Stallion News

PersonalE

Sat May 01, 2021 11:36 pm

Congrats to the connections of Medina Spirit!
What are the group’s thoughts on how much Protonico’s stud fee will increase?

I honestly did not know who this stallion was or where he stood before MS. Looks like he bred only 35ish mares last season. Currently standing for $5k
Diver52

Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 am

i think they should be conservative with Protonico--not aware of his other progeny--but this isn't going to vault him into Tapit country.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
CorridorZ75

Sun May 02, 2021 2:15 am

Diver52 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 am i think they should be conservative with Protonico--not aware of his other progeny--but this isn't going to vault him into Tapit country.
I agree, Baffert has been known to have the only decent progeny of several stallions. And Bodemeister says hi from Turkey.
Flanders

Sun May 02, 2021 8:52 am

Diver52 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:14 am i think they should be conservative with Protonico--not aware of his other progeny--but this isn't going to vault him into Tapit country.
He doesn't really have many others. His first crop is 3. He has 18 current 3yos, 10 of which have started. He does have 31 two-yearolds, none have started. His numbers dropped off even more after that. He covered less than 20 mares last year.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 am

Protonico has been shuttling down South but I don't remember where or when, so assuming his first two year olds in South America will start this fall it will be interesting to see.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Retrospectiv

Sun May 02, 2021 10:16 am

Can't see his fee increasing any.
He's been a relatively unwanted stallion up til now. I don't know too many who have stood at 3 different farms, their first three years at stud (Taylor Made, Darby Dan, Castleton Lyons..)
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Flanders

Sun May 02, 2021 10:26 am

Mylute wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 am Protonico has been shuttling down South but I don't remember where or when, so assuming his first two year olds in South America will start this fall it will be interesting to see.
He is owned by Haras Sumaya but idk if that is where he was shuttling but its possible.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Sun May 02, 2021 11:05 am

Padrillosenlinea does not list him, but I swear I have seem him on pop up advertisements when looking at South American websites.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Flanders

Sun May 02, 2021 11:54 am

Mylute wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:05 am Padrillosenlinea does not list him, but I swear I have seem him on pop up advertisements when looking at South American websites.
He hasn't shuttled. I wasn't awake earlier but just checked the Jockey Club's webpage. I would bet he is being advertised because of who his owner is.
Gemini

Sun May 02, 2021 11:30 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:39 pm
Flanders wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:04 pm Yes because he was disappointing as a sire. Disappointing doesn't mean bad.

No one has ever said he wasn't a phenomenal broodmare sire, especially of breed shaping and very good stallions. A.P. Indy, Gone West, Storm Cat are line founding stallions out of Secretariat mares, then he had Chief's Crown, Summer Squall, Dehere, + more that I probably am not thinking of.
The definition of disappointing is "failing to fulfill someone's hopes or expectations." In other words, the expectations for Secretariat at stud were astronomically high. In point of fact, however, he was a very good sire. He was leading sire of 2-year-olds and leading broodmare sire. He sired multiple champions in several countries, including Horse of the Year and Hall of Famer, Lady's Secret. And yes, his broodmares were phenomenal. The "disappointing" part is that he didn't sire a son to carry on his male line. So what. That is a conceit of humans. What he gave us through his daughters is beyond priceless. What he gave us as a true legend is exceedingly rare.

As for me, there is no way, shape or form that I could ever be disappointed in Secretariat. He was the greatest racehorse that I have ever seen or ever will see. I saw him race several times and was in the stands the day he won his Belmont Stakes. It will forever be one of the highlights of my life. Great doesn't do him justice. As a racehorse, he more that fulfilled "someone's hopes and expectations." He was something far beyond and above mere sire stats. He was like a fairy tale come to life. For a brief, breathtaking moment there was this red-gold comet that blazed through the lives of those privileged to have seen him. Charles Hatton, the late, great columnist for the Daily Racing Form (who saw Man o' War race) wrote of Secretariat, “His only point of reference is himself.”

Isn't a horse like Secretariat precisely what every Thoroughbred breeder dreams of producing? So when one such as him comes along, how can anyone be disappointed?
You said exactly what I was thinking. Generally the definition of a "successful sire" has always meant something pretty narrow,-- "producing G1 winning MALE offspring".
Diver52

Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 am

Retrospectiv wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:16 am Can't see his fee increasing any.
He's been a relatively unwanted stallion up til now. I don't know too many who have stood at 3 different farms, their first three years at stud (Taylor Made, Darby Dan, Castleton Lyons..)
I do think a Derby winner will lead to some interest. His pedigree is classic and he was a decent runner (earned nearly $1MM. ) He just had nothing to make him stand out among similar. Now, he does.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Katewerk

Mon May 03, 2021 9:06 am

Diver52 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:47 am
Retrospectiv wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:16 am Can't see his fee increasing any.
I do think a Derby winner will lead to some interest. His pedigree is classic and he was a decent runner (earned nearly $1MM. ) He just had nothing to make him stand out among similar. Now, he does.
If his conformation shots are anything to go by, he's a beautiful horse of classic TB type -- up on leg, balanced throughout, and lovely shoulder. That won't hurt, now that there's a reason for breeders to look at him.
Mylute

Mon May 03, 2021 9:25 am

Protonico, at least from what I'm seeing, hasn't even had 20 starters yet from a relatively small first foal crop of about 50.

Protonico made two starts at 2 - his debut, which he won, then placed far back in the Nashua. He then won two G3s as a 3 year old, placed in a G1, and an ungraded stakes.

Based on this it is reasonable to assume his progeny probably won't begin to pop off until they're 3, though we of course have a very small sample size to look at. Proton's old racing buddy Chrome is similar in this regard, though Chrome was a bit more precocious as a juvenile.

The most he's stood for is $6500. If they do increase his fee, it will probably be just to that again. I think either that or keeping it $5K is the wisest thing to do for him regardless of what MS and his other kids do the rest of the year. This would allow smaller breeders (the origin of Medina Spirit) to still be able to take advantage of him, and the cheaper price might encourage bigger breeders to take a bite with their pocket money. Castleton Lyons is not at all a commercial stallion operation so it will be interesting to see what they do.
Mylute

Mon May 03, 2021 9:43 am

Also, a G2 winner for the late value sire Jump Start as Vault takes the Ruffian.
Mylute

Mon May 03, 2021 10:33 pm

Icy Storm first winner for Keen Ice.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... r-keen-ice
Ridan_Remembered

Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 pm

California Chrome is enjoying remarkable success with his first crop born in Chile. They are 2-year-olds now. To date, 6 have run with 4 winners, a second and a third. They have won on both dirt and turf, in very big fields, and are dominating the 2-year-old races so far for Haras Sumaya. The exciting thing for Japanese breeders is that Chrome has sired winners on turf in both North and South America. Their belief in his ability to sire turf runners is the main reason they exported him to Japan.
CorridorZ75

Thu May 06, 2021 4:07 pm

Ridan_Remembered wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 pm California Chrome is enjoying remarkable success with his first crop born in Chile. They are 2-year-olds now. To date, 6 have run with 4 winners, a second and a third. They have won on both dirt and turf, in very big fields, and are dominating the 2-year-old races so far for Haras Sumaya. The exciting thing for Japanese breeders is that Chrome has sired winners on turf in both North and South America. Their belief in his ability to sire turf runners is the main reason they exported him to Japan.
According to El Turf, he has had 14 runners with 4 winners and 4 others that are placed. I think he has only had one runner, Incredible, compete in a stakes race, and he finished far back. He will have two more debuting this weekend, Incredible is running back in an allowance, and another previous runner will be going in his second race. So I wouldn't say dominating, but they are proving useful, and hopefully, we will see if ones like Hotel California and Cereza Dorada can translate their impressive wins over maidens to stakes competition. I am also interested to seeing if they will stretch out as most of the races I have seen have been 5 and 6 furlongs. In the race Cereza Dorada won, there was a third CC two year old, Cartera Vieja, who finished mid pack and definitely looked like she would prefer longer than a sprint.
PersonalE

Thu May 06, 2021 5:56 pm

Tiz the Law shuttling to Chile
Sounds like Coolmore
Ridan_Remembered

Thu May 06, 2021 8:08 pm

CorridorZ75 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:07 pm
Ridan_Remembered wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 pm California Chrome is enjoying remarkable success with his first crop born in Chile. They are 2-year-olds now. To date, 6 have run with 4 winners, a second and a third. They have won on both dirt and turf, in very big fields, and are dominating the 2-year-old races so far for Haras Sumaya. The exciting thing for Japanese breeders is that Chrome has sired winners on turf in both North and South America. Their belief in his ability to sire turf runners is the main reason they exported him to Japan.
According to El Turf, he has had 14 runners with 4 winners and 4 others that are placed. I think he has only had one runner, Incredible, compete in a stakes race, and he finished far back. He will have two more debuting this weekend, Incredible is running back in an allowance, and another previous runner will be going in his second race. So I wouldn't say dominating, but they are proving useful, and hopefully, we will see if ones like Hotel California and Cereza Dorada can translate their impressive wins over maidens to stakes competition. I am also interested to seeing if they will stretch out as most of the races I have seen have been 5 and 6 furlongs. In the race Cereza Dorada won, there was a third CC two year old, Cartera Vieja, who finished mid pack and definitely looked like she would prefer longer than a sprint.
Thank you for the update from a news source. I get my info from people who post on Facebook. Last I heard of Incredible, he only won his debut by a lot of lengths. Did not know he ran again.
TapitsGal

Fri May 07, 2021 10:51 am

Tiz the Law is shuttling to Chile for the southern hemisphere season