Stallion News

djnorth

Thu May 27, 2021 1:58 pm

Sad to hear about Laoban. I think that there should be discussions about what is and is not acceptable for a high-level working horse or athlete. B-vitamin injections shouldn't be considered in the same class as anabolic steroids or pain-blocking local injections.

RE: the polo ponies' deaths. I used that case and the You Tube video (not sure if it's still there) as a cautionary tale when I taught vet tech students. The selenium was 10 or 100X the dose due to a decimal point being in the wrong place. Not sure if it was a transcribing, reading or math error. I used it to scare those who thought you didn't need math (in all its forms) to do medicine or nursing.
Falinadin

Thu May 27, 2021 6:57 pm

Shame about Laoban.

B12 is absorbed in the gut and can become lowered if there are any GI issues present (diarrhea, etc), and having low B12 could cause some appetite loss. Typically if it's injected it'll be IM (and/or SQ in small animals). I have used B1 (thiamine) iv for polio in goats and sheep, but it must be used sparingly because it can cause anaphylaxis. I'm going to guess that there was a mix-up, or maybe he had some issues and had such low B12 that they saw fit to try iv and inadvertently gave it arterially (which I saw happen with sedation once.... that was rough). Accidents happen, sadly.
TapitsGal

Fri May 28, 2021 12:49 am

djnorth wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:58 pm Sad to hear about Laoban. I think that there should be discussions about what is and is not acceptable for a high-level working horse or athlete. B-vitamin injections shouldn't be considered in the same class as anabolic steroids or pain-blocking local injections.

RE: the polo ponies' deaths. I used that case and the You Tube video (not sure if it's still there) as a cautionary tale when I taught vet tech students. The selenium was 10 or 100X the dose due to a decimal point being in the wrong place. Not sure if it was a transcribing, reading or math error. I used it to scare those who thought you didn't need math (in all its forms) to do medicine or nursing.
The biggest reason I chose to major in animal behavior and training in college over vet tech was because I knew I have dyscalculia(math disability) and that id had to take some of the same core classes as the vet tech students including veterinary pharmacology and learning how to calculate medication dosages for the various animals. With my math disability being as severe as it is, I just wasn't able to master the formulas needed for medication dosage calculations and I also didn't want to even get anywhere near having to figure out anesthesia dosages for animals and monitoring them during that...I just didn't want that stress and responsibility
Ziggypop

Fri May 28, 2021 12:45 pm

djnorth wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:58 pm Sad to hear about Laoban. I think that there should be discussions about what is and is not acceptable for a high-level working horse or athlete. B-vitamin injections shouldn't be considered in the same class as anabolic steroids or pain-blocking local injections.

A dear friend was one of the folks that were helping to unload those horses when they started to drop in horrible agony. He still tears up just thinking about it. There was absolutely nothing anyone could do but watch watch them die.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Fri May 28, 2021 1:28 pm

Is there an official name for what happened with the ponies? I'd like to know what to search to find videos.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
BaroqueAgain1

Fri May 28, 2021 2:13 pm

It was selenium poisoning; try searching for 'selenium-poisoned polo ponies?'
Last edited by BaroqueAgain1 on Sat May 29, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MySaladDays

Sat May 29, 2021 7:07 pm

TapitsGal wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:42 pm had several anaphylactic reactions myself including one that put me in icu on a ventilator for three and a half weeks and resulted in me getting a temporary tracheostomy from November 2020 to January 2021... Anaphylaxis is a horrific,scary thing to experience and I wouldn't wish it on anyone
That is such a scary story.....you are so lucky to be alive!

Corridor: I received Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick (which itself was a bad enough illness that CAN kill you but thankfully my PCP recoginized the clincal signs and started me on doxy before the actual tests came back, otherwise I may not be here to tell this story. ) Unfortunately that tick gave me Alpha Gal (it was in the saliva) so now I cannot injest anything mammalian, have to wear a bracelet and have epi pen as even some medicines and surgical components have mammalian ingredients. . I beg people to take ticks very seriously, esp. if they live around woods, dogs, horses, or are even raking leaves in the yard. .....some people w/alpha gal have anaphalaxis just from having something cooked on same griill as beef, lamb or pork. I have never had anaphalaxis but I get very ill enough that I have to get to an ER. It's amazing how many nurses and doctors I meet who don't even know what Alpha Gal is, which is even more scary.
Northport wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:13 am They aren't just lawn ornaments, they are working animals that require supplements, medication, massages, acupuncture, chiropractic work, etc. in order to stay happy and healthy and do their jobs.
Goes w/out saying. High level athletes require above and beyond. But seems like it would be safer to make more stuff injestible rather than so many injectables all the time? I know injectibles are speedy but usually that seems like something you would do more to an ailing animal.
BaroqueAgain1

Sat May 29, 2021 7:53 pm

But how easy is it to get a horse to swallow something if it is uncooperative? I have enough trouble getting a pill into a 9-pound cat. ;)
HB1994

Sat May 29, 2021 9:51 pm

PlanetRock

Sat May 29, 2021 9:54 pm

BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:53 pm But how easy is it to get a horse to swallow something if it is uncooperative? I have enough trouble getting a pill into a 9-pound cat. ;)
It’s much easier with a horse than with a cat lol. With an oral syringe it’s pretty easy to shoot it into the back of their mouth. I usually mix whatever it is with a bit of molasses.
PersonalE

Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Question :
Will there still be demand for Protonico since Medina Spirit’s split sample is positive +/- he’ll be DQ’d from the Derby?

Just asking bc it did seem that Protonico got more mares after MS’s win, but if it’s not ‘legit’ does it still have the same meaning for a stud.
BaroqueAgain1

Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:41 pm

I'm under the impression that the amount of the med in Medina's system would not have been a performance enhancer. Breeders could still have confidence that the horse has the ability to win a Derby, so should still be as interested in his sire as they were before.
Northport

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:04 pm

PlanetRock wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:54 pm
BaroqueAgain1 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 7:53 pm But how easy is it to get a horse to swallow something if it is uncooperative? I have enough trouble getting a pill into a 9-pound cat. ;)
It’s much easier with a horse than with a cat lol. With an oral syringe it’s pretty easy to shoot it into the back of their mouth. I usually mix whatever it is with a bit of molasses.
Meh, not always. we have more than one horse that will hold any even slightly viscous liquid on their tongues until we leave them alone, then spit it out. Every time they spit out 90% of their $35 daily dose of Gastroguard, I shed a single year. Though you can't inject any equivalent to that.

No amount of treats or throat massaging can get them to swallow meds. A lot of the times a jab is the quickest and most effective way to get 100% of the medication or treatment into them.
weeeeeeeee
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:15 pm

I job shadowed a vet when I was a senior in HS and while there I watched them shove a flexible tube with a cone attachment (like one of those beer things) up a horse's nostril and down their throat to give it medication. I'm not sure what it was for.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
HB1994

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:27 pm

Wanna feel old? Frankel had his first winner as a grandsire today.

https://www.racingpost.com/bloodstock/b ... kel/493060
PlanetRock

Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Northport wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:04 pm
PlanetRock wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:54 pm
Meh, not always. we have more than one horse that will hold any even slightly viscous liquid on their tongues until we leave them alone, then spit it out. Every time they spit out 90% of their $35 daily dose of Gastroguard, I shed a single year. Though you can't inject any equivalent to that.

No amount of treats or throat massaging can get them to swallow meds. A lot of the times a jab is the quickest and most effective way to get 100% of the medication or treatment into them.
The trick is to keep their head raised while also sticking a finger in the side of their mouth, that usually gets them to eventually swallow.
HB1994

Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:46 am

Highland Reel and Churchill both had their first winners today.
tachyon

Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:45 am

--- from uma-furusato.com news
https://uma-furusato.com/news/entry-58113.html

Big Red Farm stallion Agnes Digital(USA)(Crafty Prospector) has been retired from stud duty.
He will be pensioned at Tokachi Thoroughbred Association.

and I've come across this video clip 8-) :lol:
''Agnes Digital in All Seasons''
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibL-AMqaEZk

https://www.jbis.jp/horse/0000321138/
Equipoise

Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:19 pm

tachyon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:45 am --- from uma-furusato.com news

Big Red Farm stallion Agnes Digital(USA)(Crafty Prospector) has been retired from stud duty.

That’s a nice video, thank you! Agnes Digital is very refined-looking for a Crafty Prospector, who was known for his coarse appearance.
Missbeholder

Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:50 pm

tachyon wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:45 am --- from uma-furusato.com news

Tachyon, can I ask a really dumb question? I'm completely ignorant on Japanese racing and have never followed it any more than being aware of a major star when he or she comes along. No offense intended. That's just where I've always been.

My question for a long time has been, where do all these "AGNES" names come from? In Euro/American countries, "Agnes" is an old fashioned and somewhat laughed at women's name (see Agnes Gooch). Does it have some other meaning or context over there where you are?

I really don't mean to offend. I'm just legitimately curious. Thanks!