Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:19 pm

Tapit over Galileo mares - 13 foals of racing age, 10 starters, 5 winners, 0 stakes winner

Galileo over Tapit mares - no foals of racing age bred on cross
Flanders

Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:49 pm

https://theownerbreeder.com/features/wh ... rst-foals/

Initial thoughts of breeders/owners on some of the British/Irish based stallions who had their first foals born in 2021. Interesting to read they think, as of the time the article was written, 3 of the stallions are homozygous bay and the owners are excited about it. I didn't know that breeders were looking for that or that they think it has some impact on their stallion career? At least that is how I took what was written since they mention Kingman also being a true breeding bay.
Starine

Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:01 pm

Flanders wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:19 pm
Tapit over Galileo mares - 13 foals of racing age, 10 starters, 5 winners, 0 stakes winner

Thanks for the stats. Interesting.
BaroqueAgain1

Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info. 8-)
KatieD

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:42 am

Flanders wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:49 pm … Interesting to read they think, as of the time the article was written, 3 of the stallions are homozygous bay and the owners are excited about it. I didn't know that breeders were looking for that or that they think it has some impact on their stallion career? At least that is how I took what was written since they mention Kingman also being a true breeding bay.
I think that, in some quarters here in the UK, there is still some lingering prejudice against chestnuts (there certainly is against white feet and legs, and chestnuts tend to be more highly marked).
It amuses me greatly, because Eclipse, Man o’War and Secretariat (to name a fairly significant handful) were ok. ;) I suspect it’s a factor for anyone breeding for the sales where every tiny advantage counts.

There also seems to be a presumption that true colour breeding horses stamp their stock more but how accurate this is, I have no idea.
Flanders

Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:03 am

KatieD wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:42 am
Flanders wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:49 pm … Interesting to read they think, as of the time the article was written, 3 of the stallions are homozygous bay and the owners are excited about it. I didn't know that breeders were looking for that or that they think it has some impact on their stallion career? At least that is how I took what was written since they mention Kingman also being a true breeding bay.
I think that, in some quarters here in the UK, there is still some lingering prejudice against chestnuts (there certainly is against white feet and legs, and chestnuts tend to be more highly marked).
It amuses me greatly, because Eclipse, Man o’War and Secretariat (to name a fairly significant handful) were ok. ;) I suspect it’s a factor for anyone breeding for the sales where every tiny advantage counts.

There also seems to be a presumption that true colour breeding horses stamp their stock more but how accurate this is, I have no idea.
I mean I suppose there are stallions that support both sides of thinking, which to me means its random. :)
Slinky_Malinky

Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:26 am

Northport wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:08 am Other than that, I can't recall another black type Tapit X Galileo cross. Looking at a Truenicks cross of Tapit X mares by sons of Sadler's Wells, most of the best progeny are out of El Prado daughters.... and Christophermarlowe is indeed the only SP horse out of a Galileo mares.
El Prado is atypical among Sadler's Wells because he throws to his mare line -- specifically the combination of 3/4 siblings Menow and Athenia (2nd dam of Sir Ivor). Most of his best offspring had duplications to those horses or to genetic siblings of those horses, like Shimmer, dam of Nantallah (whose 2nd dam Broad Ripple is a genetic sibling to Alcibiades).

Tapit has 2 lines to Nijinsky (Menow), Buckpasser through Unbridled and Weekend Surprise, and Sir Gaylord through Lassie Dear. Everything El Prado's mare line likes.
starrydreamer

Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 pm

Interesting. The successful Galileo mares are too busy going to Danehill line stallions and War Front, plus now Justify and American Pharoah.
Slinky_Malinky

Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:19 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 pm

Interesting. The successful Galileo mares are too busy going to Danehill line stallions and War Front, plus now Justify and American Pharoah.
They sent a lot to Deep Impact while he was still alive, and now they have Wooten Bassett on the roster.

Of their young stallions in Ireland, only Arizona, Calyx, No Nay Never, and Sioux Nation have pedigrees free of both Danehill and Galileo, and three of them are sons of Scat Daddy.
Flanders

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:21 pm

starrydreamer wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 pm

This really isn't directed at you, just in general for anyone who was interested in the Tapit over Galileo mares. If you go look at Tapit's progeny on pedigreequery and sort by broodmare sires, and find where the Galileo mares start. All the foals from the cross are on there, I added the last one missing, though it might take a bit for her to show up, either way she is a full sister to the horribly named Tapaloof.

Edit to add: I tried to direct link to the pedigreequery progeny sorted by broodmare sire and it didn't work so I edited my message.
flytpthestars

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:15 am

Stormy Atlantic pensioned and sent to Bridlewood in Florida
Northport

Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:05 am

Sounds like Goldencents is in rough shape

From David Crisp @SouthernLegacy on Twitter
Prayers up for Goldencents. A longtime heart favorite.
Currently hospitalized tonight with serious respiratory issues.
Stay strong Goldie. Lots of us in your corner.
weeeeeeeee
Izvestia

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:20 am

flytpthestars wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:15 am Stormy Atlantic pensioned and sent to Bridlewood in Florida
He produced some good ones. Totally underrated horse. Happy retirement to him!
Equipoise

Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:08 pm

KatieD wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:42 am I think that, in some quarters here in the UK, there is still some lingering prejudice against chestnuts (there certainly is against white feet and legs, and chestnuts tend to be more highly marked).
It’s always amazed me that as inbred to the sabino Northern Dancer as most British and Irish horses are, they are almost always dark or blood bays with very minimal markings. That’s quite a feat.
Mylute

Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:04 pm

what's the "logic" behind the prejudice against chestnut? I know why white markings are/were considered bad.