Stallion News

Diver52

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:18 pm

Flanders, I'm not that person who shames a dog owner because they put the dog down rather than spend $10,000 on surgery; I think giving an animal a good life is enough and the owner doesn't necessarily have to give it the longest life possible. Otherwise hardly anybody would qualify to have a pet! But if you have to sell your horse to slaughter to feed your family then maybe you shouldn't have acquired the horse. I do believe that when you take responsibility for an animal, you owe it the kindness of a peaceful, pain-free death if there is no other option. Not the kill pen.
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
Katewerk

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:24 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:44 pm
Mylute wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:49 pm I know. It's just that as years progress there are less and less excuses for this other than carelessness and greed (making one last buck from selling to slaughter). In a perfect world no horse would be slaughtered, but for now it is especially tragic when a stallion, broodmare, or stakes horse gets tossed to the wayside.

And I also know that good hearted people can be taken advantage of. The horse rescue in my area recently posted to FB that they received a tip about someone going around with a trailer offering to take unwanted horses.
But who do you think is to blame? The original farm in Kentucky where he stood for 5 years, the farm in Michigan where he stood for 7 years, the farm in Ohio where he stood for a year, the farm in Iowa where he stood for 2-3 years, the next owner who owned him for less than a year, the next owner, who knows how many owners after the Texas guy?

The sad truth is, there aren't enough homes for all the horses out there and most people aren't willing to take on a stallion. Sure someone along the way could have said, "hey we can find him a home, because of who he is. Maybe Old Friends would take him or help find him a spot." But that is assuming they know who he is, what he did and that they actually cared.

There are so many stories of people finding horses good homes and then something happens and they rehome to what they think is a good home, blah blah blah. Then the horse somehow ends up in a kill pen. I mean Adena had(maybe still has) an excellent retraining, rehoming program, doing everything right, checking the prospective new owners, etc. It didn't stop one of their horses from being slaughtered. Or that "rescue" who just took people's money and killed the horses anyway. Owners/breeders/trainers have put their contact information on horse's registration saying if they ever need a home to contact them, still doesn't stop it. Also whatever the story was when Zenyatta's 1/2 brother ended up in a kill pen, starving to death.

I just don't think some people realize that maybe the owner truly does need the money from selling the horse and I'm sure they don't want the horse to go to slaughter but they don't have the option to give it away free. Is it greed if selling the horse feeds their family or helps them keep the power/heat on in their home? Of course it could be that the horse in dangerous, that something happened to the owner and the family is getting rid of the horses, or they simply don't care. There is always a lot of things that could cause the end effect of a horse ending up in a kill pen. I know people are struggling financially all over because of covid still. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of horses at kill pens is increasing.

In the perfect world, horse slaughter wouldn't happen. But it would also be great if there was someplace that offered to give the owner some money at least to help them out if they need it but they'd get taken advantage of by the scumbags. Like how kill buyers buy horses they know will be popular and then charge bailouts way higher than the horse is worth to the slaughterhouse.
Excellent post. If the anti-slaughter absolutists want to do something productive, here's a idea: set up a humane euthanasia network to assist struggling owners of horses with permanent unsoundness, are dangerous, at the end of their lives, or simply unwanted. Because it's not just that kill buyers will pay for the horse, it's that they relieve the owner of the cost burden of euthanasia and disposal.

Crowd fund that instead of the feel good celebrity rescues.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 pm

Oscar Nominated has been retired for some time now, it's just taken a minute for him to get a stud deal. I'm happy he did end up with one though; he was a very nice horse and comes from a good family. I hope BG Thoroughbreds updates their website soon though.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
Diver52

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:09 pm

Katewerk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:24 pm
Mylute wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:49 pm I know. It's just that as years progress there are less and less excuses for this other than carelessness and greed (making one last buck from selling to slaughter). In a perfect world no horse would be slaughtered, but for now it is especially tragic when a stallion, broodmare, or stakes horse gets tossed to the wayside.

And I also know that good hearted people can be taken advantage of. The horse rescue in my area recently posted to FB that they received a tip about someone going around with a trailer offering to take unwanted horses.
But who do you think is to blame? The original farm in Kentucky where he stood for 5 years, the farm in Michigan where he stood for 7 years, the farm in Ohio where he stood for a year, the farm in Iowa where he stood for 2-3 years, the next owner who owned him for less than a year, the next owner, who knows how many owners after the Texas guy?

The sad truth is, there aren't enough homes for all the horses out there and most people aren't willing to take on a stallion. Sure someone along the way could have said, "hey we can find him a home, because of who he is. Maybe Old Friends would take him or help find him a spot." But that is assuming they know who he is, what he did and that they actually cared.

There are so many stories of people finding horses good homes and then something happens and they rehome to what they think is a good home, blah blah blah. Then the horse somehow ends up in a kill pen. I mean Adena had(maybe still has) an excellent retraining, rehoming program, doing everything right, checking the prospective new owners, etc. It didn't stop one of their horses from being slaughtered. Or that "rescue" who just took people's money and killed the horses anyway. Owners/breeders/trainers have put their contact information on horse's registration saying if they ever need a home to contact them, still doesn't stop it. Also whatever the story was when Zenyatta's 1/2 brother ended up in a kill pen, starving to death.

I just don't think some people realize that maybe the owner truly does need the money from selling the horse and I'm sure they don't want the horse to go to slaughter but they don't have the option to give it away free. Is it greed if selling the horse feeds their family or helps them keep the power/heat on in their home? Of course it could be that the horse in dangerous, that something happened to the owner and the family is getting rid of the horses, or they simply don't care. There is always a lot of things that could cause the end effect of a horse ending up in a kill pen. I know people are struggling financially all over because of covid still. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of horses at kill pens is increasing.

In the perfect world, horse slaughter wouldn't happen. But it would also be great if there was someplace that offered to give the owner some money at least to help them out if they need it but they'd get taken advantage of by the scumbags. Like how kill buyers buy horses they know will be popular and then charge bailouts way higher than the horse is worth to the slaughterhouse.
Excellent post. If the anti-slaughter absolutists want to do something productive, here's a idea: set up a humane euthanasia network to assist struggling owners of horses with permanent unsoundness, are dangerous, at the end of their lives, or simply unwanted. Because it's not just that kill buyers will pay for the horse, it's that they relieve the owner of the cost burden of euthanasia and disposal.

That's actually an excellent idea and I wish some group like the TAA would consider something like that. Providing actual care is important, but providing a humane exit for an animal that is not salvageable or has no future is something I would definitely get behind. (Full disclosure, I just let my old dog go with in-home euthanasia, so I may be particularly sensitive on the subject of humane exits and when euthanasia is the best option.)
I ran marathons. I saw the Taj Mahal by Moonlight. I drove Highway 1 in a convertible. I petted Zenyatta.
TapitsGal

Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:29 am

Diver52 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:09 pm
Katewerk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:24 pm

That's actually an excellent idea and I wish some group like the TAA would consider something like that. Providing actual care is important, but providing a humane exit for an animal that is not salvageable or has no future is something I would definitely get behind. (Full disclosure, I just let my old dog go with in-home euthanasia, so I may be particularly sensitive on the subject of humane exits and when euthanasia is the best option.)
I'm so sorry about your dog...my friends ottb who I ABSOLUTELY ADORE is 29 and will be 30 this year..my biggest fear is that she's going to lose him this year and I think she has similar thoughts...she's made a horse bucket list for him(moonlight walk, gentle bareback ride on the beach, lots of love, carrots etc) that they've started working on. He's been off his feed a few times lately for a few days at a time which is giving us all heart attacks... Then the other day he nearly pulled her arm out of it's socket going out to the field the other day. His jockey club name is Fiesty Wayne(I think the name fits... although the one time I rode him there was NOTHING Fiesty about him...he wouldn't go faster than a walk...my riding instructor hollered from the center of the outdoor ring to ride him like seabiscuit)...he has buckpasser on top and northern dancer both top and bottom. He also descends from War Admiral which makes me wonder if that's where his personality is from..I don't know much about his dad Wayne's Crane
Gemini

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:37 pm

Flanders wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm
Hasn't been in Iowa for 4 years..He hasn't stood at Rockin River for 5 years, was sold to a women in Southern Iowa, not a TB person, a QH breeder that was using him to breed barrel horses. What I was told, he was getting harder for her to handle and she sold him to a guy in TX ..
So he left Rockin River in 2017, went somewhere else, that lady was breeding barrel horses. Then she sold him to Texas, that is still 3-4 years ago. Who knows what happened in those 3-4 years.
Unfortunately, many people involved with breeding QHs and barrel racers can't be trusted to NOT send a horse to slaughter. This is why QHs far outnumber all other breeds found in the kill pen.
Ziggypop

Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:45 pm

Gemini wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:37 pm
Hasn't been in Iowa for 4 years..He hasn't stood at Rockin River for 5 years, was sold to a women in Southern Iowa, not a TB person, a QH breeder that was using him to breed barrel horses. What I was told, he was getting harder for her to handle and she sold him to a guy in TX ..
So he left Rockin River in 2017, went somewhere else, that lady was breeding barrel horses. Then she sold him to Texas, that is still 3-4 years ago. Who knows what happened in those 3-4 years.
Unfortunately, many people involved with breeding QHs and barrel racers can't be trusted to NOT send a horse to slaughter. This is why QHs far outnumber all other breeds found in the kill pen.
AQHA spends a lot of money, spends the most money, lobbying for slaughter. I don’t even know anyone who owns any QH these days because they are disgusted with the QH industry.
Gemini

Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:25 pm

Ziggypop wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:45 pm
Gemini wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:37 pm

AQHA spends a lot of money, spends the most money, lobbying for slaughter. I don’t even know anyone who owns any QH these days because they are disgusted with the QH industry.
When I was a kid, most of my early lessons were on QHs. I learned basic dressage and jumped tiny fences with these horses. They're wonderful animals-- no reason they should get dumped so carelessly.
Mylute
Location: within 30 miles of your current location and proceeding rapidly. be warned.

Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:58 pm

Greatbullsoffire (Bullsbay) will entered stud at Manchio Racing in Pennsylvania.
Only user to pick Rich Strike (89-1) in the 2022 Derby Pool Contest. | 2x Greatest Handicapper of All Time (2022 - 23) (2023 - 24) ✧ I kissed I'll Have Another! ✧
TapitsGal

Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:23 pm

The Deputy is SAFE and at donna keens remember me rescue...has a forever home there
Mylute

Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:44 pm

G3W Draft Pick (Candy Ride x Firehouse Red) will stand in Peru.
https://www.turfdiario.com/con-draft-pi ... andy-ride/
Mylute

Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:01 pm

3 SW today for Liam's Map.

Crazy Beautiful - G2 Gulfstream Park Oaks
Churn N Burn - G2 Pan American
Basin - Rushaway S.

2 for Ghostzapper

Mystic Guide - G1 DWC
Visitant - Kentucky Cup Classic
Nenikikamen23

Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:59 pm

Coolmore's freshman stallion CARAVAGGIO got his first winner from two runners as TENEBRISM, o/o MG1W Immortal Verse, breaks her maiden over 5F at Naas. Caravaggio's Silver Surfer previously ran 4th as the sire's first runner.
A is for Arrogate, A is for absolute superstar, A is for anointing
tachyon

Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:16 am

Mer de Glace(JPN)(Rulership), 2019 G1 Caulfield Cup winner in Australia, will become a stallion in Turkey.
Retrospectiv

Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:35 am

Phipps' graded stakes winner Performer has been retired after yet another ankle injury. Will enter stud at Claiborne in 2022

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing ... 8mY64SI8eQ
"It's been my policy to view the Internet not as an 'information highway', but as an electronic asylum filled with babbling loonies."
Mylute

Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:47 am

Excellent.
Mylute

Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:55 pm

Alphabet Soup turns 30 today.
TapitsGal

Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:38 pm

AP Indy would have been 32 today. I saw the pics lanes end posted on Facebook where they bought the staff in the stallion barn cakes to celebrate his birthday....I thought it was really sweet and a nice tribute to him that they celebrated his birthday even though AP is gone
Diver52

Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:39 am

TapitsGal wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:38 pm AP Indy would have been 32 today. I saw the pics lanes end posted on Facebook where they bought the staff in the stallion barn cakes to celebrate his birthday....I thought it was really sweet and a nice tribute to him that they celebrated his birthday even though AP is gone
I'm going to celebrate several dog births/adoptions/deaths in April, not to mention Native Diver's foaling April 16--so a whole lotta champagne going down this month. No, I haven't been drinking more during the pandemic. I was at critical level well before that. :)
Calypso

Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:04 pm

Diver52 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:39 am
TapitsGal wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:38 pm AP Indy would have been 32 today. I saw the pics lanes end posted on Facebook where they bought the staff in the stallion barn cakes to celebrate his birthday....I thought it was really sweet and a nice tribute to him that they celebrated his birthday even though AP is gone
I'm going to celebrate several dog births/adoptions/deaths in April, not to mention Native Diver's foaling April 16--so a whole lotta champagne going down this month. No, I haven't been drinking more during the pandemic. I was at critical level well before that. :)
Add another on Apr 18th for Cigar.
Soylent green is....tasty!!!